ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Taurean Prince 

Post#141 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:52 pm

macd-gm wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Fake news, huh...

NOTE: Former Hawks Thabo Sefolosha and DeMarre Carroll are both top 10 in Defensive RPM. On losing teams.

Demarre is a good one but i didn't say losing teams. I'm talking bottom of the NBA barrel. Utah isn't a bad team. I'd nitpick and say the Nets are a cut above Hawks/Magic/Kings/Mavs because they are actually trying to win. But still that's impressive by Demarre with as bad as the Nets actually are.

But when you look at Prince's defensive stats change from last year to this year, how much of that is player and how much is team?

I think it could be argued that the cellar dweller teams (Hawks, Magic, Kings, Mavs) are in the cellar BECAUSE they don't have any standout defensive players.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#142 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:52 pm

macd-gm wrote:I wonder if any individual player who is on a bottom 5 team has good defensive stats.

I'm talking bottom of the NBA barrel...when you look at Prince's defensive stats change from last year to this year, how much of that is player and how much is team?

It's worth noting that Kent Bazemore is ranked in top ten of DRPM for shooting guards.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,928

Post#143 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:27 am

What the heck is going on with him? I know he had the injury to his right ring finger, but......
Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#144 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 2, 2018 12:28 pm

What the heck is going on with him? I know he had the injury to his right ring finger, but......
Read on Twitter

It's likely the same things that have happened to Collins.

This is the most games, he's ever played in such a short period. So he's hitting that mid-season rookie wall he avoided last season when he received limited burn the first few months.

Also, his success early in the season led opposing teams to update their scouting reports on him, and thusly, opposing players are paying him (and JC) more attention than they received early in the season.

(NOTE: Anyone who's traveled quite a bit for work can attest to how exhausting it becomes constantly crisscrossing the country 4 days a week for 15 straight weeks. It takes the body a little while to get used to that much travel.)
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#145 » by macd-gm » Fri Feb 2, 2018 3:40 pm

Also, he had some lackadaisical defense and Bud got onto him and benched him for some parts of games. He got pissed about that so mentally I don't think he's on top of his game.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#146 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:24 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#147 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:13 pm

2018 Rising Stars Challenge: Ranking Star Potential of Every Player

18. Taurean Prince, SF, Atlanta Hawks (Tier 6)

Per-Game Stats: 12.2 points, 4.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 0.9 steals, 0.5 blocks

Advanced Metrics: 10.9 PER, minus-2.21 RPM, minus-71.29 TPA

For Taurean Prince to develop into a foundational piece for the Atlanta Hawks—as opposed to a high-upside player who could be had for the right price—he has to find a way to contribute on offense without relying solely on spot-up three-pointers.

The 23-year-old is already an aggressive, athletic defender who can match up against tough shooting guards and small forwards, though he often cedes the more difficult matchups to Kent Bazemore. He's also grown into a proficient shooter who goes through hot and cold stretches that tend to even out and leave him around the league average from beyond the arc.

But what else is he going to do?

Lofty expectations should be curtailed because his growth from beyond the arc (36.8 percent) has paired with regression in other areas, and the results leave him with negative results in the advanced metrics. That's not the trend the Hawks are seeking as they try to make him more than another three-and-D contributor.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#148 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:58 pm

Hawks’ Prince on his inconsistent play: ‘There are certain things I’ve got to tune out’

The box score numbers say Hawks forward Taurean Prince has been inconsistent in his second pro season. There will be a game or two or three when Prince does it all—scoring efficiently, collecting rebounds and steals, handing out assists—followed by a stretch where he provides little positive box score stats at all.

The numbers also say Prince has slipped defensively in his second NBA season after he was very good as a rookie. They show that Prince’s production in steals, blocks and deflections have decreased dramatically and that he doesn’t have a positive influence on the team’s defensive efficiency when he’s on the court.

Prince’s on/off defensive numbers have slipped this season, too. Prince is a full-time starter now playing more minutes at a position where the NBA is deep in good scorers. He’s being exposed to better opponents more often.

“I’m still getting used to guarding the best players in the world,” Prince said. “There is going to be a learning curve. The good thing is I’m progressing. Iron sharpens iron."

What’s unequivocally true is that Prince has improved his three-point shooting in his second season. He’s also been an effective play-maker.

“I’m more patient offensively,” Prince said. “I’m less indecisive. I still can get a lot better in a lot more areas on offense."
myAJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#149 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:21 pm

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#150 » by ATL Boy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Prince has been very impressive as "the man" recently. It's made me look at him as more of a long-term piece that I once though earlier in the year. I'm very happy for him.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,447

Post#151 » by Revived » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:30 am

ATL Boy wrote:Prince has been very impressive as "the man" recently. It's made me look at him as more of a long-term piece that I once though earlier in the year. I'm very happy for him.

I’ve been keeping tabs on Prince throughout the season and he’s still a very up and down player. His big numbers have come against other tanking teams as well.

Would like to see him be more consistent.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#152 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#153 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Would Travis dangle Taurean in trade talks for another lottery pick?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#154 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Read on Twitter

The Hawks starting small forward has averaged 28.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and 5.3 assists in the three-game stretch.

The performances came in the three games since Prince was benched in the second half of a loss at the Pacers last week.

As the Hawks rebuild they will add more players through the draft to join Prince and the young nucleus moving forward. He sees progress despite the Hawks’ 20-49 record with 13 games remaining.

“We are getting better in certain areas,” Prince said. “It’s not easy having new guys every week. No excuses. We’ve done a great job of putting all the distractions aside and try to get better with who we have.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#155 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Hawks starting small forward has averaged 28.3 points, 8.0 rebounds and 5.3 assists in the three-game stretch.

The performances came in the three games since Prince was benched in the second half of a loss at the Pacers last week.

As the Hawks rebuild they will add more players through the draft to join Prince and the young nucleus moving forward. He sees progress despite the Hawks’ 20-49 record with 13 games remaining.

“We are getting better in certain areas,” Prince said. “It’s not easy having new guys every week. No excuses. We’ve done a great job of putting all the distractions aside and try to get better with who we have.

What has stood out for me is his decision making with the ball and running the offense. Earlier in the season it would be a sure turnover when he drives in the paint and try to make a pass.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#156 » by Spud2nique » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Love TP....he’s in the Sap category for me...lunch pail and no nonsense! Hope he’s a Hawk for the long haul.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#157 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Love TP....he’s in the Sap category for me...lunch pail and no nonsense! Hope he’s a Hawk for the long haul.

He's developing a nice dribble pull up mid range shot.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#158 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Prince is probable for tomm. night's game with right peroneal nerve irritation???
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#159 » by Spud2nique » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 pm

jayu70 wrote:Prince is probable for tomm. night's game with right peroneal nerve irritation???

How’s that now? A what?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#160 » by jayu70 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks