Was Jordan's supporting cast in 1997-98 weak?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

AEnigma
Veteran
And1: 4,229

Re: Was Jordan's supporting cast in 1997-98 weak? 

Post#121 » by AEnigma » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:50 pm

That must be why Scottie Pippen led a better team than any ever led by Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love Chris Bosh, or Dwyane Wade without Shaq. In fact, Pippen led a better team than any of Jordan’s predating Pippen joining him as a starter…

And look, I will be clear, Lebron did have one year of both Davis and Wade where they were probably more valuable than the typical Pippen year next to Jordan, and 1987/88 Jordan was a better player than peak Pippen. But players are more than their raw point per game totals (always sad how often I need to reiterate that), and teams are made up of more than the biggest names (sad how often I need to reiterate that too).

You can talk about “talent” all you want, but one player’s teams rarely could function without him, and the other’s could. Most people would reconsider their process of assessing talent when faced with that apparent contradiction, but instead now we get these half-baked explanations that obviously Mo Williams (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Dwyane Wade (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Kyrie Irving (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron and even spent more time with the ball than Lebron) are simultaneously excellent star talent comfortably clearing Scottie Pippen but also not people anyone could reasonably expect to lead offences without extra passers (for example, perhaps someone like Mario Chalmers…) next to them. :blank:
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 579

Post#122 » by tone wone » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Owly wrote:This is intended to be an only response.

An "only" response...feel free to not respond to this but I find your arguments wholly unconvincing. 1. it's not about Lebron's back up because "rotations" and because he's always been impactful, and 2. the guys listed either didn't play that much or aren't very good or both, so we can just dismiss the argument and avoid having to answer the harder questions.

Let's look at 2 first.

'08 and '09 supporting cast mins and ON NRTG:

Devin Brown: 1762 mins '08 / 0.0 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09
Drew Gooden: 1564 mins '08 / -1.1 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09
Larry Hughes: 1210 mins '08 / -4.4 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09
Ira Newble: 650 mins '08 / -11.1 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09

Mo Williams: 0 mins '08 / n/a NRTG '08 / 2834 mins '09 / +11.3 NRTG
Andy Verajao: 1320 mins '08 / +4.3 NRTG '08 / 2306 mins '09 / +11.2 NRTG 09
Delonte West: 806 mins '08 / +2.8 NRTG '08 / 2152 mins '09 / +15.2 NRTG '09
Ben Wallace: 578 mins '08 / +0.2 NRTG '08 / 1314 mins '09 / +18.2 NRTG '09

So, basically you're swapping out 5186 less helpful mins for 5902 more helpful mins before we even get into potentially controversial guys like Wally who shot 41% from distance in 09 playing 3x the mins. Again, Cavs go from -0.5 SRS in 08 to +8.6 SRS in 09. Unless you're going to try to say that was all due to Lebron's individual improvement between 08 and 09, a claim that's highly dubious to say the least, then it seems the other option is 09 Cavs got much better because much better players played more mins.

08 Lebron: 3027 mins, 39.6/10.4/9.5/2.4/1.4 per 100
09 Lebron: 3054 mins, 40.8/10.9/10.4/2.4/1.6 per 100

Now let's look at 1.

Who was Lebron's back up in 09? Lebron was the lead ball handler and play maker. The guy off the bench who did the most ball handling and play making was Boobie Gibson.

Who was Lebron's back up in other years? Again, using the same logic that in order to "replace" Lebron, one needs to bring ball handling, play making, and scoring to the table, but most importantly the first two, here are the leading candidates for Lebron's back up by year: 07 Eric Snow, 08 Devin Brown, 09 Boobie Gibson, 10 Delonte West, 11 Mario Chalmers, 12 Norris Cole, 13 Norris Cole, 14 Norris Cole, 15 Matthew Dellavedova, 16 Matthew Dellavedova, 17 DeAndre Liggins and eventually Deron Williams, 18 Washed up Wade and Calderon for part of the year, 19 Washed Rondo and Lance, 20 Washed Rondo again, 21 THT, 22 THT and Monk, 23 Russ/Schroder/Reaves (one of the few years with multiple ball handlers on the team).

Now some of those guys were good players, just not PGs / everyday play makers. And no doubt you'd argue that guys like Wade and Kyrie were really the back up PGs on those Miami and Cavs teams. But most line ups don't work with only one ball handler - you need at least two. Guys like Lebron, Nash, Magic, CP, Harden, MJ, etc., are different in that they can run good/great offenses as the only guy out there. Wade was perhaps that guy (I'd disagree) in 11, 12, and part of 13. Kyrie was never that guy. Bottom line: Lebron's on/off stats have been inflated throughout his career because his teams rarely invested in his back up. This makes sense because he has the ball so much and plays 40 mins in all the big games, but it shouldn't be used to try to back up ridiculous claims like he had a 45 win lift in 09 despite the mountain of contextual evidence that he was playing lots of mins with quality teammates even though they only had one other quality ball handler (Mo) on the roster.

WTF

You start this in this thread telling us how weak the 1998 Bulls were offensively and claim that Kukoc couldn't compare to MO Williams because MO "carried his own linueps" but now Lebrons on-off numbers are inflated because he doesn't have a quality backup? How could Mo Williams simultaneously carry lineups by himself while also never playing without Lebron??? How is it possible that when LeBron goes to the bench it's Boobie whose the primary ball handler and not Williams?

Who in God's name were MJ's backup on the Bulls? And do you even know how NBA rotations work? So apparently instead of Wade & Kyrie handling the ball; when LeBron sits its Norris Cole and Delly running the show??

Wow
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#123 » by TheLand13 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:01 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Some days I really hate LeBron fans.

I would be wishing for LeBron to retire if I did not think the idea of LeBron playing with Bronny was interesting.
I have nothing against LeBron but I am sick of LeBron fans.

And LeBron fans are sick of people like you, because if there's one thing that annoys us more than anything, it's people spouting nonsense because they don't know what they're talking about.

Case and point: you in this thread.

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Reality free thinking bugs me. It would be nice if reality free thinking only happened in sports but itt also happens in more important subjects.

