And1: 19,429

Post#21 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:24 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:stockton
jordan
campbell
barkley
hakeem

even as rookies, that starting lineup would sh*t on any team in the nba

Well the 1984 foursome is the greatest ever so it's a reasonable place to start. Everyone should make sure they keep perspective though. Stockton was a backup at that time. Don't be thinking you'd be getting anything like all-star caliber play from him.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#22 » by Hendrix » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:18 pm

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:stockton
jordan
campbell
barkley
hakeem

even as rookies, that starting lineup would sh*t on any team in the nba

Yeah that team could win it all. Stockton might not have been Stockton yet, but Stockton, Jordon, and Hakeem were still good defenders. Stockton, and Campbell didn't put up big #'s early, but I have no doubt that Barkley, Hakeem, and Jordon would be fine on offese, with Stockton, and Campbell playing off them.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#23 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:02 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hmm alright folks, how do y'all see the team working?

Let me give an example to warm us up. Jefferson is an offensive big man, whose much worse on offense than Howard. What do you do with him with Howard on the court? Me? I bench Jefferson and start Okafor, no doubt about it. Two great defensive big men is known as twin towers, two great offensive big men? Well have you seen what Curry and Randolph look like now that they're on the floor together? 2 great offensive big men doesn't make it twice as easy to get the ball to 1 of them by the rim, in fact it can clog the paint more so. The term "diminishing returns" has never been more apt.

Now, maybe you're saying "Okay fine, put Okafor in the starting lineup instead of Jefferson, you yourself said that would be good.", yeah but if you didn't know to do that, consider what other problems you haven't thought of yet. Anyone else notice that of all the players Solid Snake mentioned not one of them is a distributor? Maybe the world's best team can be constructed from this group of players, but it is by no means obvious just from their stats.

Normally I agree with your posts, but I have to disagree with the bold part. Did you look at the FG% and go, "Oh, Dwight is a much better offensive player than Al."

No. Dwight shoots a higher % because of dunks, a category in which he is leading the league in by far. Al is not strong like Dwight, Al has to out maneuver his opponents and use a finesse game like Mchale to score his buckets.

Al is a better offensive player than Dwight Howard, he can create for himself much better than Howard can, and has very good foot work for a 23 year old, the only thing Dwight has on offense better than Al is the leaping ability and dunks, I wish Al could get a player to throw lobs at him all day.

I'm assuming you haven't really seen Al with the words "Much Worse" when comparing Al and Dwight's offensive games, but I can honestly say Al has the top 5 post footwork in the league.

Defense? That's a different story, the words "Much Worse" would fit in with D, but not O.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#24 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm

Well I am sure this is in part spurred by the idea of Portland this year, who at whole in their core arent that far removed from their rookie years.

A couple of draft class's prob could do pretty well in the season, maybe make the playoff's.

The biggest things against them is experience, mistakes and I'd say confidence and guidance. While they have the talent, you need the coaching staff to give them direction and so on.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Re: Can a team of rookies win it all? 

Post#25 » by G-Heel » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:54 pm

Storm Surge wrote:PG - Paul
SG - Wade
SF - LeBron
PF - Bosh
C - Howard

Bench
Durant
Deron
David Lee
Bynum
Gay
Roy

NO COACH/ASS. COACHES JUST THE TEAM PLAYING BY ITSELF

Coming in as rookies do you thing they could do it

Kinda weird you got Bynum (who had absolutely no impact in his rookie season).. and what's more surprising is you left out Carmelo, who had a better Rookie season than all of them beside Lebron, and maybe Chris Paul.

Return to Player Comparisons