Starting a franchise: Kobe or David Robinson

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

Re: Starting a franchise: Kobe or David Robinson 

Post#61 » by bastillon » Wed Jul 8, 2009 10:10 pm

Lakers05 wrote:Robinson didn't make the Finals as the main option because he didn't have a post game. And that gets exposed in the postseason when defenses get a lot tougher. Assuming equal health and longevity though, I'd take Robinson, just because his defense was too good. In other words, I'd take Robinson's peak over Kobe's, but Kobe's longevity over Robinson's. Since longevity allows you more time to obtain players(while the difference between their peaks is small), I'd take Kobe easily.

agree

Also Kobe is much better leader. He wouldn't ever let Dennis Rodman do what he did in G2 of the 95 WCF.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#62 » by LakerFanMan » Wed Jul 8, 2009 10:22 pm

First of all, DRob didn't fail to make the finals because he didn't have a post game, he couldn't lead a team, etc... He didn't make the finals because he had mostly subpar teams around him and because he played in an extremely tough era. I also don't see how DRob "disappeared" in the playoffs, he put up 18/10 2.5bpg in the playoffs. Most of the dip in his numbers is due to the fact that most of his playoff games took place in the later years of his career. I also disagree with the longevity argument. Remember, DRob got drafted when he was 24, Kobe got drafted when he was 18. Thus far, they both have had about the same amount of star seasons, even though DRob got drafted 6 years later then Kobe.

The point is that, regardless of which one you take, it's close.
canguy20m
Assistant Coach
And1: 442

Post#63 » by canguy20m » Thu Jul 9, 2009 2:56 am

Kobe at 31 might still be the best player in the league. hasn't dropped off much at all.
Robinson slowed down fast around that age.
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant

Post#64 » by LakerFanMan » Thu Jul 9, 2009 3:04 am

At 31, DRob put up 25/12 3bpg.
canguy20m
Assistant Coach
And1: 442

Post#65 » by canguy20m » Thu Jul 9, 2009 3:18 am

LakerFanMan wrote:At 31, DRob put up 25/12 3bpg.

he might have been 29 or 30 that year. after that his stats went down a lot.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#66 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Jul 9, 2009 5:42 am

good question
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,978

Post#67 » by Optms » Thu Jul 9, 2009 7:31 am

Why is this even a question?

You're comparing a number 1 option future HOF who's just one a Championship as the leader of that team to a guy who never won any rings as as the leader to his own team? (Please Use More Appropriate Word). You'd think you would ask for "Kobe or Duncan to start your team with." Much more sense in that.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#68 » by rrravenred » Thu Jul 9, 2009 7:41 am

Optms wrote:Why is this even a question?

You're comparing a number 1 option future HOF who's just one a Championship as the leader of a stacked, Phil-Jackson coached team to a guy who won the same number of MVPs, one fewer scoring titles in a less guard-friendly league and oh, a DPOY and never won any rings , which had nothing to do with Jordan or Hakeem putting up GOAT-level seasons at all as the leader to his own team? (Please Use More Appropriate Word). You'd think you would ask for "Kobe or Duncan to start your team with." Much more sense in that.

Fixed.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#69 » by semi-sentient » Thu Jul 9, 2009 1:11 pm

Excuses.

The purpose of any franchise should be to win a championship, not to have their star player getting MVP and DPOY awards.

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even mention Michael Jordan. Robinson didn't even take his team to the Finals, so what does he have to do with anything? The Spurs lost 4 times with homecourt advantage in the 90's, and yet we're going to blame his lack of success on playing in a dominant era (or whatever other garbage excuse is convenient)? Please.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by LakerFanMan » Thu Jul 9, 2009 2:17 pm

semi-sentient wrote:Excuses.

The purpose of any franchise should be to win a championship, not to have their star player getting MVP and DPOY awards.

This is getting ridiculous. I can't believe anyone in their right mind would even mention Michael Jordan. Robinson didn't even take his team to the Finals, so what does he have to do with anything? The Spurs lost 4 times with homecourt advantage in the 90's, and yet we're going to blame his lack of success on playing in a dominant era (or whatever other garbage excuse is convenient)? Please.

They're only legit excuses if they're being used to defend Kobe. For DRob, they're garbage.
rrravenred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 547
Location: Pulling at the loose threads of arguments since 2006

Post#71 » by rrravenred » Thu Jul 9, 2009 3:11 pm

Jordan was the rock that a lot of good careers in the 90s foundered on. Had he not retired the first time, Hakeem might now be ranked all time in the late teens ;)

Oh sure, and you can EASILY pick which players are going to win championships.

