Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Trade assets - current draft picks 

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:00 pm

Mark Bradley wrote:The rebuilding Atlanta Hawks and the value of draft picks

You might think this is a silly trade: Getting Jamal Crawford and a Round 1 pick in next year’s draft...nowhere near the lottery. You may think: What’s the point?

Asset acquisition.

The Atlanta Hawks are rebuilding. And how does a rebuilding team get players? Via draft picks or trades.

The more assets you have, the better your opportunities to leverage them. As it stands, the Hawks figure to have three Round 1 picks in the 2018 draft — theirs, Houston’s and Minnesota’s.

Regarding the Minny pick -- it won’t be in the lottery, but still.

The point remains: When you don’t have many good players, you must collect every asset you can find.

A draft pick might seem like nothing. It isn’t nothing. For the rebuilding Hawks, the draft is the only way up. If Crawford can bring another Round 1 pick, all the better.
myAJC

It's painful right now. Watching all these assets/players/contracts bandied about and not getting in on the action. But necessary. We should have been acquiring assets the last couple of years. Adding top young talent to that 60 win team to extend the window.

Now, we are acquiring assets and starting from scratch. It's absolutely necessary. But painful to watch. It'll get even more so, sooner than later.

When Bud and Dennis leave in the next few years...that'll be as tough as watching AL and Paul walk away. :cry:
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#23 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 6:38 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Mark Bradley wrote:The rebuilding Atlanta Hawks and the value of draft picks

You might think this is a silly trade: Getting Jamal Crawford and a Round 1 pick in next year’s draft...nowhere near the lottery. You may think: What’s the point?

Asset acquisition.

The Atlanta Hawks are rebuilding. And how does a rebuilding team get players? Via draft picks or trades.

The more assets you have, the better your opportunities to leverage them. As it stands, the Hawks figure to have three Round 1 picks in the 2018 draft — theirs, Houston’s and Minnesota’s.

Regarding the Minny pick -- it won’t be in the lottery, but still.

The point remains: When you don’t have many good players, you must collect every asset you can find.

A draft pick might seem like nothing. It isn’t nothing. For the rebuilding Hawks, the draft is the only way up. If Crawford can bring another Round 1 pick, all the better.
myAJC

It's painful right now. Watching all these assets/players/contracts bandied about and not getting in on the action. But necessary. We should have been acquiring assets the last couple of years. Adding top young talent to that 60 win team to extend the window.

Now, we are acquiring assets and starting from scratch. It's absolutely necessary. But painful to watch. It'll get even more so, sooner than later.

When Bud and Dennis leave in the next few years...that'll be as tough as watching AL and Paul walk away. :cry:

When I was growing up my Dad used to say "don't do a half assed job" took me a while to fully understand, when a half assed job is done, the work still needs to be done right.

Hawks have been living in half ass teritory, time to do things right. Got to start at the beginning.

Schlenk will handle contracts better. Bud will stay or leave, I hope stays because with him and Schlenk we have a chance to have two full assed guys doing their jobs right
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#24 » by graymule » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Lots and lots of movement with older, high priced players leaving. Rookies coming aboard and still
we have more draft picks coming later.

Collins has looked great in summer league. Two of last year's rookies looking good. We now have a
lot of young players to sift through and will be building a new minor league team for the first time.

Right now, Hawks are a borderline playoff team with ample $$$ room to make another deal if one
that fits our team comes around. We don't know exactly what we do have right now. Give us until
the first twenty games have past in the season, then we will have a much better feel for things.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Question for the board:

Say next summer we luck into a top 3 pick and get to choose from between Bagley, Porter and Ayton...but decide we want to garner a second top 5 prospect for the future of the franchise...

How much would we (as a fanbase and as an organization) give up to garner a second top 6 pick next summer?

If we want to pair Doncic for instance with another stud from next summer, would you guys balk at trading Dennis and Taurean to get another shot at a franchise player?

Would you guys move The Minny Pick, the Rockets Pick and John Collins to get Bomba or another potential franchise player?

