ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,387

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#41 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:59 pm

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:We have to reestablish the winning process as soon as next year. No one says it has to start with some over priced Vet like Horford. He won't come back to a losing situation anyway let alone back to Atlanta. It will probably take 2-3 years of winning and possible accomplishing something in the playoffs to turn some head on the free agent market. To delay this process for another 2-3 years is just suicide. I strongly believe that this current group of players can easily make the playoffs without any veteran additions next year. Let this group play and grow together another couple of years and see what happens. If the Hawk's significantly improve over this 2 year period and we find something in the draft during that time frame, free agent will start to take notice. And this is how you build a contender.

I say it starts with Al Horford. Then Boogie Cousins if available.

Why would either choose the Hawks over a contender?

What contender or potential this summer has the cap space for them? They want to be paid, they have to look at the secondary market. There are max guys, semi max guys like Harris and Middleton and then high risk big ticket guys like Al and Cousins. They will have suitors but it won't be many. We should be one of them with the biggest purse. I like our odds.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#42 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:04 pm

King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:I say it starts with Al Horford. Then Boogie Cousins if available.

What contender or potential this summer has the cap space for them? They want to be paid, they have to look at the secondary market. There are max guys, semi max guys like Harris and Middleton and then high risk big ticket guys like Al and Cousins. They will have suitors but it won't be many. We should be one of them with the biggest purse. I like our odds.

Al isn't a free agent anyway. Cousins isn't signing here.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#43 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:05 pm

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Why would either choose the Hawks over a contender?

Player option which he will take.
Boogie will follow the money
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#44 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:09 pm

King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:What contender or potential this summer has the cap space for them? They want to be paid, they have to look at the secondary market. There are max guys, semi max guys like Harris and Middleton and then high risk big ticket guys like Al and Cousins. They will have suitors but it won't be many. We should be one of them with the biggest purse. I like our odds.

Isn't Al due like $30 mil next year? and You think he is going to turn it down to play in Atlanta for what? More than $30 Mil per year? If you think Schlenk is going to offer 34 year Al horford a multi year contract worth over $30 mil per year, I don't know what to tell you.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#45 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:14 pm

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Al isn't a free agent anyway. Cousins isn't signing here.

Isn't Al due like $30 mil next year? and You think he is going to turn it down to play in Atlanta for what? More than $30 Mil per year? If you think Schlenk is going to offer 34 year Al horford a multi year contract worth over $30 mil per year, I don't know what to tell you.

Boston wants to add him to the NO deal. He will opt out.

I want to make him well paid. Yes. But not 30 million but yes, he will be well paid. It will be genius as well. The benefits of Trae, Kevin, John and whichever SFs we selected will make it more than worth it. You want the best Trae, John and Kevin right?

You want the perfect modern 5 via Steve Kerr right?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,000

Post#46 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:15 pm

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:We have to reestablish the winning process as soon as next year. No one says it has to start with some over priced Vet like Horford. He won't come back to a losing situation anyway let alone back to Atlanta. It will probably take 2-3 years of winning and possible accomplishing something in the playoffs to turn some head on the free agent market. To delay this process for another 2-3 years is just suicide. I strongly believe that this current group of players can easily make the playoffs without any veteran additions next year. Let this group play and grow together another couple of years and see what happens. If the Hawk's significantly improve over this 2 year period and we find something in the draft during that time frame, free agent will start to take notice. And this is how you build a contender.

I say it starts with Al Horford. Then Boogie Cousins if available.

They won't. And Al is not a FA and Al is not coming back here, no matter how much Supes litter EVERY thread with it.
No to Al, if he opts out it'll be to resign with Boston on a longer deal with less annual salary.
Just say No to Al in A.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#47 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:15 pm

King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:Player option which he will take.

I want to make him well paid. Yes. But not 30 million but yes, he will be well paid. It will be genius as well. The benefits of Trae, Kevin, John and whichever SFs we selected will make it more than worth it.

So what will they pay him then for him to not want $30 mil?
King Ken
General Manager

Post#48 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:16 pm

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Isn't Al due like $30 mil next year? and You think he is going to turn it down to play in Atlanta for what? More than $30 Mil per year? If you think Schlenk is going to offer 34 year Al horford a multi year contract worth over $30 mil per year, I don't know what to tell you.

I want to make him well paid. Yes. But not 30 million but yes, he will be well paid. It will be genius as well. The benefits of Trae, Kevin, John and whichever SFs we selected will make it more than worth it.

30 million a year for a player in his mid 30s is bad no matter how good but in 20-23 on a descending deal is great.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#49 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:18 pm

jayu70 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:I say it starts with Al Horford. Then Boogie Cousins if available.

They won't. And Al is not a FA and Al is not coming back here, no matter how much Supes litter EVERY thread with it.
No to Al, if he opts out it'll be to resign with Boston on a longer deal with less annual salary.
Just say No to Al in A.

They will choose money.

Al will be an FA, believe me, he will. Ainge is going all in for AD and Al is not going to take 10 to 12 mil a year.

We pay 20-23 mil per. Al is ours. At the end of the day, Al is about his paper
Say heck yes to Al! That's the movement and the army
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#50 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:19 pm

King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:Boston wants to add him to the NO deal. He will opt out.

30 million a year for a player in his mid 30s is bad no matter how good but in 20-23 on a descending deal is great.

So they offer him $20-23 mil per year for what length? 2 years? 3 year? What?
King Ken
General Manager

Post#51 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:20 pm

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:So what will they pay him then for him to not want $30 mil?

So they offer him $20-23 mil per year for what length? 2 years? 3 year? What?

3 years. He will be 36 and Alpha Kaba will be ready to start at this point.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#52 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:21 pm

King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Just say No to Al in A.

They will choose money.

Al will be an FA, believe me, he will. Ainge is going all in for AD and Al is not going to take 10 to 12 mil a year.

Just like Al was going to resign in Atlanta :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep dreaming Supes.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#53 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:22 pm

jayu70 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:They won't. And Al is not a FA and Al is not coming back here, no matter how much Supes litter EVERY thread with it.
Just say No to Al in A.

They will choose money.

Keep dreaming Supes.

I will keep dreaming till it's a reality which is in July 2019, the Boss aka El Jefe will be back.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#54 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:25 pm

King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
King Ken wrote:They will choose money.

Keep dreaming Supes.

I will keep dreaming till it's a reality which is in July 2019, the Boss aka El Jefe will be back.

Only in your world Supes, a world where you think Al is better than Karl Malone, so what do I know. I'll leave you be with your dreams and pie in the sky wishes.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#55 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:26 pm

ob·ses·sion
[əbˈseSHən]
NOUN

the state of being obsessed with someone or something.
"she cared for him with a devotion bordering on obsession"
an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.
"he was in the grip of an obsession he was powerless to resist"
synonyms:
fixation · ruling/consuming passion · passion · mania · idée fixe · compulsion · preoccupation · enthusiasm · infatuation · addiction · fetish · craze · [more]
King Ken
General Manager

Post#56 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:30 pm

jayu70 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Just like Al was going to resign in Atlanta :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep dreaming Supes.

Only in your world Supes, a world where you think Al is better than Karl Malone, so what do I know. I'll leave you be with your dreams and pie in the sky wishes.

I see the game differently. I see the value of Karl but Al does so much for winning Basketball and he makes the guys around him much better. There has been no one like him and I find it extremely valuable. Just because I find it more valuable than what Karl or Karl Jr aka Collins can do doesn't mean I think lowly of them. I just like Horford game and impact more for how I like the game

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshabit.com/2019/01/28/boston-celtics-how-al-horford-figures-into-beating-leagues-elites/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celticsblog.com/platform/amp/2019/2/5/18202643/the-quiet-brilliance-al-horford-boston-celtics-brad-stevens-kyrie-irving-warriors-thunder-adams-nba
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#57 » by High 5 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:37 pm

King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Just say No to Al in A.

They will choose money.

You say "Al is about his paper" but also say he's going to give up $7-10 million next season to come to a bottom 5 team that he already had a messy divorce with. He may earn a little more on the extra years, but not enough to bring him back here.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#58 » by High 5 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:45 pm

King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
King Ken wrote:I will keep dreaming till it's a reality which is in July 2019, the Boss aka El Jefe will be back.

I see the game differently. I see the value of Karl but Al does so much for winning Basketball and he makes the guys around him much better. There has been no one like him and I find it extremely valuable. Just because I find it more valuable than what Karl or Karl Jr aka Collins can do doesn't mean I think lowly of them. I just like Horford game and impact more for how I like the game

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshabit.com/2019/01/28/boston-celtics-how-al-horford-figures-into-beating-leagues-elites/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celticsblog.com/platform/amp/2019/2/5/18202643/the-quiet-brilliance-al-horford-boston-celtics-brad-stevens-kyrie-irving-warriors-thunder-adams-nba

You do see the game differently. Like how you didn't think Collins would be a starting caliber player, but you're sure that a 23-year-old 60th pick who has never played in the NBA is the heir apparent at center.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,059

Post#59 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 7:52 pm

I voted for #1 because 2 lott, 5 picks and youth put together by master drafter TS. Voted #1; but coulda voted for all because I want to get 4 nice players from the draft, make the playoffs and watch the kids grow.

My early offseason. Let TS draft. It seems to be his strength

Draft: Best wing / best center. Cam/KJ/Culver... and Bol/Fernando; whoever TS thinks is best. I also like Bitadze and Coby White as late first or second round picks. Four rookies in my plan.

FA: Beverly or Lin

Bol / Len / Bitadze / Plum
Collins / Omari
Cam / Prince
Heurt / Baze / Bembry
Trae / Beverly / White

Very doable and if our young guys are so good, we are trying to win
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,439

Post#60 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Feb 9, 2019 8:40 pm

Tired of the OCD talk with Al and tanking. One is happening while the other is not, just the realization of the matter. Noel has a 1.9m po so he would fit in with what Pierce needs in a defensive big. WCS is another young big to look at tho he's RFA, but doesn't seem to be in Sac's future plans.

Go ahead and ink Lin for two more seasons. I think it would be ideal for GMS to deal Baze, Plumlee, or even Len for a contract and assets that go through 2021 where you set yourself up for that FA class. You just don't want any parts of the 2020 FA class.

Return to Atlanta Hawks