Would the Suns win 1 game against...

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#21 » by breaker91 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:05 am

I'm actually in the minority and think the Suns would have a shot against the Lakers from 2000-2002. Even back in his prime a 28-29 year old Shaq would have trouble with the kind of pace the Suns play. Sure the Suns don't have an imposing front court, but their definitely not softer than Divac and Webber and that 4-5 combo took the Lakers to 7 games.
"The brownies are good for me to make three-points.'' -Rudy Fernandez
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#22 » by Patterns » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:37 am

breaker91 wrote:I'm actually in the minority and think the Suns would have a shot against the Lakers from 2000-2002. Even back in his prime a 28-29 year old Shaq would have trouble with the kind of pace the Suns play. Sure the Suns don't have an imposing front court, but their definitely not softer than Divac and Webber and that 4-5 combo took the Lakers to 7 games.

The Playoffs is a different beasts. There is absolutely no way the Suns would be able to run like they can now.

The Playoffs is a half-court game no matter what teams are playing.
kooldude
Lead Assistant
And1: 78

Post#23 » by kooldude » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:42 am

breaker91 wrote:I'm actually in the minority and think the Suns would have a shot against the Lakers from 2000-2002. Even back in his prime a 28-29 year old Shaq would have trouble with the kind of pace the Suns play. Sure the Suns don't have an imposing front court, but their definitely not softer than Divac and Webber and that 4-5 combo took the Lakers to 7 games.

I'll take Divac to guard Shaq 11/10 times. At least, Divac is crafty.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#24 » by The_Believer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:58 am

Like somebody said earlier, running in the playoffs isn't gonna work as well as in the season. Also, the CWebb/Vlade frontcourt was very, very good. They were two of the best passing big men ever, CWebb was a 27/11 player at one point, and Vlade could also put up a double-double on a nightly basis. Then, they had an all-nba defender in Christie, a clutch PG in Bibby, and an all-star in Peja. That team also had Hedo, B-Jax, and Gerald Wallace coming off the bench. The early 00's Kings>>> Suns now.
Griever24
Pro Prospect

Post#25 » by Griever24 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:05 am

SuigintouEV wrote:
the 2001 sixers were 5435346536 times better defensively than suns.

The 2008 sybs are 5435346536 times better offensively than sixers.

<I>
The Suns don't have 2001 Iverson on their team.</i>

They have a player who's about twice as good?

on offense and a huge liability on Defense .. no discredit to Nash his offense more than makes up for his horrible defense but when other temas have good pg he gets tore up pretty bad
Griever24
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by Griever24 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:09 am

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Playoffs is a different beasts. There is absolutely no way the Suns would be able to run like they can now.

The Playoffs is a half-court game no matter what teams are playing.

Not to mention once stoudimire gets into foul trouble who guards Shaq ? Horry will make them pay for the doubles off his big man and Young Kobe with the Explosive leaps will put people on posters ... also people think Shaq was slow back then like now but he was much more athletic ...i remember teams trying to make him pay all the time in the playoffs with making their big man sprint as fast as he could down the court but it never had much success ..
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#27 » by Point forward » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:49 pm

I bet that prime Shaq could foul out Amare AND Skinner AND Diaw before the 4th quarter starts. Then we have high comedy with SEAN MARKS trying to guard Shaq.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#28 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:31 pm

Playing with current or old rules?
Zone? Handchecking?

Btw the Suns had been running even in the playoffs in the past three seasons, so it's BS that you can't do it. It might pay less, but you can do it and Shaq would hate it for sure.
You're also underrating the problems Shaq would have on half court defence, he'd not only have to run after Amare on the break but he'd be attacked at every possession and he'd be exposed to foul trouble no less than Stoudemire. He was never full time on such an athletic offensive player, Nash is going to run the pick and roll every time and Amare will have an easy 15fter whenever he wants.

Tha Suns on offence are really tough to handle for anyone, and the Lakers had several holes on their own.

My pick: Lakers, but much closer than whatyou think.

Return to Player Comparisons