ImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Hawks)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Hawks) 

Post#2561 » by Spud2nique » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#2562 » by Spud2nique » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 am

I think this propels Mavs to win more games...I’d be willing to bet that we have a worse record at the end..we better!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,013

Post#2563 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 am

Mmmmmmmmm....
Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,668

Post#2564 » by kg01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:49 am

jayu70 wrote:Mmmmmmmmm....
Read on Twitter

This is too bad for them ..... welp, he's on my potential force-trade list now. Him, Porzingo, Ant. Davis and Chuk McC.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,697

Post#2565 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm

kg01 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is too bad for them ..... welp, he's on my potential force-trade list now. Him, Porzingo, Ant. Davis and Chuk McC.

That lists seems pretty spot on.

What are the odds we have enough assets to legitimately put in a bid for nay of these guys?

Collins and Taurean would have to be the starting point in negotiations, right?
kg01
General Manager

Post#2566 » by kg01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That lists seems pretty spot on.

What are the odds we have enough assets to legitimately put in a bid for nay of these guys?

Collins and Taurean would have to be the starting point in negotiations, right?

I don't think we'll have the assets to get it done, if I'm being honest. Not unless we just catch some GM off guard or if SAS finally makes good on the Splitter trade and gives us a sweetheart deal.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#2567 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

kg01 wrote:I don't think we'll have the assets to get it done, if I'm being honest. Not unless we just catch some GM off guard or if SAS finally makes good on the Splitter trade and gives us a sweetheart deal.

Would you be willing to move our 2018 draft pick for Kawhi straight up? How about if it falls out of the top 2?

NOTE: I am aware we'd likely need to include some salary for matching purposes. Just gauging trade value.
kg01
General Manager

Post#2568 » by kg01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:I don't think we'll have the assets to get it done, if I'm being honest. Not unless we just catch some GM off guard or if SAS finally makes good on the Splitter trade and gives us a sweetheart deal.

Would you be willing to move our 2018 draft pick for Kawhi straight up? How about if it falls out of the top 2?

NOTE: I am aware we'd likely need to include some salary for matching purposes. Just gauging trade value.

Heyul yeyuh but no way SAS would do that considering they'd have to take back Bumlee or something. Honestly, Bumlee/Prince/2018 1st plus one of HOU/MIN 1sts ain't a bad package especially when you consider Leonard is still weirdly hurt and due a max extension (IIUC).
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#2569 » by Spud2nique » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:08 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Heyul yeyuh but no way SAS would do that considering they'd have to take back Bumlee or something. Honestly, Bumlee/Prince/2018 1st plus one of HOU/MIN 1sts ain't a bad package especially when you consider Leonard is still weirdly hurt and due a max extension (IIUC).

I’m the biggest Kawhi fan here...(ya burd) and I wouldn’t trade our 2018 1st for him, specially with the injury. He doesn’t really fit our timeline anymore. If we went after Kawhi we would need to use whatever assets we would have left to go after a #2 guy for Kawhi to make him happy...I don’t think we would have enough assets.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#2570 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:18 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I’m the biggest Kawhi fan here...(ya burd) and I wouldn’t trade our 2018 1st for him, specially with the injury. He doesn’t really fit our timeline anymore. If we went after Kawhi we would need to use whatever assets we would have left to go after a #2 guy for Kawhi to make him happy...I don’t think we would have enough assets.

Spud and I have a love affair with Kawhi (well he really shouldn't but....) but I agree with him, the mystery injury is concerning. He seems to have these weird injuries like the hand a few years ago which was rarely seen in bball players.
Do we disrupt the rebuild by adding a high priced win now piece? if he already feels SA hasn't put enough around him, what assets do we have left to appease him knowing he's hitting FAcy. What's our next move to propel us into contender status? does he resign? Is he enough to attract another FA?
This is a tough call. And HUGE risk. It depends on where the pick lands.
kg01
General Manager

Post#2571 » by kg01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Well, 1st of all, Burd is the #1 Kawhi fan here. You've got a lot of creepy posts to make in order to make up the gap between you and her. (Burd is like, "What the ..?")

2nd, if we can trade the mystery box for the player we're trying to 'get' with the mystery box, why wouldn't you do it?

Obviously acquiring Leonard accelerates the r'build. As I've been saying all along, and as that mythical bald bas'tid otherwise known as our GM has been hintimating, we don't plan on being in the gutter for long. Surely they'd exhaust the mystery boxes to acquire them #2/3 dudes to thrust the Hawks into win-now mode. Why would that be a bad thing?

I should preface this by saying I'd imagine any trade would be contingent on positive extension talks with Leonard. He'll be our 2018 Joe Johnson acquisition with the caveat being he's arguably a top 2-3 player in the game as opposed to just an all-star caliber guy. Why would we say no to that in favor of living in the mystery boxes?

C'mon @spud2! We ain't the Suns, Magic or Kangs. We ain't buying lottery tickets as a retirement "plan"!
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#2572 » by Spud2nique » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:33 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Well, 1st of all, Burd is the #1 Kawhi fan here. You've got a lot of creepy posts to make in order to make up the gap between you and her. (Burd is like, "What the ..?")

2nd, if we can trade the mystery box for the player we're trying to 'get' with the mystery box, why wouldn't you do it?

