ImageImage

Lettuce Discuss Motiejunas

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Lettuce Discuss Motiejunas 

Post#1 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:58 pm

So i was watching the Rockets/OKC game last night, and I saw this guy. I never heard of him or know anything about him. One of the announcers said "I cant believe they havent played this 7 footer more"

I did a double take, 7.0? Hes listed on rotoworld as a SF/PF, 7.0 225 lbs.

He looks really athletic, really nice touch around the basket. Saw some nice jump hooks and decent footwork.

Word is he wants to leave, the Rockets must be stocked with 7footers who dont play and want a trade.

Being a Euro, 7Ft, should we take a look at him? I liked what I Saw from him much more than I ever saw out of Asik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatas_Motiej%C5%ABnas
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Re: Lettuce Discuss Motiejunas 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:30 pm

Knowing absolutely nothing about this guy, I say yes. Our front court right now (besides Millsap) is pretty terrible.

You can't teach tall. We tend to to do well with Euro players. We have a couple of 2nd round picks to spare. The Center position on our team is...underwhelming. We were thin before Horford went down, our depth at Center now is downright abysmal.

I'd rather try this guy out (sounds like he's similar in size and style to Bebe) than re-sign Ivan which would essentially just be a stop-gap move.

On a related note: did you guys hear that Ivan the terrible was BALLIN' in China. Avg 25ppg and 10rpg?!?
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#3 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:34 pm

Did you watch any of the Ivan Johnson youtube videos, hes playing against guys 6'1'' lol There was one where he did the BIG BALLS dance after burying a 3 recently.

I loved Ivan, but again hes a stop gap. Im not sure he would fit into this culture either.

I really like this 7.0 guy , I wonder if we are talking to them about him
parson
RealGM
And1: 469

Post#4 » by parson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 pm

I've watched Motiejunas play. He has the talent to be a decent Center but is misplayed at PF. He'll never be quick enough to defend good PFs. I've tried to look up his measurables but can't find anything. To my eyes, he appears long enough.

The problem is he doesn't seem to enjoy the physical side of inside play. He is a lousy rebounder, mostly because he doesn't want to get his nose bloodied. I don't think he's scared of rough play but he certainly doesn't like it. In the past, my impression has been that he gets the most excited in making a great pass. I think he may dream of being Larry Bird. I have not watched him play this year, so I don't know how he's presently trying to play.

Still, I agree that it'd be nice to take a shot at developing him into a Center. But if he only wants to play PF, I'd pass.

As for Ivan, I absolutely love the guy. However, if we sign Ivan, we sit Mike Scott. You can only have one 6'7" PF on a team. I think I'd rather stay with Scott, who I think has more potential.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart, in the film "Harvey")
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#5 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea3ieH5THu0

Highlights from last night. Can shoot the 3. at 1:03 nice little running hook in the lane. Now granted this is versus a very small OKC team, but I like what I saw for a 7 footer.

Older video vs Spurs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2yFtssXVc

More I see, more i like. Doesnt look like he handles the ball well at all, but post and pick looks good.
parson
RealGM

Post#6 » by parson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Bear in mind, since he's actively trying to get traded, we're going to see him at his best for the next few games.
My mother told me, she said, "Elwood, to make it in this world you either have to be oh, so clever or oh, so pleasant." Well, for years I was clever; I recommend pleasant.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#7 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:08 pm

parson wrote:Bear in mind, since he's actively trying to get traded, we're going to see him at his best for the next few games.

And hopefully for a few games after getting traded, also. :)

parson wrote:I've watched Motiejunas play. He has the talent to be a decent Center but is misplayed at PF. He'll never be quick enough to defend good PFs. I've tried to look up his measurables but can't find anything. To my eyes, he appears long enough.

The problem is he doesn't seem to enjoy the physical side of inside play. He is a lousy rebounder, mostly because he doesn't want to get his nose bloodied. I don't think he's scared of rough play but he certainly doesn't like it. In the past, my impression has been that he gets the most excited in making a great pass.

Sounds like Bargnani (which wouldn't be a bad thing.)

Strengths: Lefty with excellent offensive potential ... Loves to face the basket from the perimeter. Can score from inside and outside … Good ball handling ability for a big man … Quick first step allows him to get by opponents ... Good at timing his jumps to contest shots … Runs the floor well, especially for a seven-footer … Can be a mismatch nightmare for opposing teams … Can shoot the three … Capable of creating his own offense … Polished footwork

Weaknesses: Poor rebounder for a big man. At times it appears he's averse to doing the "dirty work" … Defense could use a lot of work, at times looks uninterested in defending … Can be punished in the post

http://nbadraft.net/players/donatas-motiejunas
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:15 pm

At this point, I say go for it. Either straight up or as a throw in with Omer Asik.

Panda, I assume you'll forward this trade over to DFerry. :wink:

Seriously, though. The more I watch, read about this kid...the more I believe we might be on to something. He and Bebe could be a twin tower type of duo off the bench. Two 7-footers rocking the inside out combo. They would match up well with Horford and Mike Scott. And if we bring back Elton Brand, that more than covers their deficiencies inside.

I really, REALLY like this guy. I always thought Bargnani would play better if he could get away from TOR. He's had a few impressive games in NY. I suspect Motie could have a revival of sorts on a team with a need (and a use) for jump shooting big men.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#9 » by PandaKidd » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:At this point, I say go for it. Either straight up or as a throw in with Omer Asik.

Panda, I assume you'll forward this trade over to DFerry. :wink:

Got him on speed dial :lol:

Seriously, though. The more I watch, read about this kid...the more I believe we might be on to something. He and Bebe could be a twin tower type of duo off the bench. Two 7-footers rocking the inside out combo. They would match up well with Horford and Mike Scott. And if we bring back Elton Brand, that more than covers their deficiencies inside.

I agree hes not the END ALL BE ALL to our problems, but a young, athletic, polished offensive 7 Footer who can run and plays Euro style ball.................seems too good to be true for a Spurs Type system. His contract is doable too, i think its 4.2 million for 3 years?

I really, REALLY like this guy. I always thought Bargnani would play better if he could get away from TOR. He's had a few impressive games in NY. I suspect Motie could have a revival of sorts on a team with a need (and a use) for jump shooting big men.

What i like about the scouting report is we can teach defense. Defense is something you can coach, its hard to coach IQ. But Defense, especially in a system type role, is doable.

I was just watching the game last night and I thought WOW id rather have him over Asik......
Skyhawk1
Starter
And1: 102

Post#10 » by Skyhawk1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 pm

PandaKidd wrote: Can shoot the 3.
:lol: His 3pt FG% is probably worse than D. Howard's.
GO HAWKS.
diesel50
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Post#11 » by diesel50 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Montiejunas has the same problem a lot of bigs have. He can't put on weight. He needs to hang out with Shawn Kemp and eat Fried Chicken, Waffles, and Mash Potatoes all day.

However, the solve for the Hawks at big... aside from Gortat... may be Greg Monroe.
The one problem that Detroit has is that they signed Smoove to big money... and the PG too. Nobody will trade for Smoove. So... if they really like Drummond, then Monroe may be fish food before his contract comes up. What I mean by that is that they will start looking at trades. The question is can we trade for Monroe?
What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ****' a-holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your freakin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm

^I do like Monroe as well, but he has some limitations. Lack of foot speed/lateral movement. Lack of range offensively. He needs shooters on the floor (and in the front court with him) to allow him to operate inside.

He'd pair well with Horford OR Motiejunas.
parson
RealGM

Post#13 » by parson » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:35 am

But, as I was pointing out, what if he doesn't like to play? Remember Boris Diaw?
karl25
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#14 » by karl25 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:03 pm

[quote="PandaKidd"]
I think Celtics or Atlanta will land Motiejunas.
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#15 » by Vator » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:03 pm

diesel50 wrote:Montiejunas has the same problem a lot of bigs have. He can't put on weight. He needs to hang out with Shawn Kemp and eat Fried Chicken, Waffles, and Mash Potatoes all day.
However, the solve for the Hawks at big... aside from Gortat... may be Greg Monroe.
The one problem that Detroit has is that they signed Smoove to big money... and the PG too. Nobody will trade for Smoove. So... if they really like Drummond, then Monroe may be fish food before his contract comes up. What I mean by that is that they will start looking at trades. The question is can we trade for Monroe?

FYI, D. Mo gained somewhere between 15-30 pounds this past offseason depending on who or what you believe. See pics below.

diesel50
Pro Prospect
And1: 15

Post#16 » by diesel50 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 pm

[quote="Vator"]

FYI, D. Mo gained somewhere between 15-30 pounds this past offseason depending on who or what you believe. See pics below.

I stand corrected. Maybe he did spend some time with Shawn Kemp!!! That being the case, I would like him, Asik, Gortat, or Monroe. He, of course, may be the easy to get.
What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ****' a-holes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your freakin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy."
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Vator » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 pm

diesel50 wrote:
Vator wrote:

I stand corrected. Maybe he did spend some time with Shawn Kemp!!! That being the case, I would like him, Asik, Gortat, or Monroe. He, of course, may be the easy to get.

Yeah Russel Crowe as some like to refer to him as hit the weights hard over the summer. They just never updated his official listed weight. Seems like most guys are listed the same size their entire careers for some reason lol.
PandaKidd
Analyst

Post#18 » by PandaKidd » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:40 pm

karl25 wrote:
PandaKidd wrote:Being a Euro, 7Ft, should we take a look at him? I liked what I Saw from him much more than I ever saw out of Asik.

really?

Both want out of Houston.I think Celtics or Atlanta will land Asik and Motiejunas.

Yes, really.

Asik makes 11 million a year, Motie makes 1.2? SOLD.

Motie also has much more offensive polish than Asik, its not even debatable. He can shoot the 3, ive seen games where he can hit them.
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#19 » by theatlfan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Uh, guys, let's slow the roll here with Montiejunas. 9 out of 10 players in similar situations don't finish off his rookie deal with the team that drafted him (and the next team wasn't exactly trading for value). His shooting numbers are woeful and I don't recall him ever sustaining an injury that would limit his game for the short term stretches we've seen. His limited time doesn't really stand out as someone who deserves more PT - rather as someone who'd be out if the NBA in a few years.

Unless he's being included as filler in a deal (or as a straight salary dump), I don't see DF looking to acquire him for any reason.
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Vator » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:54 pm

Yeah, he has been very inconsistent. Has shown flashes of being a good rotation player and then looks like a complete scrub. He has amazing post moves and can finish with either hand with a variety of moves and shots, but the Rockets almost never post him up and try to make him a stretch 4 which he has not been successful at thus far. He is a good passer and I would say a below average rebounder for his size. He isn't good at defense either although he has made strides recently. Seems to be a hard worker. I still think he has some upside, but theatlfan could be right in assuming he may be out of the league in a few years. I doubt it considering his size, skillset, and work ethic. He needs to find his niche though. He can score, but his other decencies have limited his opportunities.

Return to Atlanta Hawks