You must really hate yourself then, because that's all you really do on this forum. But more importantly, that's what you're doing in this thread.

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Pretending that LeBron did not have decent support in 2009 is LeBron fans choosing to be as delusional as Orange man good and Orange man bad people.

Well for starters, no it isn't. But second and more importantly, that's not what the thread is about. It is about whether or not LeBron had a worse supporting cast in 09 than MJ did in 98. Everyone is going to have their own thoughts and feelings about whether or not LeBron's supporting cast qualifies as decent, but I'll say this now: if your second best player is incapable of putting on an average performance in the postseason, then you have a definition of decent that is way off base.

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I feel sorry for you that Jordan fans just won’t accept weak arguments for LeBron being better than Jordan. I predate Jordan and never was a Jordan Stan. 20 years from now fans will be insisting that some new player is better than LeBron and they will be delusional and worshipping the new guy and you won’t like it.

I feel sorry for you that you are that clueless. The NBA is 75 years old and the guy we're talking about is, going off general consensus, the second greatest player in the history of this sport. So I love this idea that you think that a talent like LeBron can just appear out of the blue 20 years from now and not only live up to the hype he had, but have the career he had. You want to complain about people not thinking based on reality and then you hit us with this ****? Really?

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t want to hear LeBron fans minimizing Mo Williams and the rest of LeBron’s teammates.

There's nothing to minimize. Most people acknowledge that Mo Williams had his strengths, but the issue here is that they went away the moment the playoffs happened. And he had a lot of weaknesses that hindered his ability to truly be the true number 2 to LeBron. The guy was a complete non factor in the post season when he was needed more. When was the last time you could say that about Scottie Pippen? In his first season?

And to top it all off, you left us with this nonsense.

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:The weakest supporting cast of Jordan’s championship years. 2009 is the strongest supporting cast of LeBron’s first go round in Cleveland.

This right here pretty much says it all to me. The fact that you think the 2009 supporting cast was LeBron's best during his first stint in Cleveland tells me you have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly did not watch basketball at the time. You hate reality based thinking and you drop this. Jesus.

Pretty much every Cleveland fan as well as any person who was following at the time will tell you that the 2010 supporting cast LeBron had was much better than the 2009 one, and if it weren't for a few circumstances (which I'll go over in a sec), Cleveland more than likely wins the championship that season.

You've spent so much time trying to prop up the 2009 supporting cast LeBron had. In reality, it was a deeply flawed supporting cast and no superstar caliber player in history would have been able to get as much out of them as LeBron did. Williams and West (although he was at least pretty good defensively) were a small backcourt who got lit up in key matchups (Orlando and LA), Varejao had to rely almost entirely on LeBron to get any kind of offense and was more of a hustle rebounder at that point, and big Z was a walking corpse who could at least hit a corner three but that was it. The bench was non existent. And they severely lacked any talent capable of making a legitimate impact on the game outside of LeBron. In no way is that a good supporting cast.

2010 is a different story. THIS is what you can call a decent supporting cast. Hell I'd even settle for you claiming it was a good one. A lot of the issues that were present in the 2009 supporting cast weren't there with the 2010 one. And before I go any further, I'm just going to get this part out of your head now: Shaq is not who I am talking about in regards to upgrades within the supporting cast, he's a small piece of the overall puzzle, even though he does deserve mention.

Since I mentioned him, I'll at least start by mentioning what advantages Shaq brought. As I mentioned to the other poster, Shaq at least brought matchup advantages against certain teams. The fact that he was still so big and strong made him very difficult to guard for opposing teams, and it did actually lead to some problems for them, one of which was foul trouble. The other, however, was just the fact that sometimes, there was nothing teams could do to stop Shaq from doing whatever he wanted. He wasn't 2001 Shaq, but on a team with LeBron, he didn't need to be. Just to be able to give a glimpse of that was an issue. And yes, him being there meant Cleveland no longer had to double team Dwight Howard as frequently. Odds are, Cleveland wins their seven game series against them if it would have happened. Then there's the advantages he presented against LA, but I'll go over that in a moment.

EDIT: I just realized I never followed up on what I said regarding the advantages Shaq presented against LA, so I guess I'll do it here. The thing is, it wasn't just LA. There were multiple teams in the league that season which Cleveland suddenly fared much better against just from having Shaq, but the Lakers were just the best example. The thing with Z was that he wasn't sustainable as a starting center at this point in his career. He was barely mobile and lacked the strength to bang downlow with the stronger and more agile centers of the league. As I mentioned earlier, that was something Dwight Howard exploited with little effort in the 2009 playoff series and was one of the reasons they managed to upset the Cavaliers. You couldn't do that against Shaq. Yes, Shaq gassed out pretty easily and you couldn't afford to play him more than 25 MPG on a consistent basis. And he was also immobile. But he was still 350 pounds with god knows how much of it being muscle. If you were going to outperform him, you had to really work for it just due to his size. Despite his age, he could ragdoll more than half the centers in the league. So going back to LA for a second, a lot of people tend to downplay Kobe's supporting cast in those two championship rings because the numbers just don't look all that impressive. But in reality, having the two seven footers in that lineup was a cheat code. Pau Gasol was an incredibly skilled big man who played great basketball at both ends of the floor, with a mid range jumper that allowed him to find his offense away from the basket and not clutter up the paint. And while Andrew Bynum wasn't at his all star level form yet, he was still a pretty damn good starting center. He was a physically gifted player with the strength to hang with just about anyone, was a great rim protector and a very good rebounder. Having these two in your starting five was a nightmare for opposing teams to deal with.

I said just about anyone in regards to Bynum... but just about anyone means that there are exceptions. Shaq was that exception. Shaq was the one person Bynum couldn't have his way with and he was the only player capable of being able to gain positioning just about anywhere he wanted. Even though Bynum was obviously the better player, Shaq didn't need to be better. He needed to neutralize him and take away the advantages that allowed him to help LA be as good as they were. And then there's Pau Gasol. As I mentioned before, he was incredibly skilled with a high basketball IQ and very crafty at both ends of the floor. So how do you counteract that? By throwing bodies at him who are capable of playing high tempo basketball on both ends and have the physical ability and traits to tire him out. Well then, it just so happens that Cleveland had JJ Hickson and Anderson Varejao playing the PF positions simultaneously. Yes, in the two meetings the teams had that season, this was a problem for the Lakers too. Gasol actually struggled to keep up with Hickson at times and Hickson was able to use his physical advantages to gain leverage against Gasol and even got baskets because of it. And Varejao just played balls to the wall all night long, so Gasol was always going to have his hands full. And Lamar Odom, LA's ultimate sixth man, was also given fits by the fact that Varejao, who I once again must point out made second team all defense that season, was the one mostly checking him. And Lamar, who was a capable playmaker and could run the offense from the top of the key, wasn't agile enough to shake Varejao off of him, who had no issues being able to defend him anywhere on the floor.

So to summarize... LA went from having two seven footers who could dominate regularly to now not being able to do so against this particular team. That's not to say they didn't play well, but their effectiveness was severely reduced. All of a sudden, Cleveland went from having a huge matchup problem against LA in 2009 to having a huge matchup advantage in 2010. I seriously doubt Cleveland comes out on top in a seven game series in 2009 if they faced LA in the finals, but in 2010? I'm so confident that Cleveland would have won that I would have bet money on it, even now. And this is despite LA improving in 2010 too. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know, I don't know what will, but the rest of the post continues.

Some of the players who were with the team from 09 improved significantly in 2010. Even though Williams wasn't a repeat all star, he was much better at picking his spots and controlling the flow of the offense when LeBron was sitting. And he actually had some notable performances in the playoffs that season, which was a vast improvement over the previous season where he was a complete non factor. Hell, he outright won Cleveland their first game against Boston and was a reason they were within striking distance in game 6. JJ Hickson became a regular rotation player who actually caused a lot of huge matchup problems for opposing teams due to his athleticism. LeBron being able to have someone who could run up and down the floor with him like that did wonders for him, as well as Cleveland's offense. And it was good to have someone who could handle the physicality of the game. But the most improved player without question was Anderson Varejao, who on top of making actual improvements offensively, made huge strides defensively and actually became one of the best defenders at his position (and he even ended up making the all defensive team that season). He was the ultimate sixth man.

But there were additional changes made to the team that also boosted this supporting cast. Anthony Parker was brought over to the team and he proved to be a reliable 3/D SG who provided additional length to the starting unit after they had a small backcourt last year (EDIT: I just realized I didn't even mention the biggest benefit of getting Parker on the team: allowing West to go to the bench, which greatly improved Cleveland's depth and overall structure. Now Cleveland actually had a legitimately good PG caliber player who could come off the bench, help run the offense with Mo whenever LeBron sat and who could actually play defense). And of course, there was Antawn Jamison who was brought over in a trade involving Z who was bought out and then came back over to Cleveland immediately after (so basically he was traded for nothing).

The 2010 Cavaliers also fared much better against the top teams in the league than the 2009 team did. One thing people don't realize about the 2009 Cavs is that they, while remarkably consistent, weren't very good against the playoffs contenders. In fact, they were below .500 against the top six teams in the league. Keep in mind that they only lost 16 games that season.

But the 2010 Cavaliers were a different story. They were able to split the season series with Dallas, Orlando and Boston (something they couldn't do the previous season where they lost each series) (EDIT: something I didn't even remember, but LeBron actually didn't play in the final game against Orlando that season, and neither did Shaq, and yet they still only lost by six despite Orlando playing their full team. Obviously Orlando took it easy on them, so it means nothing. But it's worth noting that compared to last season where Orlando was 2-1 against Cleveland, if we choose not to count this game, then Cleveland ended up being 2-1 against Orlando. I know we like to pretend that regular season doesn't matter, but in reality it absolutely does. It gives us an idea of how well the teams matchup against each other and typically, more often than not at least, the teams that show clear superiority in their respective matchups in the regular season are the ones that usually come out on top), and won both of their meetings against LA (something they also couldn't do the previous season where they lost both) AND PHX. They were the heavy favorites to win that season and it wasn't just due to how great LeBron was at that point. Many people acknowledged that the Cavaliers team was very deep and loaded with firepower. They had so many options for who they could go with at both the backcourt and frontcourt departments. If they wanted size, they had it. If they wanted more athletic and hustle, they had it. If they wanted spot up shooters, they had it. If they wanted people who could actually create their own offense and run it, they had it. They had everything.

So the questions becomes: how the hell did Cleveland lose in the second round that season? Since I already know you don't know the answer to that question (because I know you didn't watch at the time), I'll answer it.

It came down to three factors.

1. Boston got hot AND healthy at the right time and was severely underestimated. Many people wrote off Boston that season due to how poorly they played in the regular season that year. They only managed to win 50 games. But in reality, they were actually a loaded team filled with a very deep rotation. They had injury and consistency issues all season. But right around the end of the season, they were finding their groove and it never went away. But it didn't go on long enough before the playoffs started for anyone to notice. Had they played the way they did throughout the entire season, no one in their right mind would have picked Cleveland to beat them.

2. Mike Brown made a lot of questionable coaching decisions that series which ultimately led to his dismissal as a coach. I'm not going to go through all of them. But I will say that the biggest mistake he made was keeping Antawn Jamison in the starting lineup after it became very clear in the first two games that he was getting dominated by Garnett and nothing was going to change that (although Jamison did manage to have his only good game of the series in game 3 when he put up 20/12). In the regular season, Boston had a very difficult time playing against Cleveland when they went with a more athletic and physical brand of basketball due to their advanced age. If Mike Brown had any idea what he was doing, he would have either started Hickson at PF instead of Jamison, or at least would have played him a LOT more than he did. Instead, he barely played him at all. Hell, he didn't even play at all in game 6, which was a game Cleveland had a legitimate chance of winning.

