68%

Total votes: 31

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,474

Re: Duncan 2003 vs. Dirk 2011, who disrupted the ATG landscape more 

Post#21 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:11 pm

AEnigma wrote:I was actually looking at the backhanded nature of “they beat an underachieving, self-destructing 5-seed, that at best was going to eek out one more title,” but your theory that Lakers fans would be deeply offended by the notion that for a third consecutive year the team did not take the regular season seriously, that clear fractures were starting to develop between Kobe and Shaq, and that a team which in fact did not win another title together would merely win one more “at best,” is certainly an interesting and unique one!

I know you like to operate with a presumption that people may act as though posts occur in a vacuum, but some of us have longer memories of those uh prior-informed “fixations”. :wink:

Very interesting that someone who joined RealGM would brag about having a long memory to someone who has been here since 2005.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#22 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:12 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
dygaction wrote:Not to discuss which is more difficult or more single core but to see which run impacted the landscape of top 20 players more.
TD's 2003 put TD in secure place as the best PF ever; gave GDP core a chance to grow; add one more ring to DRob; Stopped Shaq's 4 peat; weakened the Shaq/Kobe duo for the long run.
Dirk along the way, proved he can win as the best player; quenched Kobe's chance for 3 peat; delayed Durant/Westbrook/Harden's growth; add a big stain on LeBron's legacy or potential 3 peat.

I said Dirk.

Dirk leading the Mavs to a title completely changed not only his narrative but the idea about the only way to win a title as a big.

When Duncan an the Spurs beat the Lakers in '02-03, they did so led by a traditional big, and they beat an underachieving, self-destructing 5-seed, that at best was going to eek out one more title.

"When curry an the warriors beat the cavaliers in '14-15, they did so with a big led defense, and they beat a terribly injured 2-seed, that at best was going to be able to make the finals"

You can make anythingh look unimpressive if you present their rivals in the worst way possible and not in how good they still were or how much less "help" duncan had compared to shaq (or kobe)

I never said what Duncan did was unimpressive. I consider Duncan in general to be considerably more impressive than Dirk, I'm just speaking to the prompt in this thread.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#23 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:15 pm

rk2023 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
dygaction wrote:Not to discuss which is more difficult or more single core but to see which run impacted the landscape of top 20 players more.
TD's 2003 put TD in secure place as the best PF ever; gave GDP core a chance to grow; add one more ring to DRob; Stopped Shaq's 4 peat; weakened the Shaq/Kobe duo for the long run.
Dirk along the way, proved he can win as the best player; quenched Kobe's chance for 3 peat; delayed Durant/Westbrook/Harden's growth; add a big stain on LeBron's legacy or potential 3 peat.

I said Dirk.

Dirk leading the Mavs to a title completely changed not only his narrative but the idea about the only way to win a title as a big.

When Duncan an the Spurs beat the Lakers in '02-03, they did so led by a traditional big, and they beat an underachieving, self-destructing 5-seed, that at best was going to eek out one more title.

I'd like to pushback on this, as I voted and am confident with Duncan here; Though I respect the Dirk nod and think that his and Dallas' 2011 campaign was special - both in real-time and nowadays. Much respect to a class-act like him and his NBA journey.

With his narrative, I fully agree - in that up until 2011 there were a fair share of concerns about Dirk despite a very impressive statistical foot-print and many ATG series (particularly as a scorer) he obtained through that point. Some examples are the 2008-10 series, anything in 2006 until the finals, and even back to to 2004 and before. I think 2005 and 2007 being small samples shade some Dirk perception in a very negative manner, and frankly shouldn't take away from his body of work.. even before the 2010-11 campaign played out in itself.

When it comes to winning a series in an unorthodox way as a big, I find this true at face value. There's no doubt he was the most impactful player on the Mavs team - his RAPM score of 8.6 is quite amazing on an all-time scale, and his on/off was ~17.1. With that said and back to the point of roster construction, there are some effects of co-linearity (3.0 D-RAPM & 5.6 Defensive Rating Swing) even with a clear MVP+ foot-print. Part of enabling such a different definition of being a title-catalyzing big was enabled by Kidd, Chandler, and Marions' work on the defensive end. To play a little devil's advocate, the fact that Dirk playing the 4 and having the amazing spacing, shot-making, and low turnover economy he brought to the table enabled this construction as well. If you have read ElGee's work(s) in Thinking Basketball, there is great rhetoric presented of such a "lone star illusion", where the 2003 Spurs funnily enough are cited as well.

