Jose Calderon or Devin Harris

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Who is the better point guard, Jose Calderon or Devin Harris?

Jose Calderon
6%
Devin Harris
94%

Total votes: 18

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Jose Calderon or Devin Harris 

Post#1 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:21 am

Who is the better point guard between the two and why?

Which one would you rather have on your team if you had to choose between the two?

I'm not even going to voice my opinion till things get going, I am trying to watch the game right now and the Warriors are on the friggin come back, plus I don't want to taint the argument.

So who you got?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Re: Jose Calderon or Devin Harris 

Post#2 » by microfib4thewin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:38 am

Are you kidding? Devin Harris x 10000. Even when you take every flaw into his consideration and downplay his abilities Devin is much better than Calderon who's nothing when his jumpers don't fall.
positivetension
Veteran
And1: 1,137

Post#3 » by positivetension » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:53 am

Coming into the season it was Calderon. Since then, Harris has taken it to another level and Calderon seems to have slightly regressed(could be partly blamed on hamstring).

Harris is better now and likely in the future. I don't think this is much of a comparison.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#4 » by Kabookalu » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:13 am

positivetension wrote:Coming into the season it was Calderon. Since then, Harris has taken it to another level and Calderon seems to have slightly regressed(could be partly blamed on hamstring).

Harris is better now and likely in the future. I don't think this is much of a comparison.

Not slightly worse, he's been pretty bad overall this year. Stats may say otherwise, but last year he was a pretty adequate second option; he was always a threat to score because of his shooting abilities. Now all he does is pass and usually only gets his shots off when he's completely wide open. And let's not even talk about his defense...
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#5 » by Schad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:31 am

Harris without a doubt. Calderon is marginally better at running a team IMO, but Harris is orders of magnitude better defensively, and a much more prolific scorer to boot.

I can't imagine anyone picking Calderon after the season Harris has had, really.
**** your asterisk.
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#6 » by BlackIce » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Is this a joke? Harris
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,381

Post#7 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:27 pm

Calderon is only debatably a starting-caliber point guard; he's potentially the worst defender in the league and is so passive that all he creates are stand-still jumpers. Basically all he does is look like he's rushing up the court, then turns his BACK to the rim while he resets 5-10 feet off the top of the arc and starts up a half-court set almost always based around a high sidescreen. He uses screens really well and sometimes, SOMETIMES, he can get to the rim. He used to do it a little bit more often and he's been injured this year, but that only flies so far and even back in '07, he wasn't sufficiently aggressive. Meantime, he's an astonishingly talented set shooter. His assist-to-turnover ratio always impresses but that's on account of him taking no risks. Ever.

Harris is a good defender when he puts his mind to it (recall him doing a better job than anyone else on Wade in '06, for example) and he's a much more dynamic offensive presence. Not as "good" a volume passer as Calderon, probably because he relies more on penetrate-and-pitch rather than pick-and-roll, but 20/6 is really nice, especially given how he draws fouls.

Harris, no question.
gloriousthree
Junior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by gloriousthree » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:20 pm

New rule: You cant post in the Player Comparison board unless it's even remotely debatable. Harris by a mile.
Greasenani FTW!!
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#9 » by SuigintouEV » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:41 pm

tsherkin wrote:Harris is a good defender when he puts his mind to it (recall him doing a better job than anyone else on Wade in '06, for example)

Wade was torching him just as bad if not worse as he was torching the rest of the mavs. The only players that even close to limited Wade in the 06 playoffs were Chris Duhon and Kirk Hinrich.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,381

Post#10 » by tsherkin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:31 pm

SuigintouEV wrote:
tsherkin wrote:Harris is a good defender when he puts his mind to it (recall him doing a better job than anyone else on Wade in '06, for example)

Wade was torching him just as bad if not worse as he was torching the rest of the mavs. The only players that even close to limited Wade in the 06 playoffs were Chris Duhon and Kirk Hinrich.

Harris wasn't on Wade enough for him to have been "torched," but he did a better job than anyone else on Dallas of staying in front of Wade; Dwyane rubbed Harris off on picks and was just starting to hit the 20-footer with consistency, plus he had huge rhythm for that series.

You're right, though, Hinrich did a much better job.

Return to Player Comparisons