Is Pau Gasol one of the NBA's top ten players?

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Is Pau Gasol one of the NBA's top ten players?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 42

The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Re: Is Pau Gasol one of the NBA's top ten players? 

Post#21 » by The Main Event » Thu Sep 3, 2009 3:31 pm

shobe_81 wrote:
Hilltop wrote:Anyone who thinks he is should rank their Top 10. I'm curious to see what comes out.

1. Lebron James
2. Dwayne Wade

3. Dwight Howard
4. Pau Gasol
5. Chris Paul
6. Kobe Bryant
7. Kevin Garnett
8. Dirk Nowitzki
9. Deron Williams
10. Tim Duncan

:o
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#22 » by JordansBulls » Thu Sep 3, 2009 3:40 pm

ImmortalD24 wrote:Huh? Shawn Marion has had multiple seasons where he was near 14 winshares and in 2006 he had a 15 winshare season. I don't think you'd argue with him being a top 10 player, would you?

Billups is far more accomplished than Gasol btw.. he's had 4 ASG appearances compared to Gasol's 2, 2 All-NBA 3rd team selections and 1 All-NBA 2nd team selections compared to Gasol's ONE 3rd team selection in his entire 9 year career... Has Gasol even been top 10 in MVP voting? Well Billlups had been top 6 twice.

Gasol couldn't even get a single playoff win as the main man yet you think he's a top 10 player in the league? Your arguments for Gasol is beyond laughable.

Billups got hyped up after he won the title and outplayed Kobe in the finals. That is why he got hyped up. Gasol got hyped once he won that gold medal in FIBA.

Oh yeah and Gasol should have easily been top 5 in MVP voting last year for the fact he led his team in win shares with over a 14.4 total.
Regarding Marion it could be said that he was top 10 in 2006 as their was no Amare playing that year.

Yeah and Kobe couldn't get out the first round even though he had Phil Jackson as coach, but that didn't stop people from saying he was the best in the league did it? Funny how that works.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Post#23 » by shobe_81 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 3:42 pm

Are u employed by Jordan? Seriously?
bigrussia
Senior
And1: 2

Post#24 » by bigrussia » Thu Sep 3, 2009 3:51 pm

basing this on last year, obviously:

Lebron
Wade
Kobe
Paul
Howard
Duncan
Dirk
Roy

i think you have those 8 ahead of everyone else.

then you have Melo (injury), Garnett (injury, and not as good as his robbed mvp year), Gasol, Deron Williams, Chris Bosh, which brings it up to 13.
i would rank this group like this:
Garnett, Gasol, Willaims, Melo, Bosh, but i don't really have any problems w/ changing these rankings seeing as **** happnened to all these players. the only thing i would see as clear is bosh near the back end.......
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#25 » by Benedict_Boozer » Thu Sep 3, 2009 4:14 pm

You could make an argument for it. He is more in the grouping of "top 15" than he is clearly in the top 10. But his combination of skills (at his size) is unique, and he can effectively play Center.

There aren't many PF's I'd take ahead of him.
Lakers05
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#26 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:10 pm

He's at the very edge, in the Melo, Bosh and Roy group. Since they are roughly equal statistically, the ring decides, so yes, you can say he's a top 10 player.
Lakers05
Banned User

Post#27 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:14 pm

The Main Event wrote:No. He's a second tier PF, how can he be ranked within the top 10 in the league? There have been heated debates and conversations in comparison threads comparing and contrasting him to Bosh, who surely isn't a top 10 player in the league. I'd have him in my top 15.

Melo is a 2nd tier SF, Roy is a 2nd tier SG, how can they be in the top 10? Gasol actually beats both in EFF, and his impact in the win/loss column is very high, clearly better than Melo, so I'd say he's a definite top 10 player.
Dat Pass
Assistant Coach
And1: 46

Post#28 » by Dat Pass » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:27 pm

Lakers05 wrote:
The Main Event wrote:No. He's a second tier PF, how can he be ranked within the top 10 in the league? There have been heated debates and conversations in comparison threads comparing and contrasting him to Bosh, who surely isn't a top 10 player in the league. I'd have him in my top 15.

Melo is a 2nd tier SF, Roy is a 2nd tier SG, how can they be in the top 10? Gasol actually beats both in EFF, and his impact in the win/loss column is very high, clearly better than Melo, so I'd say he's a definite top 10 player.