Onto Duncan:

[
b]
Duncan's 2003 PS run:[/b]

All stats per 75

24.8 aPts on +6.2%rTS
12 FTA / 100 Poss and 1.5 ScoreVal
14.3 Rebounds (3.75 on Offense)
5.0 Assists
3.1 Blocks
7.3 Passer Rating
37.8 O-Load
8.7 BackPicks BPM (4.5 OBPM) , 10.2 BBR BPM (6.2 O)
.279 WS/48
7.4 Augmented +/- Per Game (4th all time behind 2017 Curry, and 17/09 James)
7.91 Full-Season PIPM
27 On/Off Net Rating Swing, 105.6-96.6 (+9) on floor vs. 87.6-105.6 off floor.

This doesn't even get into the eye test, where there is a ton to like about Duncan as a defensive anchor (in the context of 2003 San Antonio, took a very solid defensive slanted team to GOAT-lite levels) and a floor-raiser with his post scoring, ability to garner fouls, and underrated passing and playmaking acumen (pretty great rim assist-rates, iirc / 1-in 4-out playmaking based off of teams' reacting to Duncan's scoring threat). Basically any impact metric available regards this season not too far from some of the highest seasons charted. He could have at the least some argument over these three

I mentioned this in an earlier thread on the impact / classification of the best "two-way" player, arguing that Duncan at his apex has a case for this prestigious title (not that I believe this, I personally think Kareem brought the most aggregate value out of big-men at his very best). While I agree that them getting over the hump of our defending 3-peat team and the Kobe-Shaq pairing was due to less depth and sort of a Shaq coasting/missing time effect (this shows in the RS SRS of ~2.7 points and only being a 50 win team). For some context though, defense was more the problem than Offense - as LA's ORTG was 107.2, good for fourth in the league. The twin tower pairing of Duncan and Robinson held them to a ORTG of 103.6 - 3.6 points below their average. This trend continued through all four series, as the Spurs had a defensive rating (relative to opponent efficiency) of -8.7 and at 96.6 with Duncan on / 94.4 with Duncan on & D-Rob off. What I find more impressive are the series against Dallas (https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2003-nba-western-conference-finals-mavericks-vs-spurs.html) and New Jersey (https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2003-nba-finals-nets-vs-spurs.html) where Duncan played good enough as a scorer/creator to keep the Spurs afloat on offense, while anchoring the defense and thwarting both teams well under their average marks. These were both top 4 SRS teams, including Dallas' #1 SRS team that season and a Nets team with a ~98 DRTG - good for first in the league.

When I think of crashing the ATG scene/landscape, a run like this is what I personally think of - and impact signals unanimously love this season. Furthermore from a resume viewpoint, this campaign gave Duncan his second MVP and Finals MVP on a team that seemed to be a secondary-shout due to LA's 3-peat. Some people may look at all-time/vintage playoff runs where one goes the extra miles to get their club over the finish line and this certainly stamps Duncan in that regard.

Apologies if this comes off in a very argumentative lens , just my (very longly worded) 2 cents! :D

Fair enough.

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,189

Post#24 » by AEnigma » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:18 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
AEnigma wrote:I was actually looking at the backhanded nature of “they beat an underachieving, self-destructing 5-seed, that at best was going to eek out one more title,” but your theory that Lakers fans would be deeply offended by the notion that for a third consecutive year the team did not take the regular season seriously, that clear fractures were starting to develop between Kobe and Shaq, and that a team which in fact did not win another title together would merely win one more “at best,” is certainly an interesting and unique one!

I know you like to operate with a presumption that people may act as though posts occur in a vacuum, but some of us have longer memories of those uh prior-informed “fixations”. :wink:

Very interesting that someone who joined RealGM would brag about having a long memory to someone who has been here since 2005.

Very interesting that you see those as connected on a forum where posts are generally permanent.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:32 pm

AEnigma wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

Very interesting that you see those as connected on a forum where posts are generally permanent.

