Brendan Haywood vs Brad Miller

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

SactownHrtBrks8
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#21 » by SactownHrtBrks8 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:23 am

miller31time wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ignore the fact that I'm a Wizards fan, and understand that I try to be as impartial as I can when it comes to any kind of comparison....

Haywood is most certainly a shutdown defender, and I can say this with absolute confidence.

There are very few shutdown players in the league.

I know you are not a homer hyping your player. I've watch Haywood play a lot this year on the league. I know the defense is there consistently every night.

But a shutdown defender? I think not. Good centers will score on him consistently.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#22 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:25 am

kingsfan10 wrote:I see. I could totally understand your guys point of view...Basically, it's a love and hate relationship then...

Exactly. The maddening thing is that his "faults" are all easily correctable, but that's another story.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#23 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:29 am

Artest93 wrote:There are very few shutdown players in the league.

I know you are not a homer hyping your player. I've watch Haywood play a lot this year on the league. I know the defense is there consistently every night.

But a shutdown defender? I think not. Good centers will score on him consistently.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't feel like going through every one of Haywood's matchups against elite post offensive players this season, but basically none of them have had good games. From complete memory, the last time the Wizards faced the Rockets, Haywood guarded Yao, and through 3 quarters (Wood didn't get much if any PT in the 4th), Ming had around 12 points on 4-15 shooting with 3 rebounds and 4 turnovers, while being blocked 3 times. What's crazier? It came to no surprise to any of the Wiz-Board posters. We all predicted it.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#24 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:45 pm

It was 6-15, not 4-15, but the point still stands. Haywood holds every elite center to a subpar performance every time he plays them. It's a given. Haywood is as close to a "shut down" post defender as there is in this league. I honestly don't think there is a better post defender in the game.

The only guys who give him trouble are mobile, tenacious offensive rebounders like Marcus Camby.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#25 » by Smills91 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 pm

I take Brad Miller, he's been an all-star before and is currently playing at a level near those of previous seasons. The gap between their defense is smaller than their gap on offense where Brad is superior. You can run your entire offense through Brad Miller with confidence and he can be a solid player on defense. Haywood can anchor a defense, but really doesn't have much offensive prowess.

Return to Player Comparisons