ImageImage

Welcome to ATL John Collins!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,931

Re: Welcome to ATL John Collins! 

Post#221 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:43 pm

Agreed, I would love for Collins to get more minutes but part of his low minutes is a by product of his foul rate.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#222 » by jayu70 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 am

Rookie Re-Draft by yahoo sports:
4. John Collins, PF/C, Atlanta Hawks

There are not very many reasons to watch the Hawks. Collins, for my money, is the best.

The 6-foot-10, 235-pound power forward out of Wake Forest just pops off the screen at you, a jittery ball of elbows and knees perpetually coiled and ready to spring in the direction of the ball. He’s been a monster on the offensive glass, ripping down 16.5 percent of his teammates’ misses, the fourth-highest share in the league.

He runs the floor and fills the lane with purpose. He swats shots with impunity, ranking second among rookies in blocks per game and third in block percentage. Opponents are shooting 53.3 percent near the basket with him defending, according to NBA.com’s tracking, 10th in the NBA among rotation bigs.

There are wrinkles to iron out, headlined by a propensity for hacking that has the rookie leading the NBA in personal fouls. But there’s juice here — athleticism, will and a sense of when to explode out of a crouch to do something cool.

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#223 » by kg01 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm

I don't like these rankings but, meh, something to read ...

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/17/nba-rookie-rankings-ben-simmons-lonzo-ball-jayson-tatum

9. JOHN COLLINS, HAWKS
Every time I've seen John Collins this year, he's either been dunking on someone or attempting to dunk on someone. He's not quite amazing enough to make Hawks games worth watching, but he's been efficient in limited minutes—18 and 12 per-36 minutes—and his quest to postertize the whole league is something we should all admire. Shout out to Kent Bazemore's Instagram, as well.

Fox and Smith, Jr. should not be ranked over Collins IMHO.
king01 :king:
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#224 » by ATL Boy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm

I know we're not even a quarter of the season into his rookie year but it's a testament to our draft prowess to see Collins ranked so high in these redrafts. Especially since I'm sure that Taurean Prince would go a lot higher than 12 in a 2016 redraft.

We're off to a head start in this rebuild thanks to these last two drafts. If we can continue hitting on draft picks like this I'd have no problem trading Schroder for a package of picks.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#225 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm

From Zach Lowe:

Ten things I like and don't like, including the giant Pelicans

John Collins on a pogo stick

Here, watch Collins jump four times in four seconds:
http://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gifs/mp4/NBA_HAWKS_CAVS_JOHN_COLLINS_2GIF.mp4

Collins is an animal. In a league where a lot of bigs box out areas instead of people, he is a weapon. He has rebounded 16.5 percent of Atlanta misses while on the floor, tied for fourth among all players -- and a mark that would lead the league in some seasons. He single-handedly transforms the Hawks from a team that punts the offensive glass into one of the league's most voracious offensive rebounding outfits.

When he rounds out his game, Collins is going to be good.
ESPN
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#226 » by macd-gm » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:From Zach Lowe:

Ten things I like and don't like, including the giant Pelicans

John Collins on a pogo stick

Here, watch Collins jump four times in four seconds:
http://media.video-cdn.espn.com/gifs/mp4/NBA_HAWKS_CAVS_JOHN_COLLINS_2GIF.mp4

Collins is an animal. In a league where a lot of bigs box out areas instead of people, he is a weapon. He has rebounded 16.5 percent of Atlanta misses while on the floor, tied for fourth among all players -- and a mark that would lead the league in some seasons. He single-handedly transforms the Hawks from a team that punts the offensive glass into one of the league's most voracious offensive rebounding outfits.

When he rounds out his game, Collins is going to be good.
ESPN

That's awesome and really just ridiculous that he didn't get a foul call on the initial shot. NBA officiating is still corrupt.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#227 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 pm

NBA rookie ratings: How does Hawks’ John Collins stack up?

Hawks center John Collins is one of 17 NBA rookies to average 20 minutes or more per game this season. He showed he was NBA-ready in his debut and his strong play has continued in the 14 games since then.

You can make a statistical case that Collins has been the best rookie thus far. Already Collins is one of the top rebounders and shot blockers in the league. Few first-year players have been as productive and efficient as Collins over so many statistical categories.

But context takes the air out of that argument.

Collins should be among the best rebounders and shot blocker among his peer group. Among the 17 rookies playing 20 minutes or more per game, only three are bigs: Collins, Kyle Kuzma (Lakers) and Lauri Markkanen (Bulls).

Also, Collins’ turnover rate is high for a big man who doesn’t produce much with his passing (16th in assists per 36 minutes among the rookies). Sometimes Collins gets the ball poked away from him too easily. Also, one of his greatest assets sometimes works against him because he loses the ball while being in too much of a hurry to get up for one of his rim-rocking dunks.

But, even in context, I’d say Collins has been the third-best rookie so far behind Ben Simmons and Jayson Tatum. Collins will have to get better at more things (and, related, earn a larger role) to have the same kind of impact as Simmons and Tatum but the early results are promising.
myAJC
jayu70
RealGM

Post#228 » by jayu70 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#229 » by jayu70 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:13 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#230 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Scouting report on JC after the first month of his career:

NBA Rookie Ladder

7. John Collins (Atlanta Hawks, PF)

College basketball's leader in player efficiency rating a year ago, John Collins ranks second among rookies playing at least 20 minutes.

