ImageImage

Trade assets - current draft picks

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

LamarHampton
Freshman
And1: 85

Re: Trade assets - current draft picks 

Post#61 » by LamarHampton » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm

macd-gm wrote:I could see Marco being on just about every playoff team in the league. I'm sure we're already getting calls.

I know, right? Problem is, those that still have their picks are going to most likely not have very good picks, so not a great return. Plus as I recall he only has a PO for next year, so he would have to want to stay with the team he is traded to for it to be more than a rental,so I'm not sure what realistic return we could expect, but doubt it would blow my socks off. Either way he is a helluva player and I'd like to see him so well, so hope he winds up in a good spot.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#62 » by macd-gm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Most likely we are looking at a 2nd round pick for Marco. I think teams want him as a rental, not a long term deal, anyway. If we got a first rounder that would be incredible but i doubt it. A 2nd rounder and maybe an underappreciated young player.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#63 » by kg01 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm

LamarHampton wrote:
macd-gm wrote:I could see Marco being on just about every playoff team in the league. I'm sure we're already getting calls.

I know, right? Problem is, those that still have their picks are going to most likely not have very good picks, so not a great return. Plus as I recall he only has a PO for next year, so he would have to want to stay with the team he is traded to for it to be more than a rental,so I'm not sure what realistic return we could expect, but doubt it would blow my socks off. Either way he is a helluva player and I'd like to see him so well, so hope he winds up in a good spot.

Yeah, I hope we hit the happy medium and trade him to a fringe playoff team that eeks in. Best we could hope for.

And macd, in your reasoning for why no one would trade a 1st for him, all I kept thinking is, "Meh, could've said the same about Kial Korver."
king01 :king:
DarthTater
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#64 » by DarthTater » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Is the thought then to have no veteran players at all once the tank job is complete? Belinelli has been a pleasant surprise. I'd like to keep him around.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#65 » by kg01 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:02 pm

DarthTater wrote:Is the thought then to have no veteran players at all once the tank job is complete? Belinelli has been a pleasant surprise. I'd like to keep him around.

I don't think so. It's why I don't think they are as hard-pressed to trade guys like Marco. People seem to think we have to trade him, Dedmon and any other vets we have. I don't think that's necessarily the case.
king01 :king:
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#66 » by macd-gm » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:09 pm

DarthTater wrote:Is the thought then to have no veteran players at all once the tank job is complete? Belinelli has been a pleasant surprise. I'd like to keep him around.

For Marco I think the problem is that he's 31 although his style of game is better for playing longer. Dedmon's only 28 so I could definitely see keeping him long term. But will either guy want to stay around? Dedmon is playing into a contract for sure from somebody. With Marco's age I'm guessing he's going to prefer to find a contender. He didn't choose us, he was traded here.

I agree though. Marco and Bud are perfect together.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#67 » by MaceCase » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

kg01 wrote:
LamarHampton wrote:

Yeah, I hope we hit the happy medium and trade him to a fringe playoff team that eeks in. Best we could hope for.

And macd, in your reasoning for why no one would trade a 1st for him, all I kept thinking is, "Meh, could've said the same about Kial Korver."

Washington also traded what became the 22nd pick (Jeff Jarrett Allen) for half a season of Bojan (Don't call me Bogdan) Bogdanovic last season. So the value is always there for shooters even if they are close to 30 and expiring.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
DarthTater
Freshman

Post#68 » by DarthTater » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:05 pm

Yes, I should have added Dedmon to Belinelli as players I would like to retain for at least a few more years.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#69 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:25 pm

LamarHampton wrote:

Marco is a FA after the season - no PO for next season.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#70 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:36 pm

macd-gm wrote:

For Marco I think the problem is that he's 31 although his style of game is better for playing longer. Dedmon's only 28 so I could definitely see keeping him long term. But will either guy want to stay around? Dedmon is playing into a contract for sure from somebody. With Marco's age I'm guessing he's going to prefer to find a contender. He didn't choose us, he was traded here.

