Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Taurean Prince 

Post#61 » by ATL Boy » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:46 am

bwgood77 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
How many minutes do you expect him to get?

I'd be surprised if he ends up being a consistent rotation player to start. Budenholzer has never played his rookies very much, but due to his defensive prowess he might end up getting some decent bench minutes in the 2nd half of the season. That would be my guess at least.

Did you like what you saw in preseason from him? I just added him to my fantasy squad (it's a dynasty league so long term and keepers) after contemplating between him and Caris LeVert. BIG league...16 teams..so very deep.

He's looked good in preseason. Again, don't take my speculation of him probably not playing much at first as fact. He seems to be the most NBA ready rookie we've had since Budenholzer came in as the coach.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#62 » by jayu70 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:39 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:In the first half of the second round tournament game, I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Prince. He's stepped up as the leader of this SL squad, and has shown a great ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.

I'd be surprised if he ends up being a consistent rotation player to start. Budenholzer has never played his rookies very much, but due to his defensive prowess he might end up getting some decent bench minutes in the 2nd half of the season. That would be my guess at least.

True but they never really deserved to play, except Dennis who was Teague's backup to start the season as a rookie.
Bebe was stashed then traded
Muscala was overseas then came over when we had a rash of injuries and played
Payne, we now know why he didn't play (bad pick) - it was a probably a good thing he didn't play so we at least got value for him. Doubt Minny could get a 2nd for him now.
Edy - so raw

Prince and Bembry are our firt rookies since Dennis who look like they'll be able to help right away. will they? don't know. THjr and Thabo are ahead of them in the rotation. I hope they play.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#63 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

True but they never really deserved to play, except Dennis who was Teague's backup to start the season as a rookie.
Payne, we now know why he didn't play (bad pick) - it was a probably a good thing he didn't play so we at least got value for him. Doubt Minny could get a 2nd for him now.
Edy - so raw

Prince and Bembry are our firt rookies since Dennis who look like they'll be able to help right away. will they? don't know. THjr and Thabo are ahead of them in the rotation. I hope they play.

Who looks better to you? Bembry or Prince?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#64 » by jayu70 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:27 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:I'd be surprised if he ends up being a consistent rotation player to start. Budenholzer has never played his rookies very much, but due to his defensive prowess he might end up getting some decent bench minutes in the 2nd half of the season. That would be my guess at least.

Edy - so raw

Who looks better to you? Bembry or Prince?

Tough call. I've liked what I've seen from both
Bembry can play PG, smooth, never in a hurry, knows where to go with the ball, defender, his outside shot is suspect though.
Prince can fill a stat sheet besides scoring - rebounds, assists,blocks,steals - straight hustle. nice 3 point shot, and he can drive the ball which surprised me.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#65 » by jayu70 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Against the Bucks, Prince had eight points, five rebounds, two blocks, one assist and one steal and had a plus-eight rating in 19:08. His only other extended playing time came earlier this month against the Cavaliers when the Hawks were without Kyle Korver. He had two points, four rebounds and was a plus-eight in 8:37.

I'm gonna really like this kid.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#66 » by MaceCase » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

More to come tonight with Thabo still out.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#67 » by D21 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:34 am

And one more time... a Plus-8 in 16 minutes (2pts-4rbd-2ast-1stl)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:30 pm

a few nuggets about the 'new' Junkyard Dog:

Against the Bucks, Prince had eight points, five rebounds, two blocks, one assist and one steal and had a plus-eight rating in 19:08.

“In my opinion, the best teacher is experience,” Prince said. “For me to get out there and be able to be with the guys, we put in a lot of hard work behind the scenes that people don’t see. I’m just grateful for the opportunity. Whatever opportunity I get, I will continue to take advantage of it.”

“I thought Taurean was great,” Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said after the game. “The physicality he plays with, the aggressiveness he plays with, he really gave us a big boost at both ends of the court.”
Here

The opportunities will be fed to Prince gradually as the season progresses under a coaching staff that has a tendency to keep young wings on a short leash.

“Just another testament of the Atlanta Hawks player development system,” said Bazemore on Prince’s play on Wednesday night. “A guy works hard every day and when he gets his name called he’s ready. That’s one of his [Taurean] greatest attributes is he’s fearless..."
HawksHoop

I definitely think he is the long-term answer at SF. And I'd like him starting there immediately!!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 2, 2017 4:16 pm

Defense getting Prince in Hawks’ rotation

Taurean Prince is adjusting to the life of a rookie in the NBA.

The Hawks wing has been in and out of the rotation. There have been games when he’s been quickly pulled for miscues. He’s been yelled at. There was a four-game stint in the NBA Development League.

Prince, the No. 12 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, has played in six straight games, one shy of his longest stretch of his young career. Over the past six games, Prince has averaged 22.5 minutes. That included a career-high 30 minutes in Monday’s win over the Celtics. In the seven straight games in November, he averaged just 16.3 minutes.

As with any player in the Hawks’ system, it’s defense that gets you and keeps you on the court. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Prince brings an athletic and physical frame as a wing defender the Hawks need.
myAJC

Prince said he has also been under the wing of players like Dwight Howard on defense and Bazemore on offense in fully learning the systems.

:o Oh, dear lord...
jayu70
RealGM

Post#70 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 2, 2017 5:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Defense getting Prince in Hawks’ rotation

Taurean Prince is adjusting to the life of a rookie in the NBA.

