Duncan/Garnett
Shaq
Justice
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Re: old school vs new school 

Post#2 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Sun Oct 4, 2009 3:38 am

Two eras vs one era. which do you think is gonna win?
Collie
Bench Warmer
And1: 392

Post#3 » by Collie » Sun Oct 4, 2009 10:24 am

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Two eras vs one era. which do you think is gonna win?

Enlighten me, which of the players of the two teams did not play each other? Are you saying primes? Because prime Shaq sure didn't play at the same time as prime Paul, and you can argue prime KG and Duncan didn't as well.
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#4 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Sun Oct 4, 2009 2:20 pm

Collie wrote:

Enlighten me,.

Learn the game yourself kid.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#5 » by bringinhinkie » Sun Oct 4, 2009 4:16 pm

magic_man9 wrote:Magic
Jordan/Drexler
Bird
Malone
KAJ/Hakeem

vs

Kobe/Paul
Wade
Lebron
Duncan/Garnett
Shaq

well idk how you came up with the lineups.. KAJ rookie year was 69-70 while you got him in the lineup with some guys that retired closer to the year 2000 and then on the "new school" team you have shaq who started 92-93 but w/e for the sake of the thread, lineup to lineup its the "old school" easily.. i mean they are superior at every position except the 4 and also why is kobe at the 1 and where is kidd? prime shaq also was before cp3, wade, bron.. same with prime KAJ before a number of the guys on his team.. your eras are very sketchy.. id go with something more like starting at 1980-1994 vs 1995-current and make it look like this(even though some guys obviously played in both at a very high level):

magic/isiah
jordan/drex/reggie,etc
bird/pippen/worthy,etc
malone/barkley
hakeem/moses/ewing/etc

kidd/payton/cp3,etc
kobe/wade
bron/hill
duncan/kg
shaq/robinson (though his peak really was moreso before 95 but really there is no one else to put with shaq unless you wanna put duncan at the 5..)

either way it is still the oldschool.. magic, jordan, bird, etc that's off the charts stacked
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#6 » by INKtastic » Sun Oct 4, 2009 4:48 pm

Collie wrote:

Enlighten me, which of the players of the two teams did not play each other? Are you saying primes? Because prime Shaq sure didn't play at the same time as prime Paul, and you can argue prime KG and Duncan didn't as well.

he's saying each player at their peak - which is hard to do since we probably haven't seen the peak of LeBron/Paul/Wade yet.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#7 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Sun Oct 4, 2009 6:12 pm

New school.

I might get flamed for saying this but old school players are overrated IMO.

They just have the "legend" persona.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#8 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Oct 4, 2009 8:32 pm

Nicky Nix Nook wrote:New school.

The better answer would've been to say, "I haven't saw many of those guys play at their peak so I really can't assess that".

But when you say they're overrated............yeah you set yourself up for ridicule big time.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,709

Post#9 » by penbeast0 » Sun Oct 4, 2009 9:15 pm

Odd thing is that, stylistically, Paul is more "old school" than Magic, and Duncan practically defines the term. Even Shaq is pretty much a throwback. Only the do-it-all wings are "new school" and that's true for BOTH teams.

Center
Old school -- Low post-playing centers who rebound and block shots
New School -- outside shooting European style bigs

Old School -- physical brusing PF's who box out and do the dirty work, often without great stats
New School -- ballhandling do it all players who play like 6'10 guards

Old School -- Move without the ball shooter/slasher SFs who love the corner three (even when it was worth 2)
New School -- ballhandling point forwards who pass like a PG

Old School -- Catch and shoot shooting guards with good enough handles to play the point
New School -- G/F dunk machines with occasional 3 point range and SG size

Old School -- Playmaking PGs who create offense for their teammates with drive and dish moves
New School -- "Scoring points" who shoot 3's but leave the ball in the hands of their wings once it comes upcourt.

NOW pick us teams of players that fit those descriptions and play today and we will see old school v. new school without the silly "older players are overrated" comments

My teams:

Old School
C Tim Duncan
PF Ben Wallace
SF Rashard Lewis
SG Jason Terry
PG Chris Paul

New School
C Mehmet Okur
PF Dirk Nowitski
SF LeBron James
SG Jamal Crawford
PG Randy Foye

Talent level and accolades are (very) roughly equal -- which group plays better as a team?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Mon Oct 5, 2009 1:20 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Nicky Nix Nook wrote:New school.

The better answer would've been to say, "I haven't saw many of those guys play at their peak so I really can't assess that".

But when you say they're overrated............yeah you set yourself up for ridicule big time.

Yes of course I have seen more "new school" games but I have seen A LOT of old school games. I have tapes (yes VHS) ESPN Classic, hell I have even taken a class where we would watch tons of games from 70's-90's. The old school players were the pioneers but I think that benefits modern day players. The old school invented it but the new school is perfecting it. The game is also becoming more and more athletic (however its also getting softer). I just don't like how old school players are treated like gods on these boards. I don't think a lot of very good players in the old days would be as good in the league today.

Michael Jordan however is literally in my opinion the best player of all time without question, so I don't consider him overrated.
penbeast0
And1: 8,709

Post#11 » by penbeast0 » Mon Oct 5, 2009 1:44 am

And the players that competed with Jordan? Badly overrated relative to their numbers while Jordan's numbers are reasonable? Or by old school do you mean that life started with Jordan and everyone before him is overrated?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Mon Oct 5, 2009 1:55 am

penbeast0 wrote:And the players that competed with Jordan? Badly overrated relative to their numbers while Jordan's numbers are reasonable? Or by old school do you mean that life started with Jordan and everyone before him is overrated?

I don't really consider 90's Jordan old school. I just didn't to clump him in with people I believe to be a little overrated.

Again I don't think these guys would be scrubs, I just don't think they'd all be superstars.
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#13 » by ReaLiez » Mon Oct 5, 2009 2:22 am

this isn't comparing team conservative vs team swag, its talking about level of competition. If these two teams were to have to a dream match - up full court game who would win. A lot of factors play in, such as which team has better play making ability. Can the defense of Duncan and Garnett stop Malone and Hakeem and can Shaq score with ease agianst KAJ and box him out using his weight.

Kobe Paul Wade vs Magic Jordan Drexler
quickness edge to kobe paul wade, as well as overall ball handling ability. the edge is to the old school in terms of offensive output that includes total assists and buckets made.

Bird vs LBJ
LBJ because hes stronger and would take advantage of Birds defense. IMO LBJ is a better offensive player due to the style he brings.

Duncan Garnett Shaq vs KAJ Hakeem Malone
I think Shaq could defend KAJ well by pushing him away from the key as much as possible and posting him up deep on offense. Hakeem and Malone are better than Duncan Garnett in both offense and defense but its close/

all in all I think its a close game and since the competition is so high it speaks volumes about where the NBA stands and where its headed as a competitive sport
Justice
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#14 » by Volcano » Mon Oct 5, 2009 2:29 am

I thought he meant old school as in players who are retired. Anyways, I'd go with old school..higher IQ, better team instinct..KG/Duncan are really good in that department as well
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#15 » by ReaLiez » Mon Oct 5, 2009 2:35 am

well that to.
Justice

Return to Player Comparisons