Post#21 » by Oden Rules » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:07 am

raptors = lottery at best
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#22 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:13 am

ajmal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Have u seen Calderon's defense? Its like a pylon sliding on ice...

Ever seen Brevin Knight guard anyone?

No you haven't. No one has.
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#23 » by WesWesley » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:31 am

Jose is better, that goes without saying...

However, I do think he is being overrated slightly on these boards. He puts up solid, efficient numbers, but right now he is not leading his team to victories. The Raptors are underachieving and are nothing more than a .500 team in the east.

He's got a talented players on his team too, so it's not like that is an excuse for their record.

I expect the Raptors to pick it up, but right now it's not fair to call them a good team, because they're not.
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by T.Duncan21 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:01 pm

As a raptors fan, I would say Calderon is better but at the same time... I feel like he's overrated. His defense is a joke and prolly the worst I've seen from a PG. He can't play defense when his man has the ball since he gets blown by rather easily and when his man doesn't have the ball... he just floats in no mans land, which gives up an easy open shot from the perimeter. It's not even like he's good at reading the passing lanes, which Brevin was good at. On offense, Jose does not possess the ability to break his man down 1 on 1, which should be a huge negative especially for a PG. He's amazing on the pick and roll though. He doesn't possess the ability to take over, which is needed at times when the raptors go on scoring droughts. Personally I would place him on the level of Andre Miller/Tinsley... although I think both are better than Jose. He's around the 14-16 rank amongst PG's but gets talked and treated like he's near top 5.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#25 » by Schad » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:20 pm

ajmal wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

i did state that aside from the percentages they have identical statistics..

someone explain how it is harder to average more assists on a team with better offensive options compared to a team with weak offensive options?

Toronto doesn't actually have an abundance of offensive weapons, though, especially in the starting lineup. Bosh, yes. Calderon, yes. Parker is pretty average offensively, and someone who requires a good point guard to get him open shots. Bargnani can be an offensive demon one night and a complete nightmare the next. Moon scores primarily off of dunks created by Calderon.

...and Hollinger considers Calderon to be the third-best guard (not point guard, guard) in the Eastern Conference at the moment, and an All-Star:

John Hollinger wrote:Backup guard No. 1: Jose Calderon, Raptors
This is probably going to shock some people, so I'll just go ahead and say it: Calderon, right now, is the third-best guard in the East.

Go ahead and laugh. Get it out of your system.

Done? Good. Now let's look at the numbers. Calderon ranks fourth among Eastern Conference guards in PER; he's a millimeter behind T.J. Ford, who is out indefinitely, and of course trails Wade and Billups.

But he's way ahead of the others. Vince Carter, Richard Hamilton and Michael Redd are eating his dust, and no other point guard in the East rates in the top 50 in PER (If you're looking for Jason Kidd, by the way, there's more on him below).

You might think Calderon's numbers are so good because he's been beating up on second-teamers for half the season. Actually, no: His PER has gone up since Ford went out and now is as high as it's been all season. In his 20 games as a starter, he's averaging 13.5 points, 9.9 assists, and shooting 50.0 percent from the field. The other overlooked part is that he's making only 1.5 turnovers per game.

Let me repeat that for emphasis: 9.9 assists. 1.5 turnovers.

That's amazing. To show you how amazing, let's look at a stat I keep called "pure point rating." I created it to replace assist-turnover ratio, which tends to reward point guards who never penetrate. Pure point rating produces more valid ratings of a player's ability as a distributor by rewarding production instead of just making a ratio. (If you're curious, the formula is: Pure Point = (100* ((Assists * 2/3) - Turnovers))/Minutes.)

So
**** your asterisk.
WesWesley
General Manager

Post#26 » by WesWesley » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:11 pm

^^

it's one thing to say he's playing well, and it's another thing to say guys like Carter, Hamilton, and Redd are eating his dust.... Even if it's just in a statistical analysis....

I do however find it amazing how far Calderon has come in the past year. Last year this time he didn't even get consideration to play in the rookie sophomore game.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#27 » by Schad » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:27 pm

I'm in no way stating that he's better than all of those guys, just that it's an eye-opener that he has is even performing close to their level.
**** your asterisk.
WesWesley
General Manager

Post#28 » by WesWesley » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:21 pm

But he isn't performing close to their levels.

they're on the floor for different reasons... None of the guys that Hollinger mentioned are even point guards.

He maybe is performing better than them in his pure point guard statistic... However, when you take a closer look, you realize that he is ranked higher than Nash, so what does that say about Hollinger's statistic?

Return to Player Comparisons