ImageImage

2024 Prospect Highlight: Alex Sarr

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,018

Re: 2024 Prospect Highlight: Alex Sarr 

Post#101 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun May 26, 2024 8:40 pm

King Ken wrote:1. I never disrespected you before that post. Let's be clear.

2. Prove me wrong. I've continue to push Edey as a perfect fit aka Cinderella fit for Trae. I've have so many writing already explaining why. If you disagree, prove me wrong, you won't but go ahead, try.

3. That's still a horrendous opinion. If I said he's offensively like a worse Marquese Chriss at the same stage as prospects, just prove me wrong. Don't say, i know you don't watch the games when that's 100% false. It's clear to me, you can't and that's why your retort is rubbish.

I've never understood what's so hard about debating your take without being disrespectful

Quite frankly, he's not going to have the defensive impact he's had at the college level. Edey has a clear weakness in the PnR, and he's not going to be able to just sit in the paint like he's done in college. We don't even know if he will be a threat spacing the floor. He's not bouncy or super quick, so there's the concern of whether or not he will be a true threat in the PnR as a lob target.

The things that made Edey special at Purdue, will only slow Trae down. Purdue had one of the slowest pace's in all of CBB. The Hawks were 5th this year, and 9th last year.

Sarr is miles ahead of Chriss in terms of BBIQ. He's shown he can hit jumpers on the move. He can literally dribble from one end of the floor, to the other and score. Turns the ball over a lot less. Can initiate offense as a playmaker. I mean I could keep going on and on how different the two are, but the fact of the matter is Chriss was an athlete trying to play basketball, and Sarr just needs to fine tune some things. The two aren't the same. It's really that simple. If anybody actually watched Chriss at Washington, the red flags were always there.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,407

Post#102 » by King Ken » Sun May 26, 2024 9:13 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
King Ken wrote:1. I never disrespected you before that post. Let's be clear.

2. Prove me wrong. I've continue to push Edey as a perfect fit aka Cinderella fit for Trae. I've have so many writing already explaining why. If you disagree, prove me wrong, you won't but go ahead, try.

3. That's still a horrendous opinion. If I said he's offensively like a worse Marquese Chriss at the same stage as prospects, just prove me wrong. Don't say, i know you don't watch the games when that's 100% false. It's clear to me, you can't and that's why your retort is rubbish.

I've never understood what's so hard about debating your take without being disrespectful

Quite frankly, he's not going to have the defensive impact he's had at the college level. Edey has a clear weakness in the PnR, and he's not going to be able to just sit in the paint like he's done in college. We don't even know if he will be a threat spacing the floor. He's not bouncy or super quick, so there's the concern of whether or not he will be a true threat in the PnR as a lob target.

The things that made Edey special at Purdue, will only slow Trae down. Purdue had one of the slowest pace's in all of CBB. The Hawks were 5th this year, and 9th last year.

Sarr is miles ahead of Chriss in terms of BBIQ. He's shown he can hit jumpers on the move. He can literally dribble from one end of the floor, to the other and score. Turns the ball over a lot less. Can initiate offense as a playmaker. I mean I could keep going on and on how different the two are, but the fact of the matter is Chriss was an athlete trying to play basketball, and Sarr just needs to fine tune some things. The two aren't the same. It's really that simple. If anybody actually watched Chriss at Washington, the red flags were always there.

How? Is he going to get stupid? His athleticism is terrific. He's over 100 for the BSPARQ. I don't see his defensive impact getting worse. His mental acuity is off the charts. He's still extremely long 7'10.75 wingspan with a 9'7 standing reach. Strong as an ox. 300 pounds at 7'5. Please convince me.

He gets picked on a lot for PnRs yet his PnR defensive metrics are good. In the tournament, teams had success for 12 mins and then got locked down. He adjusts mentally. I expect the same in the NBA. He should have some struggles at it but it's overblown and the data says the same.

He really doesn't just sit in the paint like Azubuike did. He does move around and offenses are always trying to get him in space and it doesn't work out the way they hope more times than not. Purdue doesn't have the quality of defenders to keep him hidden.

He will be a massive threat for spacing the floor for Trae. That's what matters most with his elite screening, his rolls and his roll IQ. As for him providing spacing, yet to be seen but expecting it at this moment wouldn't be truthful as he haven't seen it. Even if he could do it, he will have to prove it.

He's been a vertical lob spacer when they had those passers as a Soph when Ivey was there and he's been an arm's length finisher recently which has equaled insane PPP off high volume for each of the last two seasons. Far ahead of Lively and this year, everyone.

He played better against pace. Check out my cohost, Coach Von page who has posted videos of Edey performances against high pace teams and Purdue didn't slow things down either.

The Hawks are **** when they play at a high pace. Trae is a terrible floor general. He's best when he can spam PnRs and patiently dissect the defense. That's been reflected in our OffRtg since he's been in Atlanta.

Defensively, yeah. Offensively, Chriss wasn't an airhead. He didn't get smarter but as a prospect and even as a rookie, his offensive BBIQ wasn't bad. It was as expected for a rookie which is what Sarr is.

His volume is extremely limited and the numbers really don't show favor either. His best metrics is the dribble pull-up and the volume was insanely low and most of the makes was within 21ft.

Sarr can grab a board and go coast to coast but that doesn't really have too much value. JJ does that and it didn't have value until he became more polished and was able to do more.

Sarr is definitely a better passer which let to some issues for Chriss we saw more in the NBA. Chriss passing was clearly questionable whereas Sarr shows flashes that it could be a strength in time. I agree with this one.

I think the initiate an offense is years down the line but I saw a couple flashes but it also might not be real.

Please keep going because I have a lot of reasons why Chriss is better as a prospect offensively than Sarr.

I completely disagree with the athlete trying to play Basketball. Chriss has talent but progression ain't linear, bro.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#103 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun May 26, 2024 11:24 pm

King Ken wrote:How? Is he going to get stupid? His athleticism is terrific. He's over 100 for the BSPARQ. I don't see his defensive impact getting worse. His mental acuity is off the charts. He's still extremely long 7'10.75 wingspan with a 9'7 standing reach. Strong as an ox. 300 pounds at 7'5. Please convince me.

He gets picked on a lot for PnRs yet his PnR defensive metrics are good. In the tournament, teams had success for 12 mins and then got locked down. He adjusts mentally. I expect the same in the NBA. He should have some struggles at it but it's overblown and the data says the same.

He really doesn't just sit in the paint like Azubuike did. He does move around and offenses are always trying to get him in space and it doesn't work out the way they hope more times than not. Purdue doesn't have the quality of defenders to keep him hidden.

He will be a massive threat for spacing the floor for Trae. That's what matters most with his elite screening, his rolls and his roll IQ. As for him providing spacing, yet to be seen but expecting it at this moment wouldn't be truthful as he haven't seen it. Even if he could do it, he will have to prove it.

He's been a vertical lob spacer when they had those passers as a Soph when Ivey was there and he's been an arm's length finisher recently which has equaled insane PPP off high volume for each of the last two seasons. Far ahead of Lively and this year, everyone.

He played better against pace. Check out my cohost, Coach Von page who has posted videos of Edey performances against high pace teams and Purdue didn't slow things down either.

The Hawks are **** when they play at a high pace. Trae is a terrible floor general. He's best when he can spam PnRs and patiently dissect the defense. That's been reflected in our OffRtg since he's been in Atlanta.

Defensively, yeah. Offensively, Chriss wasn't an airhead. He didn't get smarter but as a prospect and even as a rookie, his offensive BBIQ wasn't bad. It was as expected for a rookie which is what Sarr is.

His volume is extremely limited and the numbers really don't show favor either. His best metrics is the dribble pull-up and the volume was insanely low and most of the makes was within 21ft.

Sarr can grab a board and go coast to coast but that doesn't really have too much value. JJ does that and it didn't have value until he became more polished and was able to do more.

Sarr is definitely a better passer which let to some issues for Chriss we saw more in the NBA. Chriss passing was clearly questionable whereas Sarr shows flashes that it could be a strength in time. I agree with this one.

I think the initiate an offense is years down the line but I saw a couple flashes but it also might not be real.

Please keep going because I have a lot of reasons why Chriss is better as a prospect offensively than Sarr.

I completely disagree with the athlete trying to play Basketball. Chriss has talent but progression ain't linear, bro.

I'm just going to agree to disagree. You're using BSparq to suggest Edey is a terrific athlete. A metric that awards heavier players with a higher score. For reference, Miles Plumlee has the 12th highest score, and Derrick Rose was like 419th.

As far as Sarr/Chriss, we're watching two different players apparently.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#104 » by King Ken » Sun May 26, 2024 11:36 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
King Ken wrote:How? Is he going to get stupid? His athleticism is terrific. He's over 100 for the BSPARQ. I don't see his defensive impact getting worse. His mental acuity is off the charts. He's still extremely long 7'10.75 wingspan with a 9'7 standing reach. Strong as an ox. 300 pounds at 7'5. Please convince me.

I'm just going to agree to disagree. You're using BSparq to suggest Edey is a terrific athlete. A metric that awards heavier players with a higher score. For reference, Miles Plumlee has the 12th highest score, and Derrick Rose was like 419th.

As far as Sarr/Chriss, we're watching two different players apparently.

D. Rose has a 89.64% which is means he's a terrific athlete and his positional rank is 98%. Meaning he's on of the 5 best PGs ever tested.

Miles Plumlee is a freak athlete. That's why he got drafted and played as long as he did in the NBA.

He was terrible at basketball

https://www.tankathon.com/players/miles-plumlee

Anyone else with these metrics would never played a minute in the NBA.