It's easy and you only have to look at the player, not consider any external factors over which the player has no control. Forget all about that stuff about needing a high calibre team, a good front office, a good coach and a slice of luck (or, alternately, Ladies and Gentlemen, YOUR Memphis Grizzlies / Minnesota Timberwolves!)

On one level, championships are rubbish in judging the quality of a player, because there's the tendency to label someone as having a greater impact retrospectively than their actual performance warranted and to ignore any other factors that might have influenced the final result. This year, Kobe had a good Finals series. Not, for mine, a performance for the ages, but a clearly excellent performance that led his team (though the quality of the Magic backcourt defenders... sheesh!).

But Pau also got 18 and 9 on over 60% from the field with nearly two additional blocks. Dunno about you, but that's a pretty impactful performance on the final result too as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't detract from Kobe's performance during the finals, but certainly contextualises SOME of the other reasons the Lakers went 4-1.

I've never said that Kobe wasn't a reasonable choice in my original post, and I stand by that. But I'd still choose DRob if he's the first selection for my franchise.
ElGee wrote:You, my friend, have shoved those words into my mouth, which is OK because I'm hungry.

Got fallacy?
LebronsCavs
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#72 » by LebronsCavs » Thu Jul 9, 2009 3:59 pm

rrravenred wrote:

You're comparing a number 1 option future HOF who's just one a Championship as the leader of a stacked, Phil-Jackson coached team to a guy who won the same number of MVPs, one fewer scoring titles in a less guard-friendly league and oh, a DPOY and never won any rings , which had nothing to do with Jordan or Hakeem putting up GOAT-level seasons at all as the leader to his own team? (Please Use More Appropriate Word). You'd think you would ask for "Kobe or Duncan to start your team with." Much more sense in that.

Fixed.

:rofl: So True.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,321

Post#73 » by JordansBulls » Thu Jul 9, 2009 4:39 pm

Great Post!!

No one can give excuses about not having a good team when they are losing series with HCA.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Straightwitdaroc
Banned User

Post#74 » by Straightwitdaroc » Thu Jul 9, 2009 5:04 pm

rrravenred wrote:

Fixed.

The excuses to discredit Kobe's acheivements are becoming less and less persuasive. I know it hurts that gone are the days where you could simply say "Kobe hasn't won without Shaq." The fact of the matter is, Gasol was an All NBA 3rd team player. Outside of Gasol, the Lakers had no all stars. Howard played with two other all stars - Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis. Truth be told, Hedo was playing like an all star.

I mean, you look at Bryant's supporting cast and it isn't really all that great.

Fisher - He is a smart and tough player, but his old age and loss of shooting touch have made his defeciencies outweigh his positives in the vast majority of games in which he plays.

Ariza - Trevor Ariza was a player that could not even get into a rotation, much less start before he played with the Lakers. Trevor's evolution as a player can be directly traced to Kobe's ability as a leader (giving Ariza his shooting bible and workout plan) and Kobe's ability to create open looks for Trevor. Ariza is a good defender, but he's not anywhere near an All NBA level defender and while he made timely plays in the playoffs, his production both in the regular season and the playoffs was no more than a role player.

Pau Gasol - Pau Gasol is legit. Great passer from the post. When he faces up, he can shoot the jumper. He has great touch around the basket. His pick and roll defense is suspect and his ability to guard bigger players makes him a pretty significant defensive liability. A huge upgrade from Kwame Brown and a legit all star, but Gasol wasn't even considered a top 25 player before he got to the Lakers and now he's with Kobe and he's considered by some to be top 10. Kobe has been considered a top 3 player in the league for 6 or 7 years now.

Andrew Bynum - Bynum's production in relation to his potential are disappointing. He's not anywhere near being a dominant center. He's got great shot blocking ability, but an inability to avoid fouls. He has great post moves, but his real game is in his explosiveness. While we have seen glimpses of what Bynum could be one day, injuries have prevented him from being consistent. Bynum was injured half the season and his play in the playoffs can be fairly described as "mediocre at best." His PER and raw production both suggest this.

Jordan Farmar - You're kidding right? Laker fans everywhere are trying to find ways to ship him out with Adam Morrison. This is despite the fact that Farmar went to UCLA. His inability to defend combined with his ability to seeming make an infinite number of mistakes in a three minute stretch infuriates fans.

Sasha Vujacic - You do mean the guy who didn't score a point in the finals?