Building a team just to win it this season.. What are your top 15 guys to build around?
Lakers05
Banned User

Post#29 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:32 pm

What do you mean by that? You can't win it with just one player
Dat Pass
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by Dat Pass » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:33 pm

Lakers05 wrote:What do you mean by that? You can't win it with just one player

Obviously.. I mean what players would you most want to build around.
Lakers05
Banned User

Post#31 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:39 pm

Whatever you mean, I would for sure take him ahead of Carmelo, easily one of the most overrated players in the league. The guy played with Marcus Camby, Nene and AI and never managed to get out of the 1st round. Only when he was paired with Chauncey, who made all the big shots, did he manage to do so.

Roy is a little tougher because he seems to have a winner's mentality, and his shot-creating ability is pretty good(only reason he can be compared to Gasol, because statistically, Gasol beats him). However, in the end, I'll probably take Gasol because he's a big, and you don't have redundancy pairing him with another big, and obviously small.
Lakers05
Banned User

Post#32 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:42 pm

Ball Boy wrote:
Lakers05 wrote:What do you mean by that? You can't win it with just one player

Obviously.. I mean what players would you most want to build around.

After the first 8 or so, I'd go with Gasol. He can play both PF and C, so you have more flexibilities with him.
Dat Pass
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Dat Pass » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:49 pm

I would love to know people's opinions of Gasol pre-Kobe back in 05-07.

Cause either playing next to Kobe has turned Gasol into an amazing player.. Or he is being seriously overrated around here. (LOL @ Gasol over Roy) I think its pretty safe to say Gasol wasnt even considered a top 20 player back in Memphis.
bigrussia
Senior

Post#34 » by bigrussia » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:56 pm

his rating increased b/c he went to a more relevant team. he didn't get so much better on the lakers.........
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#35 » by Optms » Thu Sep 3, 2009 5:59 pm

Coming to the Lakers really showed off his skills and what he can do deep in the playoffs. He can be effective, yes. I think he's proved that this past season.
Lakers05
Banned User

Post#36 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 6:08 pm

Ball Boy wrote:I would love to know people's opinions of Gasol pre-Kobe back in 05-07.

Cause either playing next to Kobe has turned Gasol into an amazing player.. Or he is being seriously overrated around here. (LOL @ Gasol over Roy) I think its pretty safe to say Gasol wasnt even considered a top 20 player back in Memphis.

He got better because he worked a lot harder(he rarely used his left-hand when in Memphis), not anything to do with Kobe.

Your argument could easily apply to Kobe as well. If Kobe was drafted by Charlotte, he'd be just a rich man version of AI.
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Post#37 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 6:21 pm

Ball Boy wrote:Building a team just to win it this season.. What are your top 15 guys to build around?

1. James
2. Kobe
3. Wade
4. Howard
5. Duncan
6. Paul
7. Garnett
8. Dirk
9. Roy
10. Williams
11. Melo
12. Gasol
13. Bosh
14. Parker
15. Durant
Go Raps!!
Lakers05
Banned User

Post#38 » by Lakers05 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 6:23 pm

The best way to see Gasol's value is this: if your team could trade for one player, among Gasol, Roy and Carmelo, who would you take? You will see that just about every team could use a Pau Gasol, followed by Roy, then Carmelo. In addition, in every cases, you will see that Gasol complements your team better than the other two. Let's take the Jazz, for example, which trio gives you the best chance at a championship: Roy/Williams/Boozer,' Gasol/Williams/Boozer, or Carmelo/Williams/Boozer, you can see that in Roy and Camelo's case, you still need a shotblocker. Gasol, Boozer, and Williams, on the other hand, have enough defense to win.

Similarly, take the Spurs, Heat, Celtics, Magic, Cavs, or just about any team, and you will see that Gasol complements them the most. Roy would not complement the Heat and Celtics as much as Gasol does, Carmelo would not complement the Cavs, Magic and Spurs as well as Gasol.

In fact, because of this versatility, I'd probably take Gasol over Williams(who the Hornets don't need) or Yao(who the Magic don't need) even. I'd say Kobe was very blessed to have someone like Gasol.
Wade3Iverson
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Wade3Iverson » Thu Sep 3, 2009 6:29 pm

He's in the 11-14 range for me.
The best engine in the world is the vagina -- started with one finger, self-lubricating, takes any size piston and changes it's own oil every month. Pitty it's so temperamental
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#40 » by JordansBulls » Thu Sep 3, 2009 6:36 pm

Ball Boy wrote:I would love to know people's opinions of Gasol pre-Kobe back in 05-07.

The same can be said about Kobe. Sure he was good back in 2000, but a lot of it had to do with him playing for the Lakers a well known and always winning organization. Playing in a market that was not known for winning would change things quite a bit.

Regarding Gasol, he really didn't start to get pub until 2006 when he got that Gold Medal in FIBA. That's when people really knew how good he was.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan

Return to Player Comparisons