ImageImage

Point guard options

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#21 » by killbuckner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:15 pm

nelson has definitely been the starter this season- I didn't realize he was coming back so soon. Though nelson hasn't exactly been good this season. I don't see them weakening their PG rotation any more. Though maybe they would prefer AJ over him- who knows.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#22 » by conleyorbust » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 pm

killbuckner wrote:nelson has definitely been the starter this season- I didn't realize he was coming back so soon. Though nelson hasn't exactly been good this season. I don't see them weakening their PG rotation any more. Though maybe they would prefer AJ over him- who knows.

He's day-to-day, so take that how you will. They will definitely keep him and its unclear how Arroyo fits into the long term plans but on a team that wants to run he is a big upgrade over AJ. Again, they might think about it if they could get a player they liked along with another backup pg. Worth a shot if nothing better presents itself.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#23 » by Rip2137 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:26 pm

There really isn't going to be a quality PG available out there until the offseason. Unless you want to add Earl Boykins for a scoring punch off the bench, no one is really moving anyone because they don't really have a reason to.

Sacramento will probably move Bibby to get Ubrich more time out there and let him know they want him back. Thats about all the real moves I could see happening. Unless you want to take a stab at a guy like Francis or agree to overpay Mike James
atlsun
Senior

Post#24 » by atlsun » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 am

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=

I think this trade would be good for both teams.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#25 » by dms269 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:16 am

atlsun wrote:http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2373~489~2797~3040~996~3012&teams=29~29~29~29~1~1&te=&cash=

I think this trade would be good for both teams.

Visit the Grizz's Gasol trade. They have specific rules about what they want in return for Gasol. Now given that there is a chance Gasol would be traded for that combo (except we wouldn't have a sf after that deal, please no smith to sf talk unless we want him to shoot 20 3's a game and make 2). Their "rules" start with one of smith or horford, add in one of marvin, chill, shelden. and expiring players (aka lue, aj, wright).

A5RoadDogg wrote:everyone talks about mike bibby to cleveland, why not go after bibby for atlanta?

we desparately need one more shooter to spread the floor, and that's just what bibby provides, at the point...not to mention his history of clutch playoff performances. check his numbers, he still is performing at a high level. doesn't this make the most sense?

But what they want in return for him and what we are willing to give are completely different. If they would be willing to take expirings, zaza, and os forth than sure. His contract is big and that should be a concern.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
atlsun
Senior

Post#26 » by atlsun » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 am

^ who cares what fans want they dont do the deal. If I was the Grizz gm I would that deal, and if i was billy I would do that deal too.

we would be a top 5 team in the east with that deal.
Badboy
Senior
And1: 2

Post#27 » by Badboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:25 am

hmmm what would u guys give up to get Hinrich from the bulls? Would you even be interested?
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,551

Post#28 » by dms269 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 pm

atl sun, I'm guessing you're going to move Smith to the 3 then for that trade?

Hinrich is interesting. His main problem is his contract, it is huge for the production he gives out.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,972

Post#29 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:29 pm

uga_dawgs24 wrote:atl sun, I'm guessing you're going to move Smith to the 3 then for that trade?

Hinrich is interesting. His main problem is his contract, it is huge for the production he gives out.

I believe his salary decreases each year.
Rip2137
Analyst
And1: 228

Post#30 » by Rip2137 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Well, that and he isn't a point guard. Might as well trade for any two guard pretending to be a point.

And it doesn't matter what position you put Josh on the court, it just matters how he decides to play the position.

Its not like he is saying "Well, I am a SF so I will take alot of jumpers". He did that as a PF in November. 3-4...who cares if he plays his same to the rim game.

I just don't think the Grizz would take that trade for Gasol honestly.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#31 » by evildallas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Hinrich is a PG pretending to be a 2. He just isn't the pure passing PG. He's a good player, but the contract is a big issue even though it is frontloaded. The next 2 seasons he's making close to the same dollars as Bibby. He's also BYC which makes the math on the trade very difficult.

The problem with Bibby isn't just his high salary, it is that if the Kings move him they want to package a bad contract with him as a condition of making a deal. Kenny Thomas's big contract is a too much for us to swallow.

On other PGs, am I the only one who is concerned about how much Andre Miller has left in his tank? Also, Arroyo moved ahead of Nelson on the depth chart during that slide period for Orlando. Don't know if it was long term or just to shake things up.