3. LeBron himself. People don't actually criticize LeBron enough for this series, and I've found that very strange because you'd think they would jump on the opportunity to do so. But yes, LeBron deserves criticism for how he played in this series and in fact, people don't realize it because they blindly go off box score numbers. In the 2009 playoffs, LeBron was a fearless animal who gave no **** and dominated anyone and everyone in his path. That wasn't the case at all in 2010 against Boston. LeBron himself went on record to state that he never truly believed that Cleveland had any chance of beating the Celtics, and while I personally think that's false, the way he played definitely showed that he thought this way. The insane amount of effort and hustle he was giving in the Orlando series wasn't there in this one, and his body language told the whole story. People only notice the game 5 performance because that was, without question, one of his worst playoff performances of all time. But really, the way he played in that game wasn't any different from the way he played the rest of the series, apart from ONE GAME. One. And that was game 3, where he actually played like his life was on the line and was out there with a clear purpose. I theorize that the reason he was so motivated was because his jump shot was actually falling in this game, which gave him added inspiration. It definitely helped that the Celtics were relaxed and the rest of the Cavaliers were hot for vengeance, but either way, this was the one game in the entire series where Cleveland looked like they were the better team. If LeBron gave the same kind of effort in this series that he gave in 2009, Cleveland would have went to the finals and I think they would have beaten LA to win their first championship.

So there you have it. The 2010 supporting cast was pretty easily better from top to bottom. They didn't lose any key assets that made them so good in 2009, they improved upon them. They made actual upgrades to their roster while some of their role players actually got better. As I said before, had it not been for certain circumstances, that supporting cast would have been more than enough to land LeBron a championship that season because all the signs pointed to that happening. It just ended up not working out that way.

Now please, stop posting in this thread.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,745

Post#124 » by VanWest82 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:14 pm

tone wone wrote:You start this in this thread telling us how weak the 1998 Bulls were offensively

Never said this.

and claim that Kukoc couldn't compare to MO Williams because MO "carried his own linueps"

Didn't say this either. I responded to another poster who claimed Kukoc was "significantly better" than Mo. And Mo did carry his own line ups, albeit unsuccessfully. 09 Cavs played 617 mins with either Mo, no Lebron, no Boobie, or Mo + Boobie, no Lebron. Interestingly, when it was just him they had a +6.5 NRTG.

but now Lebrons on-off numbers are inflated because he doesn't have a quality backup? How could Mo Williams simultaneously carry lineups by himself while also never playing without Lebron??? How is it possible that when LeBron goes to the bench it's Boobie whose the primary ball handler and not Williams?

Yet another quote response where you obviously didn't bother reading my post. Most line ups require two ball handlers to be successful. Very few guys in NBA history can successfully pull it off as the only quality ball handler / play maker. These guys include Lebron, Nash, Magic, etc. They do not include Mo Williams or Boobie Gibson. This is why it's imperitive to have a back up for Lebron who can actually play make because it isn't realistic to expect someone like Mo or Kyrie or whomever to float line ups by themselves.

Even Lebron isn't above having better success in line ups with more guys who can shoot, pass, and dribble.

Lebron only: +10.8
Lebron+Mo: +14.1
Lebron+Mo+Boobie: +19.7

Who in God's name were MJ's backup on the Bulls? And do you even know how NBA rotations work? So apparently instead of Wade & Kyrie handling the ball; when LeBron sits its Norris Cole and Delly running the show??

Wow

Again, the point is guys like Delly and Cole weren't good enough to provide Wade and Kyrie the additional ball handling and play making support to make those line ups work when Lebron sat. Some will try (stupidly) to argue those guys are on Lebron/Nash/Magic's level as players who can carry line ups. I disagree, but that doesn't mean Wade and Kyrie wouldn't have fared much better without Lebron if those teams had more ball handlers on the roster.

To answer your question, early Bulls didn't have the kind of back ups to maintain competence of non-MJ line ups which is one of the reasons why we see gaudy on/offs in limited samples from the late 80s. But later in his career, Bulls had not only Scottie but Harper, Kukoc, Kerr, and even Dennis who was a decent passer. Plus Bulls ran triangle. It's one the reasons why MJ's assists went down over his second three-peat. And again, Lebron is currently enjoying this on Lakers where he can be out but they still have Russell, Schroder, Reaves, Russ (before the trade). Is Lebron, suddenly much, much worse offensively this year because Lakers don't completely suck when he doesn't play? No.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#125 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 pm

The problem with undersized guards that don't get into the paint well is that they absolutely must shoot the ball well to be effective. If they happen to have a poor shooting game or series their value plummets. Mo is a guy who could handle the ball and sort of run an offense but if he isn't shooting it then he's not really making up for it anywhere else and in the playoffs its always harder for small dudes to do things on bigger more athletic dudes when effort goes up a lot on defense. This was also the case with West who actually played more minutes vs Orl than LeBron did but who was out of the league just a few years later. West+Mo together averaged less than 7fta per game despite both playing over 40mpg in that series. That's the issue with that team in a nutshell imo along with Brown's terrible adjustments. They were not the makings of a championship caliber backcourt.
What we needed was for Larry Hughes to not have a bad back injury which turned him from near all star into just average starter. After that most of what LeBron was playing with were just jags(other than Verajao) who benefited from playing with a goat level player. Anyone who can't see or understand that is just trying too hard to diminish what those teams accomplished in spite of average level talent at best.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#126 » by VanWest82 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 pm

AEnigma wrote:You can talk about “talent” all you want, but one player’s teams rarely could function without him, and the other’s could.

Again, back ups and the triangle. One guys teams had those things and one guys teams didn't. Contrary to what you and so many on this forum think, OFF samples are not the be-all-end-all of player debates.

Most people would reconsider their process of assessing talent when faced with that apparent contradiction, but instead now we get these half-baked explanations that obviously Mo Williams (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Dwyane Wade (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Kyrie Irving (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron and even spent more time with the ball than Lebron) are simultaneously excellent star talent comfortably clearing Scottie Pippen but also not people anyone could reasonably expect to lead offences without extra passers (for example, perhaps someone like Mario Chalmers…) next to them. :blank:

If Scottie had to play sans MJ as the only creator for those Bulls teams, they would've gotten detroyed. Look at the per 100 assist numbers in 94: Scottie (7.6), BJ (7.1), Kukoc (7.3), Myers (6.3), Kerr (5.4), Grant (4.8), Longley (6.4).

