Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta 

Post#261 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm

jayu70 wrote:Kobe on Dennis...

https://youtu.be/tZAuZZ4Zt1I?t=44

Dennis doesn't back down from anyone for sure. Is his game improving though? I don't see anything new in his arsenal that he added over the summer. His outside jumper has certainly improved over the years but I still don't see a huge improvement in those passes. I'm not expecting no look Magic Johnson passes to thread the needle but he needs to improve in this area in my opinion.

Right now I'd easily trade Dennis for a guaranteed top 7 pick in this year's draft. But like Jay mentioned, the pick needs to be specified and set and that won't happen until draft night.

Wouldn't it be a shocker if we traded Dennis to the Calfs for that Nets pick and Jae Crowder..(matching up salaries with Belinelli or Ersan or somebody)..

Would you?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,952

Post#262 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

Wouldn't it be a shocker if we traded Dennis to the Calfs for that Nets pick and Jae Crowder..(matching up salaries with Belinelli or Ersan or somebody)..

Would you?

The Nets pick is currently the #9 pick. With our luck BKN gets a PG with the Lin DPE then start winning.
Until I know what number pick Dennis gets us - I'm holding unto him.
(Teague got us #12)
Jae Crowder hasn't looked good this season so far.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#263 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:29 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Would you?

The Nets pick is currently the #9 pick. With our luck BKN gets a PG with the Lin DPE then start winning.
Until I know what number pick Dennis gets us - I'm holding unto him.
(Teague got us #12)
Jae Crowder hasn't looked good this season so far.

YES! We need a number...give us a number..

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,534

Post#264 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Right now I'd easily trade Dennis for a guaranteed top 7 pick in this year's draft.

Would you?

In a heartbeat, mon ami.

1. Travis has some sincere belief in his own drafting skill. And getting a second lottery pick in next summer's draft (while clearing additional cap space for 2018 Free Agency) so Schlenk can build his ideal roster -- sounds wonderful.

2. Jae Crowder has been a coveted trade piece around this league for a number of years. His value hasn't been compromised because of 1 subpar month on a dysfunctional roster. He could be moved rather easily.

2b. (Packaging Crowder and Dedmon in trade to a needy team could garner us incredible value)

NOTE: If we got control of BRK's 1st rounder, I'd make the Nets an offer for Caris LeVert and/or RHJ in exchange for a future pick or prospect. Thus ensuring they get a future controllable asset while getting worse for the rest of the season. (And cementing us a second top 10 draft spot.)
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#265 » by ATL Boy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm with Jayu on this one, when it comes to trading Dennis for the Crowder and the Nets pick in that I wouldn't do it because we have no idea where that pick will land at the end of the season.

Kenny Atkinson has that team fighting and playing well, it just seems like too much of a risk given the fact that Dennis is our best trade piece. I'd rather let him average 20 and 7 for the season and then try to move him in the offseason (draft night?) for something a bit more concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#266 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:19 pm

^And this makes 100% sense.

But that pick is at #6 today and could get even higher with D Russell and J Lin both out...

Admittedly, it'd be a gamble.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#267 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:47 am

Read on Twitter

On-Off Defensive Rating

This needs to be presented with some important context. Especially as it relates to the reflection of Schroder’s defensive performance this season as compared to last season. Last year he usually had Paul Millsap and/or Dwight Howard behind him in the defensive half court. This year he does not have that luxury.

Also, the Hawks are playing a completely different defensive scheme this season. Last year they played a lot of drop pick and roll coverage because of the defensive profile of Howard. This season they are playing more of what they call “push” coverage against the pick and roll. They are also incorporating a lot of match up zone principles this season. As they continue to work on the scheme adjustments the Hawks currently rank 24th in defensive rating. And it would be surprising if under the direction of Coach Mike Budenholzer that they don’t starting advancing toward performing like at least a league average defense at some point this season.

Early in this season, Schröder did not look confident and did not seem to be playing with much effort. In my observation, the effort has been on the uptick in the last few games (throwing the game versus the Raptors out across the board). 

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#268 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm

AJC takes on this subject as well:

Schroder, a defensive liability, says he wants to be better

Schroder needs to get much better on defense. There’s lots of statistical evidence that he’s been bad defensively but just watch a few Hawks games and it becomes apparent.

My view is that he just didn’t give consistent effort at that end, and goes long stretches where it appears he’s not trying to defend much at all.

Certainly his teammates and coaches see it, too.

“Team defense, I think everybody can get better,” Schroder said after Hawks practice today. “But it starts with me..."

It’s not easy for a high-usage offensive player like Schroder to also be a good defender. This is especially true for Schroder because he creates so much of his offense by constantly driving to the basket. That’s got to take a physical toll on Schroder, whose usage rate is 15th-highest in the league.

Yet if Schroder wants to be more than just a pretty good NBA starter, he likely will have to find a way to do both. Better focus and conditioning might help Schroder be a better defender.

There’s lots of statistical evidence that he’s been bad defensively:

• Schroder’s defensive rating (114.3) is the worst by far among Hawks players.
  • Schroder ranks next-to-last among NBA point guards in ESPN’s Defensive Real Plus-Minus metric.
  • Statistically, Schroder has been a bit better offensively this season but he’s been so much worse defensively that it’s hurting the Hawks.
myAJC
jayu70
RealGM

Post#269 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm glad he recognizes that, now put it into action.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#270 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Dec 3, 2017 2:56 pm

Phoenix fan here do you think the following would be considered for Schroder?

Miami 1st, Miami 1st, Milwaukee 1st, Memphis 2nd, Toronto 2nd, Marquese Chriss.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

The Dennis Schroder Era begins in Atlanta 

Post#271 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:33 pm

^Yes. It would strongly be considered.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#272 » by jayu70 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 6:17 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Phoenix fan here do you think the following would be considered for Schroder?

Seems like quantity over quality. i'm not opposed to trading Dennis but that will only be when I know what pick slot it is.
LamarHampton
Freshman
And1: 85

Post#273 » by LamarHampton » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:54 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Phoenix fan here do you think the following would be considered for Schroder?

Probably would get to attention of the Hawks FO just because of the value of rookie contracts in the new salary era where players like Kent Bazemore and Miles Plumlee get $19M & $12.5M/yr. none of those picks are going to make anyone salivate but the quantity might give serious reason to consider
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#274 » by MaceCase » Mon Dec 4, 2017 11:17 am

Here's a list of the protections

-Miami 2018 1st: top 7 protected in 2018, unprotected in 2019 (Miami currently projected at pick 13 so pick will convey).

-Miami 2021 1st: unprotected.

-Milwaukee 2018 1st: top 10 and 17-30 protected in 2018, top 3 and 17-30 protected in 2019, top 7 protected 2020, unprotected in 2021 (Milwaukee currently projected at pick 20 so the pick will not convey).

-Memphis 2018 2nd: receive the 2nd most favorable of Memphis, Charlotte, and Miami (Charlotte currently projected at pick 40).

-Toronto 2018 2nd: unprotected (Toronto currently projected at pick 56)

It really is a trade of 5 pennies for a nickel unless Schlenk is banking on that 2021 Miami pick to have Darko level fruition and the Bucks to have a string of alternating success and calamity over that same time span. So far it's the #13, #40, #56, and Chriss who has shown far more character issues than upside for Dennis.

Seems a little light considering that the Hawks were able to get a #12 for an expiring Teague. I'd suggest Schroder and Bazemore for that pick package including Monroe and Dudley (would prefer Len but he effectively has a NTC). Although there isn't as much of an impetus to get rid of Bazemore's salary on a rebuilding team the cap savings may bring the value closer together. Either that or pick swaps and or protections of Pheonix's own pick(s) need to be added.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,640

Post#275 » by kg01 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:33 pm

Guys, is Dennis a weak defender?

I keep seeing this but I've always thought he was a pretty good on-ball defender.
king01 :king:
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#276 » by macd-gm » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:50 pm

kg01 wrote:Guys, is Dennis a weak defender?

I keep seeing this but I've always thought he was a pretty good on-ball defender.

I know the stats this year are saying otherwise but I honestly don't completely understand some of the defensive stats. I will say that he seems to get picked pretty easily and can't catch up to his guy. Sometimes looks like he's saving energy on the defensive end.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#277 » by jayu70 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:54 pm

macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:Guys, is Dennis a weak defender?

I know the stats this year are saying otherwise but I honestly don't completely understand some of the defensive stats. I will say that he seems to get picked pretty easily and can't catch up to his guy. Sometimes looks like he's saving energy on the defensive end.

As a sub off the bench he used to pick up guys full court, he doesn't and can't do that anymore being the primary offensive option. He used to manuevre screens better in his early years, like mac-d said he's been bad at getting picked off quire easily. Last game he did a better job.
His off ball defense is horrible. His effort on the defensive end is lacking more so than his ability.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,640

Post#278 » by kg01 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:58 pm

Yeah, I always thought it was an 'effort' thing not an 'ability' thing. Meaning, when we were trying to win he was a plus defender.

In addition to that, as his offensive role increased, his defensive effort waned. Whether that should be the case is a whole other discussion but the point (for me) is that he's actually a pretty good defender although the nimbers will certainly now show that this season.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#279 » by jayu70 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:06 pm

kg01 wrote:Yeah, I always thought it was an 'effort' thing not an 'ability' thing. Meaning, when we were trying to win he was a plus defender.

In addition to that, as his offensive role increased, his defensive effort waned. Whether that should be the case is a whole other discussion but the point (for me) is that he's actually a pretty good defender although the nimbers will certainly now show that this season.

When Dennis wants to be, against other top PGs in biig games he can laser focus in - other times he's laissez-faire.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#280 » by MaceCase » Mon Dec 4, 2017 6:53 pm

Dennis has always had bad defensive metrics and from the eye test it's clear why he doesn't have much ability there. He may show Bazeian levels of effort but too often the results would be the same because he's too slight. Even when he'd pick up guys full court the standard move was never to dribble in front of him because he can actually get a poke in at the ball. Guys would instead dribble one direction, get a shoulder into Dennis and then spin move to the other direction and Dennis would be completely dislodged and now chasing the ball handler from behind. That and he ball watches off-ball often losing his man.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core

Return to Atlanta Hawks