I agree though. Marco and Bud are perfect together.

I have likened the Marco situation with when Korver was traded from the Bulls in the Joe Johnson trade - no one thought he'd want to stick around. Both age 31. We saw how that turned out - we got a 1st for a 35 year old Korver (marco's no KK but close)
Regarding Dedmon, things to consider:
1. He did sign with us knowing we were rebuilding and what we do on the court matches his skillset
2. He is a starter on this team, he can sign with a contender but will he continue to start - doubtful.
3. How much can these contenders pay him - I would say most are cash strapped and can offer only at a maximum their full MLE of $8.8 million - that is less than $2 million more than the Hawks are currently playing him of $6 million. I would be Ok with the Hawks offering the MLE or a little above if he wants to be back.
4. Will he want to go to another rebuilding team for more money but not have the fit that he does here? That's the biggest question.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 pm

^This is a fair assessment.

Question, can we guarantee Dedmon a starting spot next year? With the emergence of Collins and the possibility of drafting Ayton or Bamba, there's a good chance we go in a different direction in the near future.

He'll have to decide whether to opt out before we've gotten to adjust our 2019 roster.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#72 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:47 pm

He's 32 in a few months. How long do you want to keep him for in a rebuild situation? Rather swing a pick and expiring.
DarthTater
Freshman

Post#73 » by DarthTater » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:

He's 32 in a few months. How long do you want to keep him for in a rebuild situation? Rather swing a pick and expiring.

How foolish of me. Why on earth would we want to keep anyone who could actually help us win games, when we can get more pick(s) and expiring (ie: crappy) contracts. I know most folks on here don't want to win, but who knows how many of us have another 7 years to wait for a winning team (not necessarily a championship level team, either.)
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#74 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Like the way Bel and Dedmon are playing. Teams are like players, they have growth spurts, peaks and declines. This team is at the beginning of a growth spurt and the emphasis needs to be on the long climb up. Not the now. Trade them for picks.

Put the team together with highest possible picks, develop them and then, bring in the pieces to max the window.

The Hawks next contention window won't even start to open until the end of NEXT season. Don't squander future assets for a few meaningless now wins. Liking players is good but you have to manage a team to build a winner.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#75 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^This is a fair assessment.

Question, can we guarantee Dedmon a starting spot next year? With the emergence of Collins and the possibility of drafting Ayton or Bamba, there's a good chance we go in a different direction in the near future.

He'll have to decide whether to opt out before we've gotten to adjust our 2019 roster.

As with Collins, Ayton or Bamba would come off the bench (we know how Bud feels about rookies starters) or better yet they can start the season in the GLeague after an impressive SL ( sorry Jam, I just couldn't resist 8-) :D ).
jayu70
RealGM

Post#76 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:

It's a double edged sword - if we can get a decent asset you make the trade, (a 2nd round pick that's less likely to convey is useless) if not you keep them.
They're still useful/valuable for the development of our young players on and off the court. Example - you know Beli's fake out/side step shot attempt, all the young guys have asked him about it and he's given them tips.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#77 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 pm

jayu70 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

It's a double edged sword - if we can get a decent asset you make the trade, (a 2nd round pick that's less likely to convey is useless) if not you keep them.
They're still useful/valuable for the development of our young players on and off the court. Example - you know Beli's fake out/side step shot attempt, all the young guys have asked him about it and he's given them tips.

Don't trade them for nothing. Got to get draft / young assets for them. What are dedmon, Bel, Illya ect going to get? Draft assets are what this team needs and wins knock them down the picking oder.

I want the Hawks to own this draft.

I think if TS plays it right

Dedmon is a late teen to mid 20 value.
Bel is late first
Illya might get a second or he's one of the vets

Add those possible picks to #1, #19, #27 and #30 and the Hawks can put their team together.

The Hawks could run the draft and do a quick rebuild around a ton of young talent including Schro, Prince, Bembry, Collins, Dorsey. Add the above picks and the Hawks are stacked with young talent. Then it's time to develop and add.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#78 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:32 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:

Don't trade them for nothing. Got to get draft / young assets for them. What are dedmon, Bel, Illya ect going to get? Draft assets are what this team needs and wins knock them down the picking oder.

