ImageImage

Does Bembry have a future with the Hawks?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Re: De'Andre Bembry already making a name for himself 

Post#21 » by azuresou1 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 7:03 pm

I don't really like Bembry's game TBQH, it looks too 'chunky' and not fluid enough. His vision and passing are both quite good, but he's not explosive or polished enough off the dribble to make full use of it. He also has not demonstrated himself as a shooter.

Obviously I hope to be wrong, but I see him long term as a bench wing whose value will have to come from bringing energy and in transition.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#22 » by macd-gm » Mon Aug 7, 2017 7:16 pm

azuresou1 wrote:I don't really like Bembry's game TBQH, it looks too 'chunky' and not fluid enough. His vision and passing are both quite good, but he's not explosive or polished enough off the dribble to make full use of it. He also has not demonstrated himself as a shooter.

Obviously I hope to be wrong, but I see him long term as a bench wing whose value will have to come from bringing energy and in transition.

I'm definitely concerned about his jump shot. It's hard to make it in this league as a SG if you can't shoot from the outside.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter

The 23-year-old says frankly that his “goal next season is to play more minutes” and that should be easily attainable given the roster changes that the Hawks have made. However, Bembry won’t be without competition on the wing...the big question, though, is his jump shot. Bembry’s jumper has the ability to make or break him as a prospect.

D Bembry wrote:The biggest thing I wanted to work on this offseason was my jump shot, just being more consistent with it. I feel like I was a much better shooter growing up and I didn’t shoot as well as I wanted to in the minutes that I played this past year. I’m definitely working on that and getting a lot of repetition in. I took one week off after the season and I’ve been working out every day since then. I wanted to get right back in the gym and that’s what I’ve been doing here in Atlanta all summer.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#24 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter

Post#25 » by macd-gm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Not digging the Fro collapse. Bring back the fro!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 6, 2017 5:36 pm

Read on Twitter
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#27 » by graymule » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:57 am

Bembry now reported out for 4 - 6 weeks, due to injury. This means he will miss all the pre season games and
a few of the opening season games, which begin on October 18.
Dang. Almost everyone believes the 2017-18 Hawks are doomed and the injury bug has already bitten us.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Can Bembry make the second-year leap?

Bembry played in just 38 games last season with one start, sitting deep on the depth chart behind a group of veteran wings and fellow rookie Taurean Prince. Like Prince, Bembry entered the league with a more polished skill set on the defensive end and an offensive game that can thrive if his shooting improves.

During his three years of college basketball, Bembry was an offensive facilitator playing a point forward type of role. In his third season, he scored 17.4 points per game, led his team in rebounding and assists and was named conference player of the year in the Atlantic 10.

In more of a pure guard role, Bembry could be a complimentary backcourt mate on the floor with either Dennis Schroeder or Malcolm Delaney. Bembry would be able to handle a defensive assignment against bigger guards and could use his facilitation skills to allow the point guard on the floor with him to focus more on scoring and less on distributing the basketball.

The start to Bembry’s 2017-18 season is at risk as he deals with a triceps injury. He will likely miss the entire preseason and may not be available for the season opener on October 18.
Peachtree Hoops
macd-gm
Starter

Post#29 » by macd-gm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 pm

I'm bummed Bembry will miss training camp. I think the pace and space offense will give Bembry, Prince, and JC a lot of drives to the hoop and hopefully a lot of dunks and free throws.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#30 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

Bembry recovered quickly from a preseason triceps injury. In just his second game back, against the Grizzlies on Monday, Bembry showed how he can spark the Hawks as a play-maker, shot creator and defensive nuisance.

“DeAndre can impact the game with individual defense, keeping guys in front of him and making it tough to shoot and finish over him,” Budenholzer said afterward. “I thought on the other end — he drives and kicks it to Ersan (Ilyasova) for a 3 — he gets in the paint and finds other guys. He gets to the free-throw line. When you are getting stops on one end, it’s creating running opportunities and hopefully playing against a defense that’s not set and makes it a lot easier to run the offense.

“I think his defense leads to us play well on both ends. To see him out there moving and attacking and playing, he’s just got a natural feel for the game.”

This kid reminds me a ton of a young Scottie Pippen. Defensive ace, point forward -- this dude has a legit chance to stick in the league for a long time.

Love it. Bembry/Dorsey/Collins should make a great bench crew in a year or two.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#32 » by macd-gm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:48 pm

I was thinking of Bembry as Shawn Marion. Great all around player with a funky jump shot. Although the Matrix's shot was funky but effective and Bembry's is not really that funky but not very effective.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#33 » by MaceCase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:18 pm

macd-gm wrote:I was thinking of Bembry as Shawn Marion. Great all around player with a funky jump shot. Although the Matrix's shot was funky but effective and Bembry's is not really that funky but not very effective.

Matrix wasn't nearly the same type of ball handler/facilitator but more of a slasher off-ball type. Bembry more Iguodala like, I don't see any of the Pippen scoring ability so a potential peak as maybe a 15-5-5 45fg% 34% from 3 guy.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM

Post#34 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Code: Select all

Bembry recovered quickly from a preseason triceps injury. In just his second game back, against the Grizzlies on Monday, Bembry showed how he can spark the Hawks as a play-maker, shot creator and defensive nuisance.

“DeAndre can impact the game with individual defense, keeping guys in front of him and making it tough to shoot and finish over him,” Budenholzer said afterward. “I thought on the other end — he drives and kicks it to Ersan (Ilyasova) for a 3 — he gets in the paint and finds other guys. He gets to the free-throw line. When you are getting stops on one end, it’s creating running opportunities and hopefully playing against a defense that’s not set and makes it a lot easier to run the offense.

“I think his defense leads to us play well on both ends. To see him out there moving and attacking and playing, he’s just got a natural feel for the game.”

This kid reminds me a ton of a young Scottie Pippen. Defensive ace, point forward -- this dude has a legit chance to stick in the league for a long time.

Love it. Bembry/Dorsey/Collins should make a great bench crew in a year or two.

Watching the last game, I said he reminds me of Scottie running the offense except scoring.
I much prefered Scottie handling point than Jordan. He was fluid and always made the right play.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#35 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Gotta love this. It says I'm better than you Baze. Lol.

Coming into this year, I would say I’m probably the best defensive wing player, if not the best defender on the team. I just take the pride on the defensive and believe I can guard anybody.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 pm

DB got a national piece written on his journey in 'THE UNDEFEATED'.

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:59 am

I love the piece they had on Deandre as "Pierre". Lol. Kind of fits him but I honestly like the fro better...either way he's a very smart guy out on the floor..whatever his name is lol..

Ps I hope fans of other cities heckle him by calling him names like fruity Pierre or anything.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm

DeAndre’ Bembry needs a strong start to the season to remain with the Hawks

As his fourth-year option decision looms, the pressure is on for Bembry.

One of those decisions involves the team option on DeAndre’ Bembry’s 2019-20 season, which is due by the end of October, just two weeks into the 2018-19 season. Bembry’s fourth-year option would pay him $2.6 million in 2019-20.

Atlanta will be able to see Bembry in camp and through the first two weeks of the season before their decision is due, but if he’s not clearly better than he has been the past two seasons, then it seems likely that they’ll cut ties with him after the 2018-19 season and find another use for his roster spot.

Through two years with the Hawks, Bembry’s spent more time on the training table than the court, playing just 64 games...without an uptick in his shooting numbers from beyond the arc (he’s just 12-for-48 in those 64 games from three), it’s tough to see how he’ll earn minutes on a regular basis. Being merely a secondary playmaker won’t be enough – he has to be able to essentially play point forward on a regular basis in order to make it work.

All told, the path to Bembry being a useful offensive player is going to require either a massive leap in three-point usage and efficiency or an almost equally massive leap in every other area of his game.

The next two months will be imperative for Bembry to show what he can do. With a host of wings pushing for his minutes this season, the Hawks would have very little reason to continue to develop his game if they decline his option.
Peachtree Hoops
macd-gm
Starter

Re: Does Bembry have a future with the Hawks? 

Post#39 » by macd-gm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:44 pm

I'll go ahead and predict that Bembry is a goner.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Re: Does Bembry have a future with the Hawks? 

Post#40 » by steady » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:04 pm

I predict Hawks do not pick up his option, but he gets to show if he can play this year.

He's still young; arguably has most interesting skill set of the end of bench wings fighting for rotation minutes - including

Tyler Dorsey
Justin Anderson
Daniel Hamilton

- if Bembry can just stay healthy and get his shot to fall, which I get are BIG IFs, he could be useful player for Hawks

Return to Atlanta Hawks