I keep saying it, you keep trying but it's not looking good for you my friend. Going up against me is Tyson 86. You gotta go way harder than I do and it might not be enough
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 544

Post#105 » by raleigh » Mon May 27, 2024 1:38 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Sarr has traveled from Europe to Atlanta, to Australia all to play basketball. It kind of shows he is willing to get out of his comfort zone just to play basketball

I'm not going to hold playing in France against Risacher, but I wholeheartedly agree about Sarr's drive to improve.

Damien Wilkins, who coached him in Atlanta, had some positive things to say about Sarr:

Wilkins also witnessed Sarr’s hunger for the game and readiness to learn.

“He listened,” Wilkins said. “He learned. He asked a lot of questions, was just always in the gym. I think just learning from the Thompson twins (Amen and Ausar, who were drafted No. 4 and No. 5 last year) and competing with them every day, I think it just gave him you know, a sense of security and his confidence grew as the season went on as he got in the weight room and his body started to change for you can just see the ability that he had.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/overtime-elites-damien-wilkins-saw-alexandre-sarrs-no-1-pick-potential-early/UEA5MKHN2NGARBGF2SIDDVPHHI/
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,449

Post#106 » by CP War Hawks » Mon May 27, 2024 1:48 am

Lol if someone is an Edey stan, you'd think Clingdan as Mutumbo.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#107 » by King Ken » Mon May 27, 2024 2:10 am

raleigh wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Sarr has traveled from Europe to Atlanta, to Australia all to play basketball. It kind of shows he is willing to get out of his comfort zone just to play basketball

I'm not going to hold playing in France against Risacher, but I wholeheartedly agree about Sarr's drive to improve.

Damien Wilkins, who coached him in Atlanta, had some positive things to say about Sarr:

Wilkins also witnessed Sarr’s hunger for the game and readiness to learn.

“He listened,” Wilkins said. “He learned. He asked a lot of questions, was just always in the gym. I think just learning from the Thompson twins (Amen and Ausar, who were drafted No. 4 and No. 5 last year) and competing with them every day, I think it just gave him you know, a sense of security and his confidence grew as the season went on as he got in the weight room and his body started to change for you can just see the ability that he had.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/overtime-elites-damien-wilkins-saw-alexandre-sarrs-no-1-pick-potential-early/UEA5MKHN2NGARBGF2SIDDVPHHI/

Potential
Upside
Potential
Can help switch PnRs
Play beside CC

I do like the fact that Wilkins thinks he's coachable but he said nothing to alleviate my concerns. He keeps talking about his ceiling but nothing about his floor outside of defense for a switch defender.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,032

Post#108 » by jayu70 » Mon May 27, 2024 4:02 pm

Good listen.
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#109 » by jayu70 » Mon May 27, 2024 4:07 pm

Good listen.
Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Tue May 28, 2024 12:12 am

PG13 has a really cool pod.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue May 28, 2024 1:57 pm

jayu70 wrote:

PG13 has a really cool pod.

First time watching his Pod. Definitely enjoyed it. Think Sarr gave some good insight into his time in the NBL starting with the difference between the Real Madrid junior team and the OTE.

So obviously European leagues are more about team ball, and the same can be said with NBL. Sarr even mentions he was given just a limited role with Perth. OTE, it was pure skill development.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,747

Post#112 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#113 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 28, 2024 3:14 pm

Alex Sarr's Shot Chart from his one season in Australia.
Any thoughts?
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,631

Post#114 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue May 28, 2024 3:55 pm

FYI Unofficial measurements...

Wemby - 9'7 standing reach, 32 vertical

Sarr - 9'2 standing reach, 37 vertical
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#115 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 30, 2024 7:08 pm

Most consider the 2024 draft class to be weak. While great players will emerge, no one knows if that will be pick No. 1 or pick No. 35. But the upside Sarr has at 7-1 and his versatility as an inside-out, two-way player project him in the same category as young hybrid centers like Wembanyama and Chet Holmgren.

Last September, Sarr and his teammates traveled to Las Vegas for a pair of exhibition games against the G League Ignite. Over 200 scouts and executives filled the arena to see Sarr and Ignite forwards Matas Buzelis and Ron Holland — all three projected lottery picks heading into the season. In the first game, Sarr finished with 17 points, seven rebounds and six blocks in 29 minutes. In the second game, he looked even more comfortable, coming off the bench and posting 26 points, 10 rebounds and six blocks in a 127-112 win.

"There were stretches in both games where he was the best prospect on the court," an NBA scout told Yahoo Sports. "A two-way player who showed everyone that he's more than just a rim protector."

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 31, 2024 2:43 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#117 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 31, 2024 2:44 am

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 31, 2024 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#119 » by jayu70 » Fri May 31, 2024 8:25 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#120 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 31, 2024 11:35 pm

I mean...can Sarr eventually do this off the bench as a rookie?

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks