Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 6, 2017 1:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Jarrett Allen spent a long day in Atlanta on Monday.

The early-entry candidate had a grueling pre-draft workout with the Hawks. He also had both lunch and dinner with members of the coaching staff and front office. It was well into the evening before the freshman center out of Texas was done with his visit.

The Hawks like to have big men on the roster who can stretch the floor and hit outside shots. That’s a part of his game that Allen knows he needs continued improvement.

“They were telling me they try to play the new basketball [style],” Allen said. "I feel like I can have a pretty decent back-to-the-basket and face-up game...I know my shot is definitely developing more. In working out, I’ve been able to knock down the 3-pointer. It’s definitely the way the NBA is going.”

Hmmmmmm
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#62 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm starting to watch alot of film of Tyler Lydon. He looks pretty good. He could be this year's Chandler Parsons, or Paul Millsap. Combo forward who is a good rebounder with a good face up game. Like Parsons, Lydon could be a guy under the radar in the draft but who might be a solid NBA starter 5 years down the line, while the majority of guys drafted above him are struggling to make an NBA team.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#63 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 6, 2017 2:54 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm starting to watch alot of film of Tyler Lydon. He looks pretty good. He could be this year's Chandler Parsons, or Paul Millsap.

So, you see him as a viable option at #31?
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#64 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Jun 6, 2017 9:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I'm starting to watch alot of film of Tyler Lydon. He looks pretty good. He could be this year's Chandler Parsons, or Paul Millsap.

Haven't done my homework on 2nd rounders yet, but as I saw Lydon name pop up as a late first rounder, I immediately started thinking he could be our guy at 31. Watching some tape on him, his jumper is as wet as they come from the college ranks. Seems to be his best feature, and will transition to the NBA. High IQ player, who makes quick and decisive decisions. Very unselfish. Can create some offense for himself, but it's not his strong suit. Good, off the bounce athlete, and with his IQ, it helps make up for his lateral quickness, which seems to be an issue for him. He's more of a team defense kind of guy, than he is lock-down defender. If we're picking him at 31, I think we get a steal. I could see teams ahead of us take him late in the first. Chandler Parsons is a good comp for him. Maybe even spot on. I don't see Sap at all though unless you're referencing 2nd round pick kind of guy that flourishes.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 11:39 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Tyler Lydon, Caleb Swanigan, Alec Peters, and Jaron Blossomgame are the four guys i'm looking at. #31 would be good, but i would also be ok with #19 if the coaching staff really believes in the guy.

The point is to try to find the diamond in the second round, Parsons, Boozer, Millsap, Draymond, Jimmy Butler.

At the end of the day, you just want to draft a guy who will have a +10yr career. All the guys listed above had bad measurable in college but had a good IQ, so that's why alot of fans and scouts labeled them as "low ceiling, but can contribute right away". So i'm ok with getting a player who can contribute right away with a low ceiling, because that low ceiling stuff is really just nonsense.

Putting measurable aside, i just want to get a guy that the coaching staff believes in, just look at how close Larry Drew was to drafting Draymond Green...

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2012/6/20/3098991/nba-draft-2012-draymond-green-hawks
http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-hawks/2012/6/20/3098950/2012-nba-draft-draymond-green-hawks
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2017 12:23 pm

Jonathan Jeanne, an NBA draft prospect from France widely projected to go in the first round later this month, has been diagnosed with a genetic connective-tissue disorder that threatens his career, his agent told The Vertical on Thursday.

Jeanne, a 7-foot-2 center projected by ESPN's Chad Ford to be the 23rd overall pick in the June 22 draft, was found to have Marfan syndrome...
ESPN

Tough break.

This is a guy who might be worth a flier in Round 2. #31 seems too high, but maybe we trade back and get him in the 40s.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:30 pm

Read on Twitter

A second look at a PF expected to go in the 2nd round.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#68 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

C-Viv wrote:Schlenk mentioned (without names) the team is looking at nine players at the No. 19 spot. Here are nine players I think the Hawks could be targeting if they indeed go big man with the first selection:

* Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona

* Zach Collins, PF/C, Gonzaga

* Jarrett Allen, C, Texas

* John Collins, PF, Wake Forest

* Justin Patton, C, Creighton

* Ike Anigbogu, C, UCLA

* Harry Giles, PF, Duke

* T.J. Leaf, PF, UCLA

* Ivan Rabb, PF/C, California
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:33 pm

Could this be our Draymond Green?

Would another non-shooter simply be too problematic to add to a core(?) of DS and Dwight?

Is this kid too much of a Josh Smith clone?

Dream Draft Target for Atlanta

OG Anunoby, Forward, Indiana

This year’s draft could yield an intriguing prospect or two in Atlanta’s range at No. 19. The most intriguing is Indiana’s O.G. Anunoby, a versatile forward who might have been a legit lottery prospect if not for season-ending knee surgery. Anunoby’s defensive ability should get him on the floor early, though he’ll have to work on his shot to stick around, as Bleacher Report’s Jonathan Wasserman noted:

“He still can't create his own shot, but he did shoot 70.1 percent inside the arc as a sophomore, a tribute to his athleticism and efficient shot selection. Atlanta coaches will want to work day and night to help Anunoby improve his 31.1 percent three-point stroke and 56.3 percent mark from the line.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#70 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 am

Looking at 2 bigs from the Big 10, Caleb Swanigan and D.J Wilson look like 2 possible steals in the draft, and pieces to build for the future with that compliment each others game.

Caleb Swanigan just seems to make to much sense at 31. Sap seems like the perfect comparison. Both undersized guys, with high productivity in college, and great intangibles. Swanigan has a great work ethic as well. Lost 100 pounds since high school, and improved his offensive game to be a highly productive big man in the big 10 with 18/12 while shooting 44% from 3 amid family controversy. Good passer from both post spots. Defense is shaky and he's somewhat limited on offense when creating on his own, but with his work ethic, I think he improves and makes the leap to being a true 2 way force. He's already an excellent rebounder. Worst case scenario, he becomes a great role player off the bench.

D.J Wilson caught my eye in the Big 10 tournament. Reading up on him, I noticed he grew like 3 inches late in high school, and played more as a guard throughout HS before that occurred. Which probably led to him not being an impact player early in his college career. I noticed that he still plays like a guard or perimeter player, but has developed his skills to take advantage of his physical tools. He's very agile, and light on his feet, and runs the floors smoothly. Makes great cuts to the basket, but can handle the ball well for a big man. Also has NBA range on his 3. moves really well in the post with excellent footwork. A little soft as a big since he's wiry and not all the way filled out just yet, but that's probably a good thing considering he's like 230 now, and has room to add muscle to his frame. The defensive side is where he can make a big impact on with his physical tools and timing on blocks. Showed potential to defend 1-5. Kinda feels like an Anthony Davis lite kind of prospect. Elite physical tools of a big man, with guard instincts and abilities. He's just so versatile. Worst case scenario, he's a stretch 4 off the bench.

I wouldn't be upset at all if we took both these guys in the draft.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#73 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am

I'm on the Swanigan hype train at 31. Watching some of his games he's passed the eye test for me. He had some great offensive production while having the opposing defense locked in on him as Purdue's primary option.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#74 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:41 am

Hoping Schlenk moves up for J Isaac, maybe #19 and the minny pick for #7? In this senario, I'd look for Hartenstein / Swanigan at #31.

If he sticks at #19, I'd go Patton / Allen / J Jackson / Rabb / Leaf and same two as above

T'd be very happy with:

Isaac / Hart or Patton / Hart; two bigs to develop with Schro / Prince
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I really want to like this guy. I'm trying to find any excuse for the Hawks to draft him..... but at the end of the day, his injury history just keeps ringing in my head. Greg Oden, Sam Bowie comes to mind.

Can anybody think of an NBA player who had multiple knee injuries in college, but then ended up being a good to all-star player in the NBA?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#76 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Yeah, that's why he's not on my list, maybe at 31
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#77 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:

I really want to like this guy. I'm trying to find any excuse for the Hawks to draft him..... but at the end of the day, his injury history just keeps ringing in my head. Greg Oden, Sam Bowie comes to mind.

Can anybody think of an NBA player who had multiple knee injuries in college, but then ended up being a good to all-star player in the NBA?

Very good points. I, too, really like him.

I think the difference when speaking of guys like Bowie and Oden...all-time greats were passed up to draft them.

I have doubts we'll be bypassing generational talent at #19 should we draft Giles.

It's a tough call with a high risk, though. If HG falls all the way to us, I'd be okay taking a shot at a high ceiling young player like him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#78 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter

New Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk said he is open to trading up to get into the top of the draft but it’s not a priority.

“I don’t feel a lot of pressure to move up,” Schlenk told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It’s not like I’m sitting here saying we’ve got to get the 10th pick in the draft. I don’t think it will be that easy.”

“How do we get to — I’ll throw a number out there — the top 10?,” Schlenk said. “Obviously, we aren’t going to be able to do that with just (pick Nos.) 19 and 31. Then you are talking about having to give up a player or a future asset. If we did move up, who are we taking? Do we think that will be one of our cornerstones as we look at the long-term process of hopefully becoming a contender?”
myAJC
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 pm

The consensus on Giles is the knee is a huge factor. I to am looking for a reason to just take him if he is there, but that injury history has me skeptical.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Kyrie Irving and Kanter both hand injuries in their one year of college, but both Kyrie and Kanter's injuries where just toe injuries

Knees seem to be a different story.

Vince Carter was able to successfully still be productive when his knees and athleticism went away, but that is largely due to Vince's above average 3pt shot. Watching Giles more and more, I just don't see him having an elite mid range or 3pt shooting for him to fall back on if his knees go out.

Return to Atlanta Hawks