Lamar Odom - Great versatile player. An asset coming off the bench and a bonafide starter. He rebounds, he scores and facilitates. Still, his inconsistency is apparent and his average game is comparable to a slightly above average player at his position. Also note that although he comes off the bench, he still plays starter minutes.

Josh Powell - Um....I love Josh's energy.

D.J. Mbenga - Um...he's been through alot.

Shannon Brown - Um...

So in reality, the team is not that stacked at all. It certainly isn't anymore stacked than the Celtics or the Magic or the Nuggets or the Jazz or a healthy Houston. Those are all better teams top to bottom, but the reality is Kobe is such a dominant player that when you give him just those pieces above it LOOKS like it is unfair. That's how good kobe is.
kflo
Sophomore

Post#75 » by kflo » Thu Jul 9, 2009 5:40 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

Great Post!!

No one can give excuses about not having a good team when they are losing series with HCA.

which of course says little about the quality of his teammates, or the quality of the team he's facing.
kflo
Sophomore

Post#76 » by kflo » Thu Jul 9, 2009 5:45 pm

is there anyone willing to argue that with the supporting cast robinson had, he SHOULD have been winning titles? unless someone's willing to significantly overrate elliott, there's just little reason to think anyone was winning with that team.
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#77 » by Malinhion » Thu Jul 9, 2009 5:46 pm

Why is it that Gasol's success (which is clearly a result of his perfect fit with the triangle) is attributed to Kobe's "leadership," and Bynum's failure to succeed has nothing to do with Kobe's lack of "leadership" (ship his ass out)?
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#78 » by Malinhion » Thu Jul 9, 2009 5:47 pm

JordansBulls wrote:

Great Post!!

Unless they got homecourt advantage in spite of their teammates. Really, just drop this argument already. You normally have legitimate analysis and you're turning yourself into a punchline.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#79 » by microfib4thewin » Thu Jul 9, 2009 6:01 pm

rrravenred wrote:Jordan was the rock that a lot of good careers in the 90s foundered on. Had he not retired the first time, Hakeem might now be ranked all time in the late teens ;)

But this thread isn't about choosing between Kobe and Hakeem, it's between Kobe and DRob.

rrravenred wrote:Oh sure, and you can EASILY pick which players are going to win championships.

Robinson has won once as the second fiddle. Kobe did that twice. You can argue if his '99 playoff performance was just as great as Kobe in either 01 or 02, but I doubt you will find many supporters. The young Kobe was arguably one of the best second option on a championship team, whereas Robinson was an allstar but no longer a top 10 player when he won his first ring, much less top 10 of all-time as the sidekick.

rrravenred wrote:It's easy and you only have to look at the player, not consider any external factors over which the player has no control. Forget all about that stuff about needing a high calibre team, a good front office, a good coach and a slice of luck (or, alternately, Ladies and Gentlemen, YOUR Memphis Grizzlies / Minnesota Timberwolves!)

The Spurs lost 4 times with HCA. Even if you don't want to count the two times they lost to the Jazz since they're just as good of a team it's hard to say the same for the 95 Rockets or the 91 Warriors. I didn't follow basketball in 91, but 95 was certainly a huge upset for the Rockets who eventually won the title as the 6th seed, which is still the lowest seeding for a title team. Looking at what the Warriors had, it looks like it's just as big of an upset unless someone can clarify the situation.

rrravenred wrote:But Pau also got 18 and 9 on over 60% from the field with nearly two additional blocks. Dunno about you, but that's a pretty impactful performance on the final result too as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't detract from Kobe's performance during the finals, but certainly contextualises SOME of the other reasons the Lakers went 4-1.

Pau can shoot 60% because most of the attention was on stopping Kobe. I hope you are not implying he can shoot nearly as good if Kobe is absent and he had to create for the whole team on every possession. He has his fair share of struggles in the earlier rounds because he can't muscle anyone to break the defense down. Playing with finesse only gets you so far in the playoffs when the refs are more likely to let the players go at it, and Gasol is clearly affected by this from his poor FT shooting.

If you have to use Pau as an excuse to downplay Kobe's performance, then I don't think you have any rabbit left in your hat. Pippen, Kareem/Magic, Robinson, Kobe, Parker, Shaq were all better players when they won their rings as the second best man on the team.

There are legit arguments for Robinson, but you are off the mark on that.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,321

Post#80 » by JordansBulls » Thu Jul 9, 2009 6:47 pm

Malinhion wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:

Great Post!!

Unless they got homecourt advantage in spite of their teammates. Really, just drop this argument already. You normally have legitimate analysis and you're turning yourself into a punchline.

So if he got it in spite of his teammates then that should mean that he should win in spite of them.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons