1970-71 Bucks: Forotten by time and realgm

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,580

1970-71 Bucks: Forotten by time and realgm 

Post#1 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:36 pm

This is perhaps the greatest single season team of all time. They didn't win multiple championships like the Bulls or Celtics, nor did they play in major cities like Philadelphia or LA. All they did was crush the competition in the regular season and post season.

The Milwaukee Bucks had the arguable GOAT in Kareem playing at his peak when he was arguably the most complete player who ever lived. Oscar Robertson, though past his prime, was still an elite player. As well as a great supporting cast in player like Dandridge, McGlockin (who if the shot existed would have hit three because he had legitimate three point range), and a good bench. They controlled the glass all year.

I understand they caught some breaks in the playoffs, with the Lakers injuries and the Knicks failing to get by the Bullets, but this is one of the greatest teams of all time and they should be considered when we debate the subject.

Now, they were before my time and I have only seen limited footage of them. For those that did see them during their peak years. Give us the highlights.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,885

Re: 1970-71 Bucks: Forotten by time and realgm 

Post#2 » by ronnymac2 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:54 pm

I think they went 10-0 in the preseason, too. lol

Yeah, they are a legit GOAT team. I think they set records for efficieny that season, playing off Oscar and Kareem. Oscar had 30 points and 9 assists in game 4 of the finals to clinch- a much more fitting way to break through and win a title after years of losing than Jerry West's 1972 performance (No disrespect to Mr. Clutch).
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#3 » by JordansBulls » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:00 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:This is perhaps the greatest single season team of all time. They didn't win multiple championships like the Bulls or Celtics, nor did they play in major cities like Philadelphia or LA. All they did was crush the competition in the regular season and post season.

The Milwaukee Bucks had the arguable GOAT in Kareem playing at his peak when he was arguably the most complete player who ever lived. Oscar Robertson, though past his prime, was still an elite player. As well as a great supporting cast in player like Dandridge, McGlockin (who if the shot existed would have hit three because he had legitimate three point range), and a good bench. They controlled the glass all year.

I understand they caught some breaks in the playoffs, with the Lakers injuries and the Knicks failing to get by the Bullets, but this is one of the greatest teams of all time and they should be considered when we debate the subject.

Now, they were before my time and I have only seen limited footage of them. For those that did see them during their peak years. Give us the highlights.

They were one of the best teams ever, I never forgot about them. In fact they have the highest SRS of 11.91 and the '96 Bulls had the next highest at 11.80.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,580

Post#4 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Bump

Normally don't do this but I want see if there are any replies
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#5 » by Baller 24 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:38 pm

Interesting, yeah they're forgotten a lot, and they're quite underrated overall. When you think of that team, you think of dominating Kareem with the 'fro and unique footwork, passing, rebounding, defense, and offensive abilities. Oscar 20/8 IIRC was playing terrifically that year too, he was still every effective, and Kareem actually has referred to Oscar (in a book about Oscar) as the greatest point guard of all-time (this is after playing WITH Magic), and he'd claim that he did some of the most amazing and creative things with the ball.

Yeah, definitely underrated as a team, and one of the GOAT candidates.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
And1: 286

Post#6 » by shawngoat23 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm

I'll admit it. I know they were a great team, but I never mention them when discussing great teams, so they're underrated in that sense by me.
penbeast0 wrote:Yes, he did. And as a mod, I can't even put him on ignore . . . sigh.
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#7 » by The Main Event » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:22 pm

Baller 24 wrote:Interesting, yeah they're forgotten a lot, and they're quite underrated overall. When you think of that team, you think of dominating Kareem with the 'fro and unique footwork, passing, rebounding, defense, and offensive abilities. Oscar 20/8 IIRC was playing terrifically that year too, he was still every effective, and Kareem actually has referred to Oscar (in a book about Oscar) as the greatest point guard of all-time (this is after playing WITH Magic), and he'd claim that he did some of the most amazing and creative things with the ball.

What book was that/
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#8 » by Baller 24 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:39 pm

The Main Event wrote:
Baller 24 wrote:Interesting, yeah they're forgotten a lot, and they're quite underrated overall. When you think of that team, you think of dominating Kareem with the 'fro and unique footwork, passing, rebounding, defense, and offensive abilities. Oscar 20/8 IIRC was playing terrifically that year too, he was still every effective, and Kareem actually has referred to Oscar (in a book about Oscar) as the greatest point guard of all-time (this is after playing WITH Magic), and he'd claim that he did some of the most amazing and creative things with the ball.

What book was that/

I read it about 5 years ago, I read it at a local library, but IIRC it was just a simple autobiography of Oscar's career.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
1987_Lakers
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#9 » by 1987_Lakers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 pm

They were definitely the most "dominant" team in NBA History.

Regular Season Point Differential: +12.2

Postseason Point Differential
1st Round: bye
2nd Round: +17.0
Conference Finals: +13.8
Finals: +12.3
Overall: +14.5

They had reached to a 65-11 record, before sparing some effort for the playoffs. (Finished season 66-16)

I guess if you are not from a major city or have a history of success, you tend to be forgotten, although they definitely don't deserve to be. Great team.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Joana » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:55 pm

1987_Lakers wrote:I guess if you are not from a major city or have a history of success, you tend to be forgotten, although they definitely don't deserve to be. Great team.

Yeah, unfortunately I guess that's true. The Bucks also had some very good teams and players in the 80s that nobody ever talks about....

Robertson wrote an auto-biography. Not a very good or informative book from a basketball standpoint, IMO. Obligatory reading if you're interested on the political opinions of the Big O and his version of his own greatness.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#11 » by TMACFORMVP » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 pm

When talking about some of the most dominant duos to have ever played, the Bucks rarely get mentioned due to Oscar being "past" his prime, but he was really the same player from the couple of seasons before (certainly not early Royals Oscar), only difference, he took less shot attempts for the better of the team:

19.4 points per game, 5.7 rebounds per game, 8.2 assists per game on over 49% from the floor and 85% from the line. His impact was even greater, people forget the Bucks failed to make the playoffs after Oscar retired when the previous season they had made the finals (though there's much more to the story--main story likely being Kareem missing a decent chunk of games that season as well. Dandridge was real underrated throughout their run as well, he was actually their 2nd leading scorer in the post-season, playing terrific D as always. 19.2 points per game, 9.6 rebounds per game, 3.4 assists per game on over 46% from the floor.

And Kareem had a GOAT season, 32/16/3, around 27/17 in the playoffs on ridiculous shooting--57% from the floor. With Wilt, he was the best defensive anchor in the entire league, the Bucks were 3rd in opponents points, and first in opponents defensive FG%, and by a decent margin (he actually made the All-Defense team over Wilt iirc)? Then in the finals against the Bullets/Unseld, Kareem averaged 27/18 on over 60% from the floor in a sweep.

- Oscar was also 23/5/9 in that series, and Dandridge was nearly 20/10/4 on both well over 50% from the floor, it was COMPLETE domination.

You have arguably the greatest player to have ever played the game in Kareem, one of the very best PG's, and third option/defensive role players in guys like Dandridge. They were both the best offensive and defensive team in the league that season. If you thought their defense was impressive (3rd in the league in points allowed--first in defensive FG%, and over 2% difference from the first two leading in points allowed--only within one point differential in that category), their offense might have been even MORE efficient.

- 118 points per game (1st in the league, 2nd in league were Celtics at 117)
- .509 FG% as a team (1st in league, 2ND IN LEAGUE WERE LAKERS AT 47% from the floor)

That's amazing, their differential between their scoring/FG% is almost the same pace at the Suns are right now (who I was surprised to see are leading the league in both categories, by a rather noticeable margin). They were like a blend of the Suns and Spurs.

Yes I'd definitely say those Bucks team were very underrated, and one of the greatest teams of all time led by the arguable GOAT to have ever played.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#12 » by JordansBulls » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am

1987_Lakers wrote:They were definitely the most "dominant" team in NBA History.

Regular Season Point Differential: +12.2

Postseason Point Differential
1st Round: bye
2nd Round: +17.0
Conference Finals: +13.8
Finals: +12.3
Overall: +14.5

They had reached to a 65-11 record, before sparing some effort for the playoffs. (Finished season 66-16)

I guess if you are not from a major city or have a history of success, you tend to be forgotten, although they definitely don't deserve to be. Great team.

To compare here is what some other dominant teams have done.