Why would you brag about having a long memory if you're just searching old posts?

AEnigma
Veteran

Post#26 » by AEnigma » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:09 pm

Better question is how you managed to interpret “some of us remember posts made outside a singular thread” as a brag.
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#27 » by parsnips33 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I don't think either disrupted it meaningfully. I mean I guess the answer is Timmy simply because he is a GOAT candidate himself whereas Dirk is not. And I have Lebron as my GOAT so I don't have him losing a series where his team lost to a superior team as derailing his GOAT candidacy and have never understood why so many still think it does after everything Lebron has done after that series.

Now if one has Shaq as a GOAT candidate that only shifts this further in Timmy's direction I suppose, but I don't have Shaq(nor Kobe) in that conversation.

I felt like Doc was answering a different question than the OP is asking? He may be correct that Dirk changed his own legacy more than Tim did his(and I would agree). He may be correct that Dirk showed us a new paradigm for building a championship team(and I would agree). But I didn't think those were the question? Maybe I'm confused.

Doesn't shifting the paradigm like this necessarily disrupt the way ATGs are discussed/conceived? Maybe not in as direct a way as "Duncan is an all-time great, so his winning a ring affects his placement amongst other ATGs" but more so in changing the way players/teams are evaluated broadly?

At least that's how I interpreted Doc's post
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#28 » by parsnips33 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:55 pm

The back and forth is childish and distracting

Not every thread has to have a Winner and a Loser, we can actually just have a productive conversation if we try
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,987

Post#29 » by falcolombardi » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:10 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
I said Dirk.

"When curry an the warriors beat the cavaliers in '14-15, they did so with a big led defense, and they beat a terribly injured 2-seed, that at best was going to be able to make the finals"

You can make anythingh look unimpressive if you present their rivals in the worst way possible and not in how good they still were or how much less "help" duncan had compared to shaq (or kobe)

I never said what Duncan did was unimpressive. I consider Duncan in general to be considerably more impressive than Dirk, I'm just speaking to the prompt in this thread.

The issue is that your post put the 2003 lakers in the worst framing possible without considering the same can be done to the 2011 heat

Is like if i diminished the 2011 mavs win over miami by saying "they were just a disfunctional (fit rather than player chemistry) team with no depth or shooting that was not what they would be in their title runs"

And i could frame the 2003 lakers as a dinasty team led by 2 all time great players with two top 10~ ever players in their primes fresh off a title run

Suddendly duncan win sounds way more impressive than dirk win. That duncan 2003 didnt have as much "narrative" legacy as dirk 2011 is not caused by differences in the strenght of their rivals or a difference between duncan and dirk own play

Is caused by lebron free agency decision in 2010 making him one of the most cheered against athlete of all time whereas spurs dinasty was historically understated by media.the difference was an outside the court one

If kobe and shaq were as hated as lebron was in 2011 or it happened in the finals vs conference you can be sure duncan win would be given way more historical relevance than it is given now
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#30 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:49 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Very interesting that you see those as connected on a forum where posts are generally permanent.

Why would you brag about having a long memory if you're just searching old posts?

AEnigma wrote:Better question is how you managed to interpret “some of us remember posts made outside a singular thread” as a brag.

So y'all, I just want to make clear that Aenigma's last post was responding to my quote above. As you can see, it's non-sequitur. This is the same guy who just jumped in here simply to bash me after just having an antagonistic argument in a recent thread.

He's clearly not operating in good faith with me.

AEnigma, I'm done with you. Please stop responding to my posts.

OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,838

Post#31 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:28 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
AEnigma wrote:Very interesting that you see those as connected on a forum where posts are generally permanent.

AEnigma wrote:Better question is how you managed to interpret “some of us remember posts made outside a singular thread” as a brag.

So y'all, I just want to make clear that Aenigma's last post was responding to my quote above. As you can see, it's non-sequitur.

Actually I think he was responding, at least part, to this one here...
Doctor MJ wrote:

Correct me if I'm off, but isn't this a text-book non-sequitur? Your memory was never the focus here. It was the idea that a poster's previous posts can color how newer posts are perceived. FWIW, I typically try to address what people say as if it was in a vacuum(though I have slipped on that front at different points), but both you and Enig seem to like to reference post-history to comment on the motivations underlying posts(you did this in the +/- thread most recently). I don't have an issue with that approach per-say, but this seems like a natural extension of that.

This is the same guy who just jumped in here simply to bash me after just having an antagonistic argument in a recent thread.

Are you referencing the +/- thread? Because my recollection is various people brought up nuances pretty respectfully and you acknowledged that the effort you put into the post was prompting you to take otherwise innocuous commentary negatively. I certainly don't think you were "antagonized" there(lots of praise actually IIRC).
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#32 » by AEnigma » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:40 pm

I encourage any readers to take this as something “made clear” rather than a response to any specific instance of petulance.

Here is the entire relevant chain, seeing as in the interest of good faith it would be irresponsible and inconsiderate to try to manipulate the discussion otherwise:
AEnigma wrote:I know you like to operate with a presumption that people may act as though posts occur in a vacuum, but some of us have longer memories of those uh prior-informed “fixations”.
Poster#2 wrote:Very interesting that someone who joined RealGM would brag about having a long memory to someone who has been here since 2005.
Poster#2 wrote: would you brag about having a long memory if you're just searching old posts?

And for context from Page 1: Poster #2 downplayed the impressiveness of the 2003 Spurs run in much the way they have in the past tried to downplay the importance of Duncan to that team and to the Spurs in general. I made a one-line joke about how that came across, and then when Poster #2 tried to portray the phrasing as neutral, I explained what specifically I thought was the objectionable portion before, as we see at the top of that chain, explaining that these types of coded posts do not exist in a vacuum.

With that prelude established, we see Poster #2 take a comment about how posts do not occur in a vacuum and ascribe to it “bragging,” and then as a non-sequitur talk about how obviously the person who has been on the forum for a long time would have the best memory. To me, that seems grossly disconnected with anything “good faith”, but hey, everyone has their own definition. I point out length of time here is disconnected with ability to know what people have written, and Poster #2 again imputes a “bragging” label onto me, at which point I ask how any of this constitutes a brag.

So much for “non-sequiturs” and interest in “good faith” interactions. Personally, I recognise forums as a place where stances are likely to receive pushback, and I personally make it a point to justify and defend my stances when challenged rather than lament how no one properly appreciates them, but again, everyone seems to have their own definition of what constitutes productive basketball discussion, and I recognise there is no universal definition of how that is best developed.

Funny thing is, I agree Dirk’s 2011 is the better answer to the original thread question, which is of course not who performed better or had less support. The difference is I have no particular desire to take subtle digs at Duncan or the 2003 Spurs to defend that stance, and when in other contexts I do offer those subtle digs, it is with the knowledge that someone may end up highlighting or questioning or pushing back against them. In fact, I personally am not sure how I could spend eighteen years on a forum and still not expect pushback on any such posts I make, but like I said, everyone is different…
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#33 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:52 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

The issue is that your post put the 2003 lakers in the worst framing possible without considering the same can be done to the 2011 heat

Is like if i diminished the 2011 mavs win over miami by saying "they were just a disfunctional (fit rather than player chemistry) team with no depth or shooting that was not what they would be in their title runs"

And i could frame the 2003 lakers as a dinasty team led by 2 all time great players with two top 10~ ever players in their primes fresh off a title run

Suddendly duncan win sounds way more impressive than dirk win. That duncan 2003 didnt have as much "narrative" legacy as dirk 2011 is not caused by differences in the strenght of their rivals or a difference between duncan and dirk own play

Is caused by lebron free agency decision in 2010 making him one of the most cheered against athlete of all time whereas spurs dinasty was historically understated by media.the difference was an outside the court one

If kobe and shaq were as hated as lebron was in 2011 or it happened in the finals vs conference you can be sure duncan win would be given way more historical relevance than it is given now

So listen, I think people are getting triggered by the tone of my statement in my initial post in the thread, and I have to admit I understand that the chain of negatively-charged statements is something I should be more careful if I want to enjoy my time here...and so I should have known better than to phrase it as pithily as I did.

I apologize for that slip. I'll try to be better.

