ImageImage

Will the Schlenk/Budenholzer partnership work?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How will the Budenholzer and Schlenk relationship play out

Too soon to tell
29%
Doomed to failure
53%
Match made in heaven
18%

Total votes: 17

Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Re: Will the Schlenk/Budenholzer partnership work? 

Post#221 » by Sothron » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't know if Bud is going to work out with Schlenk but it is too soon to tell.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#222 » by kg01 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Sothron wrote:I don't know if Bud is going to work out with Schlenk but it is too soon to tell.

Don't encourage @jamamamlallikver, soth.

Good to see you're alive, btw. :lol:

Also, say something cool for your 5,000th post. :)
king01 :king:
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#223 » by macd-gm » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm

jayu70 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:
MaceCase wrote:Taurean is a sophomore former lotto pick and Dorsey is a Schlenk pick. I imagine that all parties involved including fans should and would be happy with them developing at the cost of winning some games rather than some journeyman-30-year-old-soon-to-be-free-agent.

I'm fine with them developing. I'm not fine with Taurean winning the 80th game of the season for us in the fourth quarter. I seriously doubt that swung his development. He didn't need to be in there in the fourth.

So how do you tell him go develop but don't win, don't make the right pass, miss on purpose, foul unnecessarily- PLAYERS DON'T TANK.
Listening to TP talk post game he was focused on what this does for his and the teams development for next season.

Huh? I'm not asking TP to change anything. I'm expecting Bud not to put his best available player in the game in the 4th quarter to secure a meaningless victory over a team that isn't even trying. If Magette or Dorsey or Cleveland wins the game for us then I don't complain. But you put Prince in the 4th quarter to ball out against the YMCA all stars when you know it could mean the difference between the #1 or #2 and getting #5 or #6?????? That's just stupid.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#224 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#225 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:17 pm

^Another important piece in the puzzle.

NOTE: I'd have loved to read the exact quote and/or see the exact interaction.

'I think so' is very different from 'oh, without a doubt'.

Makes me wonder if this is a question the guys on the team have pondered as well...
jayu70
RealGM

Post#226 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Coach Bud will be live on 92.9Thegame.com
in a few minutes....for those interested.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#227 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 pm

This is what I was expecting to hear last week:

Read on Twitter

Dude has improved greatly at double-speak.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#228 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#229 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:This is what I was expecting to hear last week:

Read on Twitter

Dude has improved greatly at double-speak.

How can he respond to something he hasn't seen and if no one previously asked the question? Unless I missed it being asked before?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#230 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm

jayu70 wrote:How can he respond to something he hasn't seen and if no one previously asked the question? Unless I missed it being asked before?

I have a buddy that has long worked in NBA front offices. He's told me that execs are at least aware of all the rumors that we hear.

When I mentioned last year that Wilcox and Bud's jobs were on the line...it started out as conjecture. But it was confirmed that around NBA circles, similar rumors had already started to swirl that major openings in the Hawks front office were becoming available.

All that to say, if you've heard it -- so have the decision-makers in your favorite teams' front office.

KL Chouinard works for the team in some capacity so, this seemed like a safe place for the rumor to be presented.

AJC has publicly refused to address unverified rumors in their reports. (Though some blogs for Braves and Hawks take some liberties here.)

But the fact this rumor wasn't swatted down immediately once Peachtree Hoops parroted the initial report is noteworthy. Especially since PTH does get media credentials and access to the locker room and coach's interview room after home games.

(Shout outs to my little homey Brad!!)

EXCEPTION: Liberty Media. I'm not even sure they remember they own a baseball team until the quarterly report comes out.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#231 » by macd-gm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Can someone just ask if he has a contract beyond this year? Where's our beat writer.....oh nevermind.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#232 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:How can he respond to something he hasn't seen and if no one previously asked the question? Unless I missed it being asked before?

I have a buddy that has long worked in NBA front offices. He's told me that execs are at least aware of all the rumors that we hear.

When I mentioned last year that Wilcox and Bud's jobs were on the line...it started out as conjecture. But it was confirmed that around NBA circles, similar rumors had already started to swirl that major openings in the Hawks front office were becoming available.

All that to say, if you've heard it -- so have the decision-makers in your favorite teams' front office.

KL Chouinard works for the team in some capacity so, this seemed like a safe place for the rumor to be presented.

AJC has publicly refused to address unverified rumors in their reports. (Though some blogs for Braves and Hawks take some liberties here.)

But the fact this rumor wasn't swatted down immediately once Peachtree Hoops parroted the initial report is noteworthy. Especially since PTH does get media credentials and access to the locker room and coach's interview room after home games.

(Shout outs to my little homey Brad!!)

EXCEPTION: Liberty Media. I'm not even sure they remember they own a baseball team until the quarterly report comes out.

Was Bud previously asked the question in any pre or post game conferences since the report, was he asked during his weekly radio spot.
Why exactly would he respond if not asked? Who volunteers information?

