Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,961

Re: Taurean Prince 

Post#481 » by shakes0 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Nathan2331 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:So do you think Monte Morris is more valuable because I don't.

Is a quality back up PG who is currently doing a great job in that role for one of the best teams in the league more valuable than a selfish chucker who isn't even good enough to play for Atlanta? Is that a serious question?

What does Prince do better than Morris on a basketball court?

Play SF, which has more positional value in the NBA. They already have Murray, it'd be easier for them to sign a back up PG to replace Morris' minutes than it would be to sign a starting SF. I'm not disputing Prince's questionable impact.

But Prince isn't a starting SF. He's at best a back up and even that is questionable when dealing with an elite team like Denver. IMO, a back up wing player of questionable ability isn't worth as much as a quality back up PG who can play 20+ minutes per night and has already proven this year he can help an elite team, either off the bench or in the starting lineup because of injuries.

How is that less important than a run of the mill below average wing player?
Nathan2331
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#482 » by Nathan2331 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:12 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

Is a quality back up PG who is currently doing a great job in that role for one of the best teams in the league more valuable than a selfish chucker who isn't even good enough to play for Atlanta? Is that a serious question?

What does Prince do better than Morris on a basketball court?

Play SF, which has more positional value in the NBA. They already have Murray, it'd be easier for them to sign a back up PG to replace Morris' minutes than it would be to sign a starting SF. I'm not disputing Prince's questionable impact.

But Prince isn't a starting SF. He's at best a back up and even that is questionable when dealing with an elite team like Denver. IMO, a back up wing player of questionable ability isn't worth as much as a quality back up PG who can play 20+ minutes per night and has already proven this year he can help an elite team, either off the bench or in the starting lineup because of injuries.

Prince ain't below average. I'm not disputing the numbers. I don't love Prince, but I recognize he has value. He has some upside, he could do a little better on a new team. I attribute a lot of his problems to a lack of focus and effort, which happens on a team losing 50+ games a season. But he still has use, I'd rather have Prince defending the Durant's and Paul George's of the West than Gary Harris (who is a better player but lacks size). Specifically for the Nuggets this is a solid return for Morris who can be replaced in FA. Maybe the pick was too much, but your making it sound like Prince is untradeable, which is far from true.
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#483 » by REHawksFan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Nathan2331 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:

Prince ain't below average. I'm not disputing the numbers. I don't love Prince, but I recognize he has value. He has some upside, he could do a little better on a new team. I attribute a lot of his problems to a lack of focus and effort, which happens on a team losing 50+ games a season. But he still has use, I'd rather have Prince defending the Durant's and Paul George's of the West than Gary Harris (who is a better player but lacks size). Specifically for the Nuggets this is a solid return for Morris who can be replaced in FA. Maybe the pick was too much, but your making it sound like Prince is untradeable, which is far from true.

I mean...the Hawks TRIED to trade him at the deadline and couldn't do it. So he is, so far, kinda untradeable. Maybe they get something for him eventually, or maybe they ride out his contract and let him walk. I don't know. But to suggest he has some trade value would be inaccurate at this point.

Also, Gary Harris is actually a better defender, statistically, than Prince. Where you get that TP is some adequate defender is beyond me. He's just not.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#484 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:51 pm

REHawksFan wrote:I mean...the Hawks TRIED to trade him at the deadline and couldn't do it. So he is, so far, kinda untradeable.

Rotation caliber players, just entering their prime, on rookie scale contracts aren't untradeable.

It's just a matter of whether you get what you want for him.

I think there's a good chance he's packaged on draft night with some of our 2nd rounders or the Cleveland pick -- perhaps to grab a late first rounder that we really like.

(Jontay Porter? Bruno Fernando? Grant Williams?)
REHawksFan
Sophomore
And1: 217

Post#485 » by REHawksFan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
REHawksFan wrote:I mean...the Hawks TRIED to trade him at the deadline and couldn't do it. So he is, so far, kinda untradeable.

Rotation caliber players, just entering their prime, on rookie scale contracts aren't untradeable.

It's just a matter of whether you get what you want for him.

I think there's a good chance he's packaged on draft night with some of our 2nd rounders or the Cleveland pick -- perhaps to grab a late first rounder that we really like.

(Jontay Porter? Bruno Fernando? Grant Williams?)

I would consider that a MASSIVE win and hope you are correct. I have my doubts. He's got some offensive game if you don't mind the contested long 2pt jumper but he's a ball stopper and doesn't really give effort on defense. He's got a decent 3pt shot but not much on the D side so not sure where or how he would fit for most teams that desire to win a title. Sure, he's an NBA player. I'm not suggesting otherwise cuz there will always be teams like the Knicks that have to have players.
Nathan2331
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#486 » by Nathan2331 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:45 pm

REHawksFan wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

I mean...the Hawks TRIED to trade him at the deadline and couldn't do it. So he is, so far, kinda untradeable. Maybe they get something for him eventually, or maybe they ride out his contract and let him walk. I don't know. But to suggest he has some trade value would be inaccurate at this point.

Also, Gary Harris is actually a better defender, statistically, than Prince. Where you get that TP is some adequate defender is beyond me. He's just not.

Just because the value wasn't there at the trade deadline, doesn't mean he's untradeable. Maybe I rate Prince too highly, but he does have some kind of trade value. The Nuggets need a SF if they want to be serious in the playoffs (just my opinion), and I don't think they can bank on MPJr being that guy so soon. Gary Harris is a better defender, but like I said, he lacks size especially against Durant and PG who they'll need to beat if they want a championship.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#487 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 pm

Nathan2331 wrote:Just because the value wasn't there at the trade deadline, doesn't mean he's untradeable.

At worst, it seems like we'd be able to trade Taurean to Milwaukee for the #30 pick in this year's draft. He'd be valuable insurance in case Khris Middleton takes a huge deal to leave. And we already know Budenholzer is fond of him...

Golden State would likely take him on for #28 and the remains of Jacob Evans (last year's #28 pick).

Houston would likely dump a future pick for cheap talent at a position of need.

And Taurean would likely thrive on a more structured roster with an established, elite player running the offense.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#488 » by jayu70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 pm

REHawksFan wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

There wasn't any concrete rumors of what teams were willing to give up for Prince
Teams were calling about Prince but the value was high. Philly was interested then got Harris
But the Hawks are asking a lot so far — a young player and a pick — and haven’t gotten much traction on Prince trades, sources say.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,654

Post#489 » by benhillboy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:04 am

He clearly drags down the starting lineup (278 minutes, -9 points per 100).

The next two most-used lineups sub Baze and Bembry in his place, and the net nearly breaks even! (-.7, -.4).

4th used lineup has him back in with Baze, Len, Trae, and Vince, what do you know, deficit balloons back to -23.9!

The next 3 lineups have TP and are dreadful (none with Bembry), ranging from -9.8 to -26.4.

Insert Bembry with John, Ded, and Trae and you have the best lineup TP appears in (only 46 minutes total, +4.9 points).

I’m positive Schlenk knows all of this, the question is will he act this summer.
observer1995
Junior
And1: 189

Post#490 » by observer1995 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:15 am

The flashes that Bembry has shown at times kinda makes me lean towards liking a utility type SF if they can offense better than him. A prototype of what Prince was supposed to be with better IQ wouldn't be bad but a utility type SF or a do it all type guard even potentially would be $$$$.

I think he's gone and I stand by it.
Atlantaholic
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#491 » by Atlantaholic » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:19 am

benhillboy wrote:Only Omari has a worse on court +- per 100 than TP. He may be the worse offensive rebounder at the 3 in the league. He’s missed 24 games yet his absence is never felt. And I’ll still admit that his raw numbers look damn good (13-4-2-1, .541 efg) for the relative peanuts he’s making (2.5 milly).

I’m confident TP isn’t in Schlenk’s future plans and said GM will find a sound way to upgrade the wings. I just can’t take much more of his painfully unathletic drives into the lane when Bembry is dunking backwards and pinning shots to the glass, regardless of his numerous nut-ups.

Our staff is supposedly very into analytics so they can't be high on Taurean. We will have to wait and see how the draft and free agency turns out but I don't think Prince is a Hawk next year IMO.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#492 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:00 pm

Was I dreaming when Prince was considered a good defender? I feel like I vaguely remember that being considered a strength of his.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,654

Post#493 » by benhillboy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:Was I dreaming when Prince was considered a good defender? I feel like I vaguely remember that being considered a strength of his.

Much like Dennis, his advanced numbers clearly show he’s better equipped to run with the bench. As I’m typing he hits our first 5 points like “shut the hell up, clown.”
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#494 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Q: Prince or Bembry, who has a future in Atlanta?

A:
This is a good question. I think the Hawks could probably get a decent return for Prince if they tried to trade him this summer. If I had to say who do I think is going to be a part of this team longer, I would say Bembry.

I just can't see Prince accepting a lower-cost extension right now.I think he views himself and his ceiling differently than what the Hawks currently do.

I think the Hawks are going to end up taking a wing with their highest pick (if they don't end up getting the No. 1 pick.) If that happens, depending on the growth of that player, I think there could come a point next season where Prince would come off the bench...The team is committed to Trae, Kevin and John as the core right now. Anyone else is currently a secondary piece.
Hawks Beat Writer for The Athletic
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,961

Post#495 » by shakes0 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Q: Prince or Bembry, who has a future in Atlanta?

A:
This is a good question. I think the Hawks could probably get a decent return for Prince if they tried to trade him this summer. If I had to say who do I think is going to be a part of this team longer, I would say Bembry.

I just can't see Prince accepting a lower-cost extension right now.I think he views himself and his ceiling differently than what the Hawks currently do.

I think the Hawks are going to end up taking a wing with their highest pick (if they don't end up getting the No. 1 pick.) If that happens, depending on the growth of that player, I think there could come a point next season where Prince would come off the bench...The team is committed to Trae, Kevin and John as the core right now. Anyone else is currently a secondary piece.
Hawks Beat Writer for The Athletic

Good, I hope he leaves. There are probably 10-15 wings in this draft who are better than him.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#496 » by graymule » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:03 pm

8-)

Question: When you go casually shopping, wishing to trade your present car for another, do you just take
any offer that you get? No. Well, we may have shopped TP but we didn't like the offers. We kept what
we had.

Some of us under value what we have and some of us over value. If TP doesn't bring what he's worth, we keep him.
Hint: Our GM probably knows his value better than any of us.

8-)
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#497 » by peoriabird » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:39 pm

graymule wrote:8-)

Question: When you go casually shopping, wishing to trade your present car for another, do you just take
any offer that you get? No. Well, we may have shopped TP but we didn't like the offers. We kept what
we had.

Some of us under value what we have and some of us over value. If TP doesn't bring what he's worth, we keep him.

8-)

I agree with you Grey! It has taken some time for Prince to adjust to our current system but he is slowly showing signs lately. Prince might be the best shooter on the team and I don't know which wings the other poster was talking about coming out of the draft but it sure ain't them Duke wings. Prince had 5 assist last night and the ball was moving but I guess it is hard to see progress when you have already made up your mind i.e. Rookie of the year race. I say keep him and see what develops over the summer. If next by next season there is no chemistry then there is the trade deadline. But you can't build cohesion by constantly changing the pieces. I think the good GM/Coaches realize this!
observer1995
Junior
And1: 189

Post#498 » by observer1995 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:21 am

Taurean's defense simply isn't good enough to fit as a starter here, and probably won't ever be. Yes, ye of little faith.

I think he's a starter for somebody but that somebody is not here because of the defensive situation. Need better defense at SF.
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#499 » by fuzzy1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:50 am

I was a big believer in Taurean when we drafted him, but I'm not sure he's a good fit here. He fit the Budenholzer team like a glove I think, till he started feeling himself and trying to dribble.

I still like him as a shooter

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Atlantaholic
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#500 » by Atlantaholic » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

peoriabird wrote:
graymule wrote:8-)

we had.

8-)

I agree with you Grey! It has taken some time for Prince to adjust to our current system but he is slowly showing signs lately. Prince might be the best shooter on the team and I don't know which wings the other poster was talking about coming out of the draft but it sure ain't them Duke wings. Prince had 5 assist last night and the ball was moving but I guess it is hard to see progress when you have already made up your mind i.e. Rookie of the year race. I say keep him and see what develops over the summer. If next by next season there is no chemistry then there is the trade deadline. But you can't build cohesion by constantly changing the pieces. I think the good GM/Coaches realize this!

He's doing good offensively, but that's not what we need from him. We need defense, and he hasn't shown he can play defense at even an average level at any point in his career.

Return to Atlanta Hawks