Tim Hardaway Jr.

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Tim Hardaway Jr. 

Post#81 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Grant would be in the D-League if he was on the Hawks, and Hardaway would have a role if he was still on the Knicks. The writer of this piece doesn't take into account the fact that the Hawks are a veteran team with much higher aspirations than the Knicks this year, playing a system that takes time to be learned (the way Schroder had to take time to learn it, the way Muscala had to take time to learn it, and the way Edy and THJ are taking time to learn it). I guess they let just any amateur write for the NY Post.

These are really good points, ATLBoy. But it is hard to reconcile that guys like Demarre, Lamar Patterson, Cartier Martin have stepped in after a much shorter adjustment period and were able to contribute.

Meanwhile, THJ hasn't even been worth being placed as active for most games.

The treatment he's being given is more in line with how Bud managed Adreian Payne, John Jenkins, and Lou Williams. Guys Bud dumped at the earliest moment.

RHJ, Bobby Portis, Kelly Oubre, Justin Anderson would all likely be in the D League. No doubt. But with three plus additional years under control, it would likely be easier to accept knowing those guys were in the pipeline to eventually replace Thabo, Korver and others.

FYI Oubre has started the last 5 games for the Wizards and is holding his own, check his recent production. He's not looking like a D-League player, his 3&D game is more NBA ready than most of us expected.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#82 » by Tricky_Kid » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:35 am

Oubre is my fav wizard he is ready for NBA no doubt. Decent 3&D, good rebounder and fearless attacking the rim. Thanks I will always be thankful for this trade!!!

Wysłane z mojego LG-P880 przy użyciu Tapatalka
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#83 » by ATL Boy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:34 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Grant would be in the D-League if he was on the Hawks, and Hardaway would have a role if he was still on the Knicks. The writer of this piece doesn't take into account the fact that the Hawks are a veteran team with much higher aspirations than the Knicks this year, playing a system that takes time to be learned (the way Schroder had to take time to learn it, the way Muscala had to take time to learn it, and the way Edy and THJ are taking time to learn it). I guess they let just any amateur write for the NY Post.

These are really good points, ATLBoy. But it is hard to reconcile that guys like Demarre, Lamar Patterson, Cartier Martin have stepped in after a much shorter adjustment period and were able to contribute.

Meanwhile, THJ hasn't even been worth being placed as active for most games.

The treatment he's being given is more in line with how Bud managed Adreian Payne, John Jenkins, and Lou Williams. Guys Bud dumped at the earliest moment.

RHJ, Bobby Portis, Kelly Oubre, Justin Anderson would all likely be in the D League. No doubt. But with three plus additional years under control, it would likely be easier to accept knowing those guys were in the pipeline to eventually replace Thabo, Korver and others.

I don't think it's the same situation right now for THJ as it was for Carroll, Martin, and Patterson.

When Carroll came in it was Coach Bud's first year here, there were no real expectations, and nobody really knew the system, so nobody was really benched for not knowing. Same with Cartier Martin.

As for Patterson, he was with our summer league team he past two seasons so he's had much more time to get used to the system than Hardaway.

I do agree that it's frustrating to have given up a first round pick for Hardaway, after thinking that we only made the move to get a win now piece, when he has been anything but.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:FYI Oubre has started the last 5 games for the Wizards and is holding his own, check his recent production. He's not looking like a D-League player, his 3&D game is more NBA ready than most of us expected.

Tricky_Kid wrote:Oubre is my fav wizard he is ready for NBA no doubt. Decent 3&D, good rebounder and fearless attacking the rim. Thanks I will always be thankful for this trade!!!

Wow! Looking at Oubre's production of late, it definitely burns that we gifted him away just to save A few hundred thousand. He's been great recently. And he's in the division. man. Just....wow. :nonono:
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#85 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:FYI Oubre has started the last 5 games for the Wizards and is holding his own, check his recent production. He's not looking like a D-League player, his 3&D game is more NBA ready than most of us expected.

Tricky_Kid wrote:Oubre is my fav wizard he is ready for NBA no doubt. Decent 3&D, good rebounder and fearless attacking the rim. Thanks I will always be thankful for this trade!!!

Wow! Looking at Oubre's production of late, it definitely burns that we gifted him away just to save A few hundred thousand. He's been great recently. And he's in the division. man. Just....wow. :nonono:

Oubre didn't get PT early on because the Wiz had a lot of wing depth. Some of us were actually throwing around the D-League idea then, because we weren't sure if he'd get any development time this season.

