Welcome to ATL John Collins!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Welcome to ATL John Collins! 

Post#1 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 am

Good pick by the new GM! He got a lottery talent at pick 19

Collins needs to work on his defense but Coach Budz is good at teaching team defense.

Collins has a great offensive inside game, he reminds me of Al Jefferson
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Re: Welcome to ATL John Collins! 

Post#2 » by D21 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:55 am

For what it's worth, John Collins is the player of this draft with the highest PER (36.3) but only 0.5AST per game, let see in Bud system...
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#3 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 am

Collins isn't a Al Jefferson type of big though. He's a mobile rim runner that plays with a consistent motor and excels in the P&R game. Also explosive enough to be a lob man. Maybe as a rebounder John flashes the same 2nd bounce for rebounds and put backs as Jefferson does though. I mean I like the pick. Everyone else I wanted at 19 were gone so Collins a good pick. Giles would have been my other choice, and he went right after, but his health is the reason he was probably so low anyway.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:24 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:Collins isn't a Al Jefferson type of big though. He's a mobile rim runner that plays with a consistent motor and excels in the P&R game. Also explosive enough to be a lob man. Maybe as a rebounder John flashes the same 2nd bounce for rebounds and put backs as Jefferson does though. I mean I like the pick. Everyone else I wanted at 19 were gone so Collins a good pick. Giles would have been my other choice, and he went right after, but his health is the reason he was probably so low anyway.

I saw a few Wake Forest games this year. Collins has this move where he post up, drops his shoulder and gets into the middle of the paint and has this little mini drop hook, that reminds me of Al Jefferson. He also has a good face up ten foot jump shot, that's like Jefferson
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:Collins isn't a Al Jefferson type of big though. He's a mobile rim runner that plays with a consistent motor and excels in the P&R game. Also explosive enough to be a lob man. Maybe as a rebounder John flashes the same 2nd bounce for rebounds and put backs as Jefferson does though. I mean I like the pick. Everyone else I wanted at 19 were gone so Collins a good pick. Giles would have been my other choice, and he went right after, but his health is the reason he was probably so low anyway.

I saw a few Wake Forest games this year. Collins has this move where he post up, drops his shoulder and gets into the middle of the paint and has this little mini drop hook, that reminds me of Al Jefferson. He also has a good face up ten foot jump shot, that's like Jefferson

I watched a few myself, and yes he did flash that at times, but most of his offensive production came from rolling off the P&R or diving to open space close to the basket. A lot of guys will flash post moves, but most aren't really built to be a back to the basket, low post scorer. I mean it's one of the reasons Okafor is considered a bust because that kind of offense is considered to be inefficient, bad offense aka a "Black hole"(I don't think that btw). Jefferson came into the league as a HSSR with a solid set of established post moves.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:37 am

Geaux_Hawks wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

I watched a few myself, and yes he did flash that at times, but most of his offensive production came from rolling off the P&R or diving to open space close to the basket. A lot of guys will flash post moves, but most aren't really built to be a back to the basket, low post scorer. I mean it's one of the reasons Okafor is considered a bust because that kind of offense is considered to be inefficient, bad offense aka a "Black hole"(I don't think that btw). Jefferson came into the league as a HSSR with a solid set of established post moves.

I think you are agreeing with me or making my argument for me, but yes I totally agree. Just like Al Jefferson , Collins on the pick n roll is going to slide into the paint and make a play at the rim, and not slide out to the three point line, just like Jefferson
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Geaux_Hawks wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

I think you are agreeing with me or making my argument for me, but yes I totally agree. Just like Al Jefferson , Collins on the pick n roll is going to slide into the paint and make a play at the rim, and not slide out to the three point line, just like Jefferson

In this sense, yes, I do agree with you. Everywhere else, I don't agree because Jefferson actually had post moves. Collins doesn't or at least well established like Jefferson did. Collins will thrive more being an activity guy. Jefferson was the prototypical throwback big.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:50 am

The draft is over. It was a great draft by Schlenk for his first go at GM. I give him a '+B'. Getting Collins was just lucky or brilliant. But I'm taking points off for trading away the 31st pick.

Some mock drafts had Collins going as high as #7 and most had going between 7-13. And more than a few scouts rated Collins as the best PF in the draft and the Hawks got him at #19
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 pm

This dude's speed and athleticism are gonna blend real well with Taurean and Dennis. In both the PnR and transition buckets.

He's an above average post scorer (in a league that devalues post scoring). He needs to add a mid-range jumper to his game. He'll be (one of) the best scoring big men in recent Hawks history if he does.

I hope Bud and company don't move him too far away from the paint on offense, though. Big men belong in the paint. But the ability to knock down 12-15 foot jumpers would be very beneficial.

19. Atlanta Hawks: F/C John Collins, Wake Forest

Grade: A

Perhaps the most offensively talented big man in this draft
, the only reason Collins slipped out of the lottery was because of defensive worries. He now lands on a team that has a hole at starting center thanks to the Dwight Howard trade, and that's probably a better fit for him than power forward because it will allow him to use his shot-blocking ability as a help defender more. If Collins can keep adding to the shooting range he showed in workouts, he could be a total steal for new Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk.
USA Today
reazun
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#10 » by reazun » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 pm

yes very happy about this pick! this offseason has been pretty eventful. I am looking forward to see what else atlanta does..
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Look at the foot speed!

That is phenomenal. Maybe even a bit Josh Smith-esqe!

Fast break offense will be fun to watch once this guys gets to the big leagues!!!
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Looking at past guys who slid in the draft, success rate seems pretty good... Kawhi, Rondo, Jrue Holiday, Rashard Lewis, DeAndre Jordan, Whiteside, Paul Pierce

However their are a few guys who slid in the draft and never hit their pre draft hype like... Gerald Green, Justise Winslow, Perry Jones

We will see what happens with Collins but as long as he puts in the work in Budz system and becomes a gym rat, and we give him time, he should be fine in the NBA
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#13 » by ATL Boy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:54 pm

I like the Hawks' draft this year. Both players taken with 19 and 41 look like they'll be contributors, maybe even in year 1.

Add that along with Prince, Bembry and Schroder and we've got ourselves a nice little pipeline going.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Geaux_Hawks » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I like the Hawks' draft this year. Both players taken with 19 and 41 look like they'll be contributors, maybe even in year 1.

Add that along with Prince, Bembry and Schroder and we've got ourselves a nice little pipeline going.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I really think Dorsey will be a key player for us once we do find ourselves back in relevancy.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:38 am

Overall, it was a solid draft for us, but the work begins now, so I hope these new additions have a productive/healthy rookie season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:35 pm

The draft went as well as Schlenk could have expected for a team picking 19th. The consensus first 11 players that he had highlighted after talking to other teams around the league went in the first 11 picks. So the man can do his homework. From there, he had five players targeted, hoping one would fall to the Hawks. He and his staff narrowed the list to three. The best among them: John Collins, a power forward from Wake Forest.

About that consensus 11: Collins wasn’t among them, but the Hawks had him 11th on their list.

He is long and athletic (6-foot-10, 235 pounds). He can rebound and has soft hands around the basket (19.2 points, 9.8 rebounds as a sophomore at Wake Forest). He's smart, can run the floor and projects an ability to blend into a pick-and-roll offense.

And he fell to 19.
myAJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

That's almost blasphemous...but I love the blind enthusiasm and optimism. :clap:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

So help me, Mike Budenholzer... :wavefinger:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 pm

Kid's likely our small ball Center of the future.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks