ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread (Part 2)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread (Part 2) 

Post#1041 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Peep game:

“From our standpoint, if the players in that one year of college aren’t getting the kind of development we’d like to see them get coming into the NBA, aren’t playing in the NCAA tournament, aren’t competing against top-notch competition, I think we have to take a step back and figure out whether we are better off taking those players at a younger age and working on their training and development full time,” Silver said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

^This has a chance to be big. Silver has said similar stances earlier this summer, too:

“My sense is it’s not working for anyone,” Silver said Thursday night before Game 1 of the N.B.A. finals. “It’s not working for the college coaches and athletic directors I hear from. They’re not happy with the current system. And I know our teams aren’t happy either, in part because they don’t necessarily think the players who are coming into the league are getting the kind of training that they would expect to see.”

There are arguments for raising the minimum age to 20, as well as arguments for getting rid of the rule altogether.
June 2017

“I think we all agree that we need to make a change,” Silver said. “As I’ve said before, our position, at least our formal position, going into bargaining was that we wanted to raise the minimum age from 19 to 20, and of course their formal position was they want to lower the age from 19 to 18. “I think it’s one of those issues that we need to come together and study.”

I really hope they choose to raise the minimum age to 20. Seems like a fair compromise. More likely, moves are changed to make the G-League an official minor league similar to MLB.

There were six rookies this season who averaged 10 points per game or more; none were teenagers. One of the advantages that could come from raising the age minimum to 20 would be that players may be more ready for the pro game. Silver said he has talked to many veteran players, who have a sense that the 19-year-olds “are not coming in game-ready.”
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#1042 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:40 pm

MaceCase wrote:
kg01 wrote:In my defense, once @Mace gets started, most of the words just turn into blah, bwah, zzzzzz. :lol:

On that age limit stuff, I don't see it happening mainly because it's more of an NCAA issue than an NBA issue. I do see the NBA turning the g-league into more of the European club-model whereby they become more of a minor league system akin to baseball. That seems more likely than them making a rule designed to help the NCAA stay viable. There's no financial incentive to do that IMHO.

If you paid attention you'd notice that you and I are saying the same thing just I in a much more eloquent and schmart manner. If you took some notes you'd finally beat out Larry from down the block to become editor of the Cul de sac Gazette.

Beyond that, if you're paying further attention to recent events Silver may be moving more towards eliminating the age rule. Turns out the great bastion of college sports where toddlers allegedly go to become men is shockingly turning out to be teaching them not much more than how to take money under the table. The NBA benefits from the NCAA more so because it freely markets their stars of the future to the public than develop them to reach their potential but when the last two #1 picks failed to even make it to the tournament... where's the benefit for league?

Peep game:

“From our standpoint, if the players in that one year of college aren’t getting the kind of development we’d like to see them get coming into the NBA, aren’t playing in the NCAA tournament, aren’t competing against top-notch competition, I think we have to take a step back and figure out whether we are better off taking those players at a younger age and working on their training and development full time,” Silver said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

I dunno...Larry is a force, much like def jam..

Honestly, after reading all of this the last few days I'm thoroughly confused as to who is on what side?....Do we like young NBA guys or do we want them to stay in college? I know it's much more loaded than that but..
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#1043 » by MaceCase » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:46 pm

That's all good and fine before the FBI drops the hammer and Rick Pitino (the last great hero for having 3-4 year college players ever since coach K sold out) is disgraced forever.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#1044 » by MaceCase » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
MaceCase wrote:
kg01 wrote:In my defense, once @Mace gets started, most of the words just turn into blah, bwah, zzzzzz. :lol:

On that age limit stuff, I don't see it happening mainly because it's more of an NCAA issue than an NBA issue. I do see the NBA turning the g-league into more of the European club-model whereby they become more of a minor league system akin to baseball. That seems more likely than them making a rule designed to help the NCAA stay viable. There's no financial incentive to do that IMHO.

If you paid attention you'd notice that you and I are saying the same thing just I in a much more eloquent and schmart manner. If you took some notes you'd finally beat out Larry from down the block to become editor of the Cul de sac Gazette.

Beyond that, if you're paying further attention to recent events Silver may be moving more towards eliminating the age rule. Turns out the great bastion of college sports where toddlers allegedly go to become men is shockingly turning out to be teaching them not much more than how to take money under the table. The NBA benefits from the NCAA more so because it freely markets their stars of the future to the public than develop them to reach their potential but when the last two #1 picks failed to even make it to the tournament... where's the benefit for league?

Peep game:

I dunno...Larry is a force, much like def jam..

Honestly, after reading all of this the last few days I'm thoroughly confused as to who is on what side?....Do we like young NBA guys or do we want them to stay in college? I know it's much more loaded than that but..

Majority want the young guys. Kyrie Irving isn't more likely to become All Star MVP as a 21 year old rookie from college than as a 21 year old with 2 and 1/2 years of pro ball.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#1045 » by kg01 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm

MaceCase wrote:

Peep game:

Well again, in my defense, you started your post with, "If you (I) paid attention" so ....

I've said the most likely outcome is the advent of the Euro-style club system. Not some wide-sweeping NCAA reform.

And, no, I don't want to get involved with the Gazette. The journalistic integrity has waned over the years. Oh wait, are we talking about BSPN? :lol:
king01 :king:
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#1046 » by MaceCase » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:48 pm

kg01 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:

Peep game:

Well again, in my defense, you started your post with, "If you (I) paid attention" so ....

I've said the most likely outcome is the advent of the Euro-style club system. Not some wide-sweeping NCAA reform.

And, no, I don't want to get involved with the Gazette. The journalistic integrity has waned over the years. Oh wait, are we talking about BSPN? :lol:

You're just mad at Larry for not running your ad for your one man show at the community center but running Bob's ad for his cookout.

Honestly, this might be the boost needed for the GLeague. Exposure and attendance should grow if they are able to get top high school recruits over the NCAA who has to at least keep appearances of the student-athlete.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,487

Post#1047 » by dms269 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 pm

Let's try to turn our focus back to trade ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#1048 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:You are exactly pointing out what I said - when you have young 1st rounder and surround them by more young players and DLeague scrubs like the Sixers did - this is what you get. No mentor on the court or off it to tell him what the NBA is like.

Lady, I don't know what you're arguing about.

Jamaaliver wrote:This is the flaw with drafting children. Teenagers.

This is the flaw in surrounding young, unproven players with other young, unproven players.
Wednesday October 11th

If you agree with the premise, why did you spend the last 72 hours arguing about it?

:nonono:

My very first post waaaay back when indicated that part of Tim's success was having vets around him, same with Garnett. You said vets with families wouldn't want to 'babysit'.
Whatevs.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#1049 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:31 pm

dms269 wrote:Let's try to turn our focus back to trade ideas.

Anyone have a prediction on a big time player that will be on the move this winter? Cousins? George? IT? It'll be interesting to see if the Hawks can snag someone good for the long term but i expect those moves to come next summer.

Who are the most likely Hawks to get traded mid season. Let's except Ersan and Marco. Dennis? Baze? Dedmon? Moose?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1050 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

macd-gm wrote:Anyone have a prediction on a big time player that will be on the move this winter? Cousins? George? IT? It'll be interesting to see if the Hawks can snag someone good for the long term but i expect those moves to come next summer.

Who are the most likely Hawks to get traded mid season. Let's except Ersan and Marco. Dennis? Baze? Dedmon? Moose?

Dedmon seems a near certainty if he plays nearly as well as we believe. A team in need of a strong inside player and overflowing with picks/prospects might drop a 2nd or lowly regarded draftee in our lap for the trouble.

(I'm looking at you Boston.)

Dedmon and a future 2nd for Yabusele would be a solid move for us.

I think we all hope Baze is gone. But he'd need to have a helluva bounce back season to get moved on that contract.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#1051 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:Anyone have a prediction on a big time player that will be on the move this winter? Cousins? George? IT? It'll be interesting to see if the Hawks can snag someone good for the long term but i expect those moves to come next summer.

Dedmon seems a near certainty if he plays nearly as well as we believe. A team in need of a strong inside player and overflowing with picks/prospects might drop a 2nd or lowly regarded draftee in our lap for the trouble.

(I'm looking at you Boston.)

Dedmon and a future 2nd for Yabusele would be a solid move for us.

I think we all hope Baze is gone. But he'd need to have a helluva bounce back season to get moved on that contract.

Why wouldn't we just keep Dedmon? He's obviously at the beginning of his prime and really good, mobile centers aren't easy to find
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1052 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 pm

macd-gm wrote:

Anyone have a prediction on a big time player that will be on the move this winter? Cousins? George? IT? It'll be interesting to see if the Hawks can snag someone good for the long term but i expect those moves to come next summer.

Cousins for sure but I think the other 2 stay put. I'd also keep an eye on the Clippers. Jerry West just took over and is liable to flip Deandre and others. I doubt we are major players till next summer and beyond.

I'm thinking we hang on to Dennis and try to flip them all...Ersan n Belli for sure and after that teams will probably line up for Dedmon...I doubt we move Baze, it's that stupid 2018-19 salary if his...and maybe Moose for a second.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1053 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 pm

macd-gm wrote:

All this Dedmon trade talk reminds me of when we signed Millsap the first time. Everybody and they momma was screaming we signed Millsap to trade him and that he would never resign with us when his 2 year deal was up. I can see the same happening with Dedmon
I understand the Hawks are rebuilding but why can't he be a piece that'll help the young kids along as we build.
Unless it's a 'just too good to pass up deal' I'd keep the Dead-man - especially since we don't have squat behind him that offers anything much
Moose has been disappointing so he can go , Illyasova can go - since we have Collins to step in behind these two.
Baze - hope he ups his value so we can actually get something back instead of having to include an asset to move him.
Dennis - we have nothing behind him. #DelaneySucks. So unless it's a decent prospect PG coming back or a very high pick, I'd pass. In this PG league you need someone capable. He has his flaws but he can still improve.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#1054 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Dedmon is 28. He easily has 4 years or more of high quality play. If we don't think we'll need him in that timeframe then I need to find a new team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1055 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 pm

macd-gm wrote:Why wouldn't we just keep Dedmon? He's obviously at the beginning of his prime and really good, mobile centers aren't easy to find

macd-gm wrote:Dedmon is 28. He easily has 4 years or more of high quality play. If we don't think we'll need him in that timeframe then I need to find a new team.

Ummm...no significant reason.

He does have the ability to opt out next season. If he has a good season, he likely does in order to secure a larger payday.

Not sure if it's worth it to pay big money for a player nearing thirty on a last place team. (That doesn't seem like a Schlenk-type deal.)
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1056 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Agree with Bird on Dedmon being a Sap type sleeper as a FA...he's crazy underrated. I think he could be a candidate for most improved player if he gets a good amount of burn.

Having said that, I agree with Mac in that he's 28 and he most likely won't be included in our next phase due to age most likely.

Dedmon is super flexible as a center. He's kind of got that worm Dennis Rodman contort your body in mid air while rebounding ability. Super active inside with blocks as well as quicker than most centers to get some steals. I think he is going to be a very pleasant surprise indeed.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#1057 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:Why wouldn't we just keep Dedmon? He's obviously at the beginning of his prime and really good, mobile centers aren't easy to find

macd-gm wrote:Dedmon is 28. He easily has 4 years or more of high quality play. If we don't think we'll need him in that timeframe then I need to find a new team.

He does have the ability to opt out next season. If he has a good season, he likely does in order to secure a larger payday.

Not sure if it's worth it to pay big money for a player nearing thirty on a last place team. (That doesn't seem like a Schlenk-type deal.)

Well genius, just checked the standings and we are currently sitting in first place. So......
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#1058 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm

macd-gm wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Well genius, just checked the standings and we are currently sitting in first place. So......

:lol: We are #1!!!! GO HAWKS!!!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#1059 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm

I think we'll need him to help the young guys play better, he helps Bud's system work. That'll be my reasoning to keep him. I think the most Demon would get from a contender next season is the full MLE which is about $9 million. I'd resign him for that on a 3+1 deal.
Nothing worse than having DL scrubs on a young team with the draft picks you are trying to mold and teach.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#1060 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:41 pm

LaMarcus Aldridge Was Open To Trade From Spurs

While the San Antonio Spurs and LaMarcus Aldridge agreed upon a three-year extension before the start of the season, both sides were interested in a trade during the offseason.
Real GM

In my dreams, we kept Horford in 2016, moved Millsap to ORL for Oladipo last summer, moved Oladipo to Indy for Paul George this summer, and then acquire LaMarcus Aldridge in a salary dump this summer. This allows SAS to acquire Chris Paul and allows us to field a team of Horford, Lamarcus and PG13.

With those three + Dennis (and no Bazemore!!!), we could have caused some serious damage in the East this year.

A man can dream right?

Return to Atlanta Hawks