ImageImage

Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread (Part 2)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Re: Atlanta Hawks Official Trade Ideas Thread (Part 2) 

Post#901 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jul 7, 2017 9:03 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
macd-gm wrote:So are we buying out Jamal or trading him? Everyone is assuming he gets a buyout.

I hate that the media assumes we are buying him out vs trading him. I hate the media being right about that even more.

Ahhhhhh only us.

Jamal's value is really non-existant.
Read on Twitter

No problem. He plays his way into a deadline trade that is Hawks beneficial or he's a cheap buy-out next offseason
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#902 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 7, 2017 9:08 pm

I still think we should get something for Jamal...like anything..lol
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#903 » by Spud2nique » Sat Jul 8, 2017 3:45 am

Odd trade suggestion here but is there any way we can pry the Suns 1st round pick in 2018 (via Miami heat top 7 protected in 2018 and unprotected in 2019. Do we have any assets? Considering that Dennis, Prince, Collins and Bembry are off the table..as well as 2018 Minny pick and 2019 Cavs pick. I can only think of Baze and that's not an asset lol. Thoughts?
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#904 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:29 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Odd trade suggestion here but is there any way we can pry the Suns 1st round pick in 2018 (via Miami heat top 7 protected in 2018 and unprotected in 2019. Do we have any assets? Considering that Dennis, Prince, Collins and Bembry are off the table..as well as 2018 Minny pick and 2019 Cavs pick. I can only think of Baze and that's not an asset lol. Thoughts?

Pretty much impossible for a team that has already stated they are all in on going young, so I would assume they aren't selling draft picks unless they are getting a stud. They don't have bad contracts that need to go, and even if they did, I don't see them attaching their pick to dump it.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#905 » by Roddy B for 3 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 am

How would Hawk fans feel about Wesley Matthews (18.5M this season, player option at 19.5M next season) + Dwight Powell + 2 2nd rounders + Dallas' 2018 1st top 6 protected (indefinitely) for cap space?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#906 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:How would Hawk fans feel about Wesley Matthews (18.5M this season, player option at 19.5M next season) + Dwight Powell + 2 2nd rounders + Dallas' 2018 1st top 6 protected (indefinitely) for cap space?

That draft pick is the most appealing thing to our GM.

(Though I am really high on Powell and Mathews.)

I'd say yes. But, based on the direction of our franchise, I believe management would balk at that much salary coming aboard. Not when we already have Plumlee and Bazemore for years and years.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#907 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:How would Hawk fans feel about Wesley Matthews (18.5M this season, player option at 19.5M next season) +
Dwight Powell + 2 2nd rounders + Dallas' 2018 1st top 6 protected (indefinitely) for cap space?

1. I don't think Hawks has that much capspace to take on both Wesley and Powell
2. Wesley doesn't have a player option if I read it correctly.
3. Not unless you take back Bazemore or P{umlee.
4. Schlenk has preached roster and financial flexibility - can't see him taking on that much long term salary, $27 million per year for at least the next 2 years plus Baze's $17 mil and Plumlees $12.5. Wesley doesn't have a player option if I read it correctly.
5. The pick is the most interesting thing but it would have to be at least unprotected by year 2 - that's a ton of money Hawks are taking on.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#908 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:How would Hawk fans feel about Wesley Matthews (18.5M this season, player option at 19.5M next season) + Dwight Powell + 2 2nd rounders + Dallas' 2018 1st top 6 protected (indefinitely) for cap space?

Top 6 protected? That would be a 'yes' for me.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#909 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:33 pm

I would. Powell is a local dude I watched played a lot collegiately and he's very athletic, long and smart. I loved Wes Matthews for our 2016 squad and would take him on just for that top 6 draft pick because in all honestly I don't think the Mavs finish bottom 6, and the pick would likely be around 8-14. I would.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#910 » by D21 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 am

jayu70 wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:How would Hawk fans feel about Wesley Matthews (18.5M this season, player option at 19.5M next season) +
Dwight Powell + 2 2nd rounders + Dallas' 2018 1st top 6 protected (indefinitely) for cap space?

