OT: Is Josh Smith's career over?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Re: OT:Is Josh Smith's career over? 

Post#21 » by simon24 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 am

MaceCase wrote:
justicewinslow wrote:I wonder what went through his head after coaches and teammates told him time and time again to not shoot. Like its insanity to do something over and over again expecting a different result...right?

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app

He hired the "hoops whisperer" one summer as a life coach and trainer to reaffirm for him that he doesn't need to listen to them.

That but mostly he was coddled in Atlanta as the hometown kid, person whom the "highlight factory" arena nickname was coined after, and the personal favorite of a former despicable team owner who felt "he is the closest thing to LeBron"...... so coaches that were amongst the lowest paid in the league wouldn't really tear into him or criticize his jumpers since they valued job security. Then he predominantly shared the locker room with only two guys that were on his level in Joe Johnson who doesn't say anything to anyone and Al Horford who only complains through his family members.

So....You could probably say that he went almost 10 years in the league before a fellow coach or player actually told him to stop shooting and we see how well that turned out with his stints in LA and Detroit.

Yeah, Josh is one of those players that would have really benefited either going to college or joining a veteran team with established leadership like the Pistons, Spurs, Lakers etc.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#22 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm

simon24 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Letting Josh walk was an underrated move by the Hawks.
Since Detroit dumped him he has not recovered. He will spend the rest of his career on 1 year deals.

I wish ATL would have taken a trade for him. ATL got to stop letting players walk for nothing.

That would have been ideal but the offers for Josh AT THAT TIME would have limited our ability to sign Millsap as a free agent that offseason because we would be getting guys with 2+ years left on their contracts.
I wanted him traded when Joe was too.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Unable to land NBA deal, Josh Smith signs 3-month contract in China

The former Rockets forward is heading to China

After failing to draw interest from NBA teams this summer, Josh Smith is reportedly heading overseas to play in China. According to international reporter David Pick, Smith has signed a three-month $1.5 million deal to play for the Sichuan Whales in the Chinese Basketball Association. By signing just for three months, Smith will be able to keep his hopes of latching on with an NBA team when his contract is up.

Smith's fall from grace came when he signed a max-deal with the Detroit Pistons in 2013. Never truly meshing in Detroit, Smith didn't live up to the expectations of his contract and he waived by the Pistons in 2014. Smith's lack shooting and seemingly poor disposition contributed to his struggles in Detroit and in his stops in Houston and Los Angeles.

This was in stark contrast to his prime, where for nine seasons with the Atlanta Hawks, Smith was always a borderline All-Star and was a versatile scorer and defender.
Here

Dude is approaching 'cautionary tale' status in NBA circles.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#24 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:33 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Smoove has his flaws, but his athleticism has gone down since leaving the Pistons. His tweener build and lack of speed now has really hurt his defense, which is fine for a 30yr pro athlete. Alot of super athletes like Smoove don't last long, like Rose, Steve Francis, Murbery, Dominique, Penny. The only super athlete i can think of off the top of my head that has had a long career is Vince Carter, and Vince was able to survive his decline in athleticism because he focused on his 3pt shooting and is now an above average 3pt shooter.

Smoove's career arch is nothing new. I expect him to play a few years in China or Europe before he officially retires.

This is nothing new. I called it almost a year ago. I knew Josh would be playing over seas this season. This is just the natural course of any pro basketball player, to go overseas and use their height against lesser competition when their athleticism runs out. The only aged NBA players who can find an NBA team and retire in the NBA are the ones who can shoot and Smoove isn't one of them.
Yungsta404
Bench Warmer
And1: 470

Re: OT: Is Josh Smith's career over? 

Post#25 » by Yungsta404 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:57 pm

yea he the reason he isn't in the NBA is because of his decline in athleticism :roll:

TRU2ATL
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#26 » by TRU2ATL » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:56 pm

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#27 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Josh had 40pts, no dunks, just alot of layups, he defiantly has lost alot of athleticism. His zipping down the court and monster dunk days are over.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:19 am

He has openly said that he's broke.
Regardless if that's true I doubt he ever plays in the NBA again.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:22 pm

HMFFL wrote:He has openly said that he's broke.

Wow. So he's a blockhead on the court and off of it.

Lucky for him, he's still collecting a check from Detroit every year as part of being waived and the stretch provision used to accommodate it.

It's hard to say I am truly surprised, though. His behavior was very telling through his decade run in ATL. 35 year old Josh Smith is gonna be racked with regret once his playing days are truly over.

So much wasted potential.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:35 year old Josh Smith is gonna be racked with regret once his playing days are truly over.

So much wasted potential.

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Josh Smith has been waived by the New Orleans Pelicans.
Smith was signed on Oct. 28th by the Pelicans using the hardship exception.
Smith played in China last season.
Wiretap

This feels like the final nail in the coffin. Dude didn't last two weeks. :nonono:

There was a time when folks on this board considered him untouchable. A rising star.

I honestly do feel bad for the guy.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 17, 2020 2:40 pm

An interesting epilogue on J-Smoove, who has officially received his final paycheck from an NBA team.

Josh Smith contract obituary: A player who could do everything amounting to nothing

Josh Smith is off the books: AKA the last Josh Smith story we will ever need to write

No player symbolizes Joe Dumars’ career as a basketball executive more than Josh Smith.

Smith figured prominently into Dumars’ greatest triumph, the 2004 NBA Championship, and was also the centerpiece free agent acquisition in the supersized with super-limited range lineup experiment that proved to be Dumars’ final ignoble act running the Detroit Pistons. The Pistons finally stop paying for that costly experiment after this season officially comes to an end — they used the stretch provision when they cut Smith nearly six (!) years ago, prolonging the amount of time they paid him but reducing the yearly salary cap hit — an unforced error of the ill-fated Stan Van Gundy regime, but I digress.
Detroit -- SB Nation

Return to Atlanta Hawks