But Porter went down and Oubre slid into the starting SF spot.. and honestly, I'm not sure Porter is ever going to get that spot back (he returned yesterday and Oubre still started). Wittman has said he's already one of the team's best defenders, and he runs the floor + shoots threes, basically a perfect fit next to Wall.

Even if Oubre wasn't playing well or wasn't even the pick, I think that trade was roundly criticized as a bad move at the time. There was some serious error there for Hawks management to value Tim Hardaway Jr as an asset.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:18 pm

After being inactive against his former team:

The Hawks have assigned Tim Hardaway Jr. to the NBA Development League, according to a person familiar with the situation. Hardaway will be assigned to a team based on the league’s flexible assignment system. Hardaway has appeared in just four games this season and averaged 2.5 points, 1.3 rebounds and 0.5 assists in 11.1 minutes.

The Hawks considered playing time, even in the D-League, a valuable part of their player development system.
HERE
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:36 pm

THJ had a big night Tuesday in the D-League. here's hoping this is the start of something good for the young man.

We need him...

Tim Hardaway Jr. scored a game-high 30 points for the Austin Spurs in an NBA Development League victory over the Santa Cruz Warriors Tuesday night.

Hardaway paced the 111-92 victory by shooting 11 of 17 from the floor, including 6 of 11 from 3-point range, in 25 minutes off the bench. The Hawks guard added three assists, three steals, two rebounds and was a plus-17.
Here
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#88 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:32 pm

Maybe he gets to play in one of these two games against the Knicks coming up.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#89 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:15 pm

More from the DLeague:
Tim Hardaway Jr finished with 18 points (5/8 fg) and Walter Tavares added 5 points, 13 rebounds and 4 blocks in an Austin Spurs win last night
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 6, 2016 7:19 pm

THJ finally got some extended PT (double digit minutes, anyway).

He scored 3 points with 1 board and 1 assist. he did have a team best +/- at +12. So, there's that...

Meanwhile, a couple of the rookies we passed on and were linked to throughout the draft process have become contributors for our conference foes:

7. Bobby Portis, Chicago Bulls (#9) - Finding a place in Fred Hoiberg's rotation, the Bulls rookie will likely keep getting minutes whenever Joakim Noah returns from injury. Portis recorded the second double-double of his career against the Knicks on Friday, finishing the game with 16 points and 10 rebounds in 29 minutes. In Chicago's last four games, Portis averaged 11.0 points on 56.7 percent shooting and 7.8 rebounds.

14. Kelly Oubre, Washington Wizards (#12) - An efficient scorer, in Washington's last two games Oubre averaged 5.0 points while shooting 50 percent and 4.3 rebounds in 20.1 minutes. Oubre continues to fill in nicely for the Wizards off the bench.
Here
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,523

Post#91 » by drone3 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:46 am

Still hoping THJ just puts it all together.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by ATL Boy » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Looks like Bud is beginning to trust Hardaway as a regular rotation player. He had a highlight worthy dunk last night, and nice pass to Splitter which resulted in FTs during an offensive dry spell. Missed his only 3 point attempt, but it was followed up by a Scott dunk.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#93 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:34 pm

How Hardaway Jr. earned his way into Hawks’ rotation

Three weeks ago, Tim Hardaway Jr. was on assignment in the NBA Development League.

Now, he has earned his way into the Hawks’ regular rotation with his eighth straight appearance in Wednesday’s 104-98 win over the Trail Blazers.

+How Hardaway Jr. earned his way into Hawks’ rotation photo CURTIS COMPTON
Hawks’ Tim Hardaway Jr. reacts to hitting a 3-pointer against the Magic’s Devyn Marble during the MLK Day basketball game on ... Read More
Here’s how he did it, according to coach Mike Budenholzer.

“He worked so hard,” Budenholzer said before Wednesday’s victory. “We were saying how hard he was working and when he’s not playing it’s hard to believe it or appreciate it or both.

“I think he really put in time in the weight room. He missed a little bit of the summer with his (injured) wrist. His athleticism, his pop, which is one of the things that intrigued us about him, has returned. Then, he’s just working defensively. He’s getting over screens, fighting through screens. He just really understands how important it is to be good defensively and you see it when he’s playing. He’s communicating. He’s talking. He’s working. On the offensive end, he’s just letting it come to him.”

So the offensive talent earned his way with his defensive improvement.

