Do you consider Calderon a top 10 point guard?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Is Calderon top 10 and rising?

Yes
51%
No (I'm crazy)
49%

Total votes: 202

jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#181 » by jeff1624 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Considering scoring is barons best ability and ONLY score 3.6 more per game if they were to shoot the same amount is pretty dissapointing IMO... Since his passing and rebounding aren't up to par with kidds that argument only helps mines a lot more. This proves that while Kidd is having a down year he is still the better player...

Nash and Paul are better at this point but Davis is not IMHO...
Dat Leadership
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#182 » by Hendrix » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Considering scoring is barons best ability and ONLY score 3.6 more per game if they were to shoot the same amount is pretty dissapointing IMO... Since his passing and rebounding aren't up to par with kidds that argument only helps mines a lot more. This proves that while Kidd is having a down year he is still the better player...

They don't shoot the same amount of fga..... Baron scores 11 points more a game on far better %'s then Kidd can score on 11ppg.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
jeff1624
RealGM

Post#183 » by jeff1624 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:36 pm

hence the ''If they were to'' part...
Dat Leadership
Kosta
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#184 » by Kosta » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:37 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Considering scoring is barons best ability and ONLY score 3.6 more per game if they were to shoot the same amount is pretty dissapointing IMO... Since his passing and rebounding aren't up to par with kidds that argument only helps mines a lot more. This proves that while Kidd is having a down year he is still the better player...

Baron averages near 9 assists a game, he has the court vision, he makes plays for others. I don't think you understand how much a better a scorer Baron is, we're talking several levels of superiority here. Kidd's play making and rebounding don't make up for his lack of scoring and poor shooting.

Yesterday's game was a perfect example, Kidd couldn't buy a bucket, Baron got scores late in the game. Premier players are suppose to score late in the 4th, they're suppose to make big shots.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#185 » by Hendrix » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:47 pm

jeff1624 wrote:hence the ''If they were to'' part...

That's like saying, "If Marbury, and Kobe took the same amount of fga/game Kobe would only score 3.6 more ppg". You're making it seem like it's a small difference, when in fact the difference between Kidd's, and Baron's scoring ability is massive.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
jeff1624
RealGM

Post#186 » by jeff1624 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:57 pm

Sorry just dont see it, any player who constantly takes 20+ shots is bound to get to 20 points.

Baron davis is a great player but other than scoring (which he doesnt do efficiently I might add) he has nothing on kidd..
Dat Leadership
Kosta
RealGM

Post#187 » by Kosta » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:09 pm

jeff1624 wrote:Sorry just dont see it, any player who constantly takes 20+ shots is bound to get to 20 points.

Baron davis is a great player but other than scoring (which he doesnt do efficiently I might add) he has nothing on kidd..

Oh, but he does. Baron is able to take over a game with his scoring, he's able to make plays at the end of games, he is clutch that way. He's a late game player and wins games for his team that way. Why do you think the Nets suck so much at closing out games? Simple, make Jason Kidd a scorer, make him beat you before Carter/Jefferson. But Kidd still gives up the ball most of the time because he doesn't want to take the shot, which leaves Vince in some ISO on the perimeter with 7 seconds left on the shot clock. When he does shoot the ball, more likely than not he'll miss it.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#188 » by BrooklynBulls » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Hendrix wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

They don't shoot the same amount of fga..... Baron scores 11 points more a game on far better %'s then Kidd can score on 11ppg.

I think he fails to understand that efficiency takes a HUGE hit when the player has hit the highest plateau of his scoring versatility. If scoring could be extrapolated, with efficiency staying the same, explain to me why Steve
Nash and Dirk Nowitzki aren't scoring 40 points a game, if they just shot...twice as much a game, like jeff suggests Kidd could do.
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#189 » by stopnpop » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:52 am

Nash
Paul
Kidd
Billups
Arenas
A.I.
B.Diddy
Parker
Deron
Ford
11- Calderon
A.Miller
Bibby
Mo.Williams
Harris
Felton
Tinsley

If you watch a lot of basketball, as I do, and understand that stats aren't everything; this is the list in order. Players are presumed to be healthy for the purposes of this list. The top 10 can completely dominate a game when they are needed. Calderon and Miller are next, but due to calderon's superior ast/to (this season is the best in history at this point) and shooting (50 fg, 43 3p, 91ft) make him not good enough for the top 10, although he is really close to the 8-10 range, but markedly better than the 12-15 PGs. Also, arguments for Mo. Will, and Fisher...are u serious..do u watch them play, do u understand the game of basketball...Mo is a rich mans Rafer or who? Mike James...Fisher is solid, but he wouldnt start on most teams
yunggunz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#190 » by yunggunz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:55 am

jeff1624 wrote:Sorry just dont see it, any player who constantly takes 20+ shots is bound to get to 20 points.

a player who scores 20 points per game is a player that is talented enough to take the shots needed to score.