The Hawks wing has been in and out of the rotation. There have been games when he’s been quickly pulled for miscues. He’s been yelled at. There was a four-game stint in the NBA Development League.

Prince, the No. 12 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft, has played in six straight games, one shy of his longest stretch of his young career. Over the past six games, Prince has averaged 22.5 minutes. That included a career-high 30 minutes in Monday’s win over the Celtics. In the seven straight games in November, he averaged just 16.3 minutes.

As with any player in the Hawks’ system, it’s defense that gets you and keeps you on the court. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound Prince brings an athletic and physical frame as a wing defender the Hawks need.
myAJC

Prince said has also been under the wing of players like Dwight Howard on defense and Bazemore on offense in fully learning the systems.

:o Oh, dear lord...

LOL...maybe Baze knows the system, just not adept at executing it. :lol:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:35 am

Taurean Prince still makes rookie mistakes – but they are getting fewer and farther between. The Hawks are trusting the wing and he rewarded them with a big game against Memphis.

Prince finished with a team-high 17 points to establish a career-high in points. He also had three rebounds, two assists, two steals and a blocked shot in a career-high 31 minutes.

Prince also set a career-high with five field goals and tied a career-high with three 3-pointers.
myAJC

I really like this kid.

simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#72 » by simon24 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:15 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Taurean Prince still makes rookie mistakes – but they are getting fewer and farther between. The Hawks are trusting the wing and he rewarded them with a big game against Memphis.

Prince finished with a team-high 17 points to establish a career-high in points. He also had three rebounds, two assists, two steals and a blocked shot in a career-high 31 minutes.

Prince also set a career-high with five field goals and tied a career-high with three 3-pointers.
myAJC

I really like this kid.

Come on Bud bench Baze and Dwight, start Ersan and Prince.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#73 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:47 am

Bud BETTER give him over 20m a game from here on. Got to develop the future
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Hawks best prospect

Taurean Prince

Experience: Rookie

The Atlanta Hawks' plan for Taurean Prince appears pretty straightforward. They want him to become that tough-nosed switchy wing on defense who scores off threes and drives at the other end—a Thabo Sefolosha 2.0.

Prince already makes his presence felt on the defensive side. There's more of a learning curve for Prince to cover on the offensive side.

Even if his on-the-move offense remains too dependent on drawing fouls, the Hawks have a nice three-and-D prospect on their hands.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Nice write-ups from a couple of local fan-sites:

Read on Twitter

Taurean Prince is Taking Off

Prince has emerged post-all star break shooting 40 percent from three while showcasing his ability to guard 1 - 4s.

Now, with the regular season coming to a close, Prince has caught on at the right time. The core players are fully aware of his value to this team and believe he will be a difference maker when they need it the most.
HawksHoop

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#76 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Apr 3, 2017 6:58 pm

Give him minutes and he'll develop. Lottery pick and 23. Need more like him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#77 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 9, 2017 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#78 » by birdlives_ma » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Love this kid. If he's in the MIP conversation the way I think he will be and Dedmon looks like a reasonable starter, I think we can squeak into the playoffs. The east is worse than it's ever been in my lifetime (I'm 27), and coach Bud has made a career out of getting us to play better than the sum of our parts. If we get solid 2nd banana play from Prince, say 15 and 7 with great D, 35 wins isn't a crazy prediction, right?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:53 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:Love this kid. If he's in the MIP conversation the way I think he will be and Dedmon looks like a reasonable starter, I think we can squeak into the playoffs. The east is worse than it's ever been in my lifetime (I'm 27), and coach Bud has made a career out of getting us to play better than the sum of our parts. If we get solid 2nd banana play from Prince, say 15 and 7 with great D, 35 wins isn't a crazy prediction, right?

1) Welcome to the board.

2) This is all reasonable.

Taurean P should be in position to take a big step forward. He's approaching his prime and should be a good fit scheme wise.

Regarding the playoffs...we, under coach Bud, probably could be good enough to make a run at an 8th seed if we really wanted.

But the feeling most of us have: Travis Schlenk, the Hawks new GM, wants to rebuild and favors a high draft pick or two to accomplish this. This has the look and the feel of a tank season for Atlanta.

Or as Travis S would say it, "we're investing in our future by being terrible next year."
jayu70
RealGM

Post#80 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
birdlives_ma wrote:Love this kid. If he's in the MIP conversation the way I think he will be and Dedmon looks like a reasonable starter, I think we can squeak into the playoffs. The east is worse than it's ever been in my lifetime (I'm 27), and coach Bud has made a career out of getting us to play better than the sum of our parts. If we get solid 2nd banana play from Prince, say 15 and 7 with great D, 35 wins isn't a crazy prediction, right?

1) Welcome to the board.

2) This is all reasonable.

Taurean P should be in position to take a big step forward. He's approaching his prime and should be a good fit scheme wise.

Regarding the playoffs...we, under coach Bud, probably could be good enough to make a run at an 8th seed if we really wanted.

But the feeling most of us have: Travis Schlenk, the Hawks new GM, wants to rebuild and favors a high draft pick or two to accomplish this. This has the look and the feel of a tank season for Atlanta.

Or as Travis S would say it, "we're investing in our future by being terrible next year."

I agree with everything except that Taurean is 'approaching his prime.' He just completed his rookie season where he didn't start all 82 games. Dennis isn't even in his prime yet at 23 years old.
Taurean is just scratching the surface of his potential - I have high hopes for him.

Return to Atlanta Hawks