Hardaway’s lack of playing time this season has been well-documented. The Hawks traded their first-round pick in June’s NBA Draft to acquire the shooting guard. When he appeared in just four of the Hawks’ first 35 games, the move came under great speculation. The Hawks coaching staff and management preached patience as they got Hardaway in their player development system.

Hardaway said Wednesday his emergence has been a combination of understanding the team’s defensive system and getting healthy.

“It’s a little bit of both but it’s also the wanting,” Hardaway said. “You put your mind to it then it comes a lot easier. That’s what I’ve focused on and it’s helped me get in the lineup and I make sure that it all falls into place when I’m on the floor.”

Hardaway played 10:40 against the Trail Blazers and missed his only shot. He added one assist and one blocked shot. Still in the past eight games he has scored 32 points, including three eight-point performances. He has done so on 12 of 29 shooting with five 3-pointers. Hardaway has added 12 assists and seven rebounds and averaged 15.5 minutes. Hardaway is known for his outside shot but he contributed a couple thunderous dunks to this total.

“It feels great but it doesn’t stop there,” Hardaway said of his strides on defense. “There are always things to work on and learn from. I’m learning from Thabo (Sefolosha) and (Kent) Bazemore when they are out there. They are talking to me while I’m on the bench and figuring out ways I can make myself better on that end of the floor.”

Hardaway added he is letting the offense come to him.

“In this offense when you have the opportunity to shoot the ball, you have to deliver,” he said. “I feel like I’m there right now. I can do better. It’s a progress each and every day, each and every game. I just trying to get better.”

Budenholzer said Wednesday that, for the most part, he has settled on the current rotation of 10 players. Hardaway Jr. is one of them. He could be a big plus for the Hawks going forward as part of the wing rotation.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/basketball/how-hardaway-jr-earned-his-way-into-hawks-rotation/np8wq/
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Good read. Thanks for the link.

But be careful copying entire articles from the paper. Especially with myajc.com technically being a pay site.

I'm definitely glad THJ is in the rotation at last. Hopefully he can put together a nice run and claim a position moving forward. He likely only has 3 more months of basketball before the team must decide on his future for the 2017-2018 season.

One of my fave insider sites sees it as unlikely THJ gets extended again this summer, based on what we've seen thus far:

Still, Hardaway has seen action in only 12 NBA games this season, and while he’s eligible for a rookie scale extension this summer, that seems a long shot, at best.
Here
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#95 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 5, 2016 3:33 pm

THJ getting some consistent PT after 3 months of waiting:

Defense got Tim Hardaway Jr. on the floor.

Trust is keeping him there.

“You earn the trust off your teammates; you earn the trust of your coach,” Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said prior to the victory. “He’s doing all those little things in a way that earns that.”

Hardaway may have broken into the rotation last month after returning from a two-game stint in the NBA Development League but he is now a consistent contributor.

“It’s just playing hard,” Hardaway said. “You have to run the floor and make the right decisions when you are out there. Just keep on competing. You are going to make mistakes on the offensive end but you can control what you do on defense. You have to make it a key to be in the right spot and the right time, box out, rebound, run the lanes when you are supposed to.”

Budenholzer has previously said it was Hardaway’s commitment to defense that earned his place in the bench rotation...The Hawks obtained Hardaway during a draft-night trade with the Knicks, essentially giving up their first-round selection on a would-be rookie for the guard who had two years of experience. It took some time for Hardaway to get healthy, get into the Hawks’ player development system and grasp the defense-first mentality.
Here
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by ATL Boy » Fri Feb 5, 2016 4:57 pm

That THJ trade isn't looking as bad. Opposing players in January only shot 30% when guarded by him.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#97 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 5, 2016 5:12 pm

I like that he's doing other things like rebounding, playing within the offense like passing and playing defense. I think his shooting will come around eventually. What I like about him is he is another ball handler who can get to the rim that I trust. Korver can't and Bazemore is too eratic.
PandaKidd
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#98 » by PandaKidd » Fri Feb 5, 2016 5:58 pm

to me you cant look at THJ play. YOu have to look at the people we could have drafted instead of him. I still believe, we could have had THJ for next to nothing, maybe even just a 2nd round pick.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#99 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 6, 2016 4:07 pm

PandaKidd wrote:to me you cant look at THJ play. YOu have to look at the people we could have drafted instead of him. I still believe, we could have had THJ for next to nothing, maybe even just a 2nd round pick.

I think he's playing well. The scoring will come. But I am far more impressed in him now than I was when he was in NY.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#100 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:14 pm

{Duplicate}

Return to Atlanta Hawks