Rank the best young Centers & Forwards

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Derekman
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Rank the best young Centers & Forwards 

Post#21 » by Derekman » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:49 pm

LakersSquad wrote:
HarlemHeat37 wrote:Bosh is an average defender..Stoudemire is HISTORICALLY bad..

Bosh is a much better passer..much more mature..he's been the leader of his team, something Stoudemire has never had to be..

I'm not one of those people that think Stoudemire's game is from Nash..that's ignorant..but obviously having Nash helps him tremendously..Bosh hasn't played with a talent that comes close to Nash..he hasn't had the benefit of playing with a Shaq-type neither..Amare's supporting cast has always been much better..

Bosh certainly has his advantages..

Why bring up areas where both guys are avg which is Defense and Passing? Neither guy is an Lamar Odom when it comes to passing. Their closer in Defense than they are in offense. Bosh is a better ball handler and slightly better defender (if u want to argue that) Amare is a much better scorer equal rebounder. Better shot blocker. If I had to choose I'd take Amare.

I don't know how you can say Amare is a "Much" better scorer. Bosh averages something like 22 in a slow paced offensive system where as amare averages 25 in one of the fastest offenses in the L. If anything, their offense is closer than their D.
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#22 » by dreamcloud » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:57 pm

What's the cut-off age for being young? I wouldn't consider a 27 year old (West) exactly 'young' like the other guys, that's more like prime age.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by Bucky O'Hare » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:40 pm

TIER 1
Roy Hibbert

TIER 2
Dwight Howard

TIER 3
Andrew Bynum
Chris Kaman
Andrew Bogut

TIER 4
Tyson Chandler
Andris Biedrins

TIER 5
Eddy Curry

TIER 6
Greg Oden
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#24 » by thegreatblaze » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:44 pm

^rofl
Clip34life
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#25 » by Clip34life » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:51 pm

I'm of the belief that Kaman and Bynum are a tier above Bogut.

1. Howard
2ABynum
2BKaman
3Chandler
4Bogut
I really like 1840s merchant vessels. Basketball on the other hand, I can take it or leave it...
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#26 » by kdot99 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:24 am

Howard
Oden
Bynum
Bogut
Kaman
Chandler
Biedrins

Amare
Bosh
Jefferson
Horford
Aldridge
West
Okafor

As you can see, I project Horford to be very, very good.
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#27 » by thegreatblaze » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:35 am

One thing I've noticed about RealGM is posters consistently tend to underrate Aldridge's potential.

Look at this chart:

Code: Select all

Per 36 Minutes

Player            Season   Age  FG%  TRB  BLK  PTS   COMBO
LaMarcus Aldridge 2007-08  22  .483  7.9  1.3  18.3  27.5
Chris Bosh        2004-05  20  .471  8.6  1.3  16.2  26.1
Kevin Garnett     1996-97  20  .499  7.4  2.0  15.7  25.1
Dirk Nowitzki     1999-00  21  .461  6.5  0.8  17.6  24.9
Rasheed Wallace   1996-97  22  .558  8.0  1.1  17.8  26.9
David West(3rd yr) 2005-06 25  .512  7.8  0.9  18.0  26.7

(courtesy of "iverigma" on Basketballforum.com)

Not saying he will be as good as some of these guys. But he's on the right track.
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,480

Post#28 » by cjx » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:36 am

Why has no one mentioned Anthony "Magic Johnson" Randolph :wizard: ?!!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#29 » by farzi » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:49 am

Cracked Fingers wrote:Howard
Bynum
Kaman
Bogut
Chandler
Oden
Biedrins
Curry

Amare
Bosh
Jefferson
West
Horford
Aldridge
Okafur

Sadly, Aldridge and Okafur should be teammates. Morrison pick looking like total crap.

First off, your lists are bad. Second of all, Aldridge went second....so how the hell would he and Okafor be team mates? Brandon Roy maybe since he went 6th, but LMA was right behind Bargnani.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#30 » by LakersSquad » Mon Aug 4, 2008 1:34 am

Derekman wrote:
LakersSquad wrote:
HarlemHeat37 wrote:Bosh is an average defender..Stoudemire is HISTORICALLY bad..

