The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta 

Post#181 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Regarding on the court concerns, Bud and Trav's comments on Media Day shine some light on how DS could be used this season.
_
Read on Twitter

--

Mike Cunningham: Last year was Dennis Schroder’s first as a starter and he pretty much proved himself to be solid. Is there more for him?

Travis: I think so. He’s only 24-years old. I don’t know how close you watched Eurobasket but he really played well over there. I haven’t had a chance to spend a ton of time with him but everyone I’ve talked to (says) his growth not only on the court but as a person has really been great. One of the things people forget, he didn’t grow up in the United States. There’s a cultural change between growing up in Germany and growing up in Atlanta. That takes some time.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#182 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Hawks now are Schroder’s show

At his pre-draft news conference Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer called Schroder a “unique” talent. The coach indicated that he will seek more ways to fashion the offense around Schroder’s speed and ability to get to the basket.

...the Hawks are making it a point to signal that the Hawks are Schroder’s show now. That seems obvious because Schroder is the most talented player on the roster and, at 24-years old this month, brimming with star potential. But it’s got to mean something that the GM and the coach are saying it early and often.

With that comes the acknowledgement that, through his first four years, Schroder has been a mercurial talent. In his fifth season the Hawks need Schroder, their longest-tenured player, to grow up fast and be the point guard who leads.

Schroder says he’s ready.

...from Schroder, when asked what he has to do better: “Everything. Leadership. Shooting. Finishing at the basket. Young players, they are looking up to me now. I’ve got to do everything professional and try to be a role model for them.”

“Coach told me already he switched the system a little big playing-wise,” Schroder said. “We ain’t got Dwight no more, who was in the paint a lot. I think the pace is really important for us now. We try to play as fasts as possible. I think it is going to be a little change but I think everybody is prepared for it. Everybody worked all summer with it. It’s going to be great.”
AJC

I hope DS is prepared for this. The spotlight will shine brightest on him for this season. The tide turned against the last two 'faces of the franchise' (Smoove, Horford) when they struggled. Wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened to Dennis over the next 9 months...
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#183 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Hawks now are Schroder’s show

At his pre-draft news conference Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer called Schroder a “unique” talent. The coach indicated that he will seek more ways to fashion the offense around Schroder’s speed and ability to get to the basket.

...the Hawks are making it a point to signal that the Hawks are Schroder’s show now. That seems obvious because Schroder is the most talented player on the roster and, at 24-years old this month, brimming with star potential. But it’s got to mean something that the GM and the coach are saying it early and often.

With that comes the acknowledgement that, through his first four years, Schroder has been a mercurial talent. In his fifth season the Hawks need Schroder, their longest-tenured player, to grow up fast and be the point guard who leads.

Schroder says he’s ready.

...from Schroder, when asked what he has to do better: “Everything. Leadership. Shooting. Finishing at the basket. Young players, they are looking up to me now. I’ve got to do everything professional and try to be a role model for them.”

“Coach told me already he switched the system a little big playing-wise,” Schroder said. “We ain’t got Dwight no more, who was in the paint a lot. I think the pace is really important for us now. We try to play as fasts as possible. I think it is going to be a little change but I think everybody is prepared for it. Everybody worked all summer with it. It’s going to be great.”
AJC

I hope DS is prepared for this. The spotlight will shine brightest on him for this season. The tide turned against the last two 'faces of the franchise' (Smoove, Horford) when they struggled. Wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened to Dennis over the next 9 months...

I never saw either Josh or Al as the face of the franchise. I saw Josh as the player ooozing talent but he had a 10 cent head to go with his million dollar talent. I always said he could have the most impact on a game - good and bad all in one play (block a shot then make a horrible half court pass that hits the backboard not once but twice in one game :-? ). Al, I saw as a leader of the team on the floor just not the 'face' to rally around. Never a cornerstone piece but a piece of the overall puzzle, a cog in the machine. Teams never game planned to stop him or Josh. They will with Dennis.

Dennis' coach from the German National team has already said he has already shown improvement as a leader on and off the court while playing in Euro league. He just needs to continue doing that. Will he succeed? He has every chance to do so - it'll be up to him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 pm

I don't think we're talking about the same thing in regards to 'face of the franchise'.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#185 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:58 pm

I thought this was interesting... (article I posted in the Dwightmare thread)

there was a reference to the locker room culture being pro-Dennis Schröder when compared to Howard and further illustration on how often Howard wanted the ball and was unhappy in his role. Arnovitz then commented on Howard’s public persona versus the reality of what is felt within the locker room dynamic:

"It's funny, because I think everyone has the impression that it's the goofiness and the fart jokes and everything else but, actually, no... He's a downer the minute he perceives that he's not fulfilling his role in the offense."

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/9/26/16369036/atlanta-hawks-dwight-howard-trade-reaction-jubilation
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#186 » by macd-gm » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:48 pm

I just don't know how believable that jubilation story is. Maybe Dennis was happy. but who else of significance was there after the season to even care? Unless Paul thought he was coming back.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#187 » by Spud2nique » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 pm

macd-gm wrote:I just don't know how believable that jubilation story is. Maybe Dennis was happy. but who else of significance was there after the season to even care? Unless Paul thought he was coming back.

Ahhhh to be a fly in hat room. But ya I think Dennis kinda hated Dwight. I recall a few times last year where Dennis and Dwight got into it and Dwight was yelling at Dennis. I dunno he's gone and I'm pretty happy. Like others have said and I'm in the same boat, I gave him a clean slate but he ruined it so Dwight is Dwight to me, nothing changed.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#188 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm

macd-gm wrote:I just don't know how believable that jubilation story is. Maybe Dennis was happy. but who else of significance was there after the season to even care? Unless Paul thought he was coming back.

What's more telling is that NONE of his teammates gave him a twitter shout out or made any comments AFTER the trade. They were all silent.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#189 » by MaceCase » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:55 am

jayu70 wrote:

What's more telling is that NONE of his teammates gave him a twitter shout out or made any comments AFTER the trade. They were all silent.

Delaney Staned for him a lil, well he retweeted the Hawks twitter thank you.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#190 » by Spud2nique » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:51 pm

It certainly does...
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#191 » by ATL Boy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Boy, this is not good. A battery charge right before the season starts.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#192 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:23 pm

Mike Cunningham wrote:Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he’s ready to lead Hawks

Brookhaven Police arrested Hawks guard Dennis Schroder at 2 a.m. this morning on a misdemeanor battery charge. I never take a police report as gospel truth (remember Thabo Sefolosha?) and Schroder is entitled to his day in court. But this is not a good look for the player.

According to the police report, a video of the incident showed Schroder “initiate contact” with the victim in the parking lot outside of a hookah bar on Buford Highway...if there is video that shows [this], then it was a spectacularly dumb and immature move by Schroder.

He’s the best Hawks player left during this rebuild. He’s a budding star at 24-years old, and the Hawks need this to be his team. They are showcasing Schroder heavily in their marketing push.

With so much at stake, what the hell is Schroder doing (allegedly) getting in a fight outside of a hookah bar?

Incidents like this just reinforce the perception that Schroder is not ready to be the face of the Hawks.
myAJC

This could be a huge blow for the already hurting Hawks. Schroder became the face of their franchise in the offseason following the departures of Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard. Schroder signed a four-year, $70 million extension with the team prior to last season and assumed the role of starting point guard. He averaged 17.9 points and 6.3 rebounds in 79 games, leading the Hawks to the No. 5 seed in the Eastern Conference.
Bleacher Report
macd-gm
Starter

Post#193 » by macd-gm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Grow up already. Can't wait for the half hearted apology.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#194 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:39 pm

macd-gm wrote:Can't wait for the half hearted apology.

I hope he reads it from a pre-written statement. Those are the MOST heartfelt IMO.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#195 » by macd-gm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:46 pm

i..want..to say that um i let myself down and my coach and teammates...um and the fans...please come do DS17 lounge this weekend and i will sign autographs for free and your first drink is half price.
mcfromage
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#196 » by mcfromage » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 am

Any ideas on a possible suspension here? Any ideas if he got hurt in the scuffle?
TheExpat
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#197 » by TheExpat » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Schroder got in a fight at a rival bar? Turf war.
- Man is something that must be surpassed. Nietzsche
jayu70
RealGM

Post#198 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:22 pm

mcfromage wrote:Any ideas on a possible suspension here? Any ideas if he got hurt in the scuffle?

Per the CBA, players don't get suspended from just being arrested. He'll have to plead guilty or something like that. And as we've seen from other cases, these cases take awhile to be settled.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#199 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 2, 2017 12:20 pm

Mike Cunningham wrote:Hawks guard Schroder on arrest: ‘Everybody makes mistakes'

The arrest is the latest off-court incident for Schroder.

Coach Mike Budenholzer sat Schroder for a handful of games during the 2015-16 season after the two clashed.

The Hawks suspended Schroder for a game without pay last season when he reported back late from the All-Star break, and Schroder did not start the next game after he was late for a team bus.

Schroder’s arrest came days after Budenholzer and first-year general manager Travis Schlenk praised his increased maturity.
AJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#200 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 5, 2017 5:18 pm

duplicate

Return to Atlanta Hawks