But, I have to say I object to the idea that, in the process of a player comparison, if I point out something of a negative about one, I have to point out something negative about the other. Just fundamentally, I don't understand why you would expect someone to do this on every point. The nature of debate is that there are always gaps in the conclusion/explanation presented, and that one finds a gap in the other person's presentation, and uses it to create a presentation that makes the best conclusion/explanation - which is now something other than one was presented before.

What you're doing instead here is framing the discussion about me - as if I've done something that is somewhere in the spectrum of "structurally wrong" to "latent bias" to "pre-meditated manipulation" that must be addressed publicly in a thread where people are trying to talk about basketball. (You're also doing it in the same thread where someone is actively harassing me, which given the order of the posting, feels like you literally taking the side of the harasser, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you didn't realize this.)

But aside of the anti-social vibe of such a framing, there's the very real threat that you're just resisting dealing with correct information if you think it smacks of "bias", and you starting to see "bias" everywhere.

To finish with my basketball thought here:

You're not factoring in the magnitude differential here in the analogies you're drawing. The '02-03 Lakers were an utter train wreck, and while everyone thought they might still win the title, everyone knew that the Shaq-Kobe strife was coming to a head again, and this time it seemed like they were struggling to hit the proverbial switch.

And this was seen as a really big deal because everyone was 100% convinced that the Shaq-Kobe Lakers had already proven to be one of the dominant, great championship runs in NBA history. The consensus thought was that it couldn't hold together, and the consensus thought was correct.

Had this instead been a situation where the Shaq-Kobe Lakers still looked like dominant champs, and then here comes Prime-Duncan and elevates his team to a level even beyond the Lakers...Duncan would have been seen very differently than he was.

And here's the thing: I think the fact that newer people are starting to call me Duncan-hater is tied to the fact that people coming along later, learning the information of the past differently than those who learned it in the slow-boiling stew that is life-in-real-time, is causing a difference in vantage point which is leading to different ranking tendencies.

The fact that this exists is no tragedy - it's how the present becomes the past always. It is what it is.

While I would suggest that there is ontological value in trying to understand how people drew the conclusions they did at the time, I think the more socially tangible point is the toxicity of assuming malevolent motivations for all who came before rather than asking what they were missing at the time than you in the here and now are able to see?

I think folks are starting to overrate Duncan. I might be wrong, and it could be that my discussions with the people I think overrate Duncan might drive me toward emotional clouds...but just remember that I was watching Duncan for years before I started having this sort of interaction pertaining to Duncan. It's really something that came about in the wake of the 2014 champs...which was one of the most enjoyable team seasons ever, and something that certainly has helped everyone major player involved (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Kawhi, Pop, Green, Diaw, etc) on any player comparison evaluations I've done since.

But I think it probably hits a bit differently to those who consumed the entirety of the Spurs run largely at once. Here's a telicity - a completed arc - to his career that creates an anchor of meaning. I think we all feel it, but perhaps those of us who can see how it could have been otherwise, as opposed to something inevitable, aren't quite hit with it with the same force.

Okay, to complete the basketball thought by addressing the Heatle example:

It's completely fine to bring up the context of the defeat of the Heat, but I didn't mention it because I didn't feel a need to address it beyond what had already been mentioned. Why? Well, to the extent it relates to the Shaq-Kobe statement, it's because I think the '10-11 Heat were considerably stronger than the '02-03 Lakers, and that Peak Heatle was nowhere near as strong as Peak Shaq-Kobe Lakers.

Had the fact that the Heatles had not yet peaked had the same magnitude as the post-peak Lakers, then I expect I'd have either mentioned both or neither (or it slipped my mind and I'd agree I should have mentioned it).

But that's not how I see things, and I'm literally trying to communicate how I see things when I post.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#34 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:18 pm

OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

So y'all, I just want to make clear that Aenigma's last post was responding to my quote above. As you can see, it's non-sequitur.

Actually I think he was responding, at least part, to this one here...
Doctor MJ wrote:

No, the exchanged continued from there to the post I re-posted. Go back and look post-by-post. He jumps back to this post after I respond to his other point, and he's doing so in a way that doesn't make you realize it would be his second reply to the same post of mine - because the second time, when quoting is obviously more helpful for context, he doesn't use a quote.

