ImageImage

Acie Law

Moderators: dms269, HMFFL, Jamaaliver

JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#21 » by JoshB914 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I dont know tb, IV does not seem to play the NBA style wel yet. I think we need to keep him in the system and gradually let him spread his wings like most rookies not named Durant.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 578

Post#22 » by NDaATL » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:31 pm

Quickness is different than 3/4 court speed. I would be willing to bet that Acie's first step is just as quick as Conley's and Conley tested much faster in the 3/4 court sprint.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,092

Post#23 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:33 pm

JoshB914 wrote:I dont know tb, IV does not seem to play the NBA style wel yet. I think we need to keep him in the system and gradually let him spread his wings like most rookies not named Durant.

Horford got the chance to play big minutes from the start and certainly had his problems at first. he was a train wreck with the ball, seemingly turning it over half the times he touched it.

After a month his+/- was about -30.

Using stats to evaluate rookies who haven't played a lot of minutes just doesn't make sense.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#24 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:34 pm

NDaATL wrote:Quickness is different than 3/4 court speed. I would be willing to bet that Acie's first step is just as quick as Conley's and Conley tested much faster in the 3/4 court sprint.

LOL

I thought speed doesn't really matter though since it doesn't measure skill?

:roll:
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#25 » by conleyorbust » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 pm

I have been suprised by Acie's quickness because that wasn't what you saw in college where he had a superb mid-range game. Its pretty obvious that his shot isn't falling, even when he gets to the rim and puts it up...

We can't afford to let him work that out for the 20 minutes a game or so we could let him have otherwise. We need to blow teams out more often...
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by NDaATL » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm

tontoz wrote:LOL

I thought speed doesn't really matter though since it doesn't measure skill?

:roll:

Where did I ever say speed doesn't matter? I said that things such as quickness and skill are more important.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#27 » by JoshB914 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:41 pm

MCJ definetely has a quicker first step than IV.

I agree with you with the +/- Tontoz. But as a team in a playoff race we can't afford to give IV minutes when he is not producing like we are prepping for next season. The bottom line is we are in a playoff race RIGHT NOW (it's hard to believe) and need to make the adjustments with our current team that will win games in the present. I don't think IV getting 25 minutes a game will help us win.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by NDaATL » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 pm

JoshB914 wrote:MCJ definetely has a quicker first step than IV..

Well I'm not going to disagree with you because Conley is also quick as hell, but he's not so much quicker that he "definitely" has the quicker first step. An argument could be made for Acie's being just as quick. However, Conley tested MUCH faster than Acie in the 3/4 court sprint, but Acie's first step definitely makes that difference look a lot less than it actually is.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#29 » by Rip2137 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:50 pm

I think that Law has played well against quick guards defensively and in that way he could be of use right now.

His biggest problem is his fear of screwing up. Much like QB's in football, a point guard has to have a short memory and the guts to make the plays. Right now he is trying to play safe which will lead to more mistakes.

I will say this though, im missing at the rim is a better miss than chucking up threes, and he is a threat to push the ball on a break.

The problem is that on most plays, he is constantly looking to Woodson to see what to do while AJ just goes and runs the offense because he is more of a seasoned vet.

Acie also doesn't look off defenders. I don't mean no look passes but at the same time, you can't just telegraph passes the way he does. That allows defenders to get a hand on them more.

For all his faults I can say that his turnovers are usually of the good variety instead of the bad ones. You can live with turnovers going toward the rim as it sucks the other teams offense inside and makes it harder to score off of it. And like I said, he is also very solid defendsively, expsecially against quicker guards. he will improve when he is given a reason to believe he isn't on a short leash.

I thnk if the Hawks pick up the pace, he will be alot more useful. They need to start taking the ball out the basket and running on made shots, much like the Suns do. Put the pressure on the other team. Defensively, we are a pretty strong team, so I like our chances in that system. The first half against Chicago should be the norm, not the abberation. Law should have had 5 assist in the first half of that game if not for bobbled balls and such. He thrives in a uptempo offense and that is alot easier to grasp in the start than the intricate half court sets of the NBA game.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#30 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm

I suppose it is just a wild coincidence that a guy who times fast in a 3/4 court sprint also has a quick first step.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#31 » by tbhawksfan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Hey guys, there is an interesting conversation going on here. If you guys stop tripping on each other over who has the fraction of a second quicker first step, you might add some interesting insight into why Acies game has gone so cold.

Rip has re-stated exactly what I've been saying; gotta let him play fearless Bball.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#32 » by killbuckner » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:02 pm

Frankly I don't want him playing fearless Bball- he isn't a good enough scorer to play like that. When he is on the court he should be either the 4th or 5th option on offense. If he can't succeed in that role then he shouldn't be playing right now. If he tries to take on a larger role in the offense I think he is going to hurt the Hawks badly every time he is on the court.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#33 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:03 pm

Rip has re-stated exactly what I've been saying; gotta let him play fearless Bball.

It isn't even about that. It is just about letting him play period. He isn't going to show much playing 15 minutes per game.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by NDaATL » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm

tontoz wrote:I suppose it is just a wild coincidence that a guy who times fast in a 3/4 court sprint also has a quick first step.

Of course not, but that doesn't mean someone with a slower 3/4 court sprint can't have a quick first step.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#35 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:10 pm

NDaATL wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Of course not, but that doesn't mean someone with a slower 3/4 court sprint can't have a quick first step.

Sure, just like it is possible for a 5'2" guy to play in the NBA.

Of course the probabilities are that the faster the player times in the sprint the faster their first step will be.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#36 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 pm

killbuckner wrote:Frankly I don't want him playing fearless Bball- he isn't a good enough scorer to play like that. When he is on the court he should be either the 4th or 5th option on offense. If he can't succeed in that role then he shouldn't be playing right now. If he tries to take on a larger role in the offense I think he is going to hurt the Hawks badly every time he is on the court.

God forbid we play Acie 31 minutes. He might average 7 ppg shooting 39% like AJ has done the past 5 games.
JoshB914
Head Coach

Post#37 » by JoshB914 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 pm

True but AJ is always averaging around 7 APG over his last four games. He went through a bad patch during that losing streak but looks to be back distributing the ball well. IV has not shown the ability to do that. Which is the main reason he shouldn't be playing big minutes.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#38 » by tontoz » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

AJ is averaging 6 assists in his last 5 games which is nothing to crow about.

In order for a pg to get an assist it has to be a made basket. Acie has driven and passed out to open shooters time and again who just miss shots. we are a horrible jumpshooting team.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#39 » by killbuckner » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

tontoz- the difference is that AJ has shot 39% during a 5 game bad stretch. Acie has shot 37% for the whole season. Acie just hasn't shown anything to make an objective viewer think he deserves more minutes than he is playing.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#40 » by tbhawksfan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Nov. 9th against Boston he had:

26 mins. / 3 for 5 FG / 2 rebs / 5 assts. / 1 stl

Next game 14 minutes 5 assists.

I'm not going to look anymore. I saw what he can do. He was playing loose. Now he isn't.

I'm looking for the Hawks to make the playoffs this season, but I haven't forgotten that we're still a very young developiing team. I have a hard time imagining anything but a first round exit this year. Next season I'd like to see them advance. Acie needs to be part of that.

I'd like for his development to be asap. I don't think that's Woodson's specialty.

Return to Atlanta Hawks