ImageImage

Hawks rumored to be shopping their lottery pick(s)?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Predictions on what Hawks will do with their multiple top-10 picks?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:46 pm

Keep both picks
40%
Trade for future assets
14%
Trade for an established veteran
9%
Consolidate to move up in the draft
37%

Total votes: 43

gundysmullet
Rookie
And1: 644

Re: Hawks rumored to be shopping their lottery pick(s)? 

Post#181 » by gundysmullet » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:05 pm

REHawksFan wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:
jayu70 wrote:You have posted the same thing about Beal over and over, my answer is still the same... No.
I'd rather have Huerter plus #8 and the possibility of combining #10 and #17 to move up.

Neither Huerter nor anyone else that you could acquire in this horrible draft will ever be as good as Beal currently is.

The fact that you keep minimizing Huerter and suggest to know definitively what he will or will not become (along with every player in the draft) undermines your argument.

IF you are correct (I disagree but for the sake of argument) that Huerter will NEVER come close to Beal AND no one in this draft will ever come close to Beal then let me ask you something.

Given all of the above as true..... WHY IN THE EVER LOVING HELL WOULD WASHINGTON TRADE THEIR 25 YEAR OLD BUDDING STAR FOR 3 PLAYER THAT WILL NEVER BE CLOSE TO AS GOOD AS SAID STAR AND KENT BAZEMORE????????

A. I never said that he wouldn't "come close to Beal". I think he may "come close" actually. I just don't think he'll ever be quite as good. Focus young Jedi.
B. Stop yelling, all caps doesn't make your point any more or less valid. Washington makes the deal because they get #10 and #17 to pair with #9, plus a very promising sg under a rookie contract that went to college 25 minutes away and they get out of having to give Beal a big contract in 3 years. They are in full rebuild mode.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#182 » by gundysmullet » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:09 pm

D21 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Neither Huerter nor anyone else that you could acquire in this horrible draft will ever be as good as Beal currently is.

Currently, like you said ;-)
ATL is not wishing to be a contender next season, we don't need Beal we need to build a TEAM that will be the best possible, and it may mean keeping Huerter and picks before getting Beal now

I agree. It's a calculated risk; a known commodity, i.e. Beal vs potential, i.e. Huerter. Will Huerter ever put up 26/6/5 on good efficiency? I don't think so, but he's already been a Hawk for over a year so the emotional attachment has taken root, and I get it. With my proposal you get a top 5 sg that's only about to turn 26 and still get the #8 pick in the draft. Young, Beal and Collins is a phenomenal young trifecta.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,668

Post#183 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:14 pm

king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,700

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:16 pm

gundysmullet wrote:I agree. It's a calculated risk; a known commodity, i.e. Beal vs potential, i.e. Huerter. Will Huerter ever put up 26/6/5 on good efficiency? I don't think so, but he's already been a Hawk for over a year so the emotional attachment has taken root, and I get it. With my proposal you get a top 5 sg that's only about to turn 26 and still get the #8 pick in the draft. Young, Beal and Collins is a phenomenal young trifecta.

Taking out the emotional aspect of this surprisingly long running argument:

Both approaches have merit. But there is substantial risk to cashing in chips now. Huerter might still be traded in the future, but his value is gonna increase.

While Beal's value is at it's peak.

No one is wrong in this debate. Both approaches have merit. Both approaches bear some risk.
kg01
General Manager

Post#185 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Taking out the emotional aspect of this surprisingly long running argument:

Both approaches have merit. But there is substantial risk to cashing in chips now. Huerter might still be traded in the future, but his value is gonna increase.

No one is wrong in this debate. Both approaches have merit. Both approaches bear some risk.

You should run for office, @jamm. Not that I would vote for you, jussayin'.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#186 » by gundysmullet » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:I agree. It's a calculated risk; a known commodity, i.e. Beal vs potential, i.e. Huerter. Will Huerter ever put up 26/6/5 on good efficiency? I don't think so, but he's already been a Hawk for over a year so the emotional attachment has taken root, and I get it. With my proposal you get a top 5 sg that's only about to turn 26 and still get the #8 pick in the draft. Young, Beal and Collins is a phenomenal young trifecta.

Taking out the emotional aspect of this surprisingly long running argument:

Excellent, even handed, well thought out post! The only caveat that I would make is that you're not cashing in "all" of your chips, just #10, #17 and Huerter. You still have #8, plus now a young top 5 sg.
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#187 » by gundysmullet » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:28 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Taking out the emotional aspect of this surprisingly long running argument:

You should run for office, @jamm. Not that I would vote for you, jussayin'.

So many gifs and memes, my eyes can't take it anymore. Ahhh…………………………….
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,077

Post#188 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:28 pm

You're right about the supermax, I just use it interchangeably with any deals over $30MM per year :lol:

In any case Beal will be eligible to earn north of $200MM, and somewhere in the range of $35M annually. Is Beal worth that much, on a team that otherwise will be only two years removed from a 29 win season? No.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#189 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:42 pm

azuresou1 wrote:In any case Beal will be eligible to earn north of $200MM, and somewhere in the range of $35M annually. Is Beal worth that much, on a team that otherwise will be only two years removed from a 29 win season? No.

I got to be honest...maybe.

If we're at/approaching true contention.

He'd be in his prime still and we'd have him surrounded by pieces headed into their prime.

If we could snag 4 years of Beal best years for the #10 and #17 picks in a mediocre draft -- I'd strongly consider it.

Hell, that might be where we're headed. Schlenk's stated he doesn't want to bring in 5 rookies on a number of occasions. Now he just picked up an extra 1st rounder this year and next year. Trav's clearly working on some sort of deal.

What are we gonna spend these multiple picks on?

• RJ Barrett?
  • Jarrett Culver?
  • Expiring Anthony Davis?
  • Expiring Draymond Green?
  • Bradley Beal?
gundysmullet
Rookie

Post#190 » by gundysmullet » Fri Jun 7, 2019 1:58 pm

azuresou1 wrote:You're right about the supermax, I just use it interchangeably with any deals over $30MM per year :lol:

In any case Beal will be eligible to earn north of $200MM, and somewhere in the range of $35M annually. Is Beal worth that much, on a team that otherwise will be only two years removed from a 29 win season? No.

tell us why not? He's a top 5 sg that just put up 26/5/6 on good efficiency and is only about to turn 26. Plus he's under contract for another 2 years! Plus, what does their w/l record for '18-'19 have to do with the team 3 years from now? A team with Trae Young, Bradley Beal, John Collins, Omari Spellman, Alex Len, Dawyne Dedmond, Bembry, Crabbe plus the #8 this year is a great young team that will grow together organically over then next few years adding pieces along the way.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,077

Post#191 » by azuresou1 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 2:32 pm

A) Beal is under contract for this upcoming season and then one more season. He will be looking for $35M annually when his contract is up

B) Our current roster is very, VERY far away from even contending. We are one of the worst defensive teams in the league, we have no long term answer at C and at least one of the wing positions. The #8 - MAYBE - helps address one of those issues (rookies are never guaranteed to pan out)

C) Most of those guys will not be on our roster in two seasons when Beal's deal ends.

Dedmon - good vet but will be 32
Alex Len - rotation level big
Spellman - fat
Bembry - not good at any of the things you look for from an NBA wing outside of defending passing lanes

C) 'Top 5 SG' and '26/5/6' sounds good until you realize how thin the position is and how completely depleted of talent the Wizards were last year. Seriously Tomas Satoransky, Jeff Green, and Thomas Bryant were 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in minutes played last season.

I'm not saying Beal's an empty stats guy, but his counting stats were significantly inflated playing with a bunch of scrubs, and I think it's much more likely he's a 22/4/4 guy on a good team.

D) Here are the 50+ win teams from this season:

GSW - 2 indisputable superstars + 2 indisputable all-stars (including a DPotY candidate)
Toronto - 1 indisputable superstar (a DPotY candidate) + 3 borderline all-stars + very deep rotation
Milwaukee - 1 indisputable superstar (a DPotY candidate) + 1 borderline all-star + 3 strong starters
Denver - 1 indisputable superstar + 1 borderline all-stars + very deep rotation
Houston - 1 indisputable superstar + 2 borderline all-stars
Portland - 1 borderline superstar + 1 indisputable all-star + a deep rotation
Philly - 1 indisputable superstar (a DPotY candidate) + 2 indisputable all-stars + 2 strong starters
Utah - 2 borderline all-stars (including a DPotY candidate) + very deep rotation

Noticing a trend here? Outside of Utah, who let's be real was never a true contender, you need a superstar to even break 50 wins. You also need significant talent outside of that superstar to truly contend. We haven't even established that Trae/JC will be perennial all-stars - why would we rush to cement ourselves to a ceiling to Beal/Trae/JC?
kerrypack
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#192 » by kerrypack » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:04 pm

all signs say the hawks are going to be really patient; couldn't see beal. Also don't see the hawks drafting 6 players this year.
kerrypack
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#193 » by kerrypack » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:57 pm

kerrypack wrote:all signs say the hawks are going to be really patient; couldn't see beal. Also don't see the hawks drafting 6 players this year.
KP, you are a moron, by the way.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,013

Post#194 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 4:57 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Spellman - fat

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#195 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:14 pm

Regarding Beal, it's this simple, from where I sit.

1. Schlenk has indicated not much greater expectations for a playoff slot in 2020 than he did this year... saying in so many words that he's treating this off-season like the previous one.

2. Schlenk, you, me or anyone else can look at the 2020 free agent catalog and see clearly that that's one skimpy catalog... nothing there worth pursuing that's going to make much difference.

3. Exact opposite in the 2021 free agent catalog.

I'm persuaded based on all of that, as I believe many are, that the strategy is to have all the salary cap possible two years from now, going hard after two maxes.

Anything that detracts from that is nothing Schlenk is going to touch.

No zeal for Beal.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,013

Post#196 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:30 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:No zeal for Beal.

:nod:
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#197 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:28 am

No zeal for Beal. So. No deal. For real.

Poetry's always been my thing.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#198 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm still hopeful we can grab this kid, but he'd have to fall to #5 for us to have a legit shot:

Lakers ‘really liked’ what they saw from Jarrett Culver during draft workout

Jarrett Culver was able to impress the Lakers during his private workout with them earlier this month

While there are a handful of players that are worthy of being taken fourth overall. the Lakers have only worked out one of them to date: Texas Tech guard Jarrett Culver. The 20-year-old Texas native worked out at the UCLA Health Training Center in El Segundo earlier this month and according to Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report, he made a good impression on the Lakers during the approximately two hours he spent with them:

Read on Twitter

The appeal with Culver is easy to see just by looking at his physical makeup. At the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago last month, Culver measured in at 6’6.75” in shoes, the perfect size for a shooting guard in the NBA, but he also showed off an impressive a 6’9.5” wingspan, which theoretically makes it easier for him to defend forwards.

Offensively, he has some room to grow after shooting 46.1 percent from the field, including 30.4 percent from behind the arc, during his sophomore season at Texas Tech, but he’s shown real promise as a scorer, particularly in the mid range where he likes to operate. He’s also shown the ability to make plays at a high level.

Culver’s game might not be as flashy as other players in the draft, but his all-around game leads one to believe he’ll be able to make an impact upon arrival. If the Lakers are successful in their pursuit of a superstar, they’re going to need cheap help wherever they can find it.
Lakers -- SB Nation
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#199 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:04 pm

kg01
General Manager

Post#200 » by kg01 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:No zeal for Beal. So. No deal. For real.

Poetry's always been my thing.

Oh man. Comedian? Rapper? Poli-Sci professor? Is there anything you can't do, @stuart?

Return to Atlanta Hawks