Bosh is a much better passer..much more mature..he's been the leader of his team, something Stoudemire has never had to be..

I'm not one of those people that think Stoudemire's game is from Nash..that's ignorant..but obviously having Nash helps him tremendously..Bosh hasn't played with a talent that comes close to Nash..he hasn't had the benefit of playing with a Shaq-type neither..Amare's supporting cast has always been much better..

Bosh certainly has his advantages..

Why bring up areas where both guys are avg which is Defense and Passing? Neither guy is an Lamar Odom when it comes to passing. Their closer in Defense than they are in offense. Bosh is a better ball handler and slightly better defender (if u want to argue that) Amare is a much better scorer equal rebounder. Better shot blocker. If I had to choose I'd take Amare.

I don't know how you can say Amare is a "Much" better scorer. Bosh averages something like 22 in a slow paced offensive system where as amare averages 25 in one of the fastest offenses in the L. If anything, their offense is closer than their D.

How about the fact that Amare avg more ppg even though he has more offensive weapons on his team? How about the fact that Amare shoots a better % on jumpers. How about the fact that Amare is more explosive. The Scoring aint close. Amare avg 30+ in the playoffs vs Duncan(2005) while Bosh was barely avging 20+ lol Bosh is good but I wouldn't pick him over Amare.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#31 » by LakersSquad » Mon Aug 4, 2008 1:37 am

dreamcloud wrote:What's the cut-off age for being young? I wouldn't consider a 27 year old (West) exactly 'young' like the other guys, that's more like prime age.

26 was the cut off age but I wasn't aware that he's 27. But anyway he's only been around for what 4 years?
dreamcloud
Analyst

Post#32 » by dreamcloud » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:13 am

He's going into his sixth year I believe
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#33 » by dunkonu21 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:30 am

I'm a homer, but I'd put Jefferson above Bosh. The games they play are just so much different and I'd rather have points in the paint than a jump shooting somewhat soft Bosh.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User

Post#34 » by Bucky O'Hare » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:58 am

Wrong thread...
And 1 Amare
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by And 1 Amare » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:09 am

cjx wrote:Why has no one mentioned Anthony "Magic Johnson" Randolph :wizard: ?!!

Anthony Randolph is not a power forward, he's a small forward. He was a power forward in LSU because the coach wanted him to become a post player, obviously the coach didn't see his ballhandling ability.

At 6'10", he should turn out to be a great player for the Golden State Warriors. In the future, he'll be playing with Brandan Wright at power forward, and Andris Biedrins at center. With

He's only 19 years old, and doctors are saying that he's not done growing.. i'd rather have him stay at 6'10" or at least 6'11" so he doesn't lose his ballhandling. And btw, the Magic Johnson thread on the GSW board is only comparing him with Magic's skillset as a tall guy handling the ball; in no way are we saying that he's the NEXT Magic Johnson. The only guy in the league that most of us see close to Magic is LeBron.

In the VSL, Randolph showcased his handles as he scored at will and even broke Gerald Green's ankles (although for some reason it's not even on Youtube). Keith Smart was the coach, and all he did was tell Anthony to score. In the Rocky Mountain Revue it was different, as the Warriors new coach (Sidney Moncrief) made Anthony become more of a team player; it resulted in AR putting a performance of great playmaking, which is why a lot of us Warriors fans are excited to have him.

Hopefully this guy gets a lot of playing time this upcoming season. I want to see him in the dunk contest too, but usually 6'10" guys get outshined by smaller guys unless everyone is on your nuts just because you put on a superman costume and threw the ball in the rim.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
Malinhion
Banned User

Post#36 » by Malinhion » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:34 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I'm not seeing this big time potential in Horford that everyone else is, he has no outstanding offensive or physical skills, he's not intimidating defensively, and he's only a solid rebounder. I think he's the only one other than Curry that was below a block per game.
Huh?

He had a longer standing reach than fellow Gator 7-footer Joakim Noah, his lane agility drill and 3/4-court sprint were both faster than Kevin Durant's, and he also beat both top picks in max vert and bench press. Throw in a back-to-back championship pedigree and the rookie campaign you just witnessed. He provided solid post play at both ends and was the piece that pushed the Hawks into the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. What's not to like about Horford?

