ImageImage

Update: Hawks give Collins permission to seek trade per Stein

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Re: Shams: Hawks "opened up preliminary trade discussions" for Collins 

Post#81 » by D21 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:43 am

I don't know if it's what they looked at but there's a reason the asking price should be high, but it can also a reason to not have to trade him because why would you want to trade the player with whom you performing the most?

At least, it clears now that they are selling him for nothing, like most media were thinking looking back at most fantasy trades they wrote until now.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,693

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

It’s almost certainly some combination of bluff and bluster on the part of the Hawks but it’s also at least a partial indication that they understand Collins’ potential is greater than the production they’re currently getting out of him.

Remember that in the interrupted 2019-20 season, Collins averaged 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.6 blocks per game, shooting 58.3 percent from the field and 40.1 percent from beyond the arc. That was also Trae Young’s second season and real emergence, and over the past three seasons as Young as has exerted more and more offensive primacy, Collins’ numbers have declined across the board.

But in their trade valuation, the Hawks seem to be at least tacitly acknowledging that the way they’ve been using him is driving that drop in production and effectiveness more than any decline in his skills or abilities.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:07 pm

Landry about to join that long list of GMs to be swindled by Danny Ainge. :nonono:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,011

Post#84 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Landry about to join that long list of GMs to be swindled by Danny Ainge. :nonono:

Read on Twitter
:nonono: It's a bad enough deal without including a 1st.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,067

Post#85 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:45 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

It’s almost certainly some combination of bluff and bluster on the part of the Hawks but it’s also at least a partial indication that they understand Collins’ potential is greater than the production they’re currently getting out of him.

Remember that in the interrupted 2019-20 season, Collins averaged 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.6 blocks per game, shooting 58.3 percent from the field and 40.1 percent from beyond the arc. That was also Trae Young’s second season and real emergence, and over the past three seasons as Young as has exerted more and more offensive primacy, Collins’ numbers have declined across the board.

But in their trade valuation, the Hawks seem to be at least tacitly acknowledging that the way they’ve been using him is driving that drop in production and effectiveness more than any decline in his skills or abilities.

"A sign that they are not using him correctly". True and a huge indictment on this org and coach. pitiful that major league sports teams can be so mishandled
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Re: Update: Hawks give Collins permission to seek trade per Stein 

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:06 am

Read on Twitter

jayu70
RealGM

Post#87 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:00 am

Schultz: Hawks at the trade deadline — ‘We can’t be .500 and not be open to change

“At this point, there are many moving parts that makes it a challenge to say what we will do,” general manager Landry Fields said in a text message. “I’m not sure what traditional bucket — buyer, seller, etc. — we will fall into. We are open. Something we are definitely looking at is bringing in more defined characteristics that we want to build with into the future: basketball IQ, workers, to name only a couple. Don’t read that like we don’t have it, because we do. But we want certain attributes to start defining our players a bit more.”Asked if any of Atlanta’s players should be considered off-limits, Fields responded: “We can’t be a .500 ball club and not be open to change. Obviously, some guys are less moveable for a variety of reasons, but we will be all ears.”

Fields’ comments about the need for more high-IQ guys, even relative role players, are interesting. But those are big-picture roster changes that often are easier to make in the summer. Similarly, it’s easier to trade players with big contracts in the offseason when other teams are reshaping their rosters.

Collins has said repeatedly that he wants to stay in Atlanta. He said he has been given “clarity” from the organization.

What does that mean?

“I feel like a lot of stuff going on right now is rumors. The organization has been great. Many times they’ve told me they want me to be here and be a cornerstone of the franchise. So again, what I’m handling and doing here is different from what you guys know because of what I’m being told and the experiences I’m having.”

Have they actually said they’re not trading you?

“I don’t know if that’s been said specifically, but it’s been conveyed that they want me here. It’s just a messy situation at this point, and the less they can speak about it the better. If I’m here, I’m here. If I’m gone, and I have to start somewhere else … but the feeling in the conversations I’ve had with them, I’m a Hawk and they want me to be here.

“It’s been an ongoing issue for three years,” Collins said. “So I have to deal with it. Like my momma told me when I was growing up: ‘Suck it up.’”

https://theathletic.com/4120972/2023/01/24/hawks-trade-deadline-john-collins/
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#88 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:13 pm

Tweet of the day:

Read on Twitter
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by D21 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:55 am

From Shams on The Athletic article :
"When the Jazz and Hawks discussed a Collins deal early in the season, Atlanta asked for Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt, according to sources. The Jazz countered by asking for a first-round pick in return, and when the Hawks declined, talks stalled."

I just can't believe that Hawks started with asking Beasley and Vanderbilt when negotiating with Ainge. They should know they should have been the one asking for a first pick too, so Ainge would fell like he wins it a bit if he doesn't have to send a first :D

More seriously, how they can ask for these two players, the last time I checked, they were the two players with the worst Net rating among the rotation players of UTA.
How can you offer the your best Net rating player for the two worst of another team (that is not a top team) ?
Even if they would be a good fit, which I don't believe, how can you start with that ?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,201

Post#90 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:21 pm

D21 wrote:From Shams on The Athletic article :
"When the Jazz and Hawks discussed a Collins deal early in the season, Atlanta asked for Malik Beasley and Jarred Vanderbilt, according to sources. The Jazz countered by asking for a first-round pick in return, and when the Hawks declined, talks stalled."

I just can't believe that Hawks started with asking Beasley and Vanderbilt when negotiating with Ainge. They should know they should have been the one asking for a first pick too, so Ainge would fell like he wins it a bit if he doesn't have to send a first :D

More seriously, how they can ask for these two players, the last time I checked, they were the two players with the worst Net rating among the rotation players of UTA.
How can you offer the your best Net rating player for the two worst of another team (that is not a top team) ?
Even if they would be a good fit, which I don't believe, how can you start with that ?
Now, I want to know if Landry Fields strongly supported the trade.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:53 pm

Read on Twitter
D21
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by D21 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 6:21 am

HMFFL wrote:
D21 wrote:From Shams on The Athletic article :

Now, I want to know if Landry Fields strongly supported the trade.

Right, the way they slowly changed front office is not giving us knowledge of who wanted to do this or that and who didn't in the last 8 months.
But as Fields and Ressler Jr won the battle for the Murray trade, I tend to think everything that was talked about after that was coming from them, and not Schlenk
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#93 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 2, 2023 3:23 pm

Hawks lower John Collins asking price; Jazz, Rockets remain interested

Collins is the most likely one on the way out, of course, and it's worth repeating that the asking price is known to have decreased significantly from recent years (per league sources, there is a focus on landing a quality player, or players, in return but no mandate for a first-round pick). 

That development is clearly a reflection of the focus on salvaging this season, as opposed to recouping the vast assets lost in the Murray trade with San Antonio in the summer. As we've reported recently, the Jazz and Rockets are known to be among the teams in pursuit [of Collins].

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-hawks-lower-john-collins-asking-price-jazz-rockets-remain-interested/amp/

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 4, 2023 2:57 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#95 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 4, 2023 4:01 pm

We have handled John Collins poorly. The situation is very odd. We know he's not currently worth what the asking price has been and we haven't done ourselves any favors when he plays. 10 field goal attempts per game and our front office has expected to receive a lottery pick for Collins.

Move the guy already! Give five more attempts to Hunter per game and spread the other five around.

John Collins will be used properly by another team. They probably won't win with him if he received 15 attempts per game but he can be their problem.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 1:22 pm

Poor kid.

He was so close.

Read on Twitter

Or not...

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#97 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 9, 2023 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#98 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 9:00 pm

-
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=mVbQQQ-ReseXfYD42KvocA

Glad you are still here JC. The consummate professional.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#99 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=JUjuEggKZ0XVA_BR3ESOmA
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=JUjuEggKZ0XVA_BR3ESOmA
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#100 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:53 am

I credit John for being mature and playing. Some players in his situation would say they're not playing until they're actually traded. This has been going on for too long.

Return to Atlanta Hawks