If he said something and nobody asked it woukd be a different narrative that he's trying to hide something.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#233 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter

Post#234 » by macd-gm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Bud's a great coach. Whether you think his x's and o's are great you can't deny that he coaches players up and he keeps teams together. He didn't lose the vets or the young guys this year. He went after some guys like Taurean and he got results.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#235 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:39 pm

There you have it....
This isn’t about whether the Hawks should bring Budenholzer back as coach. They should. That’s not even up for debate. He’s one of the game’s better coaches, and he’s under contract. Critics have a tendency to harp on him constantly screaming at players – as if that should suddenly be verboten for a coach – but he develops players and maximizes their talent.

Budenholzer did a group interview Wednesday, the day after the Hawks closed their season with a loss to Philadelphia. Afterward, when I approached him alone for a few follow-up questions, it went like this.

Question: Can you address reports you’ve been working back channels to get insight on the Milwaukee job?
Answer: “Not true.”

Q: Can you say with 100 percent certainty that you’ll be back as Hawks’ coach, assuming it’s up to you?

A: “I’m … literally the season just ended.”

Q: You are kind of not answering the question.

A: “Jeff, I’m not going there.”

Q: So there is a decision to be made?

A: “The season just ended. I literally just spent (several hours) with these guys (on exit interviews). I’ve been totally focused and totally devoted to this. I have genuinely enjoyed this, the city, everything. That’s where my mind is.”

But he said he found positives in this season. He shared them with the team collectively and players individually. Among them: the rise of rookie John Collins, the late-season improvement of Taurean Prince, the leadership of Kent Bazemore, the overall effort of players amid difficult circumstances of a roster strip-down.

Budenholzer acknowledged the season was a challenge for him personally. But, “I definitely feel like I grew as a coach. It’s easy to talk about development or day-to-day process when you’re having success. Your beliefs are tested when you’re not having the tangible rewards of winning. It pushed me to be a better coach.”
Is that enough for him to want to stay? Because he’s under contract, he can’t just leave – or theoretically even talk to another team – without the team allowing him to do so.

Schlenk is operating on the assumption that Budenholzer is coming back because there has been nothing to lead him to believe otherwise.
“Fifteen minutes ago, we were just talking about our plans for our exit interviews tomorrow to make sure we’re giving the same message to players,” he said Tuesday night. “We’ve talked about some of the things we want to do. I’ve gotten zero indication that any of these rumors are true, even though they’re out there.”
Schlenk and Budenholzer have vastly different personalities. But they’ve worked through their issues, and Schlenk admires the way his coach has handled things.
“A lot of people on the outside had a lot of concerns: Here’s a guy who’s been in the NBA for 21 years, and he only missed the playoffs once. How’s he going to handle it?” Schlenk said. “But as we’ve seen, he and his staff have done a good job keeping guys energized.”
As for the rumors, Schlenk said: “I would just say: They’re rumors, to the best of my knowledge. Nobody has called me, but he’s a good coach. I could understand why other teams would have interest.”

https://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schultz/biggest-hawks-question-budenholzer-coming-back/RJArWupshIsp8cPrIscf6L/
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#236 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 pm

Now, I'm really getting paranoid and worried.

All this time, I kind of wasn't sure. But this really feels like we might be approaching the end.

(Should have known Jeff Schultz was the only local guy ballsy enough to ask these questions point blank on the record.

:banghead:

Biggest Hawks’ question: Is Budenholzer coming back?

The real question regarding Budenholzer is whether he wants to come back. He gave somewhat evasive answers on the subject Wednesday. His non-committal responses were sandwiched between cheery phrases about how much he loved his job, his players, the city, his life. But this comes against the backdrop of rumors over the past few weeks that he’s more than mildly interested in the coaching vacancy in Milwaukee and that he might not be committed to sticking it out through the Hawks’ painful rebuild.
myAJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#237 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:23 pm

My take after reading all the above:

Even Mike Budenholzer doesn't know yet. He clearly is conflicted.

That's reflected in getting so emotional at the end of the season with this group of players.

It's noteworthy that Travis (and the front office) was indeed aware of the rumors before today. And no one made a peep. Trav talked to Schultz, but no Ressler or Koonin statements were made public.

That's a deafening radio silence from the 2 most powerful men in the organization.

:(
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#238 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:31 am

Jamaaliver wrote:My take after reading all the above:

Even Mike Budenholzer doesn't know yet. He clearly is conflicted.

That's reflected in getting so emotional at the end of the season with this group of players.

It's noteworthy that Travis (and the front office) was indeed aware of the rumors before today. And no one made a peep. Trav talked to Schultz, but no Ressler or Koonin statements were made public.

That's a deafening radio silence from the 2 most powerful men in the organization.

:(

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#239 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:28 am

Spud2nique wrote:Image

I want you to know, you've ruined him for me. Every time I listen all I hear are the mumbles and stumbles now.

It's actually really distracting.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#240 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Image

I want you to know, you've ruined him for me. Every time I listen all I hear are the mumbles and stumbles now.

It's actually really distracting.

Oh that self-deprecating humor. That's sooo Brad.
king01 :king:

Return to Atlanta Hawks