Will there ever be a point in time when...

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

tmac4real
Banned User
And1: 0

Will there ever be a point in time when... 

Post#1 » by tmac4real » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:55 am

Dwayne Wade will be considered superior to Lebron James.

Yeah Wade has the ring but people still consider LBJ to be superior.

My question is do you think in the future Wade will rise so much that he will surpass LBJ as the better player?
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,107

Re: Will there ever be a point in time when... 

Post#2 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Mar 3, 2009 8:21 am

2 things to consider here.

First off, there is the consensus opinion that LeBron is better than Wade. For Wade to change that trend, he would really have to do something amazing, that LeBron doesn't match. I mean, look at how unwilling the mainstream media is to anoint LeBron better than Kobe, even as he leads an inferior team to a similar record with better statistics.

Secondly, there is the matter of potential. Not necessarily that Wade doesn't have the potential to surpass LeBron, but rather, the perception that LeBron has unlimited untapped potential. The assumption with LeBron is he'll always be able to develop things like a post game or a more consistent jumper. Nobody makes that assumption with Wade (even though he has improved his game arguably as much as LeBron if not more since entering the league). So once again, people will take it for granted that there is more to LeBron than they see, while they will assume they are always seeing the best of Wade.

These 2 issues make it hard for me to see a point where Wade will be considered better. He'd probably have to win at least 2 rings before LeBron wins 1, and seeing as how he probably won't be contending for a title til at least 2010-2011, the clock is ticking. Doing something like knocking the Cavs out of the playoffs in a head-to-head matchup could buy him some time though, until a real team is assembled around him.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,872

Post#3 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Mar 3, 2009 9:34 am

If wade wins a ship either this year or next and lebron doesnt then yes.

I dont see it happening though.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#4 » by Baller 24 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:47 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:If wade wins a ship either this year or next and lebron doesnt then yes.

Not even then, you've got to add some individual accomplishments, LeBron hasn't even peaked yet, and his first 6 years in the league are as good as anyone in NBA history when considering his effectiveness. So, personally I don't think it's ever going to happen for the general consensus to realize Wade > LBJ, personally I don't think Wade has the same kind of potential.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,872

Post#5 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Mar 3, 2009 7:57 pm

Baller 24 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:If wade wins a ship either this year or next and lebron doesnt then yes.

Not even then, you've got to add some individual accomplishments, LeBron hasn't even peaked yet, and his first 6 years in the league are as good as anyone in NBA history when considering his effectiveness. So, personally I don't think it's ever going to happen for the general consensus to realize Wade > LBJ, personally I don't think Wade has the same kind of potential.

You dont think wade winning a championship this summer would make people think hes better than LeBron right now?

I am a cavs fan, and I think so.
enuggz
Starter
And1: 5

Post#6 » by enuggz » Tue Mar 3, 2009 8:27 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:
Baller 24 wrote:

You dont think wade winning a championship this summer would make people think hes better than LeBron right now?

I am a cavs fan, and I think so.

Yeah but Lebron probably walks away with his 1st MVP this year so I think it will take a bit more for Wade in the next few years to surpass him.
Bac2Basics wrote:*Documentary Voice*
The lockout affected them all a little differently, a couple of them went completely stark raving nuts.
Chris435
Starter
And1: 58

Post#7 » by Chris435 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 10:19 pm

if Wade were to win the championship (not gonna happen...Boston, Orlando, Cleveland anyone???), he'd be better than Kobe and Lebron, no question
canefandynasty
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#8 » by canefandynasty » Tue Mar 3, 2009 10:53 pm

If Wade can win this year with that squad then Wade would be top 20 in the all time, and greater than Kobe, while LeBron wouldn't be in the convo.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,792

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 11:52 pm

Wade also has to stay on the court. He is being hurt a bit by the fact that he missed significant chunks of at least half the seasons he has been in the league. That and the fact that he led the worst team in the league last year didn't help (just as his ring is the main reason we are even thinking about this comparisom).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#10 » by conleyorbust » Wed Mar 4, 2009 1:20 am

penbeast0 wrote:Wade also has to stay on the court. He is being hurt a bit by the fact that he missed significant chunks of at least half the seasons he has been in the league. That and the fact that he led the worst team in the league last year didn't help (just as his ring is the main reason we are even thinking about this comparisom).

Well, I tend the think of the ring as The Man is an accomplishment, meaning to this point it reflects on his greatness and his career but not necessarilly his ability as a player.

In terms of who is "better" today, I think they're very close to being equal actually. Wade strikes more fear into me as a dynamic scorer and Lebron has a better all around game. I feel like Lebron tends to make more of a difference even when the ball isn't going in than Kobe or Wade which is what really sets him apart though.

That combined with the fact that Wade has a few years on Lebron and has already had some season-altering injuries makes me think it'll be unlikely that he's ever considered the superior player, even though in a vacuum I'd have a tough time deciding which one I'd rather face for a game.

Return to Player Comparisons