Do you seriously think he's peaked? Even with a marginal improvement on his rookie campaign, we're looking at a player producing as well as Bogut, Kaman, Bynum, Chandler, Biedrins, Sheed, etc. That's a solid tier-2 center in a league with a very meager pinnacle.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#37 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:34 am

Malinhion wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I'm not seeing this big time potential in Horford that everyone else is, he has no outstanding offensive or physical skills, he's not intimidating defensively, and he's only a solid rebounder. I think he's the only one other than Curry that was below a block per game.
Huh?

He had a longer standing reach than fellow Gator 7-footer Joakim Noah, his lane agility drill and 3/4-court sprint were both faster than Kevin Durant's, and he also beat both top picks in max vert and bench press. Throw in a back-to-back championship pedigree and the rookie campaign you just witnessed. He provided solid post play at both ends and was the piece that pushed the Hawks into the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. What's not to like about Horford?

Do you seriously think he's peaked? Even with a marginal improvement on his rookie campaign, we're looking at a player producing as well as Bogut, Kaman, Bynum, Chandler, Biedrins, Sheed, etc. That's a solid tier-2 center in a league with a very meager pinnacle.

Noah's standing reach was unimpressive though.

I don't think he's peaked, but I can't rank him above Aldridge, West, Okafor etc, and I do think he's ultimately a PF.

He's very solid, that's really about all though to me, he's unspectacular offensively, solid on man D, a strong rebounder(lovin that for sure), and a proficient passer.

I like Horford, I just don't see him as a star, but I can definitely see him surpassing people like Chandler, Beans, and Sheed, I think he will have enough of a repertoire offensively to score 17ish and make himself much more dangerous than Chandler and Biedrins.

Maybe it's defensively that's not doing it for me, very solid on man D, but not much of a game changer on help D at all.

I dunno, I think West has about peaked, I think Aldridge will be better than West when he peaks, and Okafor is a stronger rebounder, and much more dominating presence defensively right from the start, and I think he will definitely see a jump in offense this next year.

I like Horford though, solid solid player, should border on all-star status, and his teams will probably be successful.

Edit: as for the athleticism tests, Kevin Durant stunk at the camp, and Oden didn't lift because of his wrist, but he handled Horford downlow in the championship game(which isn't an indictment on Horford, I thought it was incredible that he did, because Horford is a strong, stout mofo).

Note to Wolve's fans, Kevin Love's numbers were pretty similar to Horford's, which looks really good, definitely dispels that unathletic white guy myth.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#38 » by farzi » Mon Aug 4, 2008 8:44 am

dunkonu21 wrote:I'm a homer, but I'd put Jefferson above Bosh. The games they play are just so much different and I'd rather have points in the paint than a jump shooting somewhat soft Bosh.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
dreamcloud
Analyst

Post#39 » by dreamcloud » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:20 am

farzi wrote:
dunkonu21 wrote:I'm a homer, but I'd put Jefferson above Bosh. The games they play are just so much different and I'd rather have points in the paint than a jump shooting somewhat soft Bosh.

Well that explains his other ridiculous post.
Silk Wilkes
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#40 » by Silk Wilkes » Mon Aug 4, 2008 6:29 pm

LakersSquad wrote:Centers & Forwards being ranked separately

Candidates for Centers in: Dwight "Superman" Howard, Andrew Bynum, Greg Oden, AB from Golden state, AB from the Bucks, Tyson Chandler, Curry, and Kaman

Candidates for Forwards: Al Jefferson, Okafor, Lemarcus Aldridge, Amare, Al Horford, D west, Bosh,

RANK EM!

Centers:

1. Dwight Howard
2. Andrew Bynum
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Chris Kaman
5. Andrew Bogut
6. Andris Biedrins
7. Greg Oden (could move waaay up when he actually plays a game)
8. Eddy Curry

Forwards:

1. Chris Bosh
2. Amare Stoudamire
3a. David West
3b. Al Jefferson
5. Al Horford (will likely move past D. West at least imo)
6. Emeka Okafor
7. LaMarcus Aldridge

Return to Player Comparisons