ImageImage

Hawks fans: You ready for a [revamped] arena?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Hawks fans: You ready for a [revamped] arena? 

Post#141 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:37 am

Our stadium and business model featured in Forbes.

Atlanta Hawks' Arena Renovation Erases Notion Of Seats And Suites With Fresh Business Blueprint

Twenty years of disjointed, non-experiential viewing in downtown Atlanta’s largest arena, recently renamed State Farm Arena from its previous moniker of Phillips Arena, will be erased when the NBA’s Hawks open home play on Oct. 24.

It took a $200 million renovation, but the former wall of suites that punctuated the 1999-opened design has given way to a half-dozen new seating types, highlighting a major shift in the way fans in Atlanta will take in basketball games and staging what could be a massive shift in arena seating design.

“We saw renovation as innovation,” says Steve Koonin, the Hawks' CEO. “We wanted it to be authentic and be inclusive with a high degree of uniqueness while offering consumers things they wouldn’t expect.”

The unexpected comes in the form of the first courtside club in the NBA, a Killer Mike barbershop overlooking the arena, Top Golf swing suites, loft suites, a social club created by musician Zac Brown and plenty of details that put the focus on community.

Spoiler:
With the Hawks based in the North American city with the third-largest collection of Fortune 500 companies, Koonin says they needed a version of the traditional suites for the likes of UPS, Coca-Cola and Delta Airlines — companies that do extensive entertaining — but they also needed to look at new Atlanta, as he called it, and the rise of tech companies. In that vein, Atlanta partnered with architects HOK to create six unique, multiple-hospitality opportunities of more than three seats, mixing them for the business market that exists today.

During the process, HOK and the Hawks explored everything from Las Vegas pools to the theater-style seating. “The bridges at Madison Square Garden are a thousand feet from the floor, but what people talk about,” Koonin says. “We had to design for tomorrow and adapt for sports.”

Koonin knows the upgrades for 2018 may not be the same for all time. “Unequivocally you build the shell, but you can change the program,” he says. “Some will be trial and error. Some will be enhanced, but we think that for today we have the right mix while leaving ourselves the flexibility over time to adjust.”

Gedney says that the way they worked with local names was about more than borrowing likenesses and instead about partnering with iconic people in a meaningful way. “We are more than just bringing their brand to the venue in a way that is fairly passive,” he says. “State Farm Arena is unique in trying to bring an authentic experience given to the fans by those artists. It makes it more meaningful and authentic.”
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#142 » by ATL Boy » Fri Oct 5, 2018 11:46 pm

I was over just outside the stadium last Thursday, and man it doesn't look close to ready looking on the inside. Apparently there's over 80 people working round the clock and it was six hours ahead of schedule. I have no doubt that it'll be ready on the 15th because that's just the power of money.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#143 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 8, 2018 2:35 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I was over just outside the stadium last Thursday, and man it doesn't look close to ready looking on the inside. Apparently there's over 80 people working round the clock and it was six hours ahead of schedule. I have no doubt that it'll be ready on the 15th because that's just the power of money.

So I guess i should wear my hard hat to opening night? It's going to be interesting to see if it's fully done.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#144 » by MaceCase » Mon Oct 8, 2018 9:28 pm

macd-gm wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:I was over just outside the stadium last Thursday, and man it doesn't look close to ready looking on the inside. Apparently there's over 80 people working round the clock and it was six hours ahead of schedule. I have no doubt that it'll be ready on the 15th because that's just the power of money.

So I guess i should wear my hard hat to opening night? It's going to be interesting to see if it's fully done.

I’d be more concerned about having a respirator, don’t want to have a cameo in a personal injury lawyer’s mesothelioma commercial.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#145 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter

I may swing by with my hard hat.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#146 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:09 pm

jayu70 wrote:I may swing by with my hard hat.

Indeed.

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#147 » by dms269 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:44 pm

The price for food needs to be on point. After going to several United games then going to a UGA game, it is a huge difference. $4 for a souvenir refillable cup v.s. $7 for a souvenir non-refillable.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
macd-gm
Starter

Post#148 » by macd-gm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Indeed.

Read on Twitter

LOL. Holman's whompa head is too big for the hat!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#149 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Indeed.

Read on Twitter

I wonder if I can get one of those hard hats to keep. Will come in handy for work.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#150 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:58 pm

:oops:
dms269 wrote:The price for food needs to be on point. After going to several United games then going to a UGA game, it is a huge difference. $4 for a souvenir refillable cup v.s. $7 for a souvenir non-refillable.

Should be based on this:
When the arena, currently closed for a massive renovation, reopens for the Hawks’ season, prices will be reduced by an average of about 50 percent on 11 popular food and beverage items, Hawks CEO Steve Koonin said. 
macd-gm
Starter

Post#151 » by macd-gm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:29 pm

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#152 » by ATL Boy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:00 pm

Hawks' app has been updated and has a map of the arena and the things inside it. I'll certainly be using it as a handy tool the first couple of times I'm in there.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#153 » by dms269 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:31 pm

macd-gm wrote:Image

$3 for a hot dog? Price gouging much? Daddy Arthur makes it only $2. Uncle Grant trying to steal from us.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
macd-gm
Starter

Post#154 » by macd-gm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 pm

I wonder how long those self serve sodas at the benz will last. My family can share one soda no problem. Also never understand why putting a used cup in a soda dispenser isn't a health code violation.
Robo_Claw
Senior
And1: 639

Post#155 » by Robo_Claw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 pm

macd-gm wrote:I wonder how long those self serve sodas at the benz will last. My family can share one soda no problem. Also never understand why putting a used cup in a soda dispenser isn't a health code violation.

It is. Not sure how they get around that honestly.
norcocredo wrote:It's called the basketball hall of fame not the life hall of fame.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#156 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter

Post#157 » by macd-gm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I love that the Hawks appeal to all the young fans but maybe once a year they could get Gladys Knight out there to do a few songs for the old timers? Whoever they may be.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#158 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Hawks To Sport First-Of-Its-Kind Continuous Centerhung Videoboard At New State Farm Arena

State Farm Arena Will Showcase Over 10x More LED Video in the Transformed Venue Than Before

Renovating everything from the roofline to the baseline, the $192.5 million transformation of State Farm Arena is announcing plans to greatly enhance sightlines this season. The next-generation arena will unveil the first continuous 360-degree video screen in the NBA and be the first arena bowl outfitted with HD-quality, 6mm LED video display technology, allowing for the best fan-viewing experience in any NBA venue. Upgrades also include four massive corner video boards, plus upper and lower fascia displays, bringing the total square feet of video throughout State Farm Arena to an impressive 12,000 square feet, 10 times more LED video than the prior arena configuration.

The new Hawks centerhung main videoboard adds up to a massive 4,477 square feet of active video display, making it one of the three largest in an NBA venue.
NBA.com
jayu70
RealGM

Post#159 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#160 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

<duplicate>

Return to Atlanta Hawks