ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3

Moderators: dms269, HMFFL, Jamaaliver

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,548

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread Part 3 

Post#1281 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:11 am

It's interesting you all hate Horford for leaving, he left Boston too and everybody loves him
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 554

Post#1282 » by raleigh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:32 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:It's interesting you all hate Horford for leaving, he left Boston too and everybody loves him

He and his family went all 'scorched earth' on the way out. He earned the distaste we feel.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,620

Post#1283 » by dms269 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:It's interesting you all hate Horford for leaving, he left Boston too and everybody loves him

Several factors.
Right before he signed with yall the last report was that he was coming back to Atlanta (report out of Atlanta was that he demanded the max from us but was willing to take less from other teams.

Then his dad also said the following: “There wasn’t as much motivation for him when he saw all the empty seats when they were winning,” Tito Horford said. “He said to me, ‘Dad, when we were playing Boston, they were down 15 points and they were cheering their team like they were winning the game. They’re so into the game.’ This is special for us, especially for him.”
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/13/14271098/al-horford-hawks-fans-boo-atlanta-return-celtics-free-agency

I know Al tried to back peddle after what his dad said, but it doesn't matter.

His sister also said some things on twitter, so there is that.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,548

Post#1284 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm

His sister's always on Twitter saying things
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1285 » by raleigh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Knox for Okogie (plus Layman for $ reasons) makes some sense, yes?

It gets Minny far enough under the tax they could sign a vet, and the Hawks get a perimeter stopper for situational use.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,200

Post#1286 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm

raleigh wrote:Knox for Okogie (plus Layman for $ reasons) makes some sense, yes?

It gets Minny far enough under the tax they could sign a vet, and the Hawks get a perimeter stopper for situational use.

This also works to keep Atlanta under the tax, just barely.
We are currently $2.3 million under the cap - the difference in salaries in this trade is $2.1 million
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,781

Post#1287 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:55 pm

raleigh wrote:

He and his family went all 'scorched earth' on the way out. He earned the distaste we feel.

It wasn't just the leaving. He and his family whined and complained his entire time here. Always wanting him to play PF. Well he's literally been played at C for every team he's ever played for except PHI which is the one place where he didn't fit.

I'd take Dennis back before Al. Dennis, unless I'm forgetting something, never burned bridges here. He had that whole assault charge thing but he was fine. Again, unless I'm forgetting something.
king01 :king:
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1288 » by raleigh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:This also works to keep Atlanta under the tax, just barely. We are currently $2.3 million under the cap - the difference in salaries in this trade is $2.1 million

I worked hard on that part! :lol: Minny could really use some breathing room under the tax, especially if they move Prince for better parts.

I think Layman vs. Knox is a push, so it comes down to whether you'd think there's a vet min signing coming that would offer more than Okogie. I'd personally think not...
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,200

Post#1289 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:32 pm

raleigh wrote:
jayu70 wrote:This also works to keep Atlanta under the tax, just barely. We are currently $2.3 million under the cap - the difference in salaries in this trade is $2.1 million

I worked hard on that part! :lol: Minny could really use some breathing room under the tax, especially if they move Prince for better parts.

I think Layman vs. Knox is a push, so it comes down to whether you'd think there's a vet min signing coming that would offer more than Okogie. I'd personally think not...

Okogie has always been tabbed a defender, how has his defense been this year?
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1290 » by raleigh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:51 pm

jayu70 wrote:Okogie has always been tabbed a defender, how has his defense been this year?

His defensive RAPTOR rating (for whatever that's worth) is top 5 in the NBA.

Basically, he's the anti-Trae. All defense, no offense. He's pesky, energetic, and excels on-ball.

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#1291 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:06 am

jayu70 wrote:
raleigh wrote:

Okogie has always been tabbed a defender, how has his defense been this year?

Wasn’t he a kg guy too? Hmm. I’ll take Layman over Knox.
tbhawksfan1
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#1292 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:35 pm

I would love to talk to the Pacers. Word is they want to rebuild. We got picks and a very moveable contract in Gallo
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1293 » by raleigh » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:49 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:I would love to talk to the Pacers. Word is they want to rebuild. We got picks and a very moveable contract in Gallo

How many of those Pacers would want to play for Nate again?
kg01
General Manager

Post#1294 » by kg01 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:57 pm

raleigh wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:I would love to talk to the Pacers. Word is they want to rebuild. We got picks and a very moveable contract in Gallo

I bet they'd be fine as long as it's not Nate B-jerk-gren.
tbhawksfan1
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,209

Post#1295 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 am

raleigh wrote:

I don't remember any talk of the players having a problem with Nate. When he went back to Indy as Hawk's coach didn't some of his ex players come and exchange with him?

If I'm remembering correctly, the Pacers just thought it was time for a change after failing to get over the playoff hump with Nate.

I also see Nate as a no nonsense guy but also a player's coach. I think that he understands that getting along with the players is important...contrary to the ex guy
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1296 » by raleigh » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 pm

It was mentioned at the time that he'd worn out his welcome. I'll see if I can find an article later today.
kg01
General Manager

Post#1297 » by kg01 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:53 pm

raleigh wrote:It was mentioned at the time that he'd worn out his welcome. I'll see if I can find an article later today.

I'd be curious to see that. IIRC, he may have worn out his welcome with management but the players still were fine with him. I could be wrong but that's what my vague memory recalls. May be easier to just poll Pacer fans.
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1298 » by raleigh » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:59 pm

Management were definitely frustrated with the outdated offense and playoff results, but it was Reggie Miller who said the players ran off McMillan.

There was an IndyStar article but it's paywalled now. All I could find was a tweet summary and an indirect quote:

Brogdon...was the most outspoken and unhappy player among a core group of four with an isolation-heavy offense that couldn’t win a game in a 4 vs. 5 matchup for the second year in a row

Read on Twitter
raleigh
Head Coach

Post#1299 » by raleigh » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:08 pm

Man...looking back at that situation, McMillan handled it with the upmost class. Complain all you want about his coaching, but he's a great representative for the organization.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 15,051

Post#1300 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:31 am

Hawks Consolidate, Pelicans Add Depth and Assets

Atlanta Hawks receive: Brandon Ingram

New Orleans Pelicans receive: John Collins, De'Andre Hunter and 2022 first-round pick (top-18 protected, via CHA)

The Hawks had hopped to rev forward after their Eastern Conference Finals breakout, but they've been stuck in neutral all season. Their roster is as deep as any, but they can't afford to keep everyone—they already moved on from 2019 No. 10 pick Cam Reddish—and they have long appeared prime for a consolidation deal.

Snatching Brandon Ingram away from the Zion Williamson-less, going-nowhere-fast Pelicans might be the move to make.

Ingram could shine as Atlanta's second star. He could instantly relieve some of Trae Young's heavy scoring and playmaking duties, and his three-ball (38.6 percent over the past two seasons) would help keep the floor open for the Hawks guard to attack and run pick-and-rolls with Clint Capela. Since Young and Ingram are both on the right side of 25, Atlanta would be poised to remain an Eastern Conference threat for years to come.

New Orleans, meanwhile, could covet better depth in preparation of Williamson's eventual return. A Zion-John Collins frontcourt would rank among the bounciest in basketball, and Collins, who desires a bigger role, could have enough shooting and shot-blocking to cover up Williamson's biggest weaknesses. This would put Jonas Valanciunas on the bench (or the trade block), but the 29-year-old never seemed more than a stopgap solution in the Crescent City.

A healthy De'Andre Hunter is the three-and-D wing New Orleans hopes rookie Trey Murphy III eventually becomes. Finally, putting another first-round pick on the Pelicans' pile would give them even more trade chips to throw around in a separate swap.
Bleacher Report

Return to Atlanta Hawks