Starter
And1: 2,515

Re: Mavs & Cavs Draft Pick Watch 

Post#21 » by macd-gm » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 pm

steady wrote:Trae
33 minutes 14-6-5 on 5-14 shots with a 3 pointer and 4 FTA

Doncic
32 minutes 10-8-4 on 5-16 shooting with 0-5 3 ptrs and 0 FTA

After starting with 6 points and 3 assists in first quarter, Doncic noticeably cooled down. There were long stretches where he was invisible then when he tried to make move to basket he missed numerous floaters. His D was ok but not amazing. He s not that fast. He infrequently had the ball or had people try to attack his defense, unlike Trae who it seened was in the Knicks crosshairs for much of night on both O and D

I stand by my prediction that Trae is going to be fine

Edit - also Suns looked good. Ayton was a force, Josh Jackson and Ariza both had great moments, they seemed cohesive, Booker just back from injury was his same self, Suns led by 10-15 for almost all of night. Mavs by contrast looked discombobulated -

Agree. I was all good with Trae's first game. If some other guys had played smarter it would have helped the cause a ton.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,714

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:27 pm

steady wrote:...also Suns looked good. Ayton was a force, Josh Jackson and Ariza both had great moments, they seemed cohesive, Booker just back from injury was his same self, Suns led by 10-15 for almost all of night. Mavs by contrast looked discombobulated -

Phoenix's new Head Coach looks like a keeper. He came in with a reputation as a strong Xs and Os guy. A real strategy buff.

That reputation seems well earned.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#23 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:05 am

Warren and Jackson coming off the bench for the Suns is a game changer for them. If they find the right point guard, I think they can make some noise.

I just don't see how Cleveland conveys that pick this year. I think bottom three in the East goes: Hawks, Cavs, and Nets in no order. The Magic may eventually tank hard, but have pieces I like, especially Bamba. Would've been ultra pleased if they could have acquired him after Trae.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm

New-look Mavs looking to make big jump this season

Outspoken Dallas Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban conceded his team was playing for draft lottery position last season, but insisted it would be a one year only strategy.

Dallas finished tied for the league’s third worst record, but fell to fifth after the lottery.

So, Cuban and the Mavs’ front office decided to make a bold move on draft night, trading their 2019 first round pick to Atlanta to move up two spots for a chance to select international sensation Luka Doncic.

Early in the season, Doncic has more than lived up to the hype, showing the creativity and flair that made him such a fan favorite on the European professional circuit. Through the Mavs’ first two games, Doncic is averaging 18 points, 7 rebounds and 3.5 assists while giving Rick Carlisle’s team a much-needed boost in transition.

Doncic and second-year guard Dennis Smith Jr. will give opposing teams nightmares in the open court all season long.
NBC Sports
macd-gm
Starter

Post#25 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

I was expecting big things from Trae. I thought Doncic would be good but he's started stronger than i thought.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#26 » by ATL Boy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 pm

We need the Cavs to go on a winning streak soon. They definitely have the talent to compete for a playoff spot in the East but a few more losses and they may just decide to tank.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#27 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:22 pm

ATL Boy wrote:We need the Cavs to go on a winning streak soon. They definitely have the talent to compete for a playoff spot in the East but a few more losses and they may just decide to tank.

Exactly. There is no reason they should be really bad. It's a better roster than NYK have (w/o kristaps). I don't think Lue knows what he's doing.
socialsavant
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#28 » by socialsavant » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:49 pm

macd-gm wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:We need the Cavs to go on a winning streak soon. They definitely have the talent to compete for a playoff spot in the East but a few more losses and they may just decide to tank.

Exactly. There is no reason they should be really bad. It's a better roster than NYK have (w/o kristaps). I don't think Lue knows what he's doing.

I think they're giving Collin Sexton too many minutes. He's been horrible so far and they 2 legit point guards besides him. He's a big reason why Trae killed last night. They better start winning or Ty Lue will be out of a job.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#29 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 pm

I'd start Hill/Clarkson/Osman/Love/Nance. Bring Hood/JR/KK/Thompson off the bench. When JR is healthly I might start Clarkson/JR in the backcourt. They need to run a lot more through Love and get the shooters ready at the 3 point line.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#30 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Seriously, bittersweet win.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#31 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm

socialsavant wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

I think they're giving Collin Sexton too many minutes. He's been horrible so far and they 2 legit point guards besides him. He's a big reason why Trae killed last night. They better start winning or Ty Lue will be out of a job.

They do need Sexton to lead that team of the king's retinues (including the coach).
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#32 » by ATL Boy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:52 am

We dealt Dallas an early-season blow. They're at 2-2 with a tough stretch coming up.

I'm losing faith in us getting that Cavs pick. 0-4, having trailed all four games by 20+. They may be a bigger threat to our pick more than anything else.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:10 pm

With Cleveland the only win-less team in the league, having already fired their coach and missing their best player for at least a few weeks -- I am officially downgrading our chances of obtaining that top-10 protected draft pick to very unlikely.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,026

Post#34 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:12 pm

I've already given up on that pick converting to us this year.

I'm already looking at who we can trade to pick up another 1st.  I'm hoping Baze to Minny, NOP or OKC.

Huerter and Bembry gets more minutes and SG, as well as Dorsey (he expires this year so would be good to know if he's worth resigning).

That Denver trade instead of Lin would look mighty nice right about now!
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#35 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:55 pm

I basically gave up on the Cleveland pick once Lebron left. I believe two first rounders are enough for 2019.

The goal should be to add another for 2020. Cleveland still has pieces of value to improve for next season: Korver for teams needing shooting, Hill to highest bidder needing a point, Clarkson for teams needing a scorer off the bench, etc.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#36 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:48 pm

The Cavs are delusional. Should have traded Love, Hill and Korver and start over.
Thanks for the honesty.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#37 » by steady » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Makes even clearer what a good decision Kyrie made last summer to jump ship.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,026

Post#38 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:I basically gave up on the Cleveland pick once Lebron left. I believe two first rounders are enough for 2019.

The goal should be to add another for 2020. Cleveland still has pieces of value to improve for next season: Korver for teams needing shooting, Hill to highest bidder needing a point, Clarkson for teams needing a scorer off the bench, etc.

I've already given up on that pick converting to us this year.

I'm already looking at who we can trade to pick up another 1st. (We can never have too many 1sts) I'm hoping Baze to Minny, NOP or OKC.

Huerter and Bembry gets more minutes at SG, as well as Dorsey (he expires this year so would be good to know if he's worth resigning).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 am

steady wrote:Makes even clearer what a good decision Kyrie made last summer to jump ship.

And in truth, he did them the favor of giving them enough of a head's up to get something tangible in return.

The Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder portion didn't work out long term. But getting a top-10 draft pick held some serious value.

NOTE: C Sexton hasn't looked good thus far, though. Let's hope that is remedied with some solid coaching.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#40 » by steady » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm

jayu70 wrote:I've already given up on that pick converting to us this year.

I'm already looking at who we can trade to pick up another 1st.  I'm hoping Baze to Minny, NOP or OKC.

Huerter and Bembry gets more minutes and SG, as well as Dorsey (he expires this year so would be good to know if he's worth resigning).

That Denver trade instead of Lin would look mighty nice right about now!

DEN pick - protected 1-12 - is likely to convey this year but will likely be in mid to late 20s if DEN continues its earl season good play, 5-1 and big win over Pels last night

Return to Atlanta Hawks