No
25%

Total votes: 4

falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

What if: nets trade for rasheed wallace in 2003 

Post#1 » by falcolombardi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 pm

What would it look like if they added rashed wallace. Could they have won a ring in 2004?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,189

Re: What if: nets trade for rasheed wallace in 2003 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:22 pm

That's an interesting one. Given Sheed's major contributions to Detroit, and LA's major dysfunction in 2004, I think it's quite possible. Not a given, but certainly in the realm of possibility. I guess it depends on who they give up, though. Are we talking about replacing Kenyon Martin?
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#3 » by falcolombardi » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:51 pm

tsherkin wrote:That's an interesting one. Given Sheed's major contributions to Detroit, and LA's major dysfunction in 2004, I think it's quite possible. Not a given, but certainly in the realm of possibility. I guess it depends on who they give up, though. Are we talking about replacing Kenyon Martin?

Well the pistons traded michael curry for lindsay hunter, then traded hunter and chucky atkins plus a late first (would become tony allen) for rasheed

Curry and atkins were 6th and 7th highest minutes players in the 2003 pistons at 20~ mins per game

Nets equivalent would be jason collins + mutombo and a pick

So: kidd/kittles/jefferson/rasheed/kenyon is their lineup

Lucious harris/rodney rogers/aaron williams/alonzo mourning and brian scalabrine their top 5 bench guys per minutes
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:16 pm

While Sheed Martin frontcourt would work, I don't know if they realize it in 2004, especially in a league with Shaq reigning.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,189

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:04 am

falcolombardi wrote:
tsherkin wrote:That's an interesting one. Given Sheed's major contributions to Detroit, and LA's major dysfunction in 2004, I think it's quite possible. Not a given, but certainly in the realm of possibility. I guess it depends on who they give up, though. Are we talking about replacing Kenyon Martin?

Well the pistons traded michael curry for lindsay hunter, then traded hunter and chucky atkins plus a late first (would become tony allen) for rasheed

Curry and atkins were 6th and 7th highest minutes players in the 2003 pistons at 20~ mins per game

Nets equivalent would be jason collins + mutombo and a pick

So: kidd/kittles/jefferson/rasheed/kenyon is their lineup

Lucious harris/rodney rogers/aaron williams/alonzo mourning and brian scalabrine their top 5 bench guys per minutes

Fair! And yes, if they moved their centers for Sheed, that would be very interesting. THe big guys they had didn't end up helping them much with Shaq except as foul depth. Mutombo was too old at that point, and was better off focusing on everyone else, but they'd miss both of them regardless. Still, Sheed would have been a great addition. He still had a bunch left in the tank, even if his numbers weren't super impressive.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#6 » by Jaivl » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:38 am

Dr Positivity wrote:While Sheed Martin frontcourt would work, I don't know if they realize it in 2004, especially in a league with Shaq reigning.

By 2004 Shaq is not close to the top 2.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#7 » by homecourtloss » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:22 pm

Nets become much better, and I think they have a good shot at beating the Spurs and peak Duncan. 2003 and 2004 Sheed is a high two-way impact player who would improve a top ranked defense in 2003. That Finals series was close enough though the games the Nets won they could have easily lost so no guarantee. I’d love to see a Sheed/Kidd duo, though.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 am

The question is, do you get Sheed to buy in? With Kidd around, I’d think so. But Sheed’s focus and commitment were always an issue — as soon as he felt uninvolved or a game didn’t matter, he was shooting threes, talking trash, and getting in foul trouble. Motivated Sheed was something else, though. Post offense, post defense, defensive awareness, the whole bit.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:42 am

I don’t think Sheed pushes every team over the top. Detroit was very very deep even before Sheed and were still getting better each year up to that point.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to Player Comparisons