Oscar Robertson vs Dr J vs Lebron vs Jerry West ......

Moderators: Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal

Oscar Robertson vs Dr J vs Lebron vs Jerry West - Who would you build a team around from scratch?

Oscar Robertson
23%
Dr J
23%
Lebron
31%
Jerry West
23%

Total votes: 13

JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,321

Oscar Robertson vs Dr J vs Lebron vs Jerry West ...... 

Post#1 » by JordansBulls » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:09 pm

Oscar Robertson vs Dr J vs Lebron vs Jerry West - Who would you build a team around from scratch?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
andykeikei
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Re: Oscar Robertson vs Dr J vs Lebron vs Jerry West ...... 

Post#2 » by andykeikei » Mon Mar 2, 2009 3:26 pm

I want my player to be a two-way player. So Oscar and LeBron out...not saying they play bad defense, but Dr.J and West are on another level.

I would choose Dr.J over West for the reason that he is more complete IMO. Score, rebound, pass, steal, block shots, flashy, great locker room guy all in 1 package.
shawngoat23 wrote:I would say Walton's impact is Russell-esque, but he's really just a classical human being who defies comparison to anyone in the history of Western civilization.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#3 » by Baller 24 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 4:37 pm

Dr. J. If he played his entire career in the NBA he'd be on the level of Bird/Magic. Even without playing in the NBA he's one hell of a talent overall led his team to 4 finals appearances, and lost to teams that were clearly superior to his, but finally when he got the right offensive help he won a ring with one of the best teams ever ('83 Sixers).
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#4 » by JordansBulls » Mon Mar 2, 2009 5:10 pm

andykeikei wrote:I want my player to be a two-way player. So Oscar and LeBron out...not saying they play bad defense, but Dr.J and West are on another level.

I would choose Dr.J over West for the reason that he is more complete IMO. Score, rebound, pass, steal, block shots, flashy, great locker room guy all in 1 package.

So you don't consider Lebron nor Oscar decent on the defensive end?
- Michael Jordan
heatboY
Sophomore

Post#5 » by heatboY » Mon Mar 2, 2009 6:21 pm

you have to take the big O. he's the most underrated player in NBA history and he had the best statistical season ever. come on, i'll take oscar. ( when he finally got good teammates he won constantly)
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#6 » by JordansBulls » Mon Mar 2, 2009 7:55 pm

heatboY wrote:you have to take the big O. he's the most underrated player in NBA history and he had the best statistical season ever. come on, i'll take oscar. ( when he finally got good teammates he won constantly)

How is he the most underrated player in NBA History? He didn't really have much success as the best player on his team.
- Michael Jordan
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#7 » by Cybulski37 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 8:11 pm

With Oscar's triple double, you have to take pace into account. I saw something where LeBron in that year's pace would have 40/10/10. Oscar would have 20/8/8, which is still amazing but not as good as the triple double numbers.
warriorfan650 wrote:Baron Davis = 2 All Star Games Played.
Jonathan Bender = 2 Games Played.

Owned!
andykeikei
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by andykeikei » Mon Mar 2, 2009 8:12 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
andykeikei wrote:I want my player to be a two-way player. So Oscar and LeBron out...not saying they play bad defense, but Dr.J and West are on another level.

Even they are decent on defensive end (doubt Oscar was), you are comparing Dr.J and West who were both great defensive player. And I would say they were better on offensive end too.
shawngoat23 wrote:I would say Walton's impact is Russell-esque, but he's really just a classical human being who defies comparison to anyone in the history of Western civilization.
andykeikei
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by andykeikei » Mon Mar 2, 2009 8:13 pm

heatboY wrote:you have to take the big O. he's the most underrated player in NBA history and he had the best statistical season ever. come on, i'll take oscar. ( when he finally got good teammates he won constantly)

He got Jerry Lucas...
heatboY
Sophomore

Post#10 » by heatboY » Mon Mar 2, 2009 9:39 pm

Oscar was on a TERRIBLE team and is costantly ranked somewhere in the top 10 but not as high as he deserves. He didn't win because of these 2 teams named the Celtics and the 76ers. you might have heard of them. Oscar had the 2nd best statistical year ever and guess what? if you adjust for league averages Wilt's 50 point season it's not really that great... and Stockton's 14.5 ast season is overrated..... and Jordan's 38ppg isn't so hot.... That arguement is crap. If it was just good not great than how come no one else averaged a triple double, or 14.5, or 50 ppg? Lebron would not dismantle anyone from the past. He would be injured because he would have gotten banged up right away. and the reason Oscar scored so much is because he was a great spot up shooter. something Lebron isn't even close to being.
heatboY
Sophomore

Post#11 » by heatboY » Mon Mar 2, 2009 9:41 pm

It was also alot harder to get ast's back then so if you adjust for league average give Oscar 4 more assists per game. ( If you dribbled after catching a pass, no assist was given)
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#12 » by Warspite » Mon Mar 2, 2009 10:04 pm

heatboY wrote:It was also alot harder to get ast's back then so if you adjust for league average give Oscar 4 more assists per game. ( If you dribbled after catching a pass, no assist was given)

There were 20% fewer asts per FG back then. It ends up being a wash vs pace. Oscar does play alot like LBJ to be honest its just that Oscar has a better jump shot and LBJ is bigger. Oscar at 6'6" and 220lbs is a smaller LBJ playing PG. I would guess Oscars def is just a little below Kidds but how great of def do you have to play when you make more FTs than Wilt Chamberlain. Oscar avgs 11FTA per game in a era with fewer fouls called for pace. His pick and roll offense was on par with Stockton.

I would most likely take Oscar because a PG has more value.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
JordansBulls
RealGM

Post#13 » by JordansBulls » Tue Mar 3, 2009 2:00 am

andykeikei wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

Even they are decent on defensive end (doubt Oscar was), you are comparing Dr.J and West who were both great defensive player. And I would say they were better on offensive end too.

So you believe Dr J was a better offensive player than Lebron?
- Michael Jordan
andykeikei
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by andykeikei » Tue Mar 3, 2009 6:41 am

JordansBulls wrote:So you believe Dr J was a better offensive player than Lebron?

Instead of keep asking me questions, why don't you share your valuable insight? I would really like to see your argument because someone has to be blind to not see West and Dr. J as the better defender than LeBron and Oscar.

And to answer your question, yes I still consider West and Dr. J as the better offensive player. Dr. J in his prime average 30 points, 10 rebounds and 5 assists a game with above 50FG% and 76FT%. On the other hand, as good as LeBron is right now, he still has lots of room to improve. As a perimeter player his jumpshot is too inconsistent, not to mention he doesn't have a post game despite his size advantage against most people. I don't even want to argue how many times he got bailed out by refs not calling his travelling

Return to Player Comparisons