And1: 780

Vince Carter Vs Carmelo Anthony 

Post#1 » by disoblige » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:29 pm

Who would you pick?
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#2 » by Teddy KGB » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:43 pm

Carmelo Anthony. They are both primarily pure scorers, and Melo does it better.
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#3 » by Basileus777 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:52 pm

Carter is the better passer and defender, but I'll take Melo.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#4 » by hermes » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:41 pm

melo close though
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#5 » by NetsForce » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:21 pm

ss_maverick wrote:Carmelo Anthony. They are both primarily pure scorers, and Melo does it better.

That's why Carter is posting the better eFG% (just like he did last year*)... Like Basileus said Carter is also the better passer and defender...

I guess Melo is the better rebounder although Carter is a great rebounder himself... If you're asking "who I would pick" I'd go with Melo though mainly because of his age, this year he's also taking it to the basket more than Carter (34% of his shots are taken around the basket while 29% of Carter's are)... For the last couple of years Melo has also held about +1 free throw attempt advantage over Carter, so it's not that huge but it should be noted...

*During Melo's 5 year career, Carter has posted a higher eFG% than him 3 times, Melo has had the higher eFG% 1 time, and Melo's rookie year when Carter was in Toronto they both had the same eFG% (well Carter's was slightly higher)

Getting back to who's the better scorer though, I'm not convinced that Melo is the better scorer than Carter. Melo's jumper isn't nearly as effective as Carter's and he's also not a three-point threat, he has a nice array of moves in the post but statistically speaking Carter is the better scorer, Melo may score more points (this year he's also taking 4 more shots than Carter), but Carter scores more efficiently.

If you want to bring in this clutchness crap go ahead and do so, but I just find it odd how Carter never gets any recognition for when he comes up clutch (like he did on multiple occassions during the Nets' recent win streak, or even prior to that in their game at Miami), but there are a select group of other players who have every one of their successes hyped to epic proportions while their failures in the clutch are just swept under the rug.

Just to reiterate I'd still take Melo because of his age. Well unless you were asking me who I would take for the Nets, then it's kind of tricky and I'm not really sure who I'd take to be honest... I'd probably go with Carter just because Jefferson is already at the Small Forward position and I'm not sure how Melo would fair at shooting guard. Losing Carter would also leave the Nets without a reliable long-range threat.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#6 » by halfHAVOC » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:33 pm

VC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Melo.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#7 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:36 pm

Carter is a better passer, similar rebounder, and a better defender..Anthony is a better pure scorer IMO..
risktaker91
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by risktaker91 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:03 am

Carmelo Anthony.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#9 » by Patterns » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:34 am

Melo has a far bigger impact in the game.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#10 » by Hendrix » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:52 am

Ide say Melo is the better scorer. In the last 3 years both have been ahead of the other once in TS%, and the other year it was pretty close so I think they are pretty close from an efficincy standpoint. Melo scores more/40 minutes but pace should be factored. I think Melo is the better scorer, and slightly better rebounder while Vince is the better defender, and better passer.

I'de take Melo because he's younger and can still improve. Plus I don't like Vince's effort at times.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
OmniDEN
Starter
And1: 49

Post#11 » by OmniDEN » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:41 am

I watch both guys play regularly (well, not recently) so I feel I can give my opinion here. While if you break down talent level and averages, it may seem like Carter gets the edge because he is a better passer and defender (when he wants to be) but I just see Carmelo having a much bigger impact on the game. He's been having an off-year in terms of efficiency, and he's mostly been deferring to Iverson (Yes I know RJ is scoring a lot of the Nets) so far. Otherwise, we'd be seeing around 28-29ppg/6rpg/4ast on the usual 47-48% shooting.

I'll come back and edit my post after I watch some games, been slacking for a while now.

Return to Player Comparisons