OhayoKD wrote:Correct me if I'm off, but isn't this a text-book non-sequitur? Your memory was never the focus here. It was the idea that a poster's previous posts can color how newer posts are perceived. FWIW, I typically try to address what people say as if it was in a vacuum(though I have slipped on that front at different points), but both you and Enig seem to like to reference post-history to comment on the motivations underlying posts(you did this in the +/- thread most recently). I don't have an issue with that approach per-say, but this seems like a natural extension of that.

Take a step back here.

I'm not calling his post a non-sequitur because non-sequitor is a great sin. I'm pointing it out to point out the manipulation he was doing that I didn't think others would catch - and I'm glad I did, because it seems like it works so well that people are missing it even after I call attention to it.

Go back to the start of the thread. See how he started the conversation with me by making the conversation about me and my emotions. See how all of this interaction stems from there, and you're confusing him dragging me into this muck with two people whose behavior is symmetric toward each other.

And please as you do this, try at least to just address what happened here without pre-tainting the words of the person who is pointing it out with the assumption of bias. The fact that I'm one of the two parties involved here doesn't matter other than make it so that it would be inappropriate to try to get him in official trouble. What's important here is the antagonistic phenomenon which has just bloomed on the social internet, and what it's doing to the nature of our discourse.

OhayoKD wrote:
This is the same guy who just jumped in here simply to bash me after just having an antagonistic argument in a recent thread.

Are you referencing the +/- thread? Because my recollection is various people brought up nuances pretty respectfully and you acknowledged that the effort you put into the post was prompting you to take otherwise innocuous commentary negatively. I certainly don't think you were "antagonized" there(lots of praise actually IIRC).

Here's the link to my last response to him on that thread.

Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,484

Post#35 » by Jaivl » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:22 pm

parsnips33 wrote:The back and forth is childish and distracting

Not every thread has to have a Winner and a Loser, we can actually just have a productive conversation if we try

On one hand, yeah, get into a ring or something.

But on the other hand, "DoctorMJ is a far better poster than anyone else here. All his points in this thread are not only valid but carry a level of weight that would sink a rubberized yellow plastic duck." is one of the funniest things ever written on this board and made me chuckle out loud.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
OhayoKD
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,838

Post#36 » by OhayoKD » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:52 pm

Hmm, alright, I'll start with the basketball side of this
Doctor MJ wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Okay, to complete the basketball thought by addressing the Heatle example:

It's completely fine to bring up the context of the defeat of the Heat, but I didn't mention it because I didn't feel a need to address it beyond what had already been mentioned. Why? Well, to the extent it relates to the Shaq-Kobe statement, it's because I think the '10-11 Heat were considerably stronger than the '02-03 Lakers, and that Peak Heatle was nowhere near as strong as Peak Shaq-Kobe Lakers.

So I actually largely agree with you here. Looking at 2010-2011, the Heat led the league in srs(61-win pace). obliterated their conference(12-3, including a 4-1 win over the 60 win 2011 Bulls), and proceeded to post a +13.7 rating with the big-three in the lineup the following playoffs. If we take the Mavs out of the picture, the Heat were actually fairly dominant from 11-13 with the only real knock(besides their loss to the Mavericks) being an uncomfortably close series against the 2013 Pacers(basically decided by hibbert needing to use the bathroom).

Dirk had considerably more help, and their decisive series was closer, but there's not much to be had here in terms of positive argumentation. That being said...

Had the fact that the Heatles had not yet peaked had the same magnitude as the post-peak Lakers, then I expect I'd have either mentioned both or neither (or it slipped my mind and I'd agree I should have mentioned it).

But that's not how I see things, and I'm literally trying to communicate how I see things when I post.

Is there a meaningful difference in impressiveness between defeating an "about to peak" opponent as opposed to "an already peaked' one? Does the apex coming in the future offer some difficulty not present when the apex has already come in the past?

To non-basketball matters
What you're doing instead here is framing the discussion about me - as if I've done something that is somewhere in the spectrum of "structurally wrong" to "latent bias" to "pre-meditated manipulation" that must be addressed publicly in a thread where people are trying to talk about basketball. (You're also doing it in the same thread where someone is actively harassing me, which given the order of the posting, feels like you literally taking the side of the harasser, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt you didn't realize this.)

With all due respect(and I think you know I mean that sincerely), I don't know "harassment" is the right word to use here. While I suppose Enig's "duncan bitterness" does technically fit under "demeaning or embarrassing comment", your own comment about him "bragging" would also fit. But regardless of whether we should apply "harassment"(and its various connotations) to a couple of one-line jabs, saying that other posters are "siding with a harasser" seems over-the-top. I'd guess their reasoning(as mine take-away was similar), was that putting that line about the Lakers without also drawing a comparison to the Heat felt unbalanced.

But aside of the anti-social vibe of such a framing, there's the very real threat that you're just resisting dealing with correct information if you think it smacks of "bias", and you starting to see "bias" everywhere.

I mean, I'd say you went off-less to make similar claims about there being a general anti-curry bias motivating notes/critiques on your +/- derivation. Like, do remarks like "averages generally go down the longer you play" really serve as a strong indication of an anti-curry bias?

I think folks are starting to overrate Duncan. I might be wrong, and it could be that my discussions with the people I think overrate Duncan might drive me toward emotional clouds...but just remember that I was watching Duncan for years before I started having this sort of interaction pertaining to Duncan. It's really something that came about in the wake of the 2014 champs...which was one of the most enjoyable team seasons ever, and something that certainly has helped everyone major player involved (Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Kawhi, Pop, Green, Diaw, etc) on any player comparison evaluations I've done since.

But I think it probably hits a bit differently to those who consumed the entirety of the Spurs run largely at once. Here's a telicity - a completed arc - to his career that creates an anchor of meaning. I think we all feel it, but perhaps those of us who can see how it could have been otherwise, as opposed to something inevitable, aren't quite hit with it with the same force.

Eh, I'd say we're well off that(at least in a general sense). Duncan has an impact profile(wowy, AUPM(despite a bpm component), RAPM, ect) that compares favorably to what we have from shaq and jordan, is one of a handful of authors of a "lone-star title", is one of the most accomplished players in history, and is one of the best "off-court" influences we've ever seen(I know you weigh that). Yet, people often seem repulsed by him entering the same conversations we see Shaq, MJ, and Wilt in, largely due to a box-disparity in more offensively slanted in metrics we would expect to rate players who are smaller(steal/block accumulation) and more geared towards the other side of the court(far more of offense is accounted for).

What makes you feel Tim is overrated?
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#37 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:05 pm

Jaivl wrote:

But on the other hand, "DoctorMJ is a far better poster than anyone else here. All his points in this thread are not only valid but carry a level of weight that would sink a rubberized yellow plastic duck." is one of the funniest things ever written on this board and made me chuckle out loud.

We are fast approaching a very troubling event, the end of an era where people forget the real reality. Every decade or decade and half can seemingly be sectioned off into an era. The era I'm speaking of is the early to late 00s which brought us some of our greatest players of a generation. Some of the more prominent figures of this generation are Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd. These gentleman have carried a hefty weight on their shoulders and sadly people did not live through and remember their respective greatness. It is the responsibility of posters like DoctorMJ, tsherkin and even myself to remind posters of what happened in the past.

We are approaching 2023 and every player I mentioned is becoming a distant memory as if the sun is setting over a vast and open ocean on the horizon. We've held onto this generation for as long as we could but our grip is getting looser. With their imminent demise fast approaching, we must consider what will follow. A door is about to be slammed shut, filled with doubt and hazy memories of when we were living in days of MySpace and msn and yahoo messenger.

Do we have enough firepower in our back pockets to withstand this blow? Is realgm in good hands with the middling posters of this board? Will the ascent to an entirely new era be a swift one? Will there be harsh repercussion? Will we be swept by a generation of tik tokers and snapchatters posters.

I can not answer this but we can hope for the best. We can and we must succeed for the future depends on it.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,777

Post#38 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 pm

I'm old and witnessed Tim Duncan play his entire career in real time and think he is a GOAT candidate.

I disagree that younger posters who didn't have my opportunity who also rate him highly are guilty of overeating him based on one specific series.

I find that a fairly odd assumption to make.