I want the Hawks to own this draft.

I think if TS plays it right

Dedmon is a late teen to mid 20 value.
Bel is late first
Illya might get a second or he's one of the vets

Add those possible picks to #1, #19, #27 and #30 and the Hawks can put their team together.

The Hawks could run the draft and do a quick rebuild around a ton of young talent including Schro, Prince, Bembry, Collins, Dorsey. Add the above picks and the Hawks are stacked with young talent. Then it's time to develop and add.

I don't think we'll have/draft 4 rookies on the team next year. With the 1st pick you hope for your franchise cornerstone. With a late teens pick you hope for a quality starter, those late picks you hope for rotation players.
I've seen 2 teams (Boston and Portland) with multiple 1st rounders in one draft hope to package late picks to move up, doesn't always work, so you end up with a couple draft and stashes since all will not be on the team.
In a strong draft like this is slated to be, we'll more likely get/want future 1sts.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:35 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:^This is a fair assessment.

As with Collins, Ayton or Bamba would come off the bench (we know how Bud feels about rookies starters) or better yet they can start the season in the GLeague after an impressive SL ( sorry Jam, I just couldn't resist 8-) :D ).

True story:

Collins has been productive all season long and has looked impressive doing it. But, I still support starting each of these kids with Coach Longstaff in College Park.

Bamba and Ayton are even younger and less polished than Collins. (And Bamba especially looks raw.) With five 1st round picks likely to convey in the next 18 months, I still, stubbornly support sending every draftee, regardless of position, to Summer League and G League play before they premiere on the big stage.

(I've been impressed with how SAS developed Kyle Anderson and Dejounte Murray in the G-League--and even rehabbed Tony Parker in the G League. Utilizing it as a true minor league. I'd like for us to do the same.)

NOTE: I don't believe that Schlenk keeps all five first round picks. I suspect he'll combine a few to aggressively move up. That'd be too much youth otherwise.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#80 » by graymule » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:58 pm

:D

Hawks, as of right now, have a full roster and young players in the G League. They also have many
first and second round draft picks coming in the next two or three years. All of these are assets, whether
great or small.

Now, Travis and Bud must decide, who do we have that we wish to keep? They are in the process of building
their own version of what this Hawks team will look like in the future. As always, putting a team together
is like a picture puzzle. To complete the puzzle, each piece must fit together.

If you really, really need a pickup truck to haul stuff in your business, you don't trade the family car for a
new Harley. Likewise, you don't trade that player that doesn't really fit for another player that is so great
looking but is un coachable and is as dumb as a box or rocks.

Most second round draft picks are not that valuable. We know, there are exceptions. They can be used to
add to a deal, to sweeten it so that it happens. Hawks have more draft picks than they can reasonably use.
They have players who will not be here in two or three years.

Between now and the trade deadline, NBA GMs will come to Travis and say, "We would like to have ___ !"
Travis will reply, "What do you have in mind? Are you willing to give us _____ ?"

Offers and counter offers. No matter what happens, Someone is sure to say "I knew this was going to happen."
Someone else will say, "This was a terrible deal. Hawks got burned this time."

Hawks, as of right now, have too many pieces. They must be consolidated. We're good. We're far from great.
Good teams win occasionally and, when they lose, usually keep the game close. That's us. Too many "pretty
good" players and no one we would consider as "great."

When the draft positions are set, then we will know a lot more. Hawks may then try to consolidate assets and
try to get in position to grab that one desirable player that they hope will not be just a good NBA player, but
that "great" player, so desirable, but, oh, so hard to find.

When building a house, there is a blueprint with all the information needed to complete the structure. Travis
and Bud have control of the Hawks blueprint. We, the fans, want them to hurry! We want to see the completed
product. That future team that competes for the championship! After all, isn't it our turn??

8-)

Return to Atlanta Hawks