Regular Season - margin of victory
'72 Lakers - 15.9
'96 Bulls - 15.0
’87 Lakers --14
’64 Celtics – 13.3
'67 Sixers - 13.2
'86 Celtics - 13.0

Playoffs - margin of victory
’87 Lakers –15.6
'96 Bulls - 15.0
'86 Celtics - 14.3
'67 Sixers - 13.5
’64 Celtics –11.8
'72 Lakers - 9.75

Combined Regular Season and Playoff margin of victory
'96 Bulls - 15.0
’87 Lakers -14.8
'86 Celtics - 13.7
'67 Sixers - 13.4
'72 Lakers - 12.84
’64 Celtics – 12.6
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,431

Post#13 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:45 am

Style of play: Larry Costello was big on what he called "opportunity baskets." He liked to have his defenses trap and double team so they could get high percentage shots off of steals and blocks. Having Kareem in the low post and Dandridge as a good defending wing to cover up for that was critical to that style. It allowed mediocre defenders like Oscar (by that time) and Lucius Allen to gamble more. If the team couldn't get an easy basket, they always into a strict halfcourt aimed at getting it primarily to Kareem. They were a slow pace team that fouled more than their opponents...but had really high FG% and efficiency because

1) They got the easy baskets from their D
2) They had the best halfcourt offensive weapon in the league
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#14 » by studcrackers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 am

anybody think they may be overlooked b/c the next year came the 69 win laker team?
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
1987_Lakers
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#15 » by 1987_Lakers » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:15 am

JordansBulls wrote:
To compare here is what some other dominant teams have done.

Regular Season - margin of victory
'72 Lakers - 15.9
'96 Bulls - 15.0
’87 Lakers --14
’64 Celtics – 13.3
'67 Sixers - 13.2
'86 Celtics - 13.0

Playoffs - margin of victory
’87 Lakers –15.6
'96 Bulls - 15.0
'86 Celtics - 14.3
'67 Sixers - 13.5
’64 Celtics –11.8
'72 Lakers - 9.75

Combined Regular Season and Playoff margin of victory
'96 Bulls - 15.0
’87 Lakers -14.8
'86 Celtics - 13.7
'67 Sixers - 13.4
'72 Lakers - 12.84
’64 Celtics – 12.6

Those point differentials are all incorrect. I don't know where you got those numbers from.

'96 Bulls Point Differential in the regular season was +12.3 and +10.6 in the postseason.

'87 Lakers Point Differential in the regular season was +9.3 and +11.4 in the postseason.

'86 Celtics Point Differential in the regular season was +9.4 and +10.3 in the postseason.

'67 Sixers Point Differential in the regular season was +9.4 and +9.3 in the postseason.

'72 Lakers Point Differential in the regular season was +12.3 and +2.4 in the postseason.

Greatest Point Differentials in the Regular Season:
1. '72 Lakers - +12.3
2. '96 Bulls - +12.3
3. '71 Bucks +12.2

Greatest Point Differentials in the Postseason:
1. '71 Bucks - +14.5
2. '87 Lakers - +11.4
3. '96 Bulls - +10.6
4. '86 Celtics - +10.3

The 1971 Milwaukee Bucks were THE most "dominant" team in NBA History.
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#16 » by Point forward » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:06 am

The 1971 Bucks were disgusting. IMHO, Kareem was better than prime Shaq (YES HE WAS), Oscar was better than Steve Nash (he was getting worse on D, but not that much yet), and Dandridge and McGlocklin were perfect 3rd and 4th options. The problem with the Bucks is IMHO that

-They played in a small market, no hype + the two best players KAJ and Oscar had troubled relationships with the press: no MJ effect
-They were surrounded by championship teams with better stories: 1969 Celtics and 1970 Knicks came back in GOAT Game 7s, and the 1972 Lakers were maybe *THE* GOAT team.
-They had no real fight: they beat the Lakers w/o West and Erickson, and swept the Bullets, who beat the Knicks but matched up badly vs the Bucks (KAJ >>> Unseld, Oscar > Monroe)

Still, their dominance is something for the record books. Too bad that "worse" teams overshadowed them in time.

EDIT: here some tidbits from the "Wilt: Larger Than Life" book about the 1971 Bucks

"The healthy, hungry Bucks had dominated the regular season, once winning 20 games en bloc and going 66-16. They were led by scoring and rebounding champ, MVP and defensive anchor KAJ, paired w/a an aging, but brillant Oscar, equipped with solid forwards (Dandridge, Greg Smith) and guards (McGlockin, Luke Allen) and a 6MOY candidate with veteran scorer/rebounder Bob Boozer. Larry Costello was a no nonsense coach who made them a fundamentally sound and defensively tough team. That team had almost no weaknesses."

"KAJ vs Wilt comparisons: G1 32p-22p, G2 22-26, G3 20-24, G4 31-15, G5 n/a but Wilt was the only good Lakers that day. In Game 4, KAJ may have been the only player ever (!) who outscored *AND* outrebounded a healthy Wilt."
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.

Return to Player Comparisons