ImageImage

Is it TRADE time?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Is it TRADE time? 

Post#1 » by tbhawksfan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:36 am

WIth the trade deadline in six weeks things will begin to heat up on the trade front.

Should the Hawks get involved in some deals? I think the need to tweak or balance the roster has been much discussed (PG/C). We have some very attractive pieces, they are young, talented, already pretty experienced for their ages and they all still have room to grow as players (potential).

So with our very strong rotation of SG/SF/PF's and weaknesses at PG/C and contract situations favorable to making moves, it would seem a perfect time for a trade.

There could be a couple of reasons that the Hawks don't significantly change their roster though. The ownership fiasco and the fact that most of the players that we might need to trade to get what we need are still very young and inexperienced. I'm talking playoffs. Would a team competing for a spot this year make a major trade for an inexperienced player that could struggle in the big-time? Same logic might apply from our perspective; do we make a big trade now to get a BIG C at the risk of shifting two or three players in the line up?

So, if a trade happens soon, it would probably be against a losing team going into rebuilding.

BK and Woody are probably not wanting to disrupt the first PO run in many years either.

I think that the odds are that we wait until the summer to make the trade that this team needs. Smoove and Chil will both be in perfect S&T situations and we have about five contracts coming off (Lo, Lue, AJ, Mario, Salim, Solo?).

Maybe BK and Woody really think Smoove and Horford can do it at the 4/5. Seems like it leaves us a bit light in the long run though. How far off is Acie. What will he bring to the table by early next season? Are there any players that can shoot on our team?

It should be a very active summer. In the meantime we could really use some tweaking. Could it be that the best tweak of all would be to get a coach that could better exploit the talent of his roster?
atlsun
Senior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by atlsun » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:44 am

marvin, chill, shelden, zaza, lo-wright for

michael redd, michael ruffin

I think this trade could happen if we offered it.

horford
jsvoove
joe
redd
law

thats a playoff team unlike the current team we have.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by tbhawksfan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:51 am

atlsun wrote:marvin, chill, shelden, zaza, lo-wright for

michael redd, michael ruffin

I think this trade could happen if we offered it.

horford
jsvoove
joe
redd
law

thats a playoff team unlike the current team we have.

I think you might want to think this one over

The most I'd offer for Redd is Chil / Shelden / Lue exp.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#4 » by killbuckner » Wed Jan 9, 2008 12:49 pm

TB- you can't get Redd for backups. You are aware that Redd has been better than JJ this season right?

The biggest question that the Hawks need to answer is whether they want to make a run in FA this offseason. The Hawks have the ability to clear max caproom if they trade Childress and Zaza for an expiring plus a smaller contract of a decent player (though maybe not as good as Chil). The thing is that I don't see where they spend their money this offseason even with max room. I don't think there is any chance that toronto lets calderon walk with TJ's injury hanging over them. Okafor is pretty perfect but I think he would be matched no matter what. Biedrins could be interesting with the Warriors up against the luxury tax, but the Warriors just don't have any other bigmen- I don't think they can get him walk. Arenas? I don't think he would come to atlanta.

When it comes down to it I simply don't know how the Hawks are going to upgrade the PG position except through trade. And at this point if Acie comes through to fill that role it would be a bonus- it simply cannot be counted on. He has a PER of 7 and the team has struggled with him on the floor, even when the Hawks pick and choose his spots. Not that he can't develop or anything like that, just that the Hawks can't COUNT on it happening. In the end I think that the Hawks will probably end up paying Josh Smith a lot of money, hoping to resign Childress to a reasonable contract since few other teams have caproom, and using some of the MLE on a guy like Duhon.

As far as this season goes, I would still like for them to trade for Andre Miller since I don't see them making a run at anyone big in FA. The sixers have motivation to clear caproom and its just a nice opportunity for the Hawks to sweep up a useful player for less than he is worth. But as a backup plan I think that Cassell could be had cheap- Lue, Lo, Salim, and a second or something like that. Really for that price I think the hawks would have to do it.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by tbhawksfan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:13 pm

You make it sound as if I think I can. I wasn't advocating the trade, just rejecting an above trade.

I basically think about the same as you, though I see a little more opportunity for a sign & trade this summer.

I absolutely don't think we should shed payroll. We should try to package it all into a top tier BIG/PG.

Chil/Salim/Zaza/Lo/AJ/Lue/Shelden. Throw all our picks into the deal too.

Imagine if we can could get Beans/Ellis for JJ/Shelden

Then we make a run at Redd with Chil/Zaza/Salim/expirings/picks
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#6 » by killbuckner » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:46 pm

tbhawksfan wrote:Then we make a run at Redd with Chil/Zaza/Salim/expirings/picks

And you wonder why I make it sounds like you think that would be close to enough to get Redd. Seriously you can't get Redd for backups.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,582

Post#7 » by dms269 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:37 pm

atlsun wrote:thats a playoff team unlike the current team we have.