Obviously acquiring Leonard accelerates the r'build. As I've been saying all along, and as that mythical bald bas'tid otherwise known as our GM has been hintimating, we don't plan on being in the gutter for long. Surely they'd exhaust the mystery boxes to acquire them #2/3 dudes to thrust the Hawks into win-now mode. Why would that be a bad thing?

I should preface this by saying I'd imagine any trade would be contingent on positive extension talks with Leonard. He'll be our 2018 Joe Johnson acquisition with the caveat being he's arguably a top 2-3 player in the game as opposed to just an all-star caliber guy. Why would we say no to that in favor of living in the mystery boxes?

C'mon @spud2! We ain't the Suns, Magic or Kangs. We ain't buying lottery tickets as a retirement "plan"!

Well I’m not gonna give this post an “and 1” because I’m the closest thing Kawhi has to brother/fan. He had me at hello at SDSU...ok maybe this is a lil creepy, sorry folks...go ahead Burd take him ...as I clearly need to re-evaluate my life...

We are definitely not the Suns, Magic or Kings, but we also can’t be the farming system for the Spurs. We got them out of the Splitter contract so they could sign LaCock. That happened but we got screwed with Splitter. I like the Spurs over just about any team in the west but we can’t do this deal ...it’s just too big of a risk in my opinion.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#2573 » by Spud2nique » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Sorry I will go ahead and give that kg post and AND1 ...thought he was calling me creepy..lol
kg01
General Manager

Post#2574 » by kg01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Sorry I will go ahead and give that kg post and AND1 ...thought he was calling me creepy..lol

Nah, I was saying you need to go further down Creep Street to supplant Burd. Creep Street is that dimly-lit section of cul-de-sac junction. Mace frequents that corridor, emphasis on 'freak'. Ha :lol:

On topic, I do agree that we can't be the farm system for SAS but I'm only suggesting trading 2 1sts (one of which is a glorified 2nd) and I'm shipping Bumlee out so I don't think it's that egregious.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#2575 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:46 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Ha.
The mystery box or the mystery injury??? Pick your poison.
I guess it depends on what the price tag is, if its multi 1sts, Prince, Collins etc - too much. (Look at the PG and Butler deals). I think if it's pick 1-4/5, we keep it.
Again after we get him, what's our next move? Which FAs do we target to win now?
I would agree that extension talks would be part of the discussion but I doubt he picks up his option since the cap will be higher in 2019 and he'll be eligible for 30% of the cap. That means it's a 1 year guarantee for the Hawks - is that a risk you are willing to take?

It's very tempting though!!!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#2576 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Well I’m not gonna give this post an “and 1” because I’m the closest thing Kawhi has to brother/fan. He had me at hello at SDSU...ok maybe this is a lil creepy, sorry folks...go ahead Burd take him ...as I clearly need to re-evaluate my life...

We are definitely not the Suns, Magic or Kings, but we also can’t be the farming system for the Spurs. We got them out of the Splitter contract so they could sign LaCock. That happened but we got screwed with Splitter. I like the Spurs over just about any team in the west but we can’t do this deal ...it’s just too big of a risk in my opinion.

Spurs sending us another injured player, hey Splitter. :(
jayu70
RealGM

Post#2577 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:51 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Sorry I will go ahead and give that kg post and AND1 ...thought he was calling me creepy..lol

Nah, I was saying you need to go further down Creep Street to supplant Burd. Creep Street is that dimly-lit section of cul-de-sac junction. Mace frequents that corridor, emphasis on 'freak'. Ha :lol:

On topic, I do agree that we can't be the farm system for SAS but I'm only suggesting trading 2 1sts (one of which is a glorified 2nd) and I'm shipping Bumlee out so I don't think it's that egregious.

If its a top 1-3 pick, we can trade down some, 6/7 and get another pick also. Then trade 6/7 for Kawhi.
That way all our eggs aren't in the proverbial one basket.
kg01
General Manager

Post#2578 » by kg01 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Ha.
The mystery box or the mystery injury??? Pick your poison.
I guess it depends on what the price tag is, if its multi 1sts, Prince, Collins etc - too much. (Look at the PG and Butler deals). I think if it's pick 1-4/5, we keep it.
Again after we get him, what's our next move? Which FAs do we target to win now?
I would agree that extension talks would be part of the discussion but I doubt he picks up his option since the cap will be higher in 2019 and he'll be eligible for 30% of the cap. That means it's a 1 year guarantee for the Hawks - is that a risk you are willing to take?

It's very tempting though!!!

Agree with all this. Only thing I'd add is I was listening to Eddie Johnson talking about the quad injury last year. He described it as one of the more painful injuries he faced and, at that time, he said Leonard's recovery would take longer than most people thought. IOW, it's playing out pretty much as it should. He should be fine next season. TIFWIW

It is indeed a hefty price to pay but shiiiii ... scared money don't make no money, Burd. I wouldn't give up Prince and Collins and 2 1sts but I'd certainly give up Prince and 2 1sts. If SAS is willing to accept the 2 late 1sts (I wouldn't if I were them), it's a no-brainer.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#2579 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter

He can only get a SuperMax from the Spurs.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#2580 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm

I can't fathom paying any player not named LeBron the supermax.

If I'm SAS, there's no way I'd pay that much for Kawhi.

Trade him to BOS for Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and the Lakers/SAC pick.

Return to Atlanta Hawks