For everyone who wants to hit a home run get a great starting PG, why would their team give them up? Also, don't underestimate how much the team would improve just by upgrading Lue to a distributor who can play D.

One more to consider, if Indiana realizes that they are doomed to mediocrity without cap space.
Lue
Zaza
for
Tinsley

I know he's injury prone and has many years on his contract, but he's having a great season.
Going to donkey punch a leprechaun!
evildallas
General Manager

Post#32 » by evildallas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:58 pm

Would Portland give us a PG if we took Darius Miles off their hands for expiring contracts? Probably not considering how hot they are, but if they weren't do quite so well I bet it would work.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Portland has to make a move at some point because they have all those pgs stashed overseas and Oden will take a rosters spot in the future.

Tins is having a solid season and he would be a massive upgrade but I'm not sure what the cost would be, I'm thinking it would be out of our league considering they don't have a younger fella in the wings.

I think you make a great point about needing an upgrade of almost any magnitude. Thats why my original list had guys that seemed obtainable with short contracts. This doesn't necessarilly have to be an all-star, just someone that won't be terrible. That's why I liked the Arroyo idea although I admit I don't know how much they value him.

I like Watson a lot as a player. Decent shooter, great passer, great defender. I wonder if management would be willing to take on his contract. He definitely could be a starter on our team for a couple of years and I think Seattle has not problem moving him for expirings and a sweetner of some sort.
evildallas
General Manager

Post#34 » by evildallas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:50 pm

^^^ My understanding is that Seattle would love to move either Watson or Ridnour. Together they are making almost max dollars for a couple more years and don't add up to impact of a $13M PG. Moving one allows for the resigning of Delonte West or the drafting of a top PG (I'm sure they'd prefer an elite big, but it depends on lottery on who they would get).
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:05 pm

evildallas wrote:^^^ My understanding is that Seattle would love to move either Watson or Ridnour. Together they are making almost max dollars for a couple more years and don't add up to impact of a $13M PG. Moving one allows for the resigning of Delonte West or the drafting of a top PG (I'm sure they'd prefer an elite big, but it depends on lottery on who they would get).

I'd like to know how much taking on Watson's contract would handicap the team. Its similar to a Claxton-type move except Watson isn't a horrendously injury prone type of guy. I wouldn't be averse to it if we could do it without handcuffing ourselves for the long run.
conleyorbust
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by conleyorbust » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 pm

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... erm_plans/

Watson doesn't think he fits into Seattle's plans long term. Thinks they might be tanking, maybe he'd be available on the cheap.
HoopsGuru25
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#37 » by HoopsGuru25 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm not trading Smith or Horford for Gasol...He's good but not that good.

I would rather go after Elton Brand while he could be had for much less than he's actually worth.
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 665

Post#38 » by D21 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:37 am

evildallas wrote:Would Portland give us a PG if we took Darius Miles off their hands for expiring contracts? Probably not considering how hot they are, but if they weren't do quite so well I bet it would work.

At this point, I would even be curious to see what Taurean Green could do here. Hmm, it's horrible to have to say this...
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:13 am

conleyorbust wrote:http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/50502/20080125/seattles_watson_doesnt_think_he_fits_into_teams_long_term_plans/

Watson doesn't think he fits into Seattle's plans long term. Thinks they might be tanking, maybe he'd be available on the cheap.

13 million over the next two years doesn't sound like a good investment when it comes to Earl Watson.

evildallas wrote:Would Portland give us a PG if we took Darius Miles off their hands for expiring contracts? Probably not considering how hot they are, but if they weren't do quite so well I bet it would work.

Insurance and Paul Allen make a wonderful team.

I seriously doubt anyone's calling about Darius right now, maybe next year, but it's not wise for us to trade for Darius.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#40 » by HMFFL » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:16 am

Acie is suppose to be the #1 during the next couple years. We need to stay the course and trade for a veteran with a expiring contract. I'd love to acquire Sam Cassell who has experience and Acie could benefit from his knowledge.

The other option would be Andre Miller. He's still going to cost some talent to acquire and he's still due 10 million next season. This could turn into a bad investment depending on what it would cost to acquire him and if we are unable to retain the Joshes.

Return to Atlanta Hawks