1. I don't think Hawks has that much capspace to take on both Wesley and Powell
2. Wesley doesn't have a player option if I read it correctly.
3. Not unless you take back Bazemore or P{umlee.
4. Schlenk has preached roster and financial flexibility - can't see him taking on that much long term salary, $27 million per year for at least the next 2 years plus Baze's $17 mil and Plumlees $12.5. Wesley doesn't have a player option if I read it correctly.
5. The pick is the most interesting thing but it would have to be at least unprotected by year 2 - that's a ton of money Hawks are taking on.

Matthews has $17,884,176 and $18,622,514 (PO) left
Dwight Powell has $9,003,125 - $9,631,250 - $10,259,375 (PO) left

and DAL should have to get at least 10M of salary because we don't have 27M of cap space
Powell would have to match the project to be included, and I don't think he will, because at 9-10M a year, I would not get a player that is at -5pts Net On/Court the last two seasons in a team with lots of players in positive (Barea, Barnes, Curry, Harris, Noel, Nowitzki, Meijri). It generally means he's no impact. Could change in a different context, but it tends to not change.
We won't get something for him in a trade, and not much from Matthews too.
The price is way to high for 1st rnd pick, even top 6 protected, and I smell that DAL will be in playoffs, or that if it doesn't turn good this season, tanking will be at another level than this year and they could very well end around that 6th spot.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#911 » by jayu70 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Should the Hawks be facilitators in this deal to get picks or young players?
Ryan Anderson's deal is the headache in this mess - NYK doesn't want him, we already own Houston's 2018 1st rounder, so what does NYK get for Melo? ZHou Qi, Hartenstein, Capella, Gordon, Ariza 2020 1st, 2022 1st???
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#912 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:28 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ryan Anderson's deal is the headache in this mess - NYK doesn't want him, we already own Houston's 2018 1st rounder, so what does NYK get for Melo? ZHou Qi, Hartenstein, Capella, Gordon, Ariza 2020 1st, 2022 1st???

I dunno but if it's a 4 team trade and the Knicks and Rox obviously the main players but perhaps we could get in there as the 3rd team in the deal and steal picks/young players from the 4th team.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#913 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:22 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Absolutely not to Ryan Anderson's horrendous contract. There's bad deals like Demarre Carroll and Jamal Crawford, and then absolute salary cap cripplers like Anderson (average of $20 mil per year over the next 3 years).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#914 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:20 am

ATL Boy wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Absolutely not to Ryan Anderson's horrendous contract. There's bad deals like Demarre Carroll and Jamal Crawford, and then absolute salary cap cripplers like Anderson (average of $20 mil per year over the next 3 years).

There's 4 teams though. Maybe Anderson wouldn't be coming here, but to whoever is the other party is involved. We could essentially be taking back their "bad" contract guy(s). Not saying we should, but if a decent asset is coming back our way, then why not. Similar to how we were involved with getting Crawford for Houston's 1st.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#915 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:10 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

There's 4 teams though. Maybe Anderson wouldn't be coming here, but to whoever is the other party is involved. We could essentially be taking back their "bad" contract guy(s). Not saying we should, but if a decent asset is coming back our way, then why not. Similar to how we were involved with getting Crawford for Houston's 1st.

I'm not opposed to that at all. I'd love to use the remainder of our cap space (I think it's at $8.5 mil at this point) for another first rounder. It becomes an absolute hard pass for me if we have to take on Ryan Albatross, however.

SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#916 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:The Celtics were more successful when they had the big 3. Since then, they haven't done much...The Spurs and Warriors have a lone title, but their deep playoff runs in the west outweigh what Boston has done over the decade. I mean it's like "everyone gets a trophy" if we were to say "Well, they had a winning season and are the #1 seed". I mean this is irrelevant to the subject, but just saying.

Jamaaliver wrote:I respect what you're saying.

Maybe, we stick a pin it. Come back July 7th when we have a better idea of what Hawks, Celts and the rest of the Conference will look like next season.

I mentioned above that we'd come back after Free Agency and address this topic with additional perspective.

What I've seen out of BOS is what I had hoped we'd do after our run to the ECF. Make aggressive improvements to the roster instead of standing pat.

The Celtics were the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference last season, but after losing in five games to the Cleveland Cavaliers, it was clear they needed to be aggressive in order to take that next step.

"No, we're not comfortable yet," general manager Danny Ainge said. "We do like our team, but we're still going to search things out to see if we can find anything that makes us better this offseason."
Bleacher Report

And this was my point then and now. That every offseason needs to see improvement to jump into and maintain your status as elite. It's what top GMs do.

Not only are they benefitting from the BRK picks, but they are now bringing in top Free Agents every summer. They were the #1 seed last year, but chose to replace 40% of their starting lineup.

They have a veteran laden competitive team for today. And they have young, cheap, elite talent in the pipeline to build on. Celtics whiffed on their top trade targets -- but added a top free agent, a top young lottery talent and a likely future lottery pick.

When the Hawks were #1 seed, they added an injured THJ and Tiago Splitter.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#917 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:39 am

Per bleacher report today:

Atlanta Hawks Receive: SF Wesley Johnson, PG/SG Lou Williams, PF Kyle Wiltjer

Los Angeles Clippers Receive: SG/SF Kent Bazemore

Would you? For me it's a yes!
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#918 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 am

Dumping contracts that run counter to their new timeline is crucial to maximizing the Hawks' rebuild. They have already forged more long-term breathing room by letting Millsap walk and trading Dwight Howard to the Charlotte Hornets.

Offloading the $54.3 million on Kent Bazemore's contract should be their next play.

Flipping him won't be easy. He's coming off a down season in which he shot under 35 percent from three and posted a near-career-worst success rate at the rim. He was usurped in the rotation by $71 million man Tim Hardaway Jr.

That's discouraging for any 28-year-old supposedly entering the thick of his prime. It's flat-out alarming when that player is one summer removed from a $70 million payday. Atlanta needs a trade partner desperate enough to make a splash.

Oh, hey, Los Angeles Clippers.

They need another wing even after adding Danilo Gallinari. J.J. Redick left for the Philadelphia 76ers, they shipped out Jamal Crawford, and the Clippers hard-capped themselves in the Gallinari sign-and-trade, making it more difficult to keep Luc Mbah a Moute.

David Aldridge of NBA.com noted they were interested in Tony Allen, but Bazemore is a better floor-spacing option and easier to obtain. The Grizzlies don't have the incentive to accept anything the Clippers can realistically offer when they'd be doing Allen a favor.

Losing Lou Williams stings a little when the Clippers are so low on shot creators. But coach-president Doc Rivers probably pounces on this for the extra minutes he can give his son, Austin Rivers, alone. Besides, Williams is set for free agency next summer, and Bazemore isn't as ball-dominant.

The Hawks shouldn't have to think twice about pulling the trigger. They save a couple million this season, nearly $12 million in 2018-19 and another $19.3 million in 2019-20. They can't expect a return better than that kind of wiggle room.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#919 » by jayu70 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Per bleacher report today:

Atlanta Hawks Receive: SF Wesley Johnson, PG/SG Lou Williams, PF Kyle Wiltjer

Los Angeles Clippers Receive: SG/SF Kent Bazemore

Would you? For me it's a yes!

Link please? Can't find this rumor anywhere.
I'd do it in a heartbeat.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#920 » by dms269 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm

We can't do a 3 for 1 unless we cut someone earlier due to us being at 14 men.
Schroder
Delaney
Bazemore
Belinelli
Maggette
Dorsey
Prince
Bembry
Illyasova
Muscala
Collins
Stone