Sent from my SM-A125U using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,175

Post#39 » by dygaction » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:24 am

Blame Rasho wrote:
Jaivl wrote:

We are fast approaching a very troubling event, the end of an era where people forget the real reality. Every decade or decade and half can seemingly be sectioned off into an era. The era I'm speaking of is the early to late 00s which brought us some of our greatest players of a generation. Some of the more prominent figures of this generation are Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, and Jason Kidd. These gentleman have carried a hefty weight on their shoulders and sadly people did not live through and remember their respective greatness. It is the responsibility of posters like DoctorMJ, tsherkin and even myself to remind posters of what happened in the past.

We are approaching 2023 and every player I mentioned is becoming a distant memory as if the sun is setting over a vast and open ocean on the horizon. We've held onto this generation for as long as we could but our grip is getting looser. With their imminent demise fast approaching, we must consider what will follow. A door is about to be slammed shut, filled with doubt and hazy memories of when we were living in days of MySpace and msn and yahoo messenger.

Do we have enough firepower in our back pockets to withstand this blow? Is realgm in good hands with the middling posters of this board? Will the ascent to an entirely new era be a swift one? Will there be harsh repercussion? Will we be swept by a generation of tik tokers and snapchatters posters.

I can not answer this but we can hope for the best. We can and we must succeed for the future depends on it.

Fail to understand the logic here. We are comparing Dirk and Duncan who had huge overlap in their career instead of just prime (18 years together in the same State), not Giannis and Duncan...
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,147

Post#40 » by AdagioPace » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:29 pm

OhayoKD wrote:Hmm, alright, I'll start with the basketball side of this
Doctor MJ wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:

So I actually largely agree with you here. Looking at 2010-2011, the Heat led the league in srs(61-win pace). obliterated their conference(12-3, including a 4-1 win over the 60 win 2011 Bulls), and proceeded to post a +13.7 rating with the big-three in the lineup the following playoffs. If we take the Mavs out of the picture, the Heat were actually fairly dominant from 11-13 with the only real knock(besides their loss to the Mavericks) being an uncomfortably close series against the 2013 Pacers(basically decided by hibbert needing to use the bathroom).

Dirk had considerably more help, and their decisive series was closer, but there's not much to be had here in terms of positive argumentation. That being said...

Is there a meaningful difference in impressiveness between defeating an "about to peak" opponent as opposed to "an already peaked' one? Does the apex coming in the future offer some difficulty not present when the apex has already come in the past?

To non-basketball matters

With all due respect(and I think you know I mean that sincerely), I don't know "harassment" is the right word to use here. While I suppose Enig's "duncan bitterness" does technically fit under "demeaning or embarrassing comment", your own comment about him "bragging" would also fit. But regardless of whether we should apply "harassment"(and its various connotations) to a couple of one-line jabs, saying that other posters are "siding with a harasser" seems over-the-top. I'd guess their reasoning(as mine take-away was similar), was that putting that line about the Lakers without also drawing a comparison to the Heat felt unbalanced.

I mean, I'd say you went off-less to make similar claims about there being a general anti-curry bias motivating notes/critiques on your +/- derivation. Like, do remarks like "averages generally go down the longer you play" really serve as a strong indication of an anti-curry bias?

Eh, I'd say we're well off that(at least in a general sense). Duncan has an impact profile(wowy, AUPM(despite a bpm component), RAPM, ect) that compares favorably to what we have from shaq and jordan, is one of a handful of authors of a "lone-star title", is one of the most accomplished players in history, and is one of the best "off-court" influences we've ever seen(I know you weigh that). Yet, people often seem repulsed by him entering the same conversations we see Shaq, MJ, and Wilt in, largely due to a box-disparity in more offensively slanted in metrics we would expect to rate players who are smaller(steal/block accumulation) and more geared towards the other side of the court(far more of offense is accounted for).

What makes you feel Tim is overrated?

let's say that Timmeh has never been DoctorMj's "favourite" player over the years :D (to use an euphemism).I say this with friendliness :D . I think he likes KG and Curry more (in all time sense) for portability and taking a Ben Taylor-like approach. I think TD fits too tightly the "traditional big man" profile which might not be seen as ideal for an NBA dominated by space and shooting (not my opinion of course, just putting myself in somebody else's shoes).
Having said that, yeah TD checks all the boxes even from a purely impact-based perspective.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes

Return to Player Comparisons