If Kidd was taking 20 shots per game his fg% would go down a great deal lower than it already is.
stopnpop
Bench Warmer
And1: 18

Post#191 » by stopnpop » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:56 am

yunggunz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

a player who scores 20 points per game is a player that is talented enough to take the shots needed to score.

If Kidd was taking 20 shots per game his fg% would go down a great deal lower than it already is.

B.Diddy runs the city
CB4_Toronto_Raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#192 » by CB4_Toronto_Raptors » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:06 am

Having players like Nash and Paul above Jose is an insult :P
Jemini80
Banned User

Post#193 » by Jemini80 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:11 am

Tony Parker is a shoot first PG that just happens to have one of the 10 greatest players of all time on his team. The true side of Parker will come out when Duncan retires in 4 years.

Jose calderon is great, I knew it for awhile, I am REALLY disappointed he is getting major cred and major minutes now, because i wanted him on the Knicks for the MLE next summer.
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,533

Post#194 » by TheRaptor! » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:05 am

stopnpop wrote:Nash
Paul
Kidd
Billups
Arenas
A.I.
B.Diddy
Parker
Deron
Ford
11- Calderon
A.Miller
Bibby
Mo.Williams
Harris
Felton
Tinsley

If you watch a lot of basketball, as I do, and understand that stats aren't everything; this is the list in order. Players are presumed to be healthy for the purposes of this list. The top 10 can completely dominate a game when they are needed. Calderon and Miller are next, but due to calderon's superior ast/to (this season is the best in history at this point) and shooting (50 fg, 43 3p, 91ft) make him not good enough for the top 10, although he is really close to the 8-10 range, but markedly better than the 12-15 PGs. Also, arguments for Mo. Will, and Fisher...are u serious..do u watch them play, do u understand the game of basketball...Mo is a rich mans Rafer or who? Mike James...Fisher is solid, but he wouldnt start on most teams

Calderon is a top 10 PG :nod:

Fyi, i do watch alot of ball games, I probably watch more then you do, because watching 3-4 games at the same time is not uncommon for me.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,080
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#195 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:11 am

Kosta wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So you're saying he's overrated now? So let me guess, you think he's behind guys like Miller, Bibby and Raymond Felton, right? Give me a break, he's top 10, whether you want to give the props or not.

Oh hey, nice run btw, what is that 14 out of 16 for the Hornets? Who were the two teams you lost to again? Just to refresh my memory, silly me.

Actually, I just wanted to take a shot at Brandon Roy and Baron homers, and give some props to Jose. Lets not get personal though, I don't think you wanna claim the raptors are better.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cosinostra
Junior
And1: 0

Post#196 » by cosinostra » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 am

Today's Bucks vs. Raps game pretty much sums up the argument that Calderon > Mo Williams.

Mo Williams: 2 Assists, 3 TO's
Calderon: 12 Assists, 1 TO

He may not be as flashy as Mo Williams but the guy has been playing fundamentally sound bball all season. For those that think it's a small sample size, consider that he's been consistently good all season. I was praying he would somehow land on the Rockets early this year but there's no way that's happening now.
cosinostra
Junior
And1: 0

Post#197 » by cosinostra » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:25 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, I just wanted to take a shot at Brandon Roy and Baron homers, and give some props to Jose. Lets not get personal though, I don't think you wanna claim the raptors are better.

I don't know how you can take a shot at Baron Davis. Without him in the lineup, the Warriors are a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. They're that lost when he's not in. Nellie used to try to rest him (limit his minutes) but that experiment ended real fast. Jax is their spiritual leader but Baron is their engine.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#198 » by cb4_89 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:41 pm

I don't see how anyone can say mo williams is on calderons level.
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#199 » by Nothingface » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:40 pm

cb4_89 wrote:mo williams is on calderons level.

I don't see how anyone can say mo williams is on calderons level.
jeff1624
RealGM

Post#200 » by jeff1624 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Calderon is top 10 (Iverson plays SG seeing as anthony carter currently starts at PG for denver)...

Paul
Nash
Arenas
Kidd
Davis
Billups
Deron
Parker
Calderon
Ford
Dat Leadership

Return to Player Comparisons