How many quality play makers did Wade get to play with when Lebron was on the bench? How many did Kyrie or Mo? The answer is basically none unless you're going to start counting the guys I listed like Cole, Delly, Boobie, etc.

Cavs built their supporting cast differently with specialized guys. West was an excellent defender at POA. Andy was a great PnR defender. Wallace was a great individual post defender. Mo was perfect as a secondary creator/shooter who could play on or off ball. Boobie could come in as a tertiary ball handler / shooter. Wally was a knock down shooter. These were all guys picked specifically to play with Lebron. As far as I can tell, there was zero contemplation about how they'd run their team with Lebron off the floor. Boobie was his back up on offense and Wally/Pavlovic was his back up on defense, and we're wondering why his net on/offs look so good.
rk2023
Starter
And1: 2,030

Post#127 » by rk2023 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:20 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:The problem with undersized guards that don't get into the paint well is that they absolutely must shoot the ball well to be effective. If they happen to have a poor shooting game or series their value plummets. Mo is a guy who could handle the ball and sort of run an offense but if he isn't shooting it then he's not really making up for it anywhere else and in the playoffs its always harder for small dudes to do things on bigger more athletic dudes when effort goes up a lot on defense. This was also the case with West who actually played more minutes vs Orl than LeBron did but who was out of the league just a few years later. West+Mo together averaged less than 7fta per game despite both playing over 40mpg in that series. That's the issue with that team in a nutshell imo along with Brown's terrible adjustments. They are not the makings of a championship caliber backcourt.
What we needed was for Larry Hughes to not have a bad back injury which turned him from near all star into just average starter. After that most of what LeBron was playing with were just jags(other than Verajao) who benefited from playing with a goat level player. Anyone who can't see or understand that is just trying too hard to diminish what those teams accomplished in spite of average level talent at best.

Re-iterating this. I don't think 09/10 Cavs represented LeBron carrying "scrubs" by any means - but there was a notable effect James had as a floor raiser through relentless paint pressure, solid facilitation with/for the collective four other parts around him, and providing GOAT-lite wing/forward defense. Lineup PBP and net-rating data reinforces the eye-test and general gauge of Cavs lineups. The other players were pieces that fit well playing next to James, but by no means was it a sure-fire championship cast intuitively looking into the subject. I feel too many people on this board over time (eg. Colts18, HomeCourtLoss, Sideshowbob, others) have done research on the subject pretty much showing the "truth in the middle" regarding the 2009/10 Cavs and James' overall impact of wins provided.

As one who has 2009 James as the top season ever played in NBA History, I still don't think we (LAL) would have lost to the Cavs in the finals - whom ultimately bowed out to do shooting variance in ORL favor, not being able to hold Dwight, and the over-reliance on James who was surreal (he led the team in efficiency with a statline of 39-8-8...). And this is more a testament towards team/cast than it is to James himself.
Bad Gatorade wrote:I use a lot of parentheses when I post (it's a bad habit)
rim213221
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#128 » by rim213221 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:39 pm

AEnigma wrote:That must be why Scottie Pippen led a better team than any ever led by Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love Chris Bosh, or Dwyane Wade without Shaq. In fact, Pippen led a better team than any of Jordan’s predating Pippen joining him as a starter…

And look, I will be clear, Lebron did have one year of both Davis and Wade where they were probably more valuable than the typical Pippen year next to Jordan, and 1987/88 Jordan was a better player than peak Pippen. But players are more than their raw point per game totals (always sad how often I need to reiterate that), and teams are made up of more than the biggest names (sad how often I need to reiterate that too).

You can talk about “talent” all you want, but one player’s teams rarely could function without him, and the other’s could. Most people would reconsider their process of assessing talent when faced with that apparent contradiction, but instead now we get these half-baked explanations that obviously Mo Williams (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Dwyane Wade (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Kyrie Irving (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron and even spent more time with the ball than Lebron) are simultaneously excellent star talent comfortably clearing Scottie Pippen but also not people anyone could reasonably expect to lead offences without extra passers (for example, perhaps someone like Mario Chalmers…) next to them. :blank:

That doesn’t really matter as it’s a sample size of 1 season with a team that had a championship culture in place from the prior 3 seasons which was largely due to Jordan. It’s doubtful Pippen would’ve consistently led that Bulls team anywhere outside of the 94 season and there’s evidence of that in the 95 season when the Bulls were a sub .500 team. Moreover, there’s no way without Jordan from 91-93 that Pippen leads that Bulls team to 55 wins in 94.

LeBron joined a team who already had an established top 3 superstar who won a title himself for that organization, not even comparable to Jordan’s supporting cast. Not to mention he vastly outplayed LeBron himself in the Finals.

Jordan has never played with a big man remotely capable of averaging 20/10. LeBron’s played with three separate ones and all players who’ve averaged 24/10, 25/14, 28/12 etc.
tone wone
Pro Prospect
And1: 579

Post#129 » by tone wone » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:27 am

VanWest82 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:You can talk about “talent” all you want, but one player’s teams rarely could function without him, and the other’s could.

Again, back ups and the triangle. One guys teams had those things and one guys teams didn't. Contrary to what you and so many on this forum think, OFF samples are not the be-all-end-all of player debates.

Most people would reconsider their process of assessing talent when faced with that apparent contradiction, but instead now we get these half-baked explanations that obviously Mo Williams (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Dwyane Wade (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron) and Kyrie Irving (who was a lead creator for several teams outside of Lebron and even spent more time with the ball than Lebron) are simultaneously excellent star talent comfortably clearing Scottie Pippen but also not people anyone could reasonably expect to lead offences without extra passers (for example, perhaps someone like Mario Chalmers…) next to them. :blank:

If Scottie had to play sans MJ as the only creator for those Bulls teams, they would've gotten detroyed. Look at the per 100 assist numbers in 94: Scottie (7.6), BJ (7.1), Kukoc (7.3), Myers (6.3), Kerr (5.4), Grant (4.8), Longley (6.4).

How many quality play makers did Wade get to play with when Lebron was on the bench? How many did Kyrie or Mo? The answer is basically none unless you're going to start counting the guys I listed like Cole, Delly, Boobie, etc.

Cavs built their supporting cast differently with specialized guys. West was an excellent defender at POA. Andy was a great PnR defender. Wallace was a great individual post defender. Mo was perfect as a secondary creator/shooter who could play on or off ball. Boobie could come in as a tertiary ball handler / shooter. Wally was a knock down shooter. These were all guys picked specifically to play with Lebron. As far as I can tell, there was zero contemplation about how they'd run their team with Lebron off the floor. Boobie was his back up on offense and Wally/Pavlovic was his back up on defense, and we're wondering why his net on/offs look so good.

How in God's name is Boobie Lebrons backup??? Delonte West was their 3rd ball-handler.

We're supposed to believe that all these players were wonderful fits who filled their roles to near perfection but its matters not at all what they do without James? That James lift is actually inflated because they didn't have another elite playmaking wing to carry the offense when he's on the bench? Because if they had this mythical elite playmaker behind James we'd what? see how overrated Lebron is???

You don't think this says anything about the actual quality of that team? No, just a high-level supporting cast that we shouldn't expect anything from without James but don't you dare say he's carrying them.

The 2009 Cavs were legitimately, barely the 3rd most talented team in the East that season. IMO it's close between them and Atlanta.
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I don’t think LeBron was as good a point guard as Mo Williams for the point guard play not counting the scoring threat. In other words in a non shooting Rondo like role Mo Williams would be better than LeBron.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#130 » by VanWest82 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:41 am

tone wone wrote:How in God's name is Boobie Lebrons backup??? Delonte West was their 3rd ball-handler.

West was in 2010 when he came off the bench. But regardless of who you think was his back up, 09 Cavs were short on guys beyond Lebron and Mo who defenses had to respect as creators. That wasn't really Delonte's game and it wasn't Boobie's.

Edit: Mo and Delonte only played 77 mins together without Lebron whereas Mo and Boobie played 517 mins together minus Lebron. Boobie was the back up.

We're supposed to believe that all these players were wonderful fits who filled their roles to near perfection but its matters not at all what they do without James? That James lift is actually inflated because they didn't have another elite playmaking wing to carry the offense when he's on the bench? Because if they had this mytical elite playmaker behind James we'd what? see how overrated Lebron is???

You don't think this says anything about the actual quality of that team?

It says something about a lack of quality back up creaton for Lebron, yes. It doesn't say anything about their impact alongside Lebron though. West was still a terrific POA defender. Verajao was still great in PnR. Wallace was still a beast defensively until he got hurt. Wally was still a knock down shooter. Mo still made the **** all star team, and then almost made it the next season.

For clarity, I'm not saying Lebron is overrated. I have him #2 all time. I'm saying that these assertions that 09 Cavs supporting cast was barely average or not good and Lebron was responsible for a 40+ win lift is ridiculous and completely illogical.

And I'm still waiting - not necessarily from you - for a coherent response as to why when these guys were brought in or had their roles significantly elevated that Cavs went from -0.5 to +8.6 SRS. We're just supposed to believe it's all Lebron. That's insane.
Taj FTW
Starter
And1: 2,850

Post#131 » by Taj FTW » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:58 am

VanWest82 wrote:
tone wone wrote:How in God's name is Boobie Lebrons backup??? Delonte West was their 3rd ball-handler.

West was in 2010 when he came off the bench. But regardless of who you think was his back up, 09 Cavs were short on guys beyond Lebron and Mo who defenses had to respect as creators. That wasn't really Delonte's game and it wasn't Boobie's.

Edit: Mo and Delonte only played 77 mins together without Lebron whereas Mo and Boobie played 517 mins together minus Lebron. Boobie was the back up.

We're supposed to believe that all these players were wonderful fits who filled their roles to near perfection but its matters not at all what they do without James? That James lift is actually inflated because they didn't have another elite playmaking wing to carry the offense when he's on the bench? Because if they had this mytical elite playmaker behind James we'd what? see how overrated Lebron is???

It says something about a lack of quality back up creaton for Lebron, yes. It doesn't say anything about their impact alongside Lebron though. West was still a terrific POA defender. Verajao was still great in PnR. Wallace was still a beast defensively until he got hurt. Wally was still a knock down shooter. Mo still made the **** all star team, and then almost made it the next season.

For clarity, I'm not saying Lebron is overrated. I have him #2 all time. I'm saying that these assertions that 09 Cavs supporting cast was barely average or not good and Lebron was responsible for a 40+ win lift is ridiculous and completely illogical.

And I'm still waiting - not necessarily from you - for a coherent response as to why when these guys were brought in or had their roles significantly elevated that Cavs went from -0.5 to +8.6 SRS. We're just supposed to believe it's all Lebron. That's insane.

We have literally the best proof of this - their record after he left
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#132 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:00 am

DCasey91 wrote:Short answer no, comparatively speaking. Yes it was probably the “weakest” cast in the Bulls era but was still very capable.
Wasn’t it so the Bulls support cast was in the upper percentile during the whole time?
Harper/Rodman/Kukoc/Pippen is a very solid quartet and I would comfortably take it over the 2009 Cavs squad.

Different discussion but Lebron’s first stint was all kinds of bad in team construction.

Separate 2009 Cavs from the earlier years. LeBron did not change that much from 2008 so the extra wins came from LeBron’s supporting cast improving. When LeBron sits Mo Williams is needed.

When Jordan sits Pippen is needed.

2009 Cavs supporting cast was better on offense than 1998 Bulls supporting cast. 1998 Bulls supporting cast was better on defense.

Wally was good on offense but not good on defense. Rodman was good on defense but not good on offense. Longly was a big body that you want and OK on defense but bad on offense. Big Z was better on offense than Longly.

Kukoc was good on offense but bad on defense. Kukoc and Pippen and Kerr and Buechler were the only supporting cast members that were not worse than average NBA players on offense and Kerr and Buecheler were not players that could create their own shots.

