Hawks falling short on All-Star votes

Moderators: dms269, HMFFL, Jamaaliver

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,777

Hawks falling short on All-Star votes 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:24 am

The final NBA All-Star voting update before starters are named on Jan. 24 was released Thursday and no Hawks are close to the top in the Eastern Conference.

Among guards, Joe Johnson is ninth with 171,500 votes. Dwayne Wade and Jason Kidd are the top two vote getters.

Among forwards, Josh Smith is 10th with 163,384. Kevin Garnett and LeBron James are the top two vote getters.

At center, ZaZa Pachulia is ninth with 66,705 votes. Dwight Howard is the leading vote getter.

The All-Star Game will be held Feb. 17 in New Orleans.

Link

There is also a poll:

Which one of these Hawks is most deserving of All-Star consideration?
Joe Johnson
Josh Smith
ZaZa Pachulia
None of the above
perthwildcat
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#2 » by perthwildcat » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:49 am

Not necessarily saying a Hawk should make the All star team but voting basically comes down to a popularity contest... Not necessarily the best players....

I dont think there are any Hawks amongst the most popular players in the league..
evildallas
General Manager

Post#3 » by evildallas » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Not that they deserve to be starters, but our players have no shot at the popular vote. We've had 1 game on NBA TV all season (none on TNT or ESPN), so unless you have League Pass or live in the area you don't get to see Hawks players. I'm not sure about international coverage, I think we had a matchup against the Raptors televised nationally in Canada.

Josh Smith while steadily improving in consistency and stats hasn't had many of the breathtaking highlight dunks this year that result in Sportscenter highlights. Joe Johnson isn't a flashy player to get many clips shown either. Zaza has had an injury-filled season and hasn't played well. He was only on the ballot because of position requirements.

At least this year no one is among the vote leaders who has been injured all season. Although Shaq as #2 in C votes shows how detached from performance the voting is.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
LL Cool Scott
Starter

Post#4 » by LL Cool Scott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:36 pm

A follow up story on the lives and passions of these 66,705 Zaza Pachulia supporters soon to follow..."The Pachuliacs"
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#5 » by lethalweapon3 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:13 pm

I just wanna see Zaza get more votes than Eddy Curry, that's all.
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#6 » by JoshB914 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm sorry but I did not vote for JJ or Zaza for the AS game. I hate how it's a popularity contest and didn't want to follow suit. I don't feel either deserved it. I did vote for Smoove.
perthwildcat
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by perthwildcat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 am

Me i do vote for as many Hawks as i can...

So one of those Pachulia votes is mine :)

I think Marvin too...

I've never voted for the 'favorites'... The rest of the guys are a bunch of random guys i appreciate but no one votes for :)
smittylo
Senior
And1: 2

Post#8 » by smittylo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:16 am

i guess we hawks fans can take solice that we will finally have a player in the rookie vs sophmore game this year. If Al doesnt make it in the game id really be surprised.
follow me @smittylo

Return to Atlanta Hawks