Are Porter and Bamba a better start for the rebuild than Schroder, Collins, Taurean?
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#26 » by Spud2nique » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Question for the board:

Say next summer we luck into a top 3 pick and get to choose from between Bagley, Porter and Ayton...but decide we want to garner a second top 5 pick for the future of the franchise...

How much would we (as a fanbase and as an organization) to garner a second top 6 pick?

If we want to pair Doncic for instance with another stud from next summer, would you guys balk at trading Dennis and Taurean to get another shot at a franchise player?

Would you guys move The Minny Pick, the Rockets Pick and John Collins to get Bomba or another potential franchise player?

Are Porter and Bamba a better start for the rebuild than Schroder, Collins, Taurean?

Tough question. I'm going to take the wait and see approach with Dennis. This is the year where I think we will be able to see more clearly whether or not Dennis sticks. Having said that I love the top 5 or 6 for next year and probably put everyone on the table...my order of preference right now would be:

1. Bagley
2. Ayton
3. Doncic
4. Porter
5. Bamba

Pairing Doncic with Dennis in a backcourt could be pretty lethal. Or maybe a froncourt that features Bagley and Collins...it's gonna be interesting for sure. We have never been a team that trades into the top 5 of the lottery. We traded out with Pau once. Lol.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 am

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Read on Twitter

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#28 » by graymule » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Everyone, including the Hawks, don't always get everything right in the draft.
Remember, M. Jordan went #2
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#29 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:32 pm

#3: behind Akeem and Sam Bowie

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#30 » by Spud2nique » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:#3: behind Akeem and Sam Bowie

That's HAkeem to you Jamal lol
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#31 » by MaceCase » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Nope, he was Akeem when he was drafted. He didn't change his name to Hakeem till the 90s.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#32 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:29 pm

Man ATL sports teams are hurting, Hawks at the bottom of the heap. Right now I'm really hoping that TS will go all in to REBUILDING this team.

The Hawks are at the bottom of the NBA after the last few years of complete FO ineptitude. Now the Hawks are taking this non tanking, non rebuild stance. Bunch of bull or more stupidity. This team lost all of its talent save Schro and is a borrom 5 team talent-wise.

I'd much prefer them to just let on that they know where the team is and say they are all in on this draft.

The terms tank or reuild have been banished from the Hawks vocab like global warming in FL gov...
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:38 am

MaceCase wrote:Nope, he was Akeem when he was drafted. He didn't change his name to Hakeem till the 90s.

Ya I know..I just didn't want Jamal to get it twisted ;-)
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#34 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:#3: behind Akeem and Sam Bowie

That's HAkeem to you Jamal lol

That's Jamaal to you. Come on man, you want to get us all kicked out here? (I realized i was making the same mistake.)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#35 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:51 pm

:D

You're very observant, mac.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#36 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::D

Any chance i see to tell Spud he's wrong makes me happy. So I'm pretty much happy all the time.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:17 pm

macd-gm wrote:

Any chance i see to tell Spud he's wrong makes me happy. So I'm pretty much happy all the time.

Haha I've never been wrong...not about NBA stuff...ask KG I'm an egg SPURT ;-)

Oh, Mac we got a bet going...what was it? Lol
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#38 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:18 pm

macd-gm wrote:

You sound like Arnold talking about coming all the time...at his home...in the gym...he's always coming...can you imagine how great his life must be?...#Elterminator
macd-gm
Starter

Post#39 » by macd-gm » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

Hmm. I'm not joking, i have not idea what the bet was but I've actually never won a bet so I'm pretty sure i'm on the losing end. I am great at poker though.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:21 pm

macd-gm wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

Hmm. I'm not joking, i have not idea what the bet was but I've actually never won a bet so I'm pretty sure i'm on the losing end. I am great at poker though.

It was something about the Cavs Celts? Oh, I think who got the better deal...you said Celts at the time and I said Cavs....i think that was it.

#pokernightindasac

Return to Atlanta Hawks