ImageImage

Rondo signed

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Re: Rondo signed 

Post#21 » by saloonyk8 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 am

There's definitely a version where this is great signing. I'm wondering if Payton with a lower price tag would've been a better deal. We didn't overpay for Rondo a ton though, 5M is reasonable.

BTW we got a great deal on Dunn.
Commit to the process
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#22 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:07 am

saloonyk8 wrote:There's definitely a version where this is great signing. I'm wondering if Payton with a lower price tag would've been a better deal. We didn't overpay for Rondo a ton though, 5M is reasonable.

7.5 mill a year for 2 years. 15 total but ya that’s a bargain. Dunn amazing as well. Gallo a bit of an overpay and I’m kind of hoping Indy swipes Bogi, might be a blessing in the long run.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:00 am

Rondo doesn't bother me as long as he doesn't start any drama. Otherwise, he got his money, and depending on our positioning at the tradedeadline, I expect him to be moved to a true contender.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#24 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:44 am

Dunn and Rondo... wow. I think Rondo will play a V Carter role during the season. Get a little more time in the playoffs
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#25 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:55 pm

HMFFL wrote:Rondo doesn't bother me as long as he doesn't start any drama.

And *of course* that won't happen.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#26 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Can we have THIS version of Rondo? Please? Because if this is what we can have, I'll calm down. Nah, I'll do more than calm down, I'll embrace it.

https://theundefeated.com/features/lakers-rajon-rondo-talks-rajon-rondo-christmas/
vtime
Rookie
And1: 245

Post#27 » by vtime » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
saloonyk8 wrote:There's definitely a version where this is great signing. I'm wondering if Payton with a lower price tag would've been a better deal. We didn't overpay for Rondo a ton though, 5M is reasonable.

7.5 mill a year for 2 years. 15 total but ya that’s a bargain. Dunn amazing as well. Gallo a bit of an overpay and I’m kind of hoping Indy swipes Bogi, might be a blessing in the long run.

This is our last chance to spend on an impact player. Young and Collins extensions will tie up the cap through at least 2027.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#28 » by shakes0 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:45 pm

if we get the version of Rondo who is am amazing mentor for young guys I am in love with this signing.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#29 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Actually, Collins will only tie up our cap AFTER we sign him. And we don't actually have to sign him until he would get an offer sheet next off-season. His cap hold is miniscule. It's a great place to be, really. 2021 still could hold opportunity if we do not sign BogBog.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#30 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm

LeBron on Rajon Rondo’s decision to leave the Lakers for the Hawks: “Good luck my G! We don’t win it without you. Pleasure teaming up with you these last 2 years.

” Rondo’s reply: “@kingjames unbelievable experience..Appreciate you Bro

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-lebron-james-heartfelt-message-to-rajon-rondo-after-decision-to-join-hawks/amp/

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,355

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:35 pm

John Hollinger wrote:Rajon Rondo’s two-year, $15 million kinda sorta shores up a position that hurt the Hawks last season, but I thought there were better options out there for Atlanta. Rondo, for all his playoff exploits, has not been a good regular-season player in several years, and winning regular-season games is relatively important for an Atlanta team that is hoping to make the playoffs for the first time since 2017.

Additionally, the second year on a deal for a 34-year-old is, shall we say, suboptimal. The Hawks had several options at this price point, so lasering in on Rondo at the expense of, say, D.J. Augustin, Shabazz Napier, Elfrid Payton or Trey Burke seemed unusual.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran

Post#33 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
John Hollinger wrote:Rajon Rondo’s two-year, $15 million kinda sorta shores up a position that hurt the Hawks last season, but I thought there were better options out there for Atlanta. Rondo, for all his playoff exploits, has not been a good regular-season player in several years, and winning regular-season games is relatively important for an Atlanta team that is hoping to make the playoffs for the first time since 2017.

Additionally, the second year on a deal for a 34-year-old is, shall we say, suboptimal. The Hawks had several options at this price point, so lasering in on Rondo at the expense of, say, D.J. Augustin, Shabazz Napier, Elfrid Payton or Trey Burke seemed unusual.
The Athletic

What's missing in that analysis is that Schlenk appears to be persuaded he's getting the good part of Rondo, not the bad. And if he gets the good, he's essentially getting a Vince Carter-like figure, and one that is especially prepared to mentor Trae.

Then, the other part that's obviously missing in that analysis is that Schlenk/Pierce obviously are not tied down if Rando's performance is too subpar to stomach. Dunn is capable.

Just praying that, indeed, we're mainly getting Good Rondo. Pierce would seem to be the kind of coach that Rondo would bond with, but who really knows. Rondo might just consider his decisions too funky to embrace, and raise a ruckus, as he's done before.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Chris Kirchner wrote:Atlanta likes what Rondo offers in terms of leadership and the front office believes he’ll be an excellent mentor for Young. Rondo is one of the most respected players across the league and his voice matters in the locker room. He’s also a basketball genius — undoubtedly one of the smartest minds in the league. What he lacks in athleticism and skill at this stage of his career, he can make up for it with his mind. Maybe that’s all the Hawks are looking for — an adult to run the second unit who can direct the young roster where they should be.

So the question comes which version of Rondo are they ultimately getting? If they are getting the version we saw in the playoffs, it’s a great move. If they’re getting the version we saw in the regular season this past year, it’s tough seeing how he ultimately helps the Hawks reach the playoffs.
The Athletic
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#35 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 pm

I think the Hawks a hedging their bets with Rondo with Dunn available to step in if it goes haywire.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#36 » by D21 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Chris Kirchner wrote:Atlanta likes what Rondo offers in terms of leadership and the front office believes he’ll be an excellent mentor for Young. Rondo is one of the most respected players across the league and his voice matters in the locker room. He’s also a basketball genius — undoubtedly one of the smartest minds in the league. What he lacks in athleticism and skill at this stage of his career, he can make up for it with his mind. Maybe that’s all the Hawks are looking for — an adult to run the second unit who can direct the young roster where they should be.

So the question comes which version of Rondo are they ultimately getting? If they are getting the version we saw in the playoffs, it’s a great move. If they’re getting the version we saw in the regular season this past year, it’s tough seeing how he ultimately helps the Hawks reach the playoffs.
The Athletic

Still funny to see again that the goal is the playoffs while we already had a roster capable of reaching it.
Not too fast... I know... but I bet they will target better than fighting for the 7th or 8th spot
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#37 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#38 » by Spud2nique » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Purdy!!!

Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#39 » by Spud2nique » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:03 pm

Ironic I wanted cp3 and Rondo 15+ years ago. :nonono: Better late than never. :lol:

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#40 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:08 am

I'm not sure if Vince did this, but I hope Rondo teaches all the young guys to talk and yell out reads on both offense and defense. Communicating plays and reads is really the one big thing that separates the worst teams in the NBA from contenders

Return to Atlanta Hawks