Unsung Bulls Randy Brown and Burrell were very good on defense but very bad on offense. Harper was below average on offense but may not have appeared bad to some people because he was getting easy opportunities from Jordan and Pippen being overplayed.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,296

Post#133 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:02 am

VanWest82 wrote:

It's because the 08 Cavs had crap tons of injuries and then did a bunch of trades for more guys and so there was very little consistency throughout the season. If fully healthy the Cavs would have won a lot more games in 08. Some of the guys who left in 08 also were having terrible seasons so were like definite negatives impact wise. So all of this together dragged that team down a lot. It was a cluster**** of a season. In 09 we had a bunch of new guys and it was more like a clean slate where the goal was to win a title and LeBron went from mvp caliber to mvp++.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#134 » by homecourtloss » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:13 am

VanWest82 wrote:
homecourtloss wrote:Do you know what these respective players’ net ratings were in 2009 WITHOUT James on court? I do, but was wondering if you did.

VanWest82 wrote:Now let's look at 1.

Who was Lebron's back up in 09? Lebron was the lead ball handler and play maker. The guy off the bench who did the most ball handling and play making was Boobie Gibson.

Who was Lebron's back up in other years? Again, using the same logic that in order to "replace" Lebron, one needs to bring ball handling, play making, and scoring to the table, but most importantly the first two, here are the leading candidates for Lebron's back up by year: 07 Eric Snow, 08 Devin Brown, 09 Boobie Gibson, 10 Delonte West, 11 Mario Chalmers, 12 Norris Cole, 13 Norris Cole, 14 Norris Cole, 15 Matthew Dellavedova, 16 Matthew Dellavedova, 17 DeAndre Liggins and eventually Deron Williams, 18 Washed up Wade and Calderon for part of the year, 19 Washed Rondo and Lance, 20 Washed Rondo again, 21 THT, 22 THT and Monk, 23 Russ/Schroder/Reaves (one of the few years with multiple ball handlers on the team).

Now some of those guys were good players, just not PGs / everyday play makers. And no doubt you'd argue that guys like Wade and Kyrie were really the back up PGs on those Miami and Cavs teams. But most line ups don't work with only one ball handler - you need at least two. Guys like Lebron, Nash, Magic, CP, Harden, MJ, etc., are different in that they can run good/great offenses as the only guy out there. Wade was perhaps that guy (I'd disagree) in 11, 12, and part of 13. Kyrie was never that guy. Bottom line: Lebron's on/off stats have been inflated throughout his career because his teams rarely invested in his back up. This makes sense because he has the ball so much and plays 40 mins in all the big games, but it shouldn't be used to try to back up ridiculous claims like he had a 45 win lift in 09 despite the mountain of contextual evidence that he was playing lots of mins with quality teammates even though they only had one other quality ball handler (Mo) on the roster.

You didn’t answer the question, and you’re discussing incomplete stats and don’t know where to/how to get the complete stats. Take a look at the bolded, for example. You need empirical proof to support this claim, but you don’t have the proof or have it and have not stated the proof or you don’t know how to get the proof.

There are empirical answers to the claims that you are making, but unfortunately for you, the empirical evidence goes against your arguments.

Again, how did Mo Williams and company do without LeBron?

'08 and '09 supporting cast mins and ON NRTG:

Devin Brown: 1762 mins '08 / 0.0 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09
Drew Gooden: 1564 mins '08 / -1.1 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09
Larry Hughes: 1210 mins '08 / -4.4 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09
Ira Newble: 650 mins '08 / -11.1 NRTG '08 / 0 mins '09 / n/a NRTG '09

Mo Williams: 0 mins '08 / n/a NRTG '08 / 2834 mins '09 / +11.3 NRTG
Andy Verajao: 1320 mins '08 / +4.3 NRTG '08 / 2306 mins '09 / +11.2 NRTG 09
Delonte West: 806 mins '08 / +2.8 NRTG '08 / 2152 mins '09 / +15.2 NRTG '09
Ben Wallace: 578 mins '08 / +0.2 NRTG '08 / 1314 mins '09 / +18.2 NRTG '09
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#135 » by AEnigma » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:58 am

rim213221 wrote:
AEnigma wrote:That must be why Scottie Pippen led a better team than any ever led by Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love Chris Bosh, or Dwyane Wade without Shaq. In fact, Pippen led a better team than any of Jordan’s predating Pippen joining him as a starter…

That doesn’t really matter as it’s a sample size of 1 season with a team that had a championship culture in place from the prior 3 seasons which was largely due to Jordan.

Uh huh. So what happened to the 2015 Heat.

It’s doubtful Pippen would’ve consistently led that Bulls team anywhere outside of the 94 season and there’s evidence of that in the 95 season when the Bulls were a sub .500 team.

Oh so we are just lying now?

Moreover, there’s no way without Jordan from 91-93 that Pippen leads that Bulls team to 55 wins in 94.

Without Jordan they would probably have some better draft picks. Already saw the benefits of that after 1986 and 1987.

LeBron joined a team who already had an established top 3 superstar who won a title himself for that organization, not even comparable to Jordan’s supporting cast.

So if the Bulls had won a title in 1980, you would value Jordan’s titles less?

Not to mention he vastly outplayed LeBron himself in the Finals.

And famously Lebron’s career ended there.

Jordan has never played with a big man remotely capable of averaging 20/10. LeBron’s played with three separate ones and all players who’ve averaged 24/10, 25/14, 28/12 etc.

No, he just played with perennial all-defensive forwards, the first of whom immediately elevated the Magic from a first round exit to a Finals appearance upon joining them, and the second of whom was a GOAT-level rebounder, two-time champion, and two-time DPoY. If only they scored more points though!
Doc MJ wrote:This is one of your trademark data-based arguments in which I sigh, go over to basketballreference, and then see all the ways you cherrypicked the data toward your prejudiced beliefs rather than actually using them to inform you
AEnigma
Veteran

Post#136 » by AEnigma » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:33 am

VanWest82 wrote:

That something about a lack of quality back up creaton for Lebron, yes. It doesn't say anything about their impact alongside Lebron though. West was still a terrific POA defender. Verajao was still great in PnR. Wallace was still a beast defensively until he got hurt. Wally was still a knock down shooter. Mo still made the **** all star team, and then almost made it the next season.

I do not care about the on/off here apart from how it applies to your stance that Lebron was not in fact providing unparalleled value to that team. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth here. You want to argue it was a very good team on par with the 1998 Bulls, and that the assertion that Lebron provided 40-win lift to that specifically constructed team “is ridiculous and completely illogical”… but also you want to say it could not possibly be expected to function without Lebron because it lacked the intelligent balance of those Phil Jackson coached Bulls teams, and actually that type of massive ineptitude without him should be expected. Do I have that right?
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,313

Post#137 » by DCasey91 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:32 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Short answer no, comparatively speaking. Yes it was probably the “weakest” cast in the Bulls era but was still very capable.
Wasn’t it so the Bulls support cast was in the upper percentile during the whole time?
Harper/Rodman/Kukoc/Pippen is a very solid quartet and I would comfortably take it over the 2009 Cavs squad.

Different discussion but Lebron’s first stint was all kinds of bad in team construction.

Separate 2009 Cavs from the earlier years. LeBron did not change that much from 2008 so the extra wins came from LeBron’s supporting cast improving. When LeBron sits Mo Williams is needed.

2009 Cavs supporting cast was better on offense than 1998 Bulls supporting cast. 1998 Bulls supporting cast was better on defense.

Wally was good on offense but not good on defense. Rodman was good on defense but not good on offense. Longly was a big body that you want and OK on defense but bad on offense. Big Z was better on offense than Longly.

Kukoc was good on offense but bad on defense. Kukoc and Pippen and Kerr and Buechler were the only supporting cast members that were not worse than average NBA players on offense and Kerr and Buecheler were not players that could create their own shots.

Unsung Bulls Randy Brown and Burrell were very good on defense but very bad on offense. Harper was below average on offense but may not have appeared bad to some people because he was getting easy opportunities from Jordan and Pippen being overplayed.

Yes but the Bulls weren’t just good on defence they were very very good, albeit every year of the Bulls reign they were very good. And in the playoffs the offensive results took a noticeable on the Cavs support cast. Continuity + time together >>>

It’s like saying I’d rather be elite on one side then good on both.

Little caveat but the 2019 raptors was like a blueprint to pretty much of all the Bulls teams construction.

I really don’t believe James got acceptable help during his first 7 seasons. They pretty much were dead in the water whenever he sat on the bench. I really don’t think any iteration of the early Cavs could win 50 without James in a season let alone 40.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#138 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:20 am

Taj FTW wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

We have literally the best proof of this - their record after he left

Everybody was injured after LeBron left. In addition to everybody being injured after LeBron left, Delonte, Big Z, Shaq/Ben Wallace were not on the team after LeBron left. Mediocre power forward JJ Hickson started 66 games at center after LeBron left.

Keep that team healthy and give them back Big Z Shaq and Delonte and probably win 40 games without LeBron instead of 19 games without LeBron. Still 20 games less than with LeBron but not 40 games less than with LeBron. Verajao, And Mo Williams missed more than half the season. Moon missed half the season. Jamison missed 1/3 of the season. Parker missed 10 games.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#139 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:52 am

DCasey91 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:

Yes but the Bulls weren’t just good on defence they were very very good, albeit every year of the Bulls reign they were very good. And in the playoffs the offensive results took a noticeable on the Cavs support cast. Continuity + time together >>>

It’s like saying I’d rather be elite on one side then good on both.

Little caveat but the 2019 raptors was like a blueprint to pretty much of all the Bulls teams construction.

I really don’t believe James got acceptable help during his first 7 seasons. They pretty much were dead in the water whenever he sat on the bench. I really don’t think any iteration of the early Cavs could win 50 without James in a season let alone 40.

LeBron had good help in 2009 and 2010 which is why he won 60 + games in those years instead of 40 something games in 2008.
Give LeBron a little more help and he wins the championship.
Give any 60 win team a little more help and they win the championship.
rim213221
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#140 » by rim213221 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am

AEnigma wrote:
rim213221 wrote:

That doesn’t really matter as it’s a sample size of 1 season with a team that had a championship culture in place from the prior 3 seasons which was largely due to Jordan.

Uh huh. So what happened to the 2015 Heat.

It’s doubtful Pippen would’ve consistently led that Bulls team anywhere outside of the 94 season and there’s evidence of that in the 95 season when the Bulls were a sub .500 team.

Oh so we are just lying now?

Moreover, there’s no way without Jordan from 91-93 that Pippen leads that Bulls team to 55 wins in 94.

Without Jordan they would probably have some better draft picks. Already saw the benefits of that after 1986 and 1987.

LeBron joined a team who already had an established top 3 superstar who won a title himself for that organization, not even comparable to Jordan’s supporting cast.

So if the Bulls had won a title in 1980, you would value Jordan’s titles less?

Not to mention he vastly outplayed LeBron himself in the Finals.

And famously Lebron’s career ended there.

No, he just played with perennial all-defensive forwards, the first of whom immediately elevated the Magic from a first round exit to a Finals appearance upon joining them, and the second of whom was a GOAT-level rebounder, two-time champion, and two-time DPoY. If only they scored more points though!

2015 Heat were not coming off a title and were old and washed up. They were coming off a LeBron led season where they got the doors blown off them in humiliating fashion by a team that did not even have a single superstar, something that never happened to Jordan.

His career may not have ended in 2011, but it’s a major stain on your legacy when you have the most stacked team in the league by far with 2 players who were top 3 and top 10 the preceding season, going in as heavy favorite, and you choked the Finals away. Especially when you’re being compared to the true GOAT who never melted down in the Finals like this despite playing with inferior talent and never someone of D-Wade’s caliber (not to mention never came even close to being outplayed by his own teammate, let alone an opposing player).

Are you seriously bringing up Horace Grant to support the argument about who played with more stacked teams??? :lol: Yea, he sure “elevated” the Magic, not the iconic superstar duo of Shaq/Penny.

Return to Player Comparisons