ImageImage

Dwight working on his 3 point shot?????

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 973

Re: Dwight working on his 3 point shot????? 

Post#21 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Jun 8, 2017 1:18 am

Al Horford is shooting 3's still under Brad Stevens

(kills argument that Bud and big men shooting 3's correlates)
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#22 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 8:52 am

With Horf, at least you could make an argument. If DH steps out and starts to let it fly from three, time for a new coach
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:47 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Al Horford is shooting 3's still under Brad Stevens

So, it begs the question:

If Dwight starts shooting three pointers next season, do we honestly believe that Budenholzer has no say, no influence, no preference in the matter?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 8, 2017 12:01 pm

In a Tuesday appearance on ESPN’s The Jump, Howard said that he’s been working on his 3-point shot with his shooting coach in Atlanta. He was confident that the work will actually translate to results in NBA games.

Given the style of head coach Mike Budenholzer’s offense, the Hawks rely on shooting and spacing — two aspects that are not a part of Howard’s game. Both Al Horford and Paul Millsap added the 3 to their games during their time in Atlanta. It seems that Howard realizes that his only hope to stay on the court late in games would be proving that he could hit a 3-pointer.
USA Today
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 9, 2017 12:35 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

So, it begs the question:

If Dwight starts shooting three pointers next season, do we honestly believe that Budenholzer has no say, no influence, no preference in the matter?

You heard it out of Dwight's own mouth. His logic behind adding range to his game is to extend his career. On top of that, the league is evolving into every position being able to space the floor. You've already seen a list of big men extending out to the perimeter and having the ability to pick and pop now. If the league no longer values a back to the basket game(which I think is blown out of proportion), then you will see a lot of offensive big men start to shoot jumpers.
Years80HAWKS
Junior
And1: 42

Post#26 » by Years80HAWKS » Fri Jun 9, 2017 5:42 pm

This guy (or girl) in the CBS has no idea about basketball technics.
One can be a terrible FT shooter (as DH is) and a much better three shooter.
Dwight's technique is not bad at all. Only he is too strong and his hands too big to properly launch the ball.
He seems much more comfortable shooting from far than from the line.

I do not think DH is going to shoot 8 times during games from 3 or from the top of the key, but he has to keep his defender honest so he cannnot help, get deep into the paint of close out on other players.
DW has to be a mennace so the opposing center has to come out. If DH shoots, even if he fails, th opp C will not be near the rim, so Millsap, Ilyasova, Prince, Dunleavy, Bembry or Baze can fight the off rebound with good chances.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:18 pm

I don't know about that...but Trav's comments today does more to kill the argument.

jayu70 wrote:About Dwight shooting 3s":
Travis Schlenk wrote:Just heard about it myself. If he can do it great, but at least he’s working!

We haven’t had any conversations about telling him to shoot 3s.

We'll see if D12 3-pt shots make their way into our offense. (Goodness, I hope not.)
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#28 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 6:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

I don't know about that...but Trav's comments today does more to kill the argument.

jayu70 wrote:About Dwight shooting 3s":
Travis Schlenk wrote:Just heard about it myself. If he can do it great, but at least he’s working!

We haven’t had any conversations about telling him to shoot 3s.

We'll see if D12 3-pt shots make their way into our offense. (Goodness, I hope not.)

I think it's much ado about nothing - he worked on his mid-range last offseason and took about maybe 10 total in the season. It wasn't apart of his repertoire where he did it every game. Off season fodder.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#29 » by MaceCase » Fri Jun 9, 2017 7:57 pm

No, there's plenty ado. Still pretty confident that Dwight is working on his 3 pointers at Bud's behest and it will be featured heavily within his offense just like every other Center he's had.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
New_Hawks_Era
Junior
And1: 233

Post#30 » by New_Hawks_Era » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:07 pm

I think someone's been eating crazy cookies :crazy:

All those other big men have shown some abilities to shoot long range their whole careers, every last one of them. Dwight on the other hand well let's just say it would be like a cat trying to learn to bark. I just can't see it in my wildest dreams, wildest.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:33 pm

New_Hawks_Era wrote:I think someone's been eating crazy cookies :crazy:

All those other big men have shown some abilities to shoot long range their whole careers, every last one of them. Dwight on the other hand well let's just say it would be like a cat trying to learn to bark. I just can't see it in my wildest dreams, wildest.

It takes time for someone to learn something new and incorporate it into the daily routine. This marks 2 years now that Dwight has been working on his jumper, with more emphasis being put into it this summer it seems. If DH can show his shot has indeed improved, look forward to seeing him hoist a few every now and then.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#32 » by jayu70 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:33 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:

It takes time for someone to learn something new and incorporate it into the daily routine. This marks 2 years now that Dwight has been working on his jumper, with more emphasis being put into it this summer it seems. If DH can show his shot has indeed improved, look forward to seeing him hoist a few every now and then.

I understand the premise of now and then (sim to the midrange shots this season )but I doubt we see him for example setting a screen and moving to the 3pt line to shoot a 3 on a set play.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#33 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:00 pm

great conversation
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:09 am

I'd really like to hear Bud's thoughts on this. He was pushing Horford to start shooting threes more and encouraged him after a summer spent honing his shot. The team benefitted. The player did not.

I really need Bud to keep Dwight playing to his strength. And revamp the offense to better utilize Dwight's inside scoring.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 am

jayu70 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:

I understand the premise of now and then (sim to the midrange shots this season )but I doubt we see him for example setting a screen and moving to the 3pt line to shoot a 3 on a set play.

I think that's the only time we will see him taking a 3. The threat of the dive will/should open up for him to just settle behind the line and shoot compared to them just letting him sit at the perimeter to take one.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:21 am

Jamaaliver wrote:I'd really like to hear Bud's thoughts on this. He was pushing Horford to start shooting threes more and encouraged him after a summer spent honing his shot. The team benefitted. The player did not.

I really need Bud to keep Dwight playing to his strength. And revamp the offense to better utilize Dwight's inside scoring.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

:roll: I still don't see how Bud gets the blame for Horford taking 3's when he has practically done the same since leaving and playing for a different coach.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote::roll: I still don't see how Bud gets the blame for Horford taking 3's when he has practically done the same since leaving and playing for a different coach.

Again, it's not really 'blame'.

But, Mike Budenholzer is on record as pushing Horford to add a three point shot to his game.

And wanting Horford to shoot them in the games.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:33 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote::roll: I still don't see how Bud gets the blame for Horford taking 3's when he has practically done the same since leaving and playing for a different coach.

Again, it's not really 'blame'.

But, Mike Budenholzer is on record as pushing Horford to add a three point shot to his game.

And wanting Horford to shoot them in the games.

Shouldn't be anything to be upset about though. We're talking Al Horford being one of the best mid range shooters in all of basketball for a while taking another step back and knocking down a 3. Horford's game was never to be a banger down low.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:10 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Shouldn't be anything to be upset about though. We're talking Al Horford being one of the best mid range shooters in all of basketball for a while taking another step back and knocking down a 3. Horford's game was never to be a banger down low.

Agreed.

Dwight being benched down the stretch of playoff games because we needed better spacing for the offense is more noteworthy.

And it appears this is at least part of the impetus behind extending his range. Especially if, as Trav Schlenk states, the organization never encouraged him to do so.

It makes you wonder who really was behind the Dwight signing. Cause almost every other Center we've leaned heavily on had serious shooting range out to three. (Pero, Horford, Muscala)

So the question becomes: will we change our current system based on the needs/strengths of the player. Or do we change the player to fit our system?
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Shouldn't be anything to be upset about though. We're talking Al Horford being one of the best mid range shooters in all of basketball for a while taking another step back and knocking down a 3. Horford's game was never to be a banger down low.

Agreed.

Dwight being benched down the stretch of playoff games because we needed better spacing for the offense is noteworthy.

And it appears this at least part of the impetus behind extending his range. Especially if, as Trav Schlenk states, the organization never encouraged him to do so.

It makes you wonder who really was behind the Dwight signing. Cause almost every other Center we've leaned heavily on had serious shooting range out to three. (Pero, Horford, Muscala)

So the question becomes: will we change our current system based on the needs/strengths of the player. Or do we change the player to fit our system?

I think the thing to remember here is that Bud wanted an inside presence on the boards, and I assume we would have kept Horford along with Sap if 6 million wasn't the deciding factor. I don't think we had intentions of changing our system at all. Howard changing his game seems to be of his own free will to go back to an impact player in the league, which is fine imo if he can do it.

Return to Atlanta Hawks