He's leaning almost exclusively on his athleticism, activity and motor for offense. Collins' 3.6 points per game as a roll man is in the top 20 in the league. His 3.3 points as a cutter is top 10. Seventy percent of his offense has come off zero dribbles, which points to his role as a catch-and-finisher.

Shooting 54.5 percent from the floor and grabbing 12.2 rebounds per 36 minutes, Collins has seen his activity and efficiency carry over to the pros.

He's on track to emerge as starter for the Atlanta Hawks while he works on building his defensive IQ and offensive skill.
Bleacher Report

He's being put in position to get great production currently. But I hope it isn't coming at the expense of further development of his game.

There's no denying he has talent. Let's maximize it.

#Developmentoverwins or something like that...
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#231 » by Revived » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Not a Hawks fan so can anyone explain to me why Collins isn’t starting?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#232 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 am

Revived wrote:Not a Hawks fan so can anyone explain to me why Collins isn’t starting?

Ayton, Donic, Bagley, etc.
Seriously, your first question should have been why isn't he getting more minutes. 1. He has a fouling problem and 2. His defense needs work - you have to play some kind of defense for Bud to see minutes. Fortunately, he has been getting more minutes and his defense is looking a lot better.
Bud also doesnt think he and Dedmon can coexist (shooting from range) but as we saw last game they can. Put Collins in the PnR, Dedmon at the elbow and corner 3.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#233 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:53 pm

John Collins’ rookie season shows value of having one elite advantage

John Collins has been a valuable offensive player so far in his rookie season with the Hawks, and his success could help teams understand how they might support the cluster of big men projected in the late first round of the 2018 NBA draft.

Collins was incredibly productive in his sophomore season at Wake Forest, and he has continued to be that type of player so far in his NBA career. The No. 21 overall pick has been most effective when he keeps things simple.

Over three-quarters of Collins’ shots have come within five feet of the basket, according to NBA.com shooting split data, and he has converted 66 percent of those looks. Even more remarkable is that nearly a third of his shots have been dunks. When Collins has an opportunity to finish around the hoop, he does so loudly.

What truly sets Collins apart is that he has continued to produce in the NBA at levels near those he did in college. Finishing and rebounding were his calling cards as a college player and he’s been able to translate those skills to remarkable degree.

Collins’ performance shows that scoring big men can still be effective in this league and that bigs do not necessarily need to develop secondary skills to be productive right away.
The Step Back
jayu70
RealGM

Post#234 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
John Collins’ rookie season shows value of having one elite advantage

John Collins has been a valuable offensive player so far in his rookie season with the Hawks, and his success could help teams understand how they might support the cluster of big men projected in the late first round of the 2018 NBA draft.

Collins was incredibly productive in his sophomore season at Wake Forest, and he has continued to be that type of player so far in his NBA career. The No. 21 overall pick has been most effective when he keeps things simple.

Over three-quarters of Collins’ shots have come within five feet of the basket, according to NBA.com shooting split data, and he has converted 66 percent of those looks. Even more remarkable is that nearly a third of his shots have been dunks. When Collins has an opportunity to finish around the hoop, he does so loudly.

What truly sets Collins apart is that he has continued to produce in the NBA at levels near those he did in college. Finishing and rebounding were his calling cards as a college player and he’s been able to translate those skills to remarkable degree.

Collins’ performance shows that scoring big men can still be effective in this league and that bigs do not necessarily need to develop secondary skills to be productive right away.
The Step Back

66% - That number should even be higher, there were a few games where he missed like 4 bunnies in one game, a couple missed dunks in a few games.
I don't remember which analyst said this (I think Jay Bilas on draft night) 'don't try to have him do new things as a rookie, let him do what he does well to start then develop the rest of his game over time.' Or something like that.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#235 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:45 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#236 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 am

After watching the Clippers, Collins reminds me of a young poor man's Blake Griffin
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#237 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:47 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:After watching the Clippers, Collins reminds me of a young poor man's Blake Griffin

Not that poor lol...
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#238 » by MaceCase » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:32 pm

Eh, Griffin was a far superior ball handler and passer as a rookie. The only comparisons are their finishing ability and rebounding.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM

Post#239 » by jayu70 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 am

Hi praise from Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan...
The L.A. Clippers frontcourt duo of Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan have been thoroughly impressed with rookie big man John Collins and the strides he’s taken to become the starting power forward of the Atlanta Hawks.

The No. 19 overall pick in this year’s draft has shown plenty of athleticism during his stint in the Summer League, and his promise hasn’t changed when playing the big boys during the regular season.

“I like his game a lot,” said Griffin, according to ESPN’s Eric Yeboah. “I’ve watched him play this season. Physically he’s ready. He plays the game the right way. He does exactly what I’m assuming he’s supposed to do within their offense. He’s got a super high ceiling.”

“I like him a lot,” said Jordan, echoing his teammate’s thoughts on the rookie. “He’s physical, long and very good rebounder. He’s active around the rim and dunks everything. He just need to keep working. He has a great coach in Budenholzer. They put him in spots he can be successful. I like him a ton.”

jayu70
RealGM

Post#240 » by jayu70 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:01 pm

Coming in at #3.
Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks