ImageImage

Help me Understand the Atlanta Hawks

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

heyPlayer
Sophomore
And1: 32

Help me Understand the Atlanta Hawks 

Post#1 » by heyPlayer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 am

They seem to be a very streaky and unstable team. They've beaten the Spurs, Cavs at Cleveland, and several other impressive teams, yet they've also lost to minnesota both times, to orlando at home, pelicans at home, etc.

They're on like a 6 game winning streak right now. They have the BEST record in the NBA for a team that is a NEGATIVE ppg vs opponent ppg average....

How does the rest of the season look for ATL? Are they just getting lucky, or just playing their cards just right so far to get W's?
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Re: Help me Understand the Atlanta Hawks 

Post#2 » by MaceCase » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am

They get up for good teams and overlook bad teams. The current streak coincides with them not overlooking the bad teams so much while still getting up for good teams. It's also been a struggle between the coach adapting his old principles to the strengths of the new roster but there appears to finally be a compromise.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#3 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm of the assumption that we have been trying to function not having a the versatile center that can space the floor, because we now have one that is a post presence that dominate the boards, but also clogs the lane a bit.

In the past, we probably could have gotten away with that since Korver was always lights out, and Baze was actually more useful than he is now, but of course, KK is gone and Baze is just awful at times.

Those issues combined with also incorporating some rookies into the rotation causes inconsistency. I to believe that there does seem to be some compromise though between Buds adapting old principles to the new roster, and the results is the win streak we are currently on.

Still think we need a shooter in the starting lineup that can shoot/create from the perimeter(Gallo/Heyward). We're like one of the worst teams at shooting from the perimeter after being a competent one. For obvious reasons though. No Korver. No Horford. Baze sucking it up. Dennis not being the shooter Teague was.

At the end of the day, we're still a top 4 team in the East, and may actually be better constructed to make a run in the playoffs if we can still add a perimeter threat.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:48 pm

Agree on both posts. It also seems like the bench has regained its footing a bit after some serious struggles (in the middle of the losing run) which were preceded by a dynamite start to the season (during the 9-2 stretch).

Malcolm Delaney (who was really good to start and really bad to follow up) has been good lately, Thabo Sefolosha and Mike Muscala have been consistent, while Tim Hardaway Jr. has just exploded since the turn of the New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#5 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:46 pm

The starting wings were/are underperforming (Baze and Kent).
The bench started off the season on a tear.
The schedule for a stretch was brutal.

Moving Korver to the bench helped.
Millsap talked to Bud about changing the defensive strategy and it's paying dividends.

Just came across this:

The lineup of Dennis Schröder, Thabo Sefolosha, Kent Bazemore, Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard has been the league’s most efficient defensive group (minimum 100 minutes played).

Return to Atlanta Hawks