Is it? I don't think it is.

AJ/Law/Lue (same problem we have right now)
redd/salim
JJ/???
Smith/solomon
Horford/solomon

The team would have no depth at all. We still have the pg problem we have now. If one of the other 4 starters gets hurt we are screwed.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Joe Kleazy
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#8 » by Joe Kleazy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:39 pm

tbhawksfan wrote:You make it sound as if I think I can. I wasn't advocating the trade, just rejecting an above trade.

I basically think about the same as you, though I see a little more opportunity for a sign & trade this summer.

I absolutely don't think we should shed payroll. We should try to package it all into a top tier BIG/PG.

Chil/Salim/Zaza/Lo/AJ/Lue/Shelden. Throw all our picks into the deal too.

Imagine if we can could get Beans/Ellis for JJ/Shelden

Then we make a run at Redd with Chil/Zaza/Salim/expirings/picks

Why would you do any trade where you get younger than you already are and trade your BEST PLAYER. :banghead:

You have a chance to improve in the Leastern conference and you work backwards. A bad start to a season and now your unappreciative of what JJ has done for your team? Alot of people seem to think this is college basketball where you just continue to replace young talent with more young talent and think your gonna do well.

If anything you need to find a way to add Beans to JJ, Horford and one of either Marvin or Josh. Its no secret that eventually a team with so many young improving players will face a problem with paying all that talent.

You should have a plan in place that dosen't just stockpile big names that dont fit towards a goal. Tweaking your suggestion you can keep all the same defensive qualities bringing in Beans by swapping him with Josh giving your self a TRUE center, keeping your second offensive weapon in Marvin, while still keeping horford at his true position, along with being able to resign Chill for a reasonable contract.

Josh or Marvin plus fillers need to be your bait because of their youth and potential. Josh may have more abiltity to fetch a true center at this time and I doubt with marvin being a #1 pick in the chris paul draft he will be moved anyway. Both Josh and Beans are up for contracts after this season and financially Beans will not command more than Josh. Now it comes down to are some more facinated by the player who's name and style of play may be sexier or the guy who wont have as many highlights but will help to solidify the rest of the roster into their own correct roles while still anchoring the defense for years.

The warrior's management is not run very well and dangling Josh may get you more than beans. Hell try raping another team for once in a trade, it feels great.

This by no means is to discredit or downplay Josh Smith's game at all, its just that the pieces fit better. Between Josh, Marvin,and Horford you have three players that will have a hard time fully developing due to playing out of position, and competing for money by the progressing of thier games. With one gone and a true center in place it allows these guys to know their role and be able to play to their full abilitity. They are still young so mentally it will be easier to play knowing what direction they are headed instead of looking over their shoulder to see if the other is surpassing them. ALso you dont lose much youth in this trade.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#9 » by evildallas » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:30 pm

I think it is time to think trade although the team might sneak into the playoffs without it. The trade could go two ways, possibly accomplishing both, of either adding key pieces for a run this year or dropping some salary to make us a player in free agency during the summer. A lot of the posters here must be thinking the same thing as the potential trades to evaluate have gone up a lot lately.

I think there have been several good thoughts floated:
the LA Clippers deal (acquire Maggette and Cassell for a run this year)
the Seattle deal (change are bench bigs for Kurt Thomas)

some of other ideas I'm not so sure about:
the Milwaukee idea (taking on Redd)
the Golden St idea (won't happen)
the Portland idea (won't happen)
the Memphis idea (personally don't think it works for us)

I do know it is hard to get a deal done in the NBA. Most GMs seem so afraid of a deal backfiring that they do nothing instead.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
atlsun
Senior

Post#10 » by atlsun » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:32 pm

tbhawksfan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think you might want to think this one over

The most I'd offer for Redd is Chil / Shelden / Lue exp.

you cant trade role players for an allstar + my trade works on the cap.
atlsun
Senior

Post#11 » by atlsun » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:37 pm

[quote="uga_dawgs24"][/quote]

I am just sick of being on the roller coster ride that is called the hawks, sick of losing.

Just want a legit chance into the playoffs.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by tbhawksfan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:42 pm

Yeah, but with our situation I say propose things to teams and see if anyone bites.

If MIL is rebuilding, maybe we could get Mo for Chil and expirings/picks.

Is there a C out there that we could shake loose?

Our team really needs a trade. PG/C need improvement and we have too much talent at SG/SF/PF. BK needs to be all over it and deal from a position of strength. If we move one of Marvin/Smoove/Horford and Chil or Shelden that should shake loose some major NBA talent.
mmballa23
Ballboy

Post#13 » by mmballa23 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:14 am

What would ATL give up for Andre Miller and or Sam Dalembart?
atlsun
Senior

Post#14 » by atlsun » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:06 am

mmballa23 wrote:What would ATL give up for Andre Miller and or Sam Dalembart?

how about this

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

Return to Atlanta Hawks