ImageImage

Should Hawks extend THJ or DS this summer?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Re: Should Hawks extend THJ or DS this summer? 

Post#81 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:39 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:...over $100 million for a starting five that will progressively get worse as Millsap and Dwight age.

Is that wise long-term? In the summer of 2018, we'd have no feasible way to improve our roster or fill out the bench.

I've previously commented on a possible approach earlier in the thread.
Millsap and Dwight will be the only 2 players over 30 and 'past their prime'. Bazemore will be 29 in 2018 with 1+1 left on his current deal.
Dwight will have 1 year left on his contract in 2018 - 1. he can be traded, 2. he can be released and his remaining salary stretched over 4 years, so he'll count as $5 mil salary.
Bazemore can be traded, it will be tough to find a taker TODAY given the way he started this season (his January numbers are now respectable though), but you are talking 2018 (no one thought we would find a taker for Joe's contract, all it takes is one - he will have less years by then). He can also be stretched over 5 years but his option year will have to be included. Amnesty? will have to check new CBA.
The NBA has always been moving parts and pieces, never static.

Okay
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#82 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:...over $100 million for a starting five that will progressively get worse as Millsap and Dwight age.

Is that wise long-term? In the summer of 2018, we'd have no feasible way to improve our roster or fill out the bench.

I've previously commented on a possible approach earlier in the thread.
Millsap and Dwight will be the only 2 players over 30 and 'past their prime'. Bazemore will be 29 in 2018 with 1+1 left on his current deal.
Dwight will have 1 year left on his contract in 2018 - 1. he can be traded, 2. he can be released and his remaining salary stretched over 4 years, so he'll count as $5 mil salary.
Bazemore can be traded, it will be tough to find a taker TODAY given the way he started this season (his January numbers are now respectable though), but you are talking 2018 (no one thought we would find a taker for Joe's contract, all it takes is one - he will have less years by then). He can also be stretched over 5 years but his option year will have to be included. Amnesty? will have to check new CBA.
The NBA has always been moving parts and pieces, never static.

:x

okay.

My response was in the "2017-18 season and contracts" thead where you quoted tbhawksfan1
Post#18 » by jayu70 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 am

If Sap stays, find a taker for Baze that frees up $16 mil, , use whatever capspace we have, use the MLE exception which will be $8 mil or whatever other exceptions to sign a FAs.
If Sap leaves, sign another free agent with the money.
If Sap leaves trade for a player using the capsapce vacated by Millsap. Example: let's say SAS decides Aldridge isn't working or Detroit is already in cap hell and looking to resign KCP - we get Tobias Harris or Favors from Utah -they are prioritizing resigning Haywood and Hill (what if he wants to come home to Atlanta)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Regarding the anticipated THJ sweepstakes this summer:

Tim Hardaway Jr. gains an NBA foothold heading into free agency

Tim Hardaway Jr. is primed for a big raise after this season.

But will it come from the Atlanta Hawks or another team?

Atlanta declined to extend Hardaway Jr.'s rookie contract, making the 6-foot-6 shooting guard a restricted free agent after the season. The Hawks can match offers from other teams, trade him or let him go. Hardaway Jr. expressed a desire to stay in Atlanta but doesn't plan to let his contract situation become a distraction.

"My agent takes care of that," he said. "Honestly, Atlanta has built me into a better basketball player, and I'm a lot more mature."

He's averaging nearly 23 minutes per game and shooting a career-best 45% from the field. Hardaway Jr. hopes to become a full-time starter, although he's embracing his current role.

"They trust me in that aspect, starting or coming off the bench," he said. "You have to make the right decisions and be on the court during crunch time and when it matters most."
Here
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#84 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:32 pm

THJ is not longer just chucking up 3 point shots. I love the way he's started (effectively) taking defenders off the dribble and driving the ball. I just don't think we can afford to lose him for nothing this summer. Especially with him getting better.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:20 pm

ATL Boy wrote:THJ is not longer just chucking up 3 point shots. I love the way he's started (effectively) taking defenders off the dribble and driving the ball. I just don't think we can afford to lose him for nothing this summer. Especially with him getting better.

I'm slowly coming around to this line of thinking. I wish we'd make him a starter for a longer period of time. To determine if he has a future as starting SG in this league...or as super 6th man ala Jamal Crawford. Another underdeveloped combo guard whose career was rejuvenated in Atlanta.

Bringing back Bazemore at that $17 million salary looks worse by the day.

I am super relieved we managed to get Dennis extended. This summer would have been terribly hectic trying to negotiate with so many key Free Agents at once.

I think if THJ hold out for more than $17 million, I allow him to walk and pursue the heck out of Gordon Heyward.

GH is now my #1 Free Agent target.

THJ is